Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Play Want Bin, Level 3 (PWBE 7 Jun 2021)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 18:59:22 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:59 UTC

It was not the flu. I'm better now, and I'm sure that nobody actually
wants to hear about the old man ailments.

Play:
--=--

The Club (PC) - This is tremendously beautiful at 1920x1080 at full
texture resolution and colour depth. Of course, you can't save the game
because Games for Windows Live is gone and you can't make a new profile.
I'm sure there's some kind of workaround for that, but it took me four
hours to actually get the game running at all, so this is another case of
me getting great entertainment out of fettling and configuring but not
actually playing games.

Skyrim (Switch) - Sometimes you need comfort food when you feel awful and
just want to spend some time somewhere familiar. I swore that I wouldn't
pull out the Switch cart again, but I did spend a few medicated hours
exploring bits of mountain and field that I hadn't previously mapped. I
did also get the Special Edition on PC going for a while, just to mod the
hell out of it now that I have a machine that has enough grunt to do that
properly on. I should really do something other than a Bethsoft game.

Fallout 3 (PC) - That's not what I meant to do. Interestingly, the whole
of the Fallout mod community moved on to Fallout 4 pretty much in
lockstep, so all the user-generated content for this game seems to have
frozen in time at about ten years ago. I somehow stumbled into a game
opening scenario I'd never seen before, in that I didn't know it was
possible to rescue the childhood friend character from the beating she
gets at the beginning of the game without also getting into a fight with
the overseer. This game also looks really good with all the settings
cranked up, because that's a reason to keep going back to a dry well after
a whole decade.

Want:
--=--

To install all my other PC games (PC) - Torchlight is on that list, as are
a couple of the oddball early Total War games that I don't have on Steam.
I can't wait to have a fully installed Windows gaming laptop with hundreds
of games I won't play because I don't have time.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $2,788

-KKC, who should have caught up on some work this weekend.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @

Re: Play Want Bin, Level 3 (PWBE 7 Jun 2021)

<iia7fgFss27U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1002&group=uk.games.video.misc#1002

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Play Want Bin, Level 3 (PWBE 7 Jun 2021)
Date: 8 Jun 2021 21:58:08 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 21:58 UTC

On 7 Jun 2021 at 00:59:22 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> It was not the flu. I'm better now, and I'm sure that nobody actually
> wants to hear about the old man ailments.

Don't need to - covered in them already. Congrats on being better!

> Play:
> --=--
> did also get the Special Edition on PC going for a while, just to mod the
> hell out of it now that I have a machine that has enough grunt to do that
> properly on.

The laptop working out well then? That's good.

Beat Saber (VR, PC) - new music pack means new release means half the
mods haven't been updated, so I can't play a few of my favourite tracks
due to lack of required plugins to do the fancy stuff. But new music
pack! I pleased myself by knocking one of them out to a perfect in first
play at Expert/Faster, then getting 86% in whatever the top difficulty
is called. Blimey, pushing 300 hours and I can't remember that...

Monkey Island (Amiga) - still lovely. Haven't got to the insult
swordfighting yet. I refused to ask that guy in the Scumm Bar about
Loom.

Benefactor (Amiga) - now I've got over the "can't do long jumps" issue
by turning auto fire off... got to about level 20 or so, some pretty
complex rescues going on. The music isn't as good as I remember it - the
one that stuck in my head is from level 4 and is by far the best tune.

Dorfromantik (Windows), a gentle hextile-based building game in early
access/development phase. You get a pile of 100 tiles, and have to place
them in order - they're about an acre each, with houses, trees, fields,
rivers, grasslands, train tracks etc on. Little missions like "build a
town of 81 houses" or "a forest of at least 190 trees", gives you a
bunch more tiles to place. Very relaxing, and since an update doesn't
make the video fans spin up either.

> Want:
> --=--

To replay BotW, I think. But I really need to at least finish Yakuza 0
first, that's been on my plate for far too long - I'm 70% through the
real-estate subgame, and need to get that to 100% before moving on with
the story. I just gotta. But it's annoying.

> Bin:
> -==-

Sort of game related - I've taken up ordering Amiga bits as PCBs and
soldering them up, got quite good at it. The 'bin' is that ordering a
bunch means three weeks delay; the other components tend to take two
weeks; then I have to work out what to do with all the spares since PCBs
are so cheap that I get five or ten of them, and it takes a while to
palm them off on other people. The whole process, apart from 'making an
upgrade thing for cheaps' is pretty tedious. Current things in flight
are
1) CPU relocated and firmware chooser for an Amiga 1000 (which would
usually need a firmware floppy + workbench floppy)
2) ten PiStorm boards, the 'use a Pi 3a+ as your CPU/RAM/virtual HDD'
Amiga thingy - over two hundred 0.6mm legs to solder on that one :)
And that results in ordering more esoteric soldering (etc) kit, of
course.... I'll have a full-bore SMT rework station by August, I
expect.

> Expenditure:
> -----=-----

Definitely not counting this year.

> -KKC, who should have caught up on some work this weekend.

No, no you should not have. FFS look after yourself, because your
company won't.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
BANACH TARSKI is an anagram of BANACH TARSKI BANACH TARSKI

Re: Play Want Bin, Level 3 (PWBE 7 Jun 2021)

<KyTvI.87527$jM2.39368@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1003&group=uk.games.video.misc#1003

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 00:02:50 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 00:02 UTC

> Play:

VVVVVV (Linux) - I hadn't noticed that the source to this was released
some time back. (But not with an open-source licence, more of a
non-commercial-only sort of thing - which I really don't understand
doing for just the source without the data files, but oh well.) I got
it to compile on my Pi with minimal tweaking, and since I already
endured the pain of finding out about SDL_FRAMEBUFFER_ACCELERATION=0
and SDL_RENDER_DRIVER=software (documentation? what's that?), it ran
pretty well fullscreen in X despite using SDL2. And my old 2015 save
from the Linux x86 version still worked, so that was nice.

Solitaire (Linux etc.) - still testing my as-yet-unnamed awk port of
soliyawn/zcsoli on various awk versions. The problem is, there are a
lot of awk versions, and most run on many things. I've mostly settled
on GNU's gawk and Unix V7 awk as the obvious "extremes" to test (those
two probably being about as different as they could possibly be, with
V7 awk being up to 40 years older), but then there's mawk and BWK awk
and BusyBox awk... and the list goes on. Even something as random and
obscure as SunOS 4's (old) awk, which I thought I could ignore as
obviously just being a straight port of V7 awk, turns out to actually
be from SVR2 or something. So it's not exactly old awk, nor is it new
awk. But both are old now. My head hurts.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

VVVVVV requiring SDL_OpenURL() which it seems was only added to SDL2
(in terms of normal releases) in December 2020. Annoying.

-Rus.