"The Street finds its own uses for technology." -- William Gibson

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

SubjectAuthor
* A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updatesAndy
+* Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updatesAndy Burns
|`* Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updatesAndy
| `- Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updatesAndy Burns
+- Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updatesAdrian Caspersz
+* Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updatesJeff Gaines
|`- Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updatesAndy
+* Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updatesnewshound
|`- Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updatesDan
`* Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updatesRaj Kundra
 `- Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updatesAndy

1
A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

<_radnWeQLL4FD179nZ2dnUU78Y_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1008&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1008

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
Subject: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:43:03 +0100
 by: Andy - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:43 UTC

I've just lost an afternoon of my life I won't get back attempting to
update drivers on my PC.

My PC is a Dell and as the subject says I run a program called Ccleaner
[ free edition ] which on a recent update now has a driver update button.
Thus I pressed said button and Ccleaner told me how many of my drivers
were out of date, so I then pressed "update all" because everyone wants
up to date drivers, right?
After the update all Ccleaner announces 40 drivers did not install and
at the same time I noticed my intel RST was not running either.
After much youtube research I installed Dell Support Assist and after a
lengthly check of my complete system Support Assist announced I needed
two updates, which I installed. I followed this by downloading from Dell
intel RST and installed that to get it running again. On installation it
told me there were newer driver and did I want to install, which I did
and now intel RST works fine [ green tick]. I then rescanned Ccleaner
driver search and basically suspended the 40 drivers plus the one for
the RST storage and all is back in order again.

Can I ask users here what your preferred driver update tool is?

Ccleaner has always been good a a junk clearing tool, but I think
the new driver update bit could do with more refining. Still should not
complain it is free after all.

Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

<iihinrFb5p3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1009&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1009

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:53:16 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:53 UTC

Andy wrote:

> Can I ask users here what your preferred driver update tool is?

Same as my preferred crapcleaner ... none.

Download direct from the hardware manufacturer website.

Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

<T4mdne6xePgiBV79nZ2dnUU78TGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1010&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1010

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:09:19 +0100
 by: Andy - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:09 UTC

On 11/06/2021 17:53, Andy Burns wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
>> Can I ask users here what your preferred driver update tool is?
>
> Same as my preferred crapcleaner ... none.
>
> Download direct from the hardware manufacturer website.
Yes, I learned that lesson today, now I have the support Assist from
Dell, I can do that.

Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

<iihk2eFbh0gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1011&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1011

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:15:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:15 UTC

Andy wrote:

> now I have the support Assist from Dell

I suppose the Dell assistant isn't actively bad, but you often get
newer, less bloaty drivers direct from intel/broadcom etc rather than
from Dell.

Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

<iihkarFbjjvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1012&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1012

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:20:26 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:20 UTC

On 11/06/2021 17:43, Andy wrote:

> Ccleaner has always been good a a junk clearing tool, but I think
> the new driver update bit could do with more refining. Still should not
> complain it is free after all.

Avast has gone in a dreadful direction, including its acquisitions of
AVG and Piriform CCleaner.

The in-app advertising is so spammy, much reminiscent of snake-oil
promotion which in effects all driver updates and registry cleaners are.

If ye really need to do that stuff, do it by hand.

--
Adrian C

Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

<xn0mz0p214rcfpu009@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1013&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1013

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 11 Jun 2021 18:14:55 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:14 UTC

On 11/06/2021 in message
<_radnWeQLL4FD179nZ2dnUU78Y_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> Andy wrote:

>Can I ask users here what your preferred driver update tool is?

I use Lenovo System Update on my older laptops and Lenovo Vantage on the
newer one, the HP equivalent on the server plus Intel Driver Support
assistant. The QNAP NAS does it all automagically.

I like the manufacturer's version because they include BIOS updates.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

<UYadnXo1lbcNNl79nZ2dnUU78UOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1014&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1014

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:29:36 +0100
 by: Andy - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:29 UTC

On 11/06/2021 19:14, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 11/06/2021 in message
> <_radnWeQLL4FD179nZ2dnUU78Y_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> Andy wrote:
>
>> Can I ask users here what your preferred driver update tool is?
>
> I use Lenovo System Update on my older laptops and Lenovo Vantage on the
> newer one, the HP equivalent on the server plus Intel Driver Support
> assistant. The QNAP NAS does it all automagically.
>
> I like the manufacturer's version because they include BIOS updates.

Yes, the Dell one flashed my bios in the updates.

Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

<QLydndTAkYO5f179nZ2dnUU78UXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1015&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1015

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: newsho...@stevejqr.plus.com (newshound)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 23:22:28 +0100
 by: newshound - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 22:22 UTC

On 11/06/2021 17:43, Andy wrote:
> I've just lost an afternoon of my life I won't get back attempting to
> update drivers on my PC.
>
> My PC is a Dell and as the subject says I run a program called Ccleaner
> [ free edition ] which on a recent update now has a driver update button.
> Thus I pressed said button and Ccleaner told me how many of my drivers
> were out of date, so I then pressed "update all"  because everyone wants
> up to date drivers, right?
> After the update all Ccleaner announces 40 drivers did not install and
> at the same time I noticed my intel RST was not running either.
> After much youtube research I installed Dell Support Assist and after a
> lengthly check of my complete system Support Assist announced I needed
> two updates, which I installed. I followed this by downloading from Dell
> intel RST and installed that to get it running again. On installation it
> told me there were newer driver and did I want to install, which I did
> and now intel RST works fine [ green tick]. I then rescanned Ccleaner
> driver search and basically suspended the 40 drivers plus the one for
> the RST storage and all is back in order again.
>
> Can I ask users here what your preferred driver update tool is?
>
> Ccleaner has always been good a a junk clearing tool, but I think
> the new driver update bit could do with more refining. Still should not
> complain it is free after all.

I more or less gave up on this (and Malwarebytes) when they changed
ownership and became more "commercial".

There is some decent freeware around but you have to stay on the ball to
avoid installing bloat/adware. The magic words "Driver Update" should
always warn you about clicking the wrong download button in deliberately
misleading displays.

As well as Dell Assist, MS has become more reliable and supportive, to
my mind.

Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

<v8tbcg9dsprsnk573ea3dp4upe6f6sg6ba@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1017&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1017

From: notgi...@guesswho.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 13:09:17 +0100
 by: Dan - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:09 UTC

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 23:22:28 +0100, newshound
<newshound@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote:

>On 11/06/2021 17:43, Andy wrote:
>> I've just lost an afternoon of my life I won't get back attempting to
>> update drivers on my PC.
>>
>> My PC is a Dell and as the subject says I run a program called Ccleaner
>> [ free edition ] which on a recent update now has a driver update button.
>> Thus I pressed said button and Ccleaner told me how many of my drivers
>> were out of date, so I then pressed "update all"  because everyone wants
>> up to date drivers, right?
>> After the update all Ccleaner announces 40 drivers did not install and
>> at the same time I noticed my intel RST was not running either.
>> After much youtube research I installed Dell Support Assist and after a
>> lengthly check of my complete system Support Assist announced I needed
>> two updates, which I installed. I followed this by downloading from Dell
>> intel RST and installed that to get it running again. On installation it
>> told me there were newer driver and did I want to install, which I did
>> and now intel RST works fine [ green tick]. I then rescanned Ccleaner
>> driver search and basically suspended the 40 drivers plus the one for
>> the RST storage and all is back in order again.
>>
>> Can I ask users here what your preferred driver update tool is?
>>
>> Ccleaner has always been good a a junk clearing tool, but I think
>> the new driver update bit could do with more refining. Still should not
>> complain it is free after all.
>
>I more or less gave up on this (and Malwarebytes) when they changed
>ownership and became more "commercial".
>
>There is some decent freeware around but you have to stay on the ball to
>avoid installing bloat/adware. The magic words "Driver Update" should
>always warn you about clicking the wrong download button in deliberately
>misleading displays.
>
>As well as Dell Assist, MS has become more reliable and supportive, to
>my mind.

I always download directly from manufacturers web site. To clean my
PC: bleach bit portable does a fantastic job.

Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

<sa8fmg$rm9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1018&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1018

From: raj...@kundracomputers.co.uk (Raj Kundra)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 21:54:40 +0100
 by: Raj Kundra - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 20:54 UTC

On 11/06/2021 17:43, Andy wrote:
> I've just lost an afternoon of my life I won't get back attempting to
> update drivers on my PC.
>
> My PC is a Dell and as the subject says I run a program called
> Ccleaner [ free edition ] which on a recent update now has a driver
> update button.
> Thus I pressed said button and Ccleaner told me how many of my drivers
> were out of date, so I then pressed "update all"  because everyone
> wants up to date drivers, right?
> After the update all Ccleaner announces 40 drivers did not install and
> at the same time I noticed my intel RST was not running either.
> After much youtube research I installed Dell Support Assist and after a
> lengthly check of my complete system Support Assist announced I needed
> two updates, which I installed. I followed this by downloading from Dell
> intel RST and installed that to get it running again. On installation
> it told me there were newer driver and did I want to install, which I
> did and now intel RST works fine [ green tick]. I then rescanned
> Ccleaner driver search and basically suspended the 40 drivers plus the
> one for the RST storage and all is back in order again.
>
> Can I ask users here what your preferred driver update tool is?
>
> Ccleaner has always been good a a junk clearing tool, but I think
> the new driver update bit could do with more refining. Still should not
> complain it is free after all.

If you using Windows 10, it got built in thing to get updated drivers.

When you click on "Check windows Updates"

just below it is a link "Optional Update", click on it and then select
drivers updates as you require.

I do not use any other programs, so do not know, but AVG got built in
drivers update thing and it is very good.

Re: A bit OT - Ccleaner Free new driver updates

<SMudndfWRYkw81X9nZ2dnUU78QPNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1019&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1019

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:11:11 +0100
 by: Andy - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 09:11 UTC

On 14/06/2021 21:54, Raj Kundra wrote:
> On 11/06/2021 17:43, Andy wrote:
>> I've just lost an afternoon of my life I won't get back attempting to
>> update drivers on my PC.
>>
>> My PC is a Dell and as the subject says I run a program called
>> Ccleaner [ free edition ] which on a recent update now has a driver
>> update button.
>> Thus I pressed said button and Ccleaner told me how many of my drivers
>> were out of date, so I then pressed "update all"  because everyone
>> wants up to date drivers, right?
>> After the update all Ccleaner announces 40 drivers did not install and
>> at the same time I noticed my intel RST was not running either.
>> After much youtube research I installed Dell Support Assist and after a
>> lengthly check of my complete system Support Assist announced I needed
>> two updates, which I installed. I followed this by downloading from Dell
>> intel RST and installed that to get it running again. On installation
>> it told me there were newer driver and did I want to install, which I
>> did and now intel RST works fine [ green tick]. I then rescanned
>> Ccleaner driver search and basically suspended the 40 drivers plus the
>> one for the RST storage and all is back in order again.
>>
>> Can I ask users here what your preferred driver update tool is?
>>
>> Ccleaner has always been good a a junk clearing tool, but I think
>> the new driver update bit could do with more refining. Still should not
>> complain it is free after all.
>
> If you using Windows 10, it got built in thing to get updated drivers.
>
> When you click on "Check windows Updates"
>
> just below it is a link "Optional Update", click on it and then select
> drivers updates as you require.
>
> I do not use any other programs, so do not know, but AVG got built in
> drivers update thing and it is very good.

I am Win 10 Pro, one of your machines Raj, Dell Precision T3610.
I'm up to date with the drivers now and the "support Assist" software
app I downloaded from Dell will inform me automatically when new drivers
are required.