From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Odd dishwasher fault
Date: 31 Jul 2023 09:45:13 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 09:45 UTC

What causes a dishwasher to stop mid cycle if it’s not a leak, not a pump
failure, not a heater failure and not a power cut?

Our Fisher Paykel twin drawer dishwasher has twice paused after 100
minutes. Still has power, timer showing remains minutes of the program,
hot water in bottom of machine. Just looks like it’s paused for some
reason.

Just tried a short rinse program and all the pumps are working fine and it
completed that program.

Brain failure? I can’t think of any simple electro-mechanical issue that
could cause this.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Odd dishwasher fault

<G9j*AAFmz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100001&group=uk.d-i-y#100001

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Odd dishwasher fault
Date: 31 Jul 2023 16:59:36 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:59 UTC

Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

> What causes a dishwasher to stop mid cycle if it’s not a leak, not a pump
> failure, not a heater failure and not a power cut?
>
> Our Fisher Paykel twin drawer dishwasher has twice paused after 100
> minutes. Still has power, timer showing remains minutes of the program,
> hot water in bottom of machine. Just looks like it’s paused for some
> reason.

Is it waiting for some sensor to give an expected reading before continuing?
The sensor doesn't, so it stalls?

Friend of mine had a problem where the washing machine suddenly took 8 hours
to do a programme. Turned out a visiting plumber had disconnected it from
the cold water supply and mistakenly reconnected it to the hot: when they
did a 30C cycle the machine would fill with 60C hot water and then wait
until the water had cooled down to 30C before continuing with the programme.

Do you know what the cycle would normally do at 100 mins in?

Theo

Re: Odd dishwasher fault

<1812637748.712516008.139174.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100003&group=uk.d-i-y#100003

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 31 Jul 2023 17:10:08 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 17:10 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What causes a dishwasher to stop mid cycle if it’s not a leak, not a pump
>> failure, not a heater failure and not a power cut?
>>
>> Our Fisher Paykel twin drawer dishwasher has twice paused after 100
>> minutes. Still has power, timer showing remains minutes of the program,
>> hot water in bottom of machine. Just looks like it’s paused for some
>> reason.
>
> Is it waiting for some sensor to give an expected reading before continuing?
> The sensor doesn't, so it stalls?
>
> Friend of mine had a problem where the washing machine suddenly took 8 hours
> to do a programme. Turned out a visiting plumber had disconnected it from
> the cold water supply and mistakenly reconnected it to the hot: when they
> did a 30C cycle the machine would fill with 60C hot water and then wait
> until the water had cooled down to 30C before continuing with the programme.
>
> Do you know what the cycle would normally do at 100 mins in?

We’re normally asleep at that time. ;-). It’s a 162 minute “economy” cycle
that heats the water less and pumps for longer. At 100 minutes I doubt
it’s reached it’s rinse cycle point. There was certainly warm water in it
this morning so the heater seems to be working. No evidence of a nighttime
power cut (which we normally know about as the oven clock stops working).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Odd dishwasher fault

<uad2q3$26p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100042&group=uk.d-i-y#100042

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:06:23 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:06 UTC

Over filling and safety cut out?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tim+" <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in message

> What causes a dishwasher to stop mid cycle if it's not a leak, not a pump
> failure, not a heater failure and not a power cut?
>
> Our Fisher Paykel twin drawer dishwasher has twice paused after 100
> minutes. Still has power, timer showing remains minutes of the program,
> hot water in bottom of machine. Just looks like it's paused for some
> reason.
>
> Just tried a short rinse program and all the pumps are working fine and it
> completed that program.
>
> Brain failure? I can't think of any simple electro-mechanical issue that
> could cause this.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Odd dishwasher fault

<1572617713.712748437.223001.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100157&group=uk.d-i-y#100157

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 3 Aug 2023 09:48:36 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 09:48 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What causes a dishwasher to stop mid cycle if it’s not a leak, not a pump
>> failure, not a heater failure and not a power cut?
>>
>> Our Fisher Paykel twin drawer dishwasher has twice paused after 100
>> minutes. Still has power, timer showing remains minutes of the program,
>> hot water in bottom of machine. Just looks like it’s paused for some
>> reason.
>
> Is it waiting for some sensor to give an expected reading before continuing?
> The sensor doesn't, so it stalls?
>
> Friend of mine had a problem where the washing machine suddenly took 8 hours
> to do a programme. Turned out a visiting plumber had disconnected it from
> the cold water supply and mistakenly reconnected it to the hot: when they
> did a 30C cycle the machine would fill with 60C hot water and then wait
> until the water had cooled down to 30C before continuing with the programme.
>
> Do you know what the cycle would normally do at 100 mins in?
>
> Theo

Bit of an update.

I’ve checked the pump (by swapping the rotor from the second drawer) but
that doesn’t make any difference.

There’s a time element to it’s failure. When it stops there are no error
codes but the plate and brush symbols are blinking. During normal
operation only the brush symbol blinks.

After having stopped for several minutes the machine gives three double
beeps. At this point I can restart the machine but it only runs for a
couple of minutes before stopping again.

I’m suspecting a control board issue which I guess I could test by swapping
boards with the other drawer unless anyone has any other suggestion.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Odd dishwasher fault

<12e24b8c-1bb4-4f02-b7fd-b7187e917d86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100190&group=uk.d-i-y#100190

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 09:41:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 16:41 UTC

On Monday, 31 July 2023 at 18:10:14 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

> We’re normally asleep at that time. ;-). It’s a 162 minute “economy” cycle
> that heats the water less and pumps for longer.

The 'economy' setting on my dishwasher uses less water but significantly more electricity than any other programme.

Bill

Re: Odd dishwasher fault

<JBlHlmFjJAzkFAiJ@ghcq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100214&group=uk.d-i-y#100214

From: ber...@bert.bert.com (bert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 20:39:15 +0100
 by: bert - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 19:39 UTC

In article
<1572617713.712748437.223001.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>,
Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> writes
>Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What causes a dishwasher to stop mid cycle if it’s not a leak, not a pump
>>> failure, not a heater failure and not a power cut?
>>>
>>> Our Fisher Paykel twin drawer dishwasher has twice paused after 100
>>> minutes. Still has power, timer showing remains minutes of the program,
>>> hot water in bottom of machine. Just looks like it’s paused for some
>>> reason.
>>
>> Is it waiting for some sensor to give an expected reading before continuing?
>> The sensor doesn't, so it stalls?
>>
>> Friend of mine had a problem where the washing machine suddenly took 8 hours
>> to do a programme. Turned out a visiting plumber had disconnected it from
>> the cold water supply and mistakenly reconnected it to the hot: when they
>> did a 30C cycle the machine would fill with 60C hot water and then wait
>> until the water had cooled down to 30C before continuing with the programme.
>>
>> Do you know what the cycle would normally do at 100 mins in?
>>
>> Theo
>>

>Bit of an update.
>
>I’ve checked the pump (by swapping the rotor from the second drawer) but
>that doesn’t make any difference.
>
>There’s a time element to it’s failure. When it stops there are no error
>codes but the plate and brush symbols are blinking. During normal
>operation only the brush symbol blinks.
>
>After having stopped for several minutes the machine gives three double
>beeps. At this point I can restart the machine but it only runs for a
>couple of minutes before stopping again.
>
>I’m suspecting a control board issue which I guess I could test by swapping
>boards with the other drawer unless anyone has any other suggestion.
>
>Tim

I had a similar problem with washing machine. Almost at the point of
giving up and ordering a new one more in hope than anything else I
checked the 13 amp plug and found it had overheated over the years and
the fuse was virtually powder, Replaced plug, socket and fuse and it
hasn't blinked since.
--
bert

Re: Odd dishwasher fault

<1208570752.712784051.726820.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100218&group=uk.d-i-y#100218

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 3 Aug 2023 20:46:20 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 20:46 UTC

wrights...@f2s.com <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 31 July 2023 at 18:10:14 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
>
>> We’re normally asleep at that time. ;-). It’s a 162 minute “economy” cycle
>> that heats the water less and pumps for longer.
>
> The 'economy' setting on my dishwasher uses less water but significantly
> more electricity than any other programme.
>
> Bill

Ours genuinely does seem to use less power. I used a power monitoring plug
to check this. Whether the power monitor is right is another question.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Odd dishwasher fault

<1548295538.712788499.137291.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100220&group=uk.d-i-y#100220

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 3 Aug 2023 20:52:10 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 20:52 UTC

bert <bert@bert.bert.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1572617713.712748437.223001.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>,
> Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> writes
>> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Is it waiting for some sensor to give an expected reading before continuing?
>>> The sensor doesn't, so it stalls?
>>>
>>> Friend of mine had a problem where the washing machine suddenly took 8 hours
>>> to do a programme. Turned out a visiting plumber had disconnected it from
>>> the cold water supply and mistakenly reconnected it to the hot: when they
>>> did a 30C cycle the machine would fill with 60C hot water and then wait
>>> until the water had cooled down to 30C before continuing with the programme.
>>>
>>> Do you know what the cycle would normally do at 100 mins in?
>>>
>>> Theo
>>>

>> Bit of an update.
>>
>> I’ve checked the pump (by swapping the rotor from the second drawer) but
>> that doesn’t make any difference.
>>
>> There’s a time element to it’s failure. When it stops there are no error
>> codes but the plate and brush symbols are blinking. During normal
>> operation only the brush symbol blinks.
>>
>> After having stopped for several minutes the machine gives three double
>> beeps. At this point I can restart the machine but it only runs for a
>> couple of minutes before stopping again.
>>
>> I’m suspecting a control board issue which I guess I could test by swapping
>> boards with the other drawer unless anyone has any other suggestion.
>>
>> Tim
>>
> I had a similar problem with washing machine. Almost at the point of
> giving up and ordering a new one more in hope than anything else I
> checked the 13 amp plug and found it had overheated over the years and
> the fuse was virtually powder, Replaced plug, socket and fuse and it
> hasn't blinked since.

Definitely not the case here. It’s a “two drawer” machine (essentially two
identical half sized machines stacked in a drawer arrangement). The lower
machine works perfectly.

It started making odd beeps and pumping noises when it was supposedly
turned off today and it wasn’t responding to button presses so I’ve taken
the plunge and ordered a new control board for it. Hopefully it’ll be good
for another 15 years. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Odd dishwasher fault

<uahnb3$14b0b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100250&group=uk.d-i-y#100250

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 02:21:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 02:21 UTC

On 3 Aug 2023 at 17:41:43 BST, wrightsaerials@f2s.com wrote:

> On Monday, 31 July 2023 at 18:10:14 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
>
>> We’re normally asleep at that time. ;-). It’s a 162 minute “economy” cycle
>> that heats the water less and pumps for longer.
>
> The 'economy' setting on my dishwasher uses less water but significantly more
> electricity than any other programme.

That's ridiculous - you'd think some sort of compo was in order.

My Bosch dishwasher does claim to save electricity - but only about 20%,
That's on a 5 hour programme, as opposed to the normal 2hrs20mins.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK