Don't be overly suspicious where it's not warranted.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Holden Astra oil change question

SubjectAuthor
* Holden Astra oil change questionTrevor Wilson
+* Holden Astra oil change questionNoddy

Pages:12
Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ss68dj$cue$6@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10036&group=aus.cars#10036

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Holden Astra oil change question
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 22:31:00 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:31 UTC

On 18/01/2022 1:27 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 12:35:12 UTC+11, Noddy wrote:

>> 6 monthly intervals is certainly short, unless you're exposing your
>> vehicle to a fairly harsh operating environment. 10 thousand or once a
>> year is fairly safe.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Not when the short, cool/cold engine running is putting contaminants in the sump at a rate of knots. ;) If its doing an *average* amount of K`s, Sure up the interval.

Fair point.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4no08FqmgoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10037&group=aus.cars#10037

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 21:52:41 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:52 UTC

On 18/01/2022 4:42 pm, alvey wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:20:28 +1000, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>>> LOL, Felix's total car knowledge could be written in block letters on
>>> the back of a tram ticket yet he dares to comment about what mechanics
>>> say:-)
>>
>> With room left over to include War and Peace!
>
> Ganging up *again* Gumps.

Well you'd know all about how to do that.

> Quite the hypocrite aren't you.

Look within grasshopper, and find your own hypocrisy.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4no6iFqplpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10038&group=aus.cars#10038

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 21:56:01 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:56 UTC

On 18/01/2022 7:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his 2003
> Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me this. His
> oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>
> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
> months, whichever comes first.
>
> Am I correct?

Here is a connected question. I took the Maz3 in for its 80K service, I
was offered, at extra cost, an engine flush with the oil change. The
extra cost was $47, I declined not seeing any good reason and felt that
the price was out of proportion.

Any (relevant) comments?

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4nqrfFratnU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10045&group=aus.cars#10045

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 23:41:17 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 12:41 UTC

On 18/1/2022 10:56 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 7:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>
>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>> months, whichever comes first.
>>
>> Am I correct?
>
> Here is a connected question. I took the Maz3 in for its 80K service, I
> was offered, at extra cost, an engine flush with the oil change. The
> extra cost was $47, I declined not seeing any good reason and felt that
> the price was out of proportion.
>
> Any (relevant) comments?

If you are using a decent oil, changing it regularly according to
time/mileage/usage, it is definitely not required. All you need is a
good quality oil, changed often, to prevent sludge and varnish build up.
Should you get, say, varnish build up, that will affect such items as
the VVT if hydraulically controlled.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ss6g84$7sj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10048&group=aus.cars#10048

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 00:44:32 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:44 UTC

On 18/01/2022 10:56 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 7:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>
>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>> months, whichever comes first.
>>
>> Am I correct?
>
> Here is a connected question. I took the Maz3 in for its 80K service, I
> was offered, at extra cost, an engine flush with the oil change. The
> extra cost was $47, I declined not seeing any good reason and felt that
> the price was out of proportion.
>
> Any (relevant) comments?

You chose wisely.

Dealer supplied "Engine flush" treatments are as much a load of snake
oil as pre packaged fuel treatment or injector cleaner products. They do
absolutely nothing other than lighten your wallet, and you would be very
hard pressed indeed to find test results from any reputable source that
found any different.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4o1rbFskr1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10050&group=aus.cars#10050

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 01:40:51 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 14:40 UTC

On 18/01/2022 10:56 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 7:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>
>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>> months, whichever comes first.
>>
>> Am I correct?
>
> Here is a connected question. I took the Maz3 in for its 80K service,
> I was offered, at extra cost, an engine flush with the oil change. The
> extra cost was $47, I declined not seeing any good reason and felt
> that the price was out of proportion.

what do you expect for $47? not an unreasonable price for a business to
charge that has high overheads, employees, etc., etc.,. of course if you
had taken it to a backyard operator you might.. I say might.. have got
it done for less. I hear there's one in Merrimu.

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ss6nqu$vji$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10056&group=aus.cars#10056

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 23:54:02 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 15:54 UTC

On 18/01/2022 5:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his 2003
> Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me this. His
> oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>
> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
> months, whichever comes first.
>
> Am I correct?

No and no need for guesswork - it's 15,000km and 12 months.

I's recommend every 6 months regardless of km but even more important is
that he replace the timing belt every 60,000km on the Z18XE.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4oqh0F2nicU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10060&group=aus.cars#10060

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 08:41:52 +1100
 by: Daryl - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 21:41 UTC

On 18/1/22 10:56 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 7:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>
>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>> months, whichever comes first.
>>
>> Am I correct?
>
> Here is a connected question. I took the Maz3 in for its 80K service, I
> was offered, at extra cost, an engine flush with the oil change. The
> extra cost was $47, I declined not seeing any good reason and felt that
> the price was out of proportion.
>
> Any (relevant) comments?

Excellent decision to decline, an oil flush is them flushing your wallet
with zero positive benefit to your engine, IHMO its more likely to have
a negative affect.
In short its a scam.

--
Daryl

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ss7i62$l2v$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10066&group=aus.cars#10066

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 10:23:46 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 23:23 UTC

On 19/01/2022 8:41 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/1/22 10:56 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 18/01/2022 7:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>>
>>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>>> months, whichever comes first.
>>>
>>> Am I correct?
>>
>> Here is a connected question. I took the Maz3 in for its 80K service,
>> I was offered, at extra cost, an engine flush with the oil change. The
>> extra cost was $47, I declined not seeing any good reason and felt
>> that the price was out of proportion.
>>
>> Any (relevant) comments?
>

> Excellent decision to decline, an oil flush is them flushing your wallet
> with zero positive benefit to your engine, IHMO its more likely to have
> a negative affect.
> In short its a scam.

Some manufacturers would probably claim that using it would void your
warranty :)

It's just snake oil, and an easy way for the dealer to whack an extra 50
bucks onto the price of your service.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4p9vvF5gqmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10077&group=aus.cars#10077

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:05:49 +1100
 by: Daryl - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 02:05 UTC

On 19/1/22 10:23 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/01/2022 8:41 am, Daryl wrote:

>>> Here is a connected question. I took the Maz3 in for its 80K service,
>>> I was offered, at extra cost, an engine flush with the oil change.
>>> The extra cost was $47, I declined not seeing any good reason and
>>> felt that the price was out of proportion.
>>>
>>> Any (relevant) comments?
>>

>> Excellent decision to decline, an oil flush is them flushing your
>> wallet with zero positive benefit to your engine, IHMO its more likely
>> to have a negative affect.
>> In short its a scam.
>
> Some manufacturers would probably claim that using it would void your
> warranty :)
>
> It's just snake oil, and an easy way for the dealer to whack an extra 50
> bucks onto the price of your service.

Exactly.
Pricks at Subaru Docklands tried to con my wife into a power steering
oil change and flush and they wanted $400.00, after she called me and I
said no the price went from $400 to $100 and I still said no unless they
could show me where Subaru said in the service schedule that it needed
to be done and if course they couldn't.

--
Daryl

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4pft5F6h2tU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10080&group=aus.cars#10080

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:47:01 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 03:47 UTC

On 19/01/2022 1:05 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 19/1/22 10:23 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> Excellent decision to decline, an oil flush is them flushing your
>>> wallet with zero positive benefit to your engine, IHMO its more
>>> likely to have a negative affect.
>>> In short its a scam.
>>
>> Some manufacturers would probably claim that using it would void your
>> warranty :)
>>
>> It's just snake oil, and an easy way for the dealer to whack an extra
>> 50 bucks onto the price of your service.
>>

> Exactly.
> Pricks at Subaru Docklands tried to con my wife into a power steering
> oil change and flush and they wanted $400.00, after she called me and
> I said no the price went from $400 to $100 and I still said no unless
> they could show me where Subaru said in the service schedule that it
> needed to be done and if course they couldn't.

I think Darwyl in reading from the noddy book of fairytales too!

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4pqorF8do1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10084&group=aus.cars#10084

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:52:11 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 06:52 UTC

On 19/01/2022 12:40 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 10:56 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 18/01/2022 7:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>>
>>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>>> months, whichever comes first.
>>>
>>> Am I correct?
>>
>> Here is a connected question. I took the Maz3 in for its 80K service,
>> I was offered, at extra cost, an engine flush with the oil change. The
>> extra cost was $47, I declined not seeing any good reason and felt
>> that the price was out of proportion.
>

> what do you expect for $47? not an unreasonable price for a business to
> charge that has high overheads, employees, etc., etc.,. of course if you
> had taken it to a backyard operator you might.. I say might.. have got
> it done for less. I hear there's one in Merrimu.
>

>> Any (relevant) comments?

What part of relevant do you not understand?

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ss8cov$mjm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10086&group=aus.cars#10086

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:57:34 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 06:57 UTC

On 18/01/2022 7:56 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 7:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>
>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>> months, whichever comes first.
>>
>> Am I correct?
>
> Here is a connected question. I took the Maz3 in for its 80K service, I
> was offered, at extra cost, an engine flush with the oil change. The
> extra cost was $47, I declined not seeing any good reason and felt that
> the price was out of proportion.
>
> Any (relevant) comments?

It's an unnecessary upsell that does nothing except lighten your wallet.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ss8csn$mjm$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10087&group=aus.cars#10087

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:59:34 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 06:59 UTC

On 18/01/2022 11:54 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 5:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>
>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>> months, whichever comes first.
>>
>> Am I correct?
>

> No and no need for guesswork - it's 15,000km and 12 months.
>
> I's recommend every 6 months regardless of km but even more important is
> that he replace the timing belt every 60,000km on the Z18XE.

Sorry, let me try that again without sounding like a pirate. *I* would
recommend every 6 months regardless of km's.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4pvgiF99itU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10100&group=aus.cars#10100

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 19:13:03 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 08:13 UTC

On 19/1/2022 5:57 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 7:56 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 18/01/2022 7:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>>
>>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>>> months, whichever comes first.
>>>
>>> Am I correct?
>>
>> Here is a connected question. I took the Maz3 in for its 80K service,
>> I was offered, at extra cost, an engine flush with the oil change. The
>> extra cost was $47, I declined not seeing any good reason and felt
>> that the price was out of proportion.
>>
>> Any (relevant) comments?
>

> It's an unnecessary upsell that does nothing except lighten your wallet.

It actually has potential to do damage. If your engine has hydraulic
VVT, a decent build up of sludge and varnish, and if a flushing
oil/fluid is used, there is the potential to dislodge chunks of sludge,
etc. which can block the finer oil passages in the VVT and leave you
with codes in the range P0010-P0025. I can think of a multitude of other
faults that can occur.

Back in the *old days*, some rural people liked running all their
vehicles on oil specced for diesel engines. Diesel oil tend to be a very
high detergent oil and keep the insides of diesels sludge free. Using
such an oil in a petrol engine *from new* was no problem as long as it
matched or exceeded the general oil specifications for the engine. The
problems arose when someone bought a car second hand and used diesel oil
in it. The sludge and varnish that had accumulated over the previous
years suddenly broke free and blocked all the finer oil passages.

I think Mobil used to make a *universal engine oil* way back that was
suitable for petrol or diesel engines. I seem to recall a name like
Mobil Land Universal or similar. It was introduced around the time I was
doing my apprenticeship but took a while to kick off. No doubt these
oils are even more popular today.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4q161F9jniU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10103&group=aus.cars#10103

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 19:41:35 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 08:41 UTC

On 19/1/2022 7:13 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 19/1/2022 5:57 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> Here is a connected question. I took the Maz3 in for its 80K service,
>>> I was offered, at extra cost, an engine flush with the oil change.
>>> The extra cost was $47, I declined not seeing any good reason and
>>> felt that the price was out of proportion.
>>>
>>> Any (relevant) comments?
>>

>> It's an unnecessary upsell that does nothing except lighten your wallet.
>
> It actually has potential to do damage. If your engine has hydraulic
> VVT, a decent build up of sludge and varnish, and if a flushing
> oil/fluid is used, there is the potential to dislodge chunks of sludge,
> etc. which can block the finer oil passages in the VVT and leave you
> with codes in the range P0010-P0025. I can think of a multitude of other
> faults that can occur.
>
> Back in the *old days*, some rural people liked running all their
> vehicles on oil specced for diesel engines. Diesel oil tend to be a very
> high detergent oil and keep the insides of diesels sludge free. Using
> such an oil in a petrol engine *from new* was no problem as long as it
> matched or exceeded the general oil specifications for the engine. The
> problems arose when someone bought a car second hand and used diesel oil
> in it. The sludge and varnish that had accumulated over the previous
> years suddenly broke free and blocked all the finer oil passages.
>
> I think Mobil used to make a *universal engine oil* way back that was
> suitable for petrol or diesel engines. I seem to recall a name like
> Mobil Land Universal or similar. It was introduced around the time I was
> doing my apprenticeship but took a while to kick off. No doubt these
> oils are even more popular today.

Seems my memory recall was mostly correct.

https://picclick.co.uk/Vintage-Mobil-Oil-5-Gallon-Mobiland-Super-Universal-303029644101.html

Mobiland was one word, not two. Obviously the name isn't used any more
but the universal oil principle remains.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ssaemg$svp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10130&group=aus.cars#10130

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:42:38 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 01:42 UTC

On 19/01/2022 1:05 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 19/1/22 10:23 am, Noddy wrote:

>> It's just snake oil, and an easy way for the dealer to whack an extra
>> 50 bucks onto the price of your service.
>>

> Exactly.
> Pricks at Subaru Docklands tried to con my wife into a power steering
> oil change and flush and they wanted $400.00, after she called me and I
> said no the price went from $400 to $100 and I still said no unless they
> could show me where Subaru said in the service schedule that it needed
> to be done and if course they couldn't.

And this is the salient point that anyone who has a car serviced at a
dealership needs to make themselves aware of.

The *only* service requirements you need to apply to your vehicle are
those specified by the manufacturer, and they are all clearly laid out
in either your owner's handbook or your service handbook. They detail
*exactly* what is required and when, and anything above and beyond this
that is *not* specifically mentioned in the factory service schedule is
purely optional and usually completely unnecessary. The only exception
to this is in cases where there has been a change in schedule after the
car was built and the manual printed, such as in altering the service
interval of a timing belt for example. However in such cases the dealer
should advice you of this, and if you want confirmation you can call the
manufacturer's help line.

This is advice people should follow regardless of where they get their
vehicle's serviced, but you need to be particularly vigilant with
dealers as they're notorious shonks who see their clients as captive
cash cows and will try to milk you for every cent they can get away with.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4rtupFkscbU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10136&group=aus.cars#10136

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:58:49 +1100
 by: Xeno - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 01:58 UTC

On 20/1/2022 12:42 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/01/2022 1:05 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 19/1/22 10:23 am, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> It's just snake oil, and an easy way for the dealer to whack an extra
>>> 50 bucks onto the price of your service.
>>>

>> Exactly.
>> Pricks at Subaru Docklands tried to con my wife into a power steering
>> oil change and flush and they wanted $400.00, after she called me and
>> I said no the price went from $400 to $100 and I still said no unless
>> they could show me where Subaru said in the service schedule that it
>> needed to be done and if course they couldn't.
>
> And this is the salient point that anyone who has a car serviced at a
> dealership needs to make themselves aware of.
>
> The *only* service requirements you need to apply to your vehicle are
> those specified by the manufacturer, and they are all clearly laid out
> in either your owner's handbook or your service handbook. They detail
> *exactly* what is required and when, and anything above and beyond this
> that is *not* specifically mentioned in the factory service schedule is
> purely optional and usually completely unnecessary. The only exception
> to this is in cases where there has been a change in schedule after the
> car was built and the manual printed, such as in altering the service
> interval of a timing belt for example. However in such cases the dealer
> should advice you of this, and if you want confirmation you can call the
> manufacturer's help line.
>
> This is advice people should follow regardless of where they get their
> vehicle's serviced, but you need to be particularly vigilant with
> dealers as they're notorious shonks who see their clients as captive
> cash cows and will try to milk you for every cent they can get away with.

You should know Darren, you're one of the biggest shonks there is,
fraudulent claims and all.