Use extra care when cleaning on stairs.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / computer parts

SubjectAuthor
* computer partsJim Hicks
+* Re: computer partsJaimie Vandenbergh
|`* Re: computer partsJim Hicks
| +* Re: computer partsJaimie Vandenbergh
| |`* Re: computer partsJaimie Vandenbergh
| | `- Re: computer partsChris
| `* Re: computer partsTheo
|  `- Re: computer partsJim Hicks
+- Re: computer partsChris
`* Re: computer partsJim Hicks
 +- Re: computer partsAndy Burns
 `* Re: computer partsTheo
  `- Re: computer partsnewshound

1
computer parts

<s9te5i$ftp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1002&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1002

From: james.hi...@gmail.com.invalid (Jim Hicks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: computer parts
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:21:06 +0100
 by: Jim Hicks - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:21 UTC

My mother is proposing to put together a computer for a friend.
The following parts are being considered, and I want to make sure
we are not about to do anything obviously stupid. Comments welcome.

The keyboard, mouse, speakers, microphone and screen will come from
the previous computer.

ATX case
<https://www.ebuyer.com/983259-neutron-lab-atom-k-15-argb-pc-case-atomk-15>

ASUS Intel PRIME H310-PLUS R2.0 Motherboard
<https://www.ebuyer.com/912669-asus-intel-prime-h310-plus-r2-0-motherboard-prime-h310-plus-r2-0>

power supply with 8-pin 12v connector:
Thermaltake TR2 S Series 500W Power Supply 80 Plus
<https://www.ebuyer.com/788081-thermaltake-tr2-s-series-500w-power-supply-80-plus-ps-trs-0500npcwuk-2>

Intel Core i5 9400F 9th Gen Coffee Lake 6 Core Processor
<https://www.ebuyer.com/874796-intel-core-i5-9400f-9th-gen-coffee-lake-6-core-processor-bx80684i59400f>
Does anyone know for certain whether this comes with a fan in the box?
Some processors don't.

WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 SSD
<https://www.ebuyer.com/947319-wd-blue-sn550-1tb-nvme-m-2-2280-pcie-gen3-ssd-wds100t2b0c>
It appears from the photgraph that this SSD has the required M key.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Red
<https://www.ebuyer.com/743008-corsair-vengeance-lpx-32gb-2x16gb-ddr4-dram-2666mhz-c16-memory-kit-cmk32gx4m2a2666c16r>

fixed focus camera
Aukey 1080p Webcam
<https://www.ebuyer.com/1125420-aukey-1080p-webcam-skype-teams-zoom-compatible-pc-lm1e>

Asus DRW-24D5MT 24x Internal DVD Writer - OEM Bare Drive
<https://www.ebuyer.com/771597-asus-drw-24d5mt-24x-internal-dvd-writer-oem-bare-drive-drw-24d5mt-blk-b-as->

Also, any tips on installing Ubuntu Focal Fossa with XFCE on a computer
using UEFI would be appreciated.

Jim Hicks

Re: computer parts

<iif75tFrs2iU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1003&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1003

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: computer parts
Date: 10 Jun 2021 19:23:41 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:23 UTC

On 10 Jun 2021 at 17:21:06 BST, "Jim Hicks"
<james.hicks78@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> My mother is proposing to put together a computer for a friend.
> The following parts are being considered, and I want to make sure
> we are not about to do anything obviously stupid. Comments welcome.
>
> The keyboard, mouse, speakers, microphone and screen will come from
> the previous computer.
>

> ATX case
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/983259-neutron-lab-atom-k-15-argb-pc-case-atomk-15>
>

> ASUS Intel PRIME H310-PLUS R2.0 Motherboard
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/912669-asus-intel-prime-h310-plus-r2-0-motherboard-prime-h310-plus-r2-0>

Although this motherboard does have an M.2 socket, it's running really
slowly: it's "x2 PCI Express® 2.0 bandwidth" when you'd expect x4 PCIe
3.0. This mobo maxes at 1gig/sec (roughly) which is under half what the
NVME can do.

> power supply with 8-pin 12v connector:
> Thermaltake TR2 S Series 500W Power Supply 80 Plus
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/788081-thermaltake-tr2-s-series-500w-power-supply-80-plus-ps-trs-0500npcwuk-2>
>

> Intel Core i5 9400F 9th Gen Coffee Lake 6 Core Processor
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/874796-intel-core-i5-9400f-9th-gen-coffee-lake-6-core-processor-bx80684i59400f>
> Does anyone know for certain whether this comes with a fan in the box?
> Some processors don't.

Don't know, but the main problem is that it doesn't have onboard
graphics, so you have no graphics for your machine at all.

> WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 SSD
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/947319-wd-blue-sn550-1tb-nvme-m-2-2280-pcie-gen3-ssd-wds100t2b0c>
> It appears from the photgraph that this SSD has the required M key.
>
> Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Red
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/743008-corsair-vengeance-lpx-32gb-2x16gb-ddr4-dram-2666mhz-c16-memory-kit-cmk32gx4m2a2666c16r>
>

> fixed focus camera
> Aukey 1080p Webcam
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/1125420-aukey-1080p-webcam-skype-teams-zoom-compatible-pc-lm1e>
>
> Asus DRW-24D5MT 24x Internal DVD Writer - OEM Bare Drive
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/771597-asus-drw-24d5mt-24x-internal-dvd-writer-oem-bare-drive-drw-24d5mt-blk-b-as->

Is this needed for a specific purpose?

> Also, any tips on installing Ubuntu Focal Fossa with XFCE on a computer
> using UEFI would be appreciated.

Set the mobo's firmware to boot UEFI and it should just do the right
thing.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sent from my PDP11/45

Re: computer parts

<s9tuvr$er$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1004&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1004

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:08:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:B8eml8Sc62bJHztUtgc9pLuK3So=
 by: Chris - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:08 UTC

Jim Hicks <james.hicks78@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> My mother is proposing to put together a computer for a friend.
> The following parts are being considered, and I want to make sure
> we are not about to do anything obviously stupid. Comments welcome.

You haven't mentioned what it's going to be used for. Standard office/web
stuff or something else? Also what's the budget?

> The keyboard, mouse, speakers, microphone and screen will come from
> the previous computer.
>

> ATX case
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/983259-neutron-lab-atom-k-15-argb-pc-case-atomk-15>
>

> ASUS Intel PRIME H310-PLUS R2.0 Motherboard
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/912669-asus-intel-prime-h310-plus-r2-0-motherboard-prime-h310-plus-r2-0>
>
> power supply with 8-pin 12v connector:
> Thermaltake TR2 S Series 500W Power Supply 80 Plus
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/788081-thermaltake-tr2-s-series-500w-power-supply-80-plus-ps-trs-0500npcwuk-2>
>

> Intel Core i5 9400F 9th Gen Coffee Lake 6 Core Processor
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/874796-intel-core-i5-9400f-9th-gen-coffee-lake-6-core-processor-bx80684i59400f>
> Does anyone know for certain whether this comes with a fan in the box?
> Some processors don't.

You're missing a graphics card or integrated cpu. Something like this has
integrated graphics
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i5-9400-s-1151-coffee-lake-refresh-6-core-6-thread-29ghz-41ghz-turbo-9mb-cache-1050mhz-gp

It'll be fine for most needs except gaming.

> WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 SSD
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/947319-wd-blue-sn550-1tb-nvme-m-2-2280-pcie-gen3-ssd-wds100t2b0c>
> It appears from the photgraph that this SSD has the required M key.
>
> Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Red
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/743008-corsair-vengeance-lpx-32gb-2x16gb-ddr4-dram-2666mhz-c16-memory-kit-cmk32gx4m2a2666c16r>

32GB is a little excessive. Unless you really need it 8GB or 16GB is fine.

> fixed focus camera
> Aukey 1080p Webcam
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/1125420-aukey-1080p-webcam-skype-teams-zoom-compatible-pc-lm1e>
>
> Asus DRW-24D5MT 24x Internal DVD Writer - OEM Bare Drive
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/771597-asus-drw-24d5mt-24x-internal-dvd-writer-oem-bare-drive-drw-24d5mt-blk-b-as->
>

> Also, any tips on installing Ubuntu Focal Fossa with XFCE on a computer
> using UEFI would be appreciated.
>

> Jim Hicks

Re: computer parts

<sade6g$klv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1020&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1020

From: james.hi...@gmail.com.invalid (Jim Hicks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 18:59:43 +0100
 by: Jim Hicks - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 17:59 UTC

On 10/06/2021 20:23, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2021 at 17:21:06 BST, "Jim Hicks"
> <james.hicks78@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>> My mother is proposing to put together a computer for a friend.
>> The following parts are being considered, and I want to make sure
>> we are not about to do anything obviously stupid. Comments welcome.

>> The keyboard, mouse, speakers, microphone and screen will come from
>> the previous computer. ...

Thank you to both Jaimie and Chris for following up.

The friend won't be using the computer for anything more demanding than
video conferences over the Internet. It won't be used for games.

I know some aspects are over-specified for this, but my mother doesn't
seem to mind if someone else is paying!

>> ASUS Intel PRIME H310-PLUS R2.0 Motherboard

<https://www.ebuyer.com/912669-asus-intel-prime-h310-plus-r2-0-motherboard-prime-h310-plus-r2-0>

> Although this motherboard does have an M.2 socket, it's running really
> slowly: it's "x2 PCI Express® 2.0 bandwidth" when you'd expect x4 PCIe
> 3.0. This mobo maxes at 1gig/sec (roughly) which is under half what the
> NVME can do. ...

Thanks. That's exactly the sort of advice I was looking for.

Change of plan: MSI MAG B365M MORTAR mATX Motherboard:
<https://www.ebuyer.com/910787-msi-mag-b365m-mortar-matx-motherboard-mag-b365m-mortar>

> ... but the main problem is that it doesn't have onboard
> graphics, so you have no graphics for your machine at all.

Again, point well made. The last time I drew up a list of parts, I
think I didn't consider this as I wanted to use a discrete graphics card
anyway.

Graphics card (VGA output):
<https://www.ebuyer.com/737926-msi-geforce-gt-710-1gb-ddr3-low-profile-graphics-card-gt-710-1gd3h-lp>
I imagine the motherboard is capable of being used with a better card
than a PCI-Express 2.0 model.

The power supply that I was thinking of is now out of stock, so I'm now
planning on this one:
<https://www.ebuyer.com/856008-thermaltake-litepower-450w-psu-ps-ltp-0450npcnuk-2>

Again, thank you to both, and any further comments are welcome.

Jim Hicks

Re: computer parts

<iiuu5mFtb4jU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1021&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1021

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 16 Jun 2021 18:28:06 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 18:28 UTC

On 16 Jun 2021 at 18:59:43 BST, "Jim Hicks"
<james.hicks78@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Again, thank you to both, and any further comments are welcome.

That looks good to me! The only place I'd look at dropping the specs
would be to go down to 16meg for RAM.

If it helps, you can still activate Windows10 and get a full license for
that using a cheapo eBay £5 Windows7 license key.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
'I use a heap based stack storage system with a sorting
algorithm which has a major sort key being chronologically

Re: computer parts

<iiuu91FtbftU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1022&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1022

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 16 Jun 2021 18:29:54 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 18:29 UTC

On 16 Jun 2021 at 19:28:06 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 16 Jun 2021 at 18:59:43 BST, "Jim Hicks"
> <james.hicks78@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Again, thank you to both, and any further comments are welcome.

Oh: you may want to add a wifi card, depending on the physical situation
at the recipients. USB ones are a bit shit, a cheap PCIe one would be
better.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we
grow old because we stop playing"

Re: computer parts

<wXB*a8Pmy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1023&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1023

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 16 Jun 2021 23:32:34 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 22:32 UTC

Jim Hicks <james.hicks78@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> Change of plan: MSI MAG B365M MORTAR mATX Motherboard:
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/910787-msi-mag-b365m-mortar-matx-motherboard-mag-b365m-mortar>

Looks ok.

> > ... but the main problem is that it doesn't have onboard
> > graphics, so you have no graphics for your machine at all.
>
> Again, point well made. The last time I drew up a list of parts, I
> think I didn't consider this as I wanted to use a discrete graphics card
> anyway.
>
> Graphics card (VGA output):
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/737926-msi-geforce-gt-710-1gb-ddr3-low-profile-graphics-card-gt-710-1gd3h-lp>
> I imagine the motherboard is capable of being used with a better card
> than a PCI-Express 2.0 model.

Have you thought about just buying the Intel CPU with integrated graphics:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i5-9400-s-1151-coffee-lake-refresh-6-core-6-thread-29ghz-41ghz-turbo-9mb-cache-1050mhz-gp

Saves having to have another PCIe card that takes power and space, and
causes more driver hassles (that old nvidia card won't do much for graphics
performance anyway).

Or is this because you actually have a VGA-only monitor? That should be
doable with a suitable adapter from HDMI.

Theo

Re: computer parts

<saet24$vr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1024&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1024

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 07:19:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:461YG8hLZzmu7gSaBCIVZTkg/wM=
 by: Chris - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 07:19 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2021 at 19:28:06 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On 16 Jun 2021 at 18:59:43 BST, "Jim Hicks"
>> <james.hicks78@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Again, thank you to both, and any further comments are welcome.
>
> Oh: you may want to add a wifi card, depending on the physical situation
> at the recipients. USB ones are a bit shit, a cheap PCIe one would be
> better.

Seconded. I had a USB one that refused to go over 2mbps IIRC with windows -
it worked fine under linux - so ended up getting a PCIe one. They're pretty
cheap so can get one easily for the extra 16GB of RAM you won't be needing
;)

Re: computer parts

<saqlvg$bef$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1067&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1067

From: james.hi...@gmail.com.invalid (Jim Hicks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 19:32:16 +0100
 by: Jim Hicks - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 18:32 UTC

On 16/06/2021 23:32, Theo wrote:
>... Have you thought about just buying the Intel CPU with integrated graphics:
>https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i5-9400-s-1151-coffee-lake-refresh-6-core-6-thread-29ghz-41ghz-turbo-9mb-cache-1050mhz-gp
> Or is this because you actually have a VGA-only monitor? That should be
> doable with a suitable adapter from HDMI.

Thanks, Theo.

Yes, the existing screen is a VGA screen. Our experience with passive
HDMI to VGA adaptors has been mixed.

Thank you again to everyone who took the trouble to follow up.

Jim Hicks

Re: computer parts

<sbnm3f$17n$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1148&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1148

From: james.hi...@gmail.com.invalid (Jim Hicks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 19:32:15 +0100
 by: Jim Hicks - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 18:32 UTC

On 10/06/2021 17:21, I wrote:

> My mother is proposing to put together a computer for a friend.
> ATX case
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/983259-neutron-lab-atom-k-15-argb-pc-case-atomk-15>
> Intel Core i5 9400F 9th Gen Coffee Lake 6 Core Processor
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/874796-intel-core-i5-9400f-9th-gen-coffee-lake-6-core-processor-bx80684i59400f>
>
> Does anyone know for certain whether this comes with a fan in the box?...

It did.

> Asus DRW-24D5MT 24x Internal DVD Writer - OEM Bare Drive
> <https://www.ebuyer.com/771597-asus-drw-24d5mt-24x-internal-dvd-writer-oem-bare-drive-drw-24d5mt-blk-b-as->

Everything fitted together and worked, except...

The case has no bays with openings at the front.

We used an old case instead.

It's our problem, and we'll work out what to do about it.

(I'm waiting for someone to say "angle grinder".)

> Also, any tips on installing Ubuntu Focal Fossa with XFCE on a computer
> using UEFI would be appreciated.

The installer didn't seem to offer the option, so I just installed Linux
the old way.

Again, many thanks to those who responded.

Jim Hicks

Re: computer parts

<ik951nF2d89U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1149&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1149

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 19:43:02 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 18:43 UTC

Jim Hicks wrote:

> The case has no bays with openings at the front.

Annoying.

Re: computer parts

<xXB*Z-9ny@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1150&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1150

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 02 Jul 2021 22:06:23 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 21:06 UTC

Jim Hicks <james.hicks78@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> Everything fitted together and worked, except...
>
> The case has no bays with openings at the front.
>
> We used an old case instead.
>
> It's our problem, and we'll work out what to do about it.
>
> (I'm waiting for someone to say "angle grinder".)

Angle grinder! (do I win?)

That's annoying. I actually misread the spec as 3x 5.25" drive bays not
3x 2.5" drive bays, and wondered how they would make a case with 5.25" bays
with no access, but I suppose it makes sense if you all you're putting in
bays is HDDs and SSDs. It's a bit irritating as people often put card
readers and USB hubs in front-facing bays these days.

What do you want front bays for? If it's an optical drive, you could look
at a slot loading mechanism, and then see about making an appropriate slot.
Possibly more Dremel than angle grinder...

Theo

Re: computer parts

<CpKdnTIMrpAWsH39nZ2dnUU78NnNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1151&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1151

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: newsho...@stevejqr.plus.com (newshound)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:27:38 +0100
 by: newshound - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:27 UTC

On 02/07/2021 22:06, Theo wrote:
> Jim Hicks <james.hicks78@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> Everything fitted together and worked, except...
>>
>> The case has no bays with openings at the front.
>>
>> We used an old case instead.
>>
>> It's our problem, and we'll work out what to do about it.
>>
>> (I'm waiting for someone to say "angle grinder".)
>
> Angle grinder! (do I win?)

Beat me to it!

> That's annoying. I actually misread the spec as 3x 5.25" drive bays not
> 3x 2.5" drive bays, and wondered how they would make a case with 5.25" bays
> with no access, but I suppose it makes sense if you all you're putting in
> bays is HDDs and SSDs. It's a bit irritating as people often put card
> readers and USB hubs in front-facing bays these days.
>
> What do you want front bays for? If it's an optical drive, you could look
> at a slot loading mechanism, and then see about making an appropriate slot.
> Possibly more Dremel than angle grinder...
>
> Theo

Just used my new Lidl cordless to trim a lock slot in a metal cabinet
where I had no mains. Brilliant!