Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: No Current Events Play Want Bin (PWBE 21 June 2021)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 19:47:19 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 00:47 UTC

Usually I cite something interesting from current events as a PWB title,
but today I can't be bothered. I will go and make French election jokes in
another forum though.

Play:
--=--

Skyrim (Switch) - Well, I'm the freaking Archmage of the College of
Winterhold now. It's exactly as anticlimactic as I remember it being, all
bad writing and no ceremony. And I'm not even all that good at magic,
having blundered my way through all the encounters with flaming arrows and
a few key bits of armour to keep me alive. I've sort of decided that the
game is at its best when it does the parental simulation, where you're
subtly judged on how strict or permissive you are with the children you've
adopted and therefore saved from their unfortunately circumstances. In
other news, I seem to have something like 50,000 gold worth of garnets
lying around in my six houses for some reason.

Ogre (PC) - Oh hey, this just got an update. Either they added an AI-vs-AI
mode or it was always there and I just never noticed. Either way, it's
interesting to see how conservative and cautious the computer is, not
really making any risky moves and only moving forward with an attack when
the odds are in its favour. It's a shame that there's no way to crank the
AI smarts up or down, so you can see how a master player would react in a
situation as compared to a newbie. In terms of board game simulation this
is a little too literal for my tastes, in that it actually shows a
six-sided die rolling to resolve every combat scenario.

Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus (PC) - Finally got this
running correctly, to a point. Gameguard is the usual ballache, but the
real barrier to entry is the multiple .ini files lying around in every
last directory where configuration files could be located. But now I can
comfortably play an unpatched MMO client from fifteen years ago on a
platform that's so advanced beyond what its creators ever expected to have
to support that I can't even set screen resolution properly.

Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World (Switch/PS4) - This is so good. And
surprisingly Metroidvania-y in a way I didn't expect. The remastered game
is beautiful to look at, although the little booty dance Asha does when
she opens a treasure chest is moderately pause-inducing. The port of the
old Megadrive game annoyingly refers to A, B, and C buttons still, but
it's lovely to have both versions of the game directly at hand to compare
and contrast. It's a puzzle why the PS4 version requires you to download
the Megadrive game separately rather than shipping it on the disk, unless
it is that Sony's trying to incentivise first-sales or something. I'm glad
I got the US-region PS4 game, else the code wouldn't be valid for me.

Phantasy Star Online (PC) - The original, not the somewhat unimpressive
sequel. I mean, PSO2 looks lovely and has a lot of really nice design and
colours, but there's no getting away from the fact that it's a decade-old
iteration of the series that never actually worked well. New Genesis has
thusfar done nothing to uproot my opinion. I wish I could say that I was
enjoying the very first game on its own merits, but what I'm really doing
is levelling up a character that my son is using. he doesn't really
understand video game combat or make-the-numbers-go-up play yet, so he's
just wandering around learning how to use an analogue stick and enjoying
the pretty green scenery. Fixing it so his character can just shrug off
Booma attacks is a way of saving my hearing.

There's something magical about the original game that suggests a much
larger world than its successors does. Something about the way the
limitations of the old Dreamcast graphics made the designers pay much more
attention to portraying things like light and shadow, heat and cold.
Phantasy Star Universe made up for the lack of design with actual scope,
and both these things are quite absent in PSO2 in a way I can't quite
articulate.

Want:
--=--

All the crap I ordered from Target - That'd be Shin Megami Tensei III
Remastered and the Baldur's Gate not-sequel, and some other damn thing I
can't quite remember right now. It's been a long weekend full of childcare
and obligation.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $2,978

-KKC, who doesn't feel like he played a lot in spite of the long list.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @

Re: No Current Events Play Want Bin (PWBE 21 June 2021)

<ijba43Fa8ajU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1010&group=uk.games.video.misc#1010

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 21 Jun 2021 11:05:39 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 11:05 UTC

On 21 Jun 2021 at 01:47:19 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> Usually I cite something interesting from current events as a PWB title,
> but today I can't be bothered. I will go and make French election jokes in
> another forum though.
>
> Play:
> --=--

Layton's Mystery Journey - Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy
(Switch). They've tried a little too hard to upgrade the standard Layton
experience, with fancy multilayer parallax backgrounds and extra ways
for things to hide. Also a very poor implementation of analogue cursor
control, which goes from speed zero to too slow, then jumps to too fast.
That aside it's a perfectly normal Layton escapade with lunatic writing.
As it's set in London I'm particularly amused this time by the made up
background details like the annual festival where girls and boys line
opposite sides of the thames and fall in love - all the others had that
stuff too but being non-local it wasn't as comic. Anyway. Puzzles,
picarats and talking dogs oh my.

It Takes Two (PMG, PS5) - still endlessly inventive, still awful
narrative. I did get to make a "it's a suicide note!" joke though which
was fun.

That's it! I'm not playing much at all currently. I may have had a go at
Dorfromantik, which is always an hour well spent.

> Want:
> --=--

Energy to play games and make circuit boards. I've got a dozen PCBs for
PiStorms and five other things to build (all Amiga based) that are
queueing up behind the order for a new bunch of soldering iron tips.

> Bin:
> -==-

International delivery times.

> Expenditure:
> -----=-----

As usual I've bought more games than I've played, but they were all
cheap.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
There's no limit to the amount of work someone can do,
provided it's not the work they're supposed to be doing.

Re: No Current Events Play Want Bin (PWBE 21 June 2021)

<ay4AI.251342$TPRa.53298@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1012&group=uk.games.video.misc#1012

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 18:05:58 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 18:05 UTC

> Play:

zpsoli (Linux etc.) - I did actually play this a bit still, despite
being basically done with testing post-release. As mindless as
Solitaire is really, I still have this weird fondness for it.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

Trying an old "user mode" PDP-11 emulator (apout, or rather a newer
fork of it) which ran a bunch of V7 stuff successfully but seized up
when using awk to run zpsoli. From the TODO file last modified 16
years ago - "We should, however, implement doubles." This might as
well say "It sure would be nice if awk worked." :-) (I suppose there
might be a way around that though.)

Running into other emulator bugs/limitations while playing zpsoli. I
mean, I can understand not implementing an FPU in cases where it's
optional, but then having a CPU emulation seemingly incapable of
running the standard floating-point library correctly is a bit much.
For example on one fairly obscure Amiga emulator I tried, gawk would
convert the number 10 to a string as ":", 11 as ";", and so on. (The
same gawk binary using the same library runs fine on E-UAE, which
admittedly is rather old but I like it.) Obviously this is just one of
those things that happens sometimes, and maybe FP isn't the highest
priority in such emulators, but it's slightly frustrating all the
same.

-Rus.