From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: SOT - Fungus ID
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 15:57:02 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 14:57 UTC

This small "mushroom" has been coming up in one of the beds. The spores
might have come in with the woodchip/bark mulch. There are perhaps a
couple of dozen ranging in cap diameter from 2 to 4 cm, and up to 6 cm
high. The gills are tan to light brown, and there is a
barely-perceptible ring.; the stem is plain and off-white to cream They
have a slight smell - Marmite?
<https://ibb.co/1RbDn4h>

Perhaps it's a result of all that in rain in May, but it seems an
unusual time for a mushroom to appear. Anyone know what it is? I thought
it might be a Lepiota or Pholiota, but those are autumnal. The top of
the cap is a bit like a Sepia Bolete, but the underside and stem are not
right, and it's too early.

--

Jeff

Re: SOT - Fungus ID

<s98a97$oeg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=997&group=uk.rec.gardening#997

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: SOT - Fungus ID
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 17:05:59 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 16:05 UTC

On 02/06/2021 15:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
> This small "mushroom" has been coming up in one of the beds. The spores
> might have come in with the woodchip/bark mulch. There are perhaps a
> couple of dozen ranging in cap diameter from 2 to 4 cm, and up to 6 cm
> high. The gills are tan to light brown, and there is a
> barely-perceptible ring.; the stem is plain and off-white to cream They
> have a slight smell - Marmite?
> <https://ibb.co/1RbDn4h>
>
> Perhaps it's a result of all that in rain in May, but it seems an
> unusual time for a mushroom to appear. Anyone know what it is? I thought
> it might be a Lepiota or Pholiota, but those are autumnal. The top of
> the cap is a bit like a Sepia Bolete, but the underside and stem are not
> right, and it's too early.

1. its not too early for some species and that is an important identifier
2. you obviously know the basics, so why not a picture of the stipe and
gills?

might be a pluteus..or a tricholoma

it LOOKS like tricholoma focale, which seems very rare and found on
scots pine waste

Bit early for it though
Ans its more mealy than marmitey

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Re: SOT - Fungus ID

<s9dbs2$geu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=999&group=uk.rec.gardening#999

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 15:03:46 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 14:03 UTC

> On 02/06/2021 15:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> This small "mushroom" has been coming up in one of the beds. The spores
>> might have come in with the woodchip/bark mulch. There are perhaps a
>> couple of dozen ranging in cap diameter from 2 to 4 cm, and up to 6 cm
>> high. The gills are tan to light brown, and there is a
>> barely-perceptible ring.; the stem is plain and off-white to cream They
>> have a slight smell - Marmite?
>> <https://ibb.co/1RbDn4h>
>>
>> Perhaps it's a result of all that in rain in May, but it seems an
>> unusual time for a mushroom to appear. Anyone know what it is? I thought
>> it might be a Lepiota or Pholiota, but those are autumnal. The top of
>> the cap is a bit like a Sepia Bolete, but the underside and stem are not
>> right, and it's too early.
>>
> 1. its not too early for some species and that is an important identifier
> 2. you obviously know the basics, so why not a picture of the stipe and
> gills?

It rained a little last night and this morning, and they were already
going over a little, but this is the best of those remaining:

<https://ibb.co/k19mSpC>

Does that help?

--

Jeff

Re: SOT - Fungus ID

<s9dg7c$iod$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1000&group=uk.rec.gardening#1000

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 16:18:04 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 15:18 UTC

On 04/06/2021 15:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 02/06/2021 17:05, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 02/06/2021 15:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> This small "mushroom" has been coming up in one of the beds. The spores
>>> might have come in with the woodchip/bark mulch. There are perhaps a
>>> couple of dozen ranging in cap diameter from 2 to 4 cm, and up to 6 cm
>>> high. The gills are tan to light brown, and there is a
>>> barely-perceptible ring.; the stem is plain and off-white to cream They
>>> have a slight smell - Marmite?
>>> <https://ibb.co/1RbDn4h>
>>>
>>> Perhaps it's a result of all that in rain in May, but it seems an
>>> unusual time for a mushroom to appear. Anyone know what it is? I thought
>>> it might be a Lepiota or Pholiota, but those are autumnal. The top of
>>> the cap is a bit like a Sepia Bolete, but the underside and stem are not
>>> right, and it's too early.
>>>
>> 1. its not too early for some species and that is an important identifier
>> 2. you obviously know the basics, so why not a picture of the stipe and
>> gills?
>
> It rained a little last night and this morning, and they were already
> going over a little, but this is the best of those remaining:
>
> <https://ibb.co/k19mSpC>
>
> Does that help?

Well the gills seem a little more brownthat they ought to be for
tricholoma focale, but apart from that and being far too early, it fits

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that
don't protect, masquerading as public servants who don't serve the public.

Re: SOT - Fungus ID

<s9dm9q$1hk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1001&group=uk.rec.gardening#1001

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 18:01:46 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 17:01 UTC

> On 04/06/2021 15:03, Jeff Layman wrote:

>>> 1. its not too early for some species and that is an important identifier
>>> 2. you obviously know the basics, so why not a picture of the stipe and
>>> gills?
>>
>> It rained a little last night and this morning, and they were already
>> going over a little, but this is the best of those remaining:
>>
>> <https://ibb.co/k19mSpC>
>>
>> Does that help?
>>
> Well the gills seem a little more brownthat they ought to be for
> tricholoma focale, but apart from that and being far too early, it fits

Could well be a Tricholoma. I agree that the gill colour isn't right for
focale, but as for timing our weather has been so mad it could well have
induced fruiting way out of season.

--

Jeff