From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Jostaberry
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:36:28 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:36 UTC

I have 2 Jostaberries: one planted in the garden about 4 years ago and
one planted in a large tub about 3 years ago. The one in the garden
looks very healthy - average height about 4' - 5', spread about 6', with
lots of young growth and leaves but very little fruit. The one in the
sub looks very different - tall and rangy, not bushy, but carrying a lot
more fruit.

What should I do (and when) to encourage the garden one to produce more
fruit?
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Jostaberry

<s9qctc$6k9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1007&group=uk.rec.gardening#1007

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Jostaberry
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 13:41:14 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 12:41 UTC

On 07/06/2021 13:36, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> I have 2 Jostaberries: one planted in the garden about 4 years ago and
> one planted in a large tub about 3 years ago.  The one in the garden
> looks very healthy - average height about 4' - 5', spread about 6', with
> lots of young growth and leaves but very little fruit.  The one in the
> sub looks very different - tall and rangy, not bushy, but carrying a lot
> more fruit.
>
> What should I do (and when) to encourage the garden one to produce more
> fruit?

They seem to be quite tetchy about fruiting and need to feel a bit
threatened. I grow mine in a sunny position in not very good soil.

Soil too rich will be lots of vegetative growth. My problem is more that
birds will kill for them so if not netted they go before almost anything
else apart from the blueberries. A friend I gave a rooted cutting to got
nothing but green growth - I expect because their soil was too fertile.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Jostaberry

<iielk0FoheiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1016&group=uk.rec.gardening#1016

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 15:24:00 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:24 UTC

On 09/06/2021 13:41, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 07/06/2021 13:36, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> I have 2 Jostaberries: one planted in the garden about 4 years ago and
>> one planted in a large tub about 3 years ago.  The one in the garden
>> looks very healthy - average height about 4' - 5', spread about 6',
>> with lots of young growth and leaves but very little fruit.  The one
>> in the sub looks very different - tall and rangy, not bushy, but
>> carrying a lot more fruit.
>>
>> What should I do (and when) to encourage the garden one to produce
>> more fruit?
>
> They seem to be quite tetchy about fruiting and need to feel a bit
> threatened. I grow mine in a sunny position in not very good soil.
>
> Soil too rich will be lots of vegetative growth. My problem is more that
> birds will kill for them so if not netted they go before almost anything
> else apart from the blueberries. A friend I gave a rooted cutting to got
> nothing but green growth - I expect because their soil was too fertile.

Thanks, Martin. I would have said that the garden soil was very poor,
but I will avoid enriching it in any way and see if the Josta does
better next year. Or it will have to go. I'll tell it that - it might
help! Good to be warned about the birds, too.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Jostaberry

<s9vbpm$ha6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1018&group=uk.rec.gardening#1018

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:52:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:52 UTC

In article <iielk0FoheiU1@mid.individual.net>,
Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks, Martin. I would have said that the garden soil was very poor,
>but I will avoid enriching it in any way and see if the Josta does
>better next year. Or it will have to go. I'll tell it that - it might
>help! Good to be warned about the birds, too.

I had some for a few years, and got rid of them, for the same reason
as you. Black and red currants do fine, as did gooseberries when I
grew them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Jostaberry

<sa77pf$1pd4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1020&group=uk.rec.gardening#1020

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:33:35 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 09:33 UTC

On 11/06/2021 10:52, Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <iielk0FoheiU1@mid.individual.net>,
> Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>> Thanks, Martin. I would have said that the garden soil was very poor,
>> but I will avoid enriching it in any way and see if the Josta does
>> better next year. Or it will have to go. I'll tell it that - it might
>> help! Good to be warned about the birds, too.
>
> I had some for a few years, and got rid of them, for the same reason
> as you. Black and red currants do fine, as did gooseberries when I
> grew them.

My gooseberries are martyrs to American mildew and nothing seems to help
any more apart from rigorous pruning, air and lots of sunshine.
Chemicals that could possibly control it have all been banned now :(

It is a pity as when get a decent crop they are really good sweet red
desert gooseberries but they are mostly going to be grubbed up this
year. They were on their last chance last year and then I relented.

FWIW I'm on fairly heavy neutral clay and they all grow very well. Only
the gooseberries have problems (and they always do these days). The crop
sets OK but before it is ripe they get mildew and become inedible.

Only the bush in the sunniest spot has any crop at all this year. If it
is lucky it might just get another chance. The rest are doomed.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown