From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Lights Saga - Final Final
Date: 6 Aug 2023 10:15:52 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 10:15 UTC

Tis done!

Thank you again to everybody for both the practical and moral support :-)

I went for a 20 AMP choc-box as I had 3 wires on the ring to contend with.
Used one side for the lighting ring leaving the other for the flex from
the chandelier. Cut a big enough hole in the ceiling to push it in (wore
my mask with 2 x side filters as it is Artex in a 1983 house). Then
drilled the 5" wooden pattress so I picked up the joint with both screws
and screwed it up as a test so I knew it all fitted.

Then fitted the chandelier to the pattress, balanced it a bit on the
up-lighter, made the connections and screwed the pattress up. All the
affected lights are working - although at some stage I'll have to decide
whether or not I want a new outside light, 60 watts seems a bit pointless
outside.

On the kitchen light front I went for a 5' tube at 5,400 Lumens and in my
15' x 10' kitchen it shines into every corner, so much so I'll have to
clean the air fryer! The clips and cable fought each other when fitting it
but they all seem to use the same method. If anybody is interested:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09FB1RZVH?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

So thanks again, the moral support kept me going and has saved the cost of
an electrician!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

Re: Lights Saga - Final Final

<uaod8k$2aofi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100679&group=uk.d-i-y#100679

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Lights Saga - Final Final
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:12:18 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:12 UTC

On 06/08/2023 11:15, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Tis done!
>
> Thank you again to everybody for both the practical and moral support :-)
>
> I went for a 20 AMP choc-box as I had 3 wires on the ring to contend

Minor point, but it is rare to find a lighting circuit wired as a ring -
most are radials...

https://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/House_Wiring_for_Beginners#Loop-in_Wiring

> with. Used one side for the lighting ring leaving the other for the flex
> from the chandelier. Cut a big enough hole in the ceiling to push it in
> (wore my mask with 2 x side filters as it is Artex in a 1983 house).
> Then drilled the 5" wooden pattress so I picked up the joint with both
> screws and screwed it up as a test so I knew it all fitted.
>
> Then fitted the chandelier to the pattress, balanced it a bit on the
> up-lighter, made the connections and screwed the pattress up. All the
> affected lights are working - although at some stage I'll have to decide
> whether or not I want a new outside light, 60 watts seems a bit
> pointless outside.

Could you not swap the bulb for a 6W LED filament or similar? That is
what I use in my outside lights, and the filament style bulbs still look
quite attractive in the lanterns.

> On the kitchen light front I went for a 5' tube at 5,400 Lumens and in
> my 15' x 10' kitchen it shines into every corner, so much so I'll have
> to clean the air fryer! The clips and cable fought each other when
> fitting it but they all seem to use the same method. If anybody is
> interested:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09FB1RZVH?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
>
> So thanks again, the moral support kept me going and has saved the cost
> of an electrician!

Glad you got it sorted.

--
Cheers,