From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: HP Mini 210 - attempts to install W10
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:48:53 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:48 UTC

I can't see the original thread now, but my attempts to upgrade this rather
beautiful little laptop finally reached a conclusion, after other priorities
meant I had to put it aside for a while.

In the end I did a clean install using the media creation tool. It ran, and to
my surprise it activated using the original "Windows 7 Starter" key. It seems
to have found all necessary drivers, too. Though "ran" is misleading - it
crawls. Win7 Starter is limited to 2GB of RAM, as is the processor (Atom
N455). With W10 finally in place I did try the 4GB card which Raj generously
sent me to try, but it wouldn't even POST.

I'd wanted to "do it up" to give to a friend who has undemanding processing
needs - but I think they are more demanding than this! I have a cheap SSD
arriving later, and I'll see if that makes any difference. Process Explorer
shows the current commit charge normally under 2GB, so it might just make a
difference.

But there's a lesson here for me. If I costed the time I've spent on this I
could have justified buying my friend a basic laptop which would actually work.
So when I get time, I think a massive clear-out of all those obsolete machines
is rather overdue. However pretty...

--

Phil, London

Re: HP Mini 210 - attempts to install W10

<xn0mz0bxq49ndpp007@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1006&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1006

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: HP Mini 210 - attempts to install W10
Date: 11 Jun 2021 09:59:32 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:59 UTC

On 11/06/2021 in message
<MPG.3b2d33d11bcf159d989944@news.eternal-september.org> Philip Herlihy
wrote:

>But there's a lesson here for me. If I costed the time I've spent on this
>could have justified buying my friend a basic laptop which would actually
>work.
>So when I get time, I think a massive clear-out of all those obsolete
>machines
>is rather overdue. However pretty...

But it's fun :-)

Every machine I have had with an Atom processor has ended in the bin, they
are too under powered to be useful even for email/browsing/Office.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Re: HP Mini 210 - attempts to install W10

<iigr13F6p46U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1007&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1007

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 11 Jun 2021 10:08:35 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:08 UTC

On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:59:32 BST, ""Jeff Gaines""
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11/06/2021 in message
> <MPG.3b2d33d11bcf159d989944@news.eternal-september.org> Philip Herlihy
> wrote:
>
>> But there's a lesson here for me. If I costed the time I've spent on this
>> could have justified buying my friend a basic laptop which would actually
>> work.
>> So when I get time, I think a massive clear-out of all those obsolete
>> machines
>> is rather overdue. However pretty...
>
> But it's fun :-)
>
> Every machine I have had with an Atom processor has ended in the bin, they
> are too under powered to be useful even for email/browsing/Office.

And/or too low ram to be chromebooked. Although many real Chromebooks
are also...

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Tetris has taught me that accomplishments disappear and mistakes pile
up.

Re: HP Mini 210 - attempts to install W10

<MPG.3b2ec888816bc6de989947@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1016&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1016

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 14:35:46 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 13:35 UTC

In article <iigr13F6p46U1@mid.individual.net>, jaimie@usually.sessile.org
says...

> On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:59:32 BST, ""Jeff Gaines""
> <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On 11/06/2021 in message
> > <MPG.3b2d33d11bcf159d989944@news.eternal-september.org> Philip Herlihy
> > wrote:
> >
> >> But there's a lesson here for me. If I costed the time I've spent on this
> >> could have justified buying my friend a basic laptop which would actually
> >> work.
> >> So when I get time, I think a massive clear-out of all those obsolete
> >> machines
> >> is rather overdue. However pretty...
> >
> > But it's fun :-)
> >
> > Every machine I have had with an Atom processor has ended in the bin, they
> > are too under powered to be useful even for email/browsing/Office.
>
> And/or too low ram to be chromebooked. Although many real Chromebooks
> are also...
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

I did try a cheap (£19!) 120GB SSD in it. No difference for once. It's CPU-
bound, even when "idle". Heading for the recyling pile, after recovering the
disks. But it's such a pretty blue... (sigh).

--

Phil, London