From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Earthing again.
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 12:16:24 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 11:16 UTC

I used to run old electronic items that had a live or half mains voltage
chassis from an isolation transformer with the chassis locally earthed
independently. OK I know all about the dangers, but I'd suggest they are
much less than running the devices on raw direct mains with no earth at all
if you are leaving it open at the rear.
So without quoting the really obvious pitfalls and breaches of rules in
this, would you also take the chassis to an earthing rod, or to the earth
on the primary side of the transformer?
I don't see any detriment to the mains either way, since the final supply
is isolated and you should be able to earth anything you like as long as the
transformer is good and can isolate as it says on the tin, so to speak, it
certainly has the current capacity, as its bloody heavy!

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Earthing again.

<8473faac-8b0f-4d43-ab5e-7f4ffeae600fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101120&group=uk.d-i-y#101120

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 12:07:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Earthing again.
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 19:07 UTC

On Wednesday, 9 August 2023 at 12:16:31 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I used to run old electronic items that had a live or half mains voltage
> chassis from an isolation transformer with the chassis locally earthed
> independently. OK I know all about the dangers, but I'd suggest they are
> much less than running the devices on raw direct mains with no earth at all
> if you are leaving it open at the rear.
> So without quoting the really obvious pitfalls and breaches of rules in
> this, would you also take the chassis to an earthing rod, or to the earth
> on the primary side of the transformer?
> I don't see any detriment to the mains either way, since the final supply
> is isolated and you should be able to earth anything you like as long as the
> transformer is good and can isolate as it says on the tin, so to speak, it
> certainly has the current capacity, as its bloody heavy!

Don't earth it at all. That way you could touch anything (apart from the EHT)
without getting a shock apart from perhaps a very slight one from whatever
leakage current there is between primary and secondary windings.

John

> Brian
>
> --
>
> --:
> This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
> bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
> Blind user, so no pictures please
> Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Earthing again.

<ub564l$quiv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101328&group=uk.d-i-y#101328

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 12:30:25 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 11:30 UTC

Yes but if there are things that generate voltages such as eht for old
analogy crt tellies, you will still get a shock because of the different
voltages. Of course the one hand in your pocket rule is very much in order
in such cases.
Brian

--

--: