I bought some used paint. It was in the shape of a house. -- Steven Wright

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)

SubjectAuthor
* Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
+- Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)Russell Marks
+* Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)Jaimie Vandenbergh
|`* Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)John Dow
| `* Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)Jaimie Vandenbergh
|  `- Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)John Dow
`- Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)John Dow

1
Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)

<pvSdnTo_Yu0x1n_9nZ2dnUU7-cWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1018&group=uk.games.video.misc#1018

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 19:00:44 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 00:00 UTC

Canada is on fire, Greenland and Iceland are melting, and they're going to
need submarines to get around Venice, Holland, and Texas of all places.
It's a good thing we've solved all other social and health problems and
that the human race can come together as one to solve our climate issues.

Play:
--=--

Phantasy Star Online (PC) - My kid loves playing this stupid game so much
that he can barely tear himself away to eat or go to the bathroom. That's
a bright future adulthood I'm building up for him. Anyway, since he can't
really read or understand the point of the game yet I'm secretly making
space in his inventory and improving his armour when he's not playing,
because all he really wants to do is whack Boomas and pick up the little
yellow money diamond things. I never imagined that he'd enjoy it so much,
although I'm starting to suspect that he just likes watching bright
colours and handing me the controller when he wants help.

Yakuza 0 (PC) - I am overlevelled for this part of the game, and having
all this foreknowledge of what to do isn't exactly spoiling the
experience. But I do sense that I'm missing the carefully crafted failure-
state content for being able to beat certain boss characters or complete
some missions on the first try. My 360 controller turns out to be useless
for the disco dancing minigame, because the digital D-pad is bouncy and
imprecise, and I wonder what the PC code would make of one of my Hori pads
meant for use on a PS3 or PS4.

Want:
--=--

More time - Oh hey, today's a bank holiday for me. Boo, I have to study
for my stupid Six Sigma certification exam. Yay, I might have to delay it
because there's a hurricane on the way. Boo, then I have to take it later.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $2,978

Yakuza Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 3 Remastered, 4 Remastered, 5 Remastered, and 6
(PC) - $65 or so.

Total year-to-date - $3,043

-KKC, who also got really good at procrastinating this weekend.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @

Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)

<P0FEI.911614$N5n7.842966@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1019&group=uk.games.video.misc#1019

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 14:52:31 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:52 UTC

> Play:

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 (PS4) - this sounded to me like maybe not
the greatest Lego game ever, but the original LMSH was too good to not
get the sequel eventually. I'd say it's probably a bit worse so far,
but not too bad. While I don't think the story levels have been a
strength (just as they weren't in LMSH) there have at least been some
pretty good boss battles, which is just as well as there are quite a
few of them. And for once the hub area isn't Manhattan. Well, mostly.

Mr. Driller (PS1) - a bit of this, it's been a while since I managed
to clear this and that doesn't look like it'll be changing soon. Also,
the 5000ft depth in this US version always throws me - somehow I still
find myself expecting the 1000m from the EU one.

Mahjongg Solitaire (OS/2) - I started this by double-clicking on
Mahjongg Solitaire then Mahjongg, so I can only guess what they really
meant to call it. (I've also noticed that the Klondike Solitaire is
called Solitaire Klondike at times, so it's in good company at least.)
Maybe someone had doubts after noticing the "MS" abbreviation, given
OS/2's history. Anyway, this plays the usual tile-matching game that
mostly gets called something like that. It's a decent enough version,
and remarkably, it seems they actually did resist the temptation to
slap "OS/2" all over this one... but they did put a large IBM logo in
the About box.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

The hub area in Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 feeling quite segmented and
restrictive as you play through the story. It suits the story well
enough, but they must have known this would seem oddly restrictive
after the first game. I imagine it does gradually unlock, at least.

LMSH2's awkward mix of drawing heavily on both the Marvel films and
the comics. Even in Lego form, it can be a bit jarring seeing modern
film-style Iron Man one minute then classic comic-style Thor the next.
Probably LMSH was like that too, but somehow it's more noticeable
here.

Mr. Driller's five-foot metres. Those SI units are not very S.

-Rus.

Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)

<ikhabpFk2u0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1020&group=uk.games.video.misc#1020

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 5 Jul 2021 21:02:49 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 21:02 UTC

On 5 Jul 2021 at 01:00:44 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
> Canada is on fire, Greenland and Iceland are melting, and they're going to
> need submarines to get around Venice, Holland, and Texas of all places.
> It's a good thing we've solved all other social and health problems and
> that the human race can come together as one to solve our climate issues.

And now we've got this silly virus out the way, plenty of time to do it.

> Play:
> --=--
> My 360 controller turns out to be useless
> for the disco dancing minigame, because the digital D-pad is bouncy and
> imprecise

You may want to rummage in your controllers box, there was a revision
fairly late in the 360's life that brought the dpad up to "actually,
that's fine" level. It was around when Burnout Paradise got the "dpad
left to restart the race" upgrade.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (PC) - emulated in Cemu, more to see
how well it works than with intent to replay it this way.... except it
works really really well, at 4k60, so I might. I need to do a
side-by-side with LoZ:BotW (Switch) to see how good it is.

Beat Saber (VR) - as usual.

Animal Crossing (Switch) - just to see if anything had changed. It had
not.

It Takes Two (PS4/PS5) - ice skating level last week, once again all new
mechanics. I'm really very impressed by this. Usual content warning that
the story background of a couple preparing for divorce is so bad that it
might make you divorce the person you're playing it with, even if you
need to marry them first in order to do so.

Making things for retro computers: Built a little board that sits
between my Amiga 1000 and the Motorola 68000, to add full size Kickstart
ROMs. The A1000 is mildly annoying for needing two floppy disks to boot
up, one Kickstart then one Workbench.

> Want:
> --=--

Switch Pro, so I don't need to think about playing BotW in an emulator
for extra pretties.

The sodding roms to go in my little A1000 board.

> Bin:
> -==-

The global electronic components shortage, it's making my "build things
for old computers" soldering hobby more of an annoyance than it should
be.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
None of this will matter in 20 billion years.

Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)

<slrnse8h1t.228h.jmd@Knuth.nelefa.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1021&group=uk.games.video.misc#1021

From: jmd...@nelefa.org (John Dow)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 12:53:33 +0100
 by: John Dow - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 11:53 UTC

On 2021-07-05, Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> Canada is on fire, Greenland and Iceland are melting, and they're going to
> need submarines to get around Venice, Holland, and Texas of all places.
> It's a good thing we've solved all other social and health problems and
> that the human race can come together as one to solve our climate issues.

Add to that, Edinburgh seems to be mostly underwater following bizzare levels
of rain (even for Scotland) on Sunday. World's goin' mad, I tells ya.

> Play:
> --=--

Meatrod Prime (GC). Dug out my trusty GameCube, bemoaned the fact that I
still have a GameBoy Player attached but no boot disk, then revisited MP
ahead of the forthcoming 2D game. It holds up bloody well, although it did
take me a bit of time to get used to the controls again. Especially as the
third party pad I'm using has particularly stiff triggers (oo-er - Ed).

> Want:
> --=--

The 8th to come round - at which point the final payment on my Motorcycle
will be made and I'll be RICH BEYOND MY WILDEST DREAMS.

> Bin:
> -==-
> Nothing game-related.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey. Performance is still a bit grim and everything
seems a bit cut-n-paste. No Man's Sky is doing it much better.

Choobs

Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)

<slrnse8h31.228h.jmd@Knuth.nelefa.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1022&group=uk.games.video.misc#1022

From: jmd...@nelefa.org (John Dow)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 12:54:09 +0100
 by: John Dow - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 11:54 UTC

On 2021-07-05, Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2021 at 01:00:44 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
><kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>> Canada is on fire, Greenland and Iceland are melting, and they're going to
>> need submarines to get around Venice, Holland, and Texas of all places.
>> It's a good thing we've solved all other social and health problems and
>> that the human race can come together as one to solve our climate issues.
>
> And now we've got this silly virus out the way, plenty of time to do it.

We have? You have seen the graphics recently, yes?

Choobs

Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)

<ikj4m2F4uhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1023&group=uk.games.video.misc#1023

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 6 Jul 2021 13:38:10 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 13:38 UTC

On 6 Jul 2021 at 12:54:09 BST, "John Dow" <jmd@nelefa.org> wrote:

> On 2021-07-05, Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>> On 5 Jul 2021 at 01:00:44 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
>> <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>>> Canada is on fire, Greenland and Iceland are melting, and they're going to
>>> need submarines to get around Venice, Holland, and Texas of all places.
>>> It's a good thing we've solved all other social and health problems and
>>> that the human race can come together as one to solve our climate issues.
>>
>> And now we've got this silly virus out the way, plenty of time to do it.
>
> We have? You have seen the graphics recently, yes?

I'm being as sarcastic as Kendrick. Happy birthday recently!

Cheers - Jaimie

--
The square root of rope is string. -- Core 3, Valve

Re: Unusual Weather Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jul 2021)

<slrnse9ffe.1a2tr.jmd@Knuth.nelefa.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1024&group=uk.games.video.misc#1024

From: jmd...@nelefa.org (John Dow)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 21:32:46 +0100
 by: John Dow - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 20:32 UTC

On 2021-07-06, Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 6 Jul 2021 at 12:54:09 BST, "John Dow" <jmd@nelefa.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-07-05, Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> And now we've got this silly virus out the way, plenty of time to do it.
>>
>> We have? You have seen the graphics recently, yes?
>
> I'm being as sarcastic as Kendrick. Happy birthday recently!

Ah - I see - my sarcasm detection circuits are a bit out of whack on account
of rarely seeing other humans currently :)

Choobs