"Tell the truth and run." -- Yugoslav proverb

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

SubjectAuthor
* Google, I assume this is genuine?Brian Gaff
+* Google, I assume this is genuine?Mark P. Nelson
|`* Google, I assume this is genuine?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
| `* Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|  +* Google, I assume this is genuine?Tone
|  |+- Google, I assume this is genuine?Peter
|  |+- Google, I assume this is genuine?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|  |`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|  `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|   +- Google, I assume this is genuine?Tease'n'Seize
|   +- Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|   `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Adrian
|    +* Google, I assume this is genuine?Tim+
|    |+* Google, I assume this is genuine?Adrian
|    ||`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Don Stockbauer
|    |`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|    +* Google, I assume this is genuine?RustyHinge
|    |`* Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|    | +* Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|    | |`* Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|    | | +- Google, I assume this is genuine?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|    | | +* Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|    | | |`* Google, I assume this is genuine?RustyHinge
|    | | | +* Google, I assume this is genuine?RustyHinge
|    | | | |`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|    | | | `* Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|    | | |  `- Google, I assume this is genuine?Tim+
|    | | `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Kerr-Mudd, John
|    | |  `- Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|    | `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Mike Fleming
|    |  +* Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|    |  |`* Google, I assume this is genuine?RustyHinge
|    |  | `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|    |  |  +* Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|    |  |  |+* Google, I assume this is genuine?RustyHinge
|    |  |  ||`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Mike Fleming
|    |  |  |`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|    |  |  `- Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|    |  `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Brian D
|    |   +- Google, I assume this is genuine?Don Stockbauer
|    |   `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|    |    `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Richard Robinson
|    |     `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Kerr-Mudd, John
|    |      `- Google, I assume this is genuine?ChrisND@privacy.net
|    `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|     `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|      `- Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
+* Google, I assume this is genuine?Chris Elvidge
|`* Google, I assume this is genuine?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
| `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Tease'n'Seize
|  `- Google, I assume this is genuine?Don Stockbauer
`* Google, I assume this is genuine?Tease'n'Seize
 `- Google, I assume this is genuine?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)

Pages:123
Google, I assume this is genuine?

<t4h06a$1gr2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10045&group=uk.rec.sheds#10045

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Google, I assume this is genuine?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 16:28:06 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:28 UTC

On 30 May, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in
technology

brian1gaff@gmail.com
To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of
third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account
using only your username and password. Instead, you'll need to sign in using
Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. Learn
more

What do you need to do?
Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to your
Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other email
software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
Learn more
You received this email to let you know about important changes to your
Google Account and services.

If it is, they surely must know that many people will dump them in favour of
a service on which they can use normal email clients. Does Thunderbird off
this 2 factor stuff?

I cannot afford to install office subscriptions on my machine just to suit
google.
Brian
� 2022 Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<XnsAE8859912A183mpndisorg@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10047&group=uk.rec.sheds#10047

From: markpnel...@sbcglobal.net (Mark P. Nelson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:48:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark P. Nelson - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:48 UTC

"Brian Gaff" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

> On 30 May, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure
> sign-in technology
>
> brian1gaff@gmail.com
> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use
> of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google
> Account using only your username and password. Instead, you'll need to
> sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies,
> like OAuth 2.0. Learn more
>
> What do you need to do?
> Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to
> your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other
> email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
> Learn more
> You received this email to let you know about important changes to your
> Google Account and services.
>
> If it is, they surely must know that many people will dump them in
> favour of a service on which they can use normal email clients. Does
> Thunderbird off this 2 factor stuff?
>

> I cannot afford to install office subscriptions on my machine just to
> suit
> google.
> Brian
> � 2022 Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043,
> USA

You can do this with Thunderbird no problem. I realise you are not
sighted, and I don't know how this will work for you or if you'll need
help.

You will need a recent version of Thunmderbird; I have 91.8.1 (64-bit)

1. Pick the account name on the left and select the cog-wheel Account
Settings at the top right.

2. On the left, select Server Settings and change the Authentication
Method on the right to OAuth2.

3. Go down on the left to Outgoing Server and select the server on the
right and click on the Edit button. Change the Authentication Method on
the right to OAuth2.

All the best,
Mark.

--
Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos -- the only sysadmins that matter

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<t4hduk$vkv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10057&group=uk.rec.sheds#10057

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:22:44 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:22 UTC

On 29/04/2022 16:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
> On 30 May, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in
> technology
>
> brian1gaff@gmail.com
> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of
> third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account
> using only your username and password. Instead, you'll need to sign in using
> Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. Learn
> more
>
> What do you need to do?
> Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to your
> Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other email
> software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
> Learn more
> You received this email to let you know about important changes to your
> Google Account and services.
>
> If it is, they surely must know that many people will dump them in favour of
> a service on which they can use normal email clients. Does Thunderbird off
> this 2 factor stuff?
>

> I cannot afford to install office subscriptions on my machine just to suit
> google.
> Brian
> � 2022 Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA

I've just done this for an older version of Thunderbird (52.2.1 32 bit)
which doesn't support OAuth2 for POP. If you use IMAP, OAth2 has been
available for quite some time - even this one.

First enable 2-factor in your Gmail account.
Then create an App password for Thunderbird.

Open the "Learn More" button (in the email) in a browser for more info.
You may need a sighted person to navigate the instructions, though.

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<26-dnYPM1OQ7xPH_nZ2dnUU7-U_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10062&group=uk.rec.sheds#10062

Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 22:33:24 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:33 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> Does Thunderbird off this 2 factor stuff?

Thunderbird supports oAuth2, which is primarily what google would prefer users
connect with.

Failing that, you have to enable 2 step verification on your entire google
account, and that allows you generate separate password just for your email
client (e.g. so outhouse could still use POP/IMAP with standard authentication)

But for 2Sv you'd either need to use confirmations linked to an iphone/android
phone, or an authenticator app, or (difficult for the blind) you can print out a
stock of one-time login codes.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<t4ipth$5a9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10065&group=uk.rec.sheds#10065

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:53:15 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 07:53 UTC

Well I have been reading their so called help pages and it seems to suggest
that you can actually allow applications to carry on using the normal log
in, but you have to make them aware of the specific machine and software.
To me this seems to be an issue created by people who are playing fast and
loose with their security. Mostly those who share address books containing
sensitive data. For most of us I'd suggest this is not the case.
They are not very adept at explain things so keyboard users can actually do
the job.

I notice that services like dropbox monitor your machine name and ip
address, and send an email or a text to you if its something new, so you can
send a return to confirm its you or not.
We recently fell foul of the giff-gaff two factored thingy, since we needed
to change a card details, but the address they had for sending the auth code
was an old one and could no of longer be accessed. There is then a very
convoluted way to use the forgot password part of the sight to first get
in and then change the details.
Brian

"Mark P. Nelson" <markpnelson@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> "Brian Gaff" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>

>> On 30 May, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure
>> sign-in technology
>>
>> brian1gaff@gmail.com
>> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use
>> of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google
>> Account using only your username and password. Instead, you'll need to
>> sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies,
>> like OAuth 2.0. Learn more
>>
>> What do you need to do?
>> Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to
>> your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other
>> email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
>> Learn more
>> You received this email to let you know about important changes to your
>> Google Account and services.
>>
>> If it is, they surely must know that many people will dump them in
>> favour of a service on which they can use normal email clients. Does
>> Thunderbird off this 2 factor stuff?
>>

>> I cannot afford to install office subscriptions on my machine just to
>> suit
>> google.
>> Brian
>> � 2022 Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043,
>> USA
>>

> You can do this with Thunderbird no problem. I realise you are not
> sighted, and I don't know how this will work for you or if you'll need
> help.
>
> You will need a recent version of Thunmderbird; I have 91.8.1 (64-bit)
>
> 1. Pick the account name on the left and select the cog-wheel Account
> Settings at the top right.
>
> 2. On the left, select Server Settings and change the Authentication
> Method on the right to OAuth2.
>
> 3. Go down on the left to Outgoing Server and select the server on the
> right and click on the Edit button. Change the Authentication Method on
> the right to OAuth2.
>
> All the best,
> Mark.
>
> --
> Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos -- the only sysadmins that matter

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<t4iq5l$6nt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10066&group=uk.rec.sheds#10066

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:57:35 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 07:57 UTC

All my accounts have both Imap and pop 3, so I can see the spam folders.
The problem with Third is the fact that I'd need to learn all new
keystrokes and all the mail comes into one big heap, OK it can be sorted
thereafter, but there is something about the way Outlook Express can use
identities so you, and I do, ignore all the accounts except the one I'm in.
It makes time management far more easy and less stressful.

"Chris Elvidge" <chris@mshome.net> wrote in message
> On 29/04/2022 16:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> On 30 May, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in
>> technology
>>
>> brian1gaff@gmail.com
>> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use
>> of
>> third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google
>> Account
>> using only your username and password. Instead, you'll need to sign in
>> using
>> Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.
>> Learn
>> more
>>
>> What do you need to do?
>> Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to
>> your
>> Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other email
>> software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
>> Learn more
>> You received this email to let you know about important changes to your
>> Google Account and services.
>>
>> If it is, they surely must know that many people will dump them in favour
>> of
>> a service on which they can use normal email clients. Does Thunderbird
>> off
>> this 2 factor stuff?
>>

>> I cannot afford to install office subscriptions on my machine just to
>> suit
>> google.
>> Brian
>> ? 2022 Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043,
>> USA
>>

> I've just done this for an older version of Thunderbird (52.2.1 32 bit)
> which doesn't support OAuth2 for POP. If you use IMAP, OAth2 has been
> available for quite some time - even this one.
>
> First enable 2-factor in your Gmail account.
> Then create an App password for Thunderbird.
>
> Open the "Learn More" button (in the email) in a browser for more info.
> You may need a sighted person to navigate the instructions, though.
>

> --
> Chris Elvidge
> England

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<t4iqc0$8av$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10067&group=uk.rec.sheds#10067

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:00:57 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:00 UTC

They seem to be suggesting intheir help section that you can bypass this and
still continue, but they want you to somehow identify the machine, which as
far as I can see should be easy at their end as its in the header.
I think I'm going to have to await the due date and see what actually
happens. I really don't have the time to start playing with new software
all the time.
Bah humbug.

"Tease'n'Seize" <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in message
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> Does Thunderbird off this 2 factor stuff?
>
> Thunderbird supports oAuth2, which is primarily what google would prefer
> users connect with.
>
> Failing that, you have to enable 2 step verification on your entire google
> account, and that allows you generate separate password just for your
> email client (e.g. so outhouse could still use POP/IMAP with standard
> authentication)
>
> But for 2Sv you'd either need to use confirmations linked to an
> iphone/android phone, or an authenticator app, or (difficult for the
> blind) you can print out a stock of one-time login codes.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<g86dnS0LqLw7aPH_nZ2dnUU7-TednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10069&group=uk.rec.sheds#10069

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:39:02 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:39 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> The problem with Third is the fact that [...] all the mail comes into one big heap

You don't have to use thunderbird's unified inbox, I have no idea if it's the
default for new installs because I have it turned off, but you can keep separate
in/out/sent folders per email account.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<a3b68929-2886-4902-bbbe-9ae618cd4e10n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10070&group=uk.rec.sheds#10070

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 01:42:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:42 UTC

On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 3:39:09 AM UTC-5, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
> > The problem with Third is the fact that [...] all the mail comes into one big heap
>
> You don't have to use thunderbird's unified inbox, I have no idea if it's the
> default for new installs because I have it turned off, but you can keep separate
> in/out/sent folders per email account.
Linda White gave me Thunderbird back in 2007.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<slrnt6qk8m.6n8.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10073&group=uk.rec.sheds#10073

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 30 Apr 2022 15:09:10 GMT
 by: maus - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:09 UTC

On 2022-04-30, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:36:13 +0100
> Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>
>> Someone gaining access to your emails
>> isn't good, but they can't start altering settings to forward your email
>> to them, or changing your address for identity theft.
>
> They can however make use of the "forgot password" link on all
> sorts of sites which is quite bad enough.

There are rumours that the local electricity are going to upgrade their
network to full 3phase and beyond to deal with the expected need when
millions of people that will arrive home around the same time, and will
want to plug their Teslas in for a quick charge.

--
greymausg@mail.com
It is I, alone, who can tell you.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<t4jn3r$1s4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10074&group=uk.rec.sheds#10074

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:11:39 +0100
 by: Tone - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 16:11 UTC

On 30/04/2022 16:09, maus wrote:
> On 2022-04-30, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:36:13 +0100
>> Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Someone gaining access to your emails
>>> isn't good, but they can't start altering settings to forward your email
>>> to them, or changing your address for identity theft.
>>
>> They can however make use of the "forgot password" link on all
>> sorts of sites which is quite bad enough.
>>

> There are rumours that the local electricity are going to upgrade their
> network to full 3phase and beyond to deal with the expected need when
> millions of people that will arrive home around the same time, and will
> want to plug their Teslas in for a quick charge.

I read that as 'Testes'.

Tone

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<XnsAE89BE046F821Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10076&group=uk.rec.sheds#10076

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:40:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:40 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:t4jn3r$1s4$1@dont-email.me:

> On 30/04/2022 16:09, maus wrote:
>> On 2022-04-30, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

>>> They can however make use of the "forgot password" link on all
>>> sorts of sites which is quite bad enough.
>>>

>> There are rumours that the local electricity are going to upgrade
>> their network to full 3phase and beyond to deal with the expected
>> need when millions of people that will arrive home around the same
>> time, and will want to plug their Teslas in for a quick charge.
>>

> I read that as 'Testes'.

Plugging them in is not reccomended.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<20220430184955.d860eea079d8af70b037c66b@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10077&group=uk.rec.sheds#10077

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:49:55 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:49 UTC

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:11:39 +0100
Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> On 30/04/2022 16:09, maus wrote:

> > There are rumours that the local electricity are going to upgrade their
> > network to full 3phase and beyond to deal with the expected need when
> > millions of people that will arrive home around the same time, and will
> > want to plug their Teslas in for a quick charge.
> >
> I read that as 'Testes'.

From a tiger in your tank to a tingle in your testes - is that
progress ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<tPt0bXA9tXbiFAOL@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10078&group=uk.rec.sheds#10078

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:10:05 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:10 UTC

In article <t4jn3r$1s4$1@dont-email.me>, Tone <tone@email.com> on Sat,
30 Apr 2022 at 17:11:39 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 30/04/2022 16:09, maus wrote:
>> On 2022-04-30, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

>>> They can however make use of the "forgot password" link on all
>>> sorts of sites which is quite bad enough.
>>>

>> There are rumours that the local electricity are going to upgrade their
>> network to full 3phase and beyond to deal with the expected need when
>> millions of people that will arrive home around the same time, and will
>> want to plug their Teslas in for a quick charge.
>>

>I read that as 'Testes'.

Teslas give you bollocks, perhaps?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<PQHM8hAUCYbiFAaW@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10080&group=uk.rec.sheds#10080

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:31:48 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:31 UTC

In article <slrnt6qk8m.6n8.maus@dmaus.org>, maus <maus@dmaus.org> on
Sat, 30 Apr 2022 at 15:09:10 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 2022-04-30, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:36:13 +0100
>> Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Someone gaining access to your emails
>>> isn't good, but they can't start altering settings to forward your email
>>> to them, or changing your address for identity theft.
>>
>> They can however make use of the "forgot password" link on all
>> sorts of sites which is quite bad enough.
>>

>There are rumours that the local electricity are going to upgrade their
>network to full 3phase and beyond to deal with the expected need when
>millions of people that will arrive home around the same time, and will
>want to plug their Teslas in for a quick charge.

In the UK, AFAIK, 3 phase is delivered to the domestic street level.
Roughly a third of the properties receive one or other of the phases so
that the draw is roughly equal across each phase.

I understand that the supply fuse is 60 amp.

I would be surprised if the electric supply to domestic properties in
the UK is likely to be changed to three phase, that would bring in a
whole new raft of safety issues.

For the same reason there will be a limit to how much hydrogen can be
added to domestic gas supplies. Hydrogen is like a captive orang utan,
it is an escape artist.

But then again I could be wrong.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<GYidnSWEkpzsEPD_nZ2dnUU7-N_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10082&group=uk.rec.sheds#10082

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 20:26:36 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:26 UTC

Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

> In the UK, AFAIK, 3 phase is delivered to the domestic street level.
> Roughly a third of the properties receive one or other of the phases so
> that the draw is roughly equal across each phase.

Some supply companies are now making 3-phase wiring to new premises standard,
you'll probably still get a 1-phase meter fitted unless you have a requirement
(such as big heat pump, or car charger)

> I understand that the supply fuse is 60 amp.

or 80, or 100 amp.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<tbhbK.877797$sb1.619873@fx11.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10087&group=uk.rec.sheds#10087

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:43:04 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 20:43 UTC

On 30-Apr-22 19:31, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> For the same reason there will be a limit to how much hydrogen can be
> added to domestic gas supplies. Hydrogen is like a captive orang utan,
> it is an escape artist.

Much like helium - which is why it is used in leak detection on vacuum
systems.

(Also splendid for making you sound like Mickey Mouse.)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<ZfIvflQ7TabiFwoJ@ku.gro.lloiff>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10088&group=uk.rec.sheds#10088

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 22:07:07 +0100
 by: Adrian - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:07 UTC

In message <PQHM8hAUCYbiFAaW@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
<nicholas@salmiron.com> writes
>In the UK, AFAIK, 3 phase is delivered to the domestic street level.
>Roughly a third of the properties receive one or other of the phases so
>that the draw is roughly equal across each phase.

The last time I looked, I was in the UK.

Judging by what happens when we have a power cut, the whole street (~28
houses, largely molished in 1939) is on the same phase. Looking out of
the windows when the power is off, properties on nay boring streets are
on a variety of phases.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<250920936.673047528.926575.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10089&group=uk.rec.sheds#10089

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 30 Apr 2022 21:41:46 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:41 UTC

Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
> In message <PQHM8hAUCYbiFAaW@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
> <nicholas@salmiron.com> writes
>> In the UK, AFAIK, 3 phase is delivered to the domestic street level.
>> Roughly a third of the properties receive one or other of the phases so
>> that the draw is roughly equal across each phase.
>>

> The last time I looked, I was in the UK.
>
> Judging by what happens when we have a power cut, the whole street (~28
> houses, largely molished in 1939) is on the same phase. Looking out of
> the windows when the power is off, properties on nay boring streets are
> on a variety of phases.
>
> Adrian

Depends entirely on the cause and position of the power cut. If just one
phase goes (relatively rare) you would normally see that one in three
houses is without power in your street but that would require a relatively
local defect (in a buried cable in your street say).

If the power cut is “upstream” and affects your local substation then all
three phases will usually be cut off together.

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<t4kbjq$832$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10090&group=uk.rec.sheds#10090

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:01:30 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 22:01 UTC

On 30/04/2022 22:07, Adrian wrote:
> In message <PQHM8hAUCYbiFAaW@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
> <nicholas@salmiron.com> writes
>> In the UK, AFAIK, 3 phase is delivered to the domestic street level.
>> Roughly a third of the properties receive one or other of the phases so
>> that the draw is roughly equal across each phase.
>>

> The last time I looked, I was in the UK.
>
> Judging by what happens when we have a power cut, the whole street (~28
> houses, largely molished in 1939) is on the same phase.   Looking out of
> the windows when the power is off, properties on nay boring streets are
> on a variety of phases.

Many moons ago we had a power cut, and after not very long my next-door
neighbour knocked on the door: "Tony, are you on a different supply from
us? Your house is a blaze of light..."

I had, in those days, an array of paraffin lamps - many of them Aladdins
with a big mantle. And paraffin in those days was 2s a galleon.

Now it's the same-ish cevpr as petrol.

You'd hear my genny going, nowadays innit.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<buv$jwSk0bbiFwaV@ku.gro.lloiff>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10091&group=uk.rec.sheds#10091

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:50:12 +0100
 by: Adrian - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 22:50 UTC

In message
<250920936.673047528.926575.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>,
Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> writes
>Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
>> The last time I looked, I was in the UK.
>>
>> Judging by what happens when we have a power cut, the whole street (~28
>> houses, largely molished in 1939) is on the same phase. Looking out of
>> the windows when the power is off, properties on nay boring streets are
>> on a variety of phases.
>>
>> Adrian
>
>Depends entirely on the cause and position of the power cut. If just one
>phase goes (relatively rare) you would normally see that one in three
>houses is without power in your street but that would require a relatively
>local defect (in a buried cable in your street say).
>
>If the power cut is “upstream” and affects your local substation then all
>three phases will usually be cut off together.

Indeed. However, I goove that I've jbexrq out where the yokel
substations are, and so far as I can tell, my street and the one that I
back onto are on the same one.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<e45b3af1-4e50-4e5e-93b3-cee508a1dfe4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10092&group=uk.rec.sheds#10092

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:32:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sun, 1 May 2022 06:32 UTC

On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 5:51:09 PM UTC-5, Adrian wrote:
> In message
> <250920936.673047528.926...@news.individual.net>,
> Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> writes
> >Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
> >> The last time I looked, I was in the UK.
> >>
> >> Judging by what happens when we have a power cut, the whole street (~28
> >> houses, largely molished in 1939) is on the same phase. Looking out of
> >> the windows when the power is off, properties on nay boring streets are
> >> on a variety of phases.
> >>
> >> Adrian
> >
> >Depends entirely on the cause and position of the power cut. If just one
> >phase goes (relatively rare) you would normally see that one in three
> >houses is without power in your street but that would require a relatively
> >local defect (in a buried cable in your street say).
> >
> >If the power cut is “upstream” and affects your local substation then all
> >three phases will usually be cut off together.
> >
> Indeed. However, I goove that I've jbexrq out where the yokel
> substations are, and so far as I can tell, my street and the one that I
> back onto are on the same one.
> Adrian
> --
> To Reply :
> replace "bulleid" with "adrian" - all mail to bulleid is rejected
> Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
> Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

But basically it just means that it's going through a face

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<xatjeXA$xibiFAcS@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10093&group=uk.rec.sheds#10093

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 07:45:19 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 1 May 2022 06:45 UTC

In article <250920936.673047528.926575.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individ
ual.net>, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 at 21:41:46
awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
>> In message <PQHM8hAUCYbiFAaW@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
>> <nicholas@salmiron.com> writes
>>> In the UK, AFAIK, 3 phase is delivered to the domestic street level.
>>> Roughly a third of the properties receive one or other of the phases so
>>> that the draw is roughly equal across each phase.
>>>

>> The last time I looked, I was in the UK.
>>
>> Judging by what happens when we have a power cut, the whole street (~28
>> houses, largely molished in 1939) is on the same phase. Looking out of
>> the windows when the power is off, properties on nay boring streets are
>> on a variety of phases.
>>
>> Adrian
>
>Depends entirely on the cause and position of the power cut. If just one
>phase goes (relatively rare) you would normally see that one in three
>houses is without power in your street but that would require a relatively
>local defect (in a buried cable in your street say).
>
>If the power cut is “upstream” and affects your local substation then all
>three phases will usually be cut off together.

Agreed however I am not sure how rare that is.

The last three outages in my street have been single phase, only one of
which affected me. I am registered as being vulnerable in the case of
power cuts, and am informed of power cuts that may affect me. Obviously
without that notification it is unlikely that I would have known that
there were local cuts in my area. Incidentally two of the faults were in
the local substation and were quickly sorted.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<_AAbK.444732$Lc1.273528@fx12.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10105&group=uk.rec.sheds#10105

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 19:47:22 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:47 UTC

On 30-Apr-22 22:07, Adrian wrote:
> In message <PQHM8hAUCYbiFAaW@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
> <nicholas@salmiron.com> writes
>> In the UK, AFAIK, 3 phase is delivered to the domestic street level.
>> Roughly a third of the properties receive one or other of the phases so
>> that the draw is roughly equal across each phase.
>>

> The last time I looked, I was in the UK.
>
> Judging by what happens when we have a power cut, the whole street (~28
> houses, largely molished in 1939) is on the same phase.   Looking out of
> the windows when the power is off, properties on nay boring streets are
> on a variety of phases.

If one phase cut out, that would so imbalance the other two phases that
the nearest substation upstream would trip & hence all three phases
would go out.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<DJAbK.37050$7p1.19157@fx04.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10106&group=uk.rec.sheds#10106

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 19:56:35 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:56 UTC

On 30-Apr-22 23:01, RustyHinge wrote:

> Many moons ago we had a power cut, and after not very long my next-door
> neighbour knocked on the door: "Tony, are you on a different supply from
> us? Your house is a blaze of light..."
>
> I had, in those days, an array of paraffin lamps - many of them Aladdins
> with a big mantle. And paraffin in those days was 2s a galleon.
>
> Now it's the same-ish cevpr as petrol.
>
> You'd hear my genny going, nowadays innit.

Back in the 1970s, three-day-week etc. there were lots of power-cuts.
The wife of a co-jbexer had a wbo with the CEGB.
They had thought ahead and bought a small generator.

Come the next power cut & their lights (& freezer etc.) stayed on.

A lynch mob came to their door convinced that the CEGB had somehow
arranged that "one of their own" would have power whilst everyone else
could suffer.
They had to offer an explanation & a visit to the generator before the
mob dispersed. I think they also had to show the receipt for the
generator to prove it wasn't supplied by the CEGB.

Central Electricity Generating Board - it died in the 1990s.

Isn't there a saying that we are only three meals away from utter
anarchy and mob violence?

--
Sam Plusnet