What on earth would a man do with himself if something did not stand in his way? -- H. G. Wells

aus+uk / aus.electronics / Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

SubjectAuthor
* Bosch drill/driver from Total ToolsTrevor Wilson
+* Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total ToolsRod Speed
|+- Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total ToolsTrevor Wilson
|`- Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total ToolsClifford Heath
+* Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Toolskeithr0
|`* Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total ToolsXeno
| `* Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total ToolsTrevor Wilson
|  +* Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total ToolsPhil Allison
|  |`* Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total ToolsTrevor Wilson
|  | `- Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total ToolsPhil Allison
|  `- Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total ToolsXeno
`- Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools~misfit~

1
Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<io15m0Fo18mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1020&group=aus.electronics#1020

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Subject: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 17:09:50 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 07:09 UTC

I have one of these and have been using it for about a year:

https://www.totaltools.com.au/140089-bosch-12v-2-0ah-drill-driver-kit-0615990l63

The value for money is astonishing. 30Nm of torque, two speed gearbox
and a SIX YEAR warranty on the tool AND battery! Comes with a nice lunch
bag too.

To put it into perspective, my first Bosch battery drill/driver cost me
$450.00, had 6Nm less torque a slightly lower top speed and was twice
the size and weight of the new tool.

It has replaced my 3 year old Aldi drill/driver, which managed to chew
through 3 batteries (Li-Ion), was twice the size and 50% heavier than
the Bosch. The Bosch has a higher top speed and more torque. Only a 10mm
chuck though.

Highly recommended for light duty work. Hell, I even used to drill 8mm
holes in bricks, when I couldn't be bothered digging out my hammer drill.

A stunning bargain.

Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<io2vs1F4ermU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1021&group=aus.electronics#1021

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Subject: Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:42:53 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 23:42 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote

> I have one of these and have been using it for about a year:
>
> https://www.totaltools.com.au/140089-bosch-12v-2-0ah-drill-driver-kit-0615990l63
>
> The value for money is astonishing. 30Nm of torque, two speed gearbox and
> a SIX YEAR warranty on the tool AND battery! Comes with a nice lunch bag
> too.
>
> To put it into perspective, my first Bosch battery drill/driver cost me
> $450.00, had 6Nm less torque a slightly lower top speed and was twice the
> size and weight of the new tool.
>
> It has replaced my 3 year old Aldi drill/driver, which managed to chew
> through 3 batteries (Li-Ion), was twice the size and 50% heavier than the
> Bosch. The Bosch has a higher top speed and more torque. Only a 10mm chuck
> though.
>
> Highly recommended for light duty work. Hell, I even used to drill 8mm
> holes in bricks, when I couldn't be bothered digging out my hammer drill.
>
> A stunning bargain.

Thanks for that, just ordered one.

Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<io30jlF4iruU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1022&group=aus.electronics#1022

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:55:31 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 23:55 UTC

On 18/08/2021 9:42 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
>
>> I have one of these and have been using it for about a year:
>>
>> https://www.totaltools.com.au/140089-bosch-12v-2-0ah-drill-driver-kit-0615990l63
>>

>> The value for money is astonishing. 30Nm of torque, two speed gearbox
>> and a SIX YEAR warranty on the tool AND battery! Comes with a nice
>> lunch bag too.
>>
>> To put it into perspective, my first Bosch battery drill/driver cost
>> me $450.00, had 6Nm less torque a slightly lower top speed and was
>> twice the size and weight of the new tool.
>>
>> It has replaced my 3 year old Aldi drill/driver, which managed to chew
>> through 3 batteries (Li-Ion), was twice the size and 50% heavier than
>> the Bosch. The Bosch has a higher top speed and more torque. Only a
>> 10mm chuck though.
>>
>> Highly recommended for light duty work. Hell, I even used to drill 8mm
>> holes in bricks, when I couldn't be bothered digging out my hammer drill.
>>
>> A stunning bargain.
>
> Thanks for that, just ordered one.

**I've been using mine for just over a year. Every single day. Hasn't
missed a beat. Which is more than I can say about the Aldi drill that
the Bosch replaced.

Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<169c8a703ea94dff$1$2262039$72dd786b@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1023&group=aus.electronics#1023

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:29:39 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:29 UTC

On 18/8/21 9:42 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
>
>> I have one of these and have been using it for about a year:
>>
>> https://www.totaltools.com.au/140089-bosch-12v-2-0ah-drill-driver-kit-0615990l63
>>

>> The value for money is astonishing. 30Nm of torque, two speed gearbox
>> and a SIX YEAR warranty on the tool AND battery! Comes with a nice
>> lunch bag too.
>>
>> To put it into perspective, my first Bosch battery drill/driver cost
>> me $450.00, had 6Nm less torque a slightly lower top speed and was
>> twice the size and weight of the new tool.
>>
>> It has replaced my 3 year old Aldi drill/driver, which managed to chew
>> through 3 batteries (Li-Ion), was twice the size and 50% heavier than
>> the Bosch. The Bosch has a higher top speed and more torque. Only a
>> 10mm chuck though.
>>
>> Highly recommended for light duty work. Hell, I even used to drill 8mm
>> holes in bricks, when I couldn't be bothered digging out my hammer drill.
>>
>> A stunning bargain.
>
> Thanks for that, just ordered one.

Me too. Thanks Trevor.

Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<io5jqlFjur4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1024&group=aus.electronics#1024

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:35:48 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:35 UTC

On 17/08/2021 5:09 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I have one of these and have been using it for about a year:
>
> https://www.totaltools.com.au/140089-bosch-12v-2-0ah-drill-driver-kit-0615990l63
>

> The value for money is astonishing. 30Nm of torque, two speed gearbox
> and a SIX YEAR warranty on the tool AND battery! Comes with a nice lunch
> bag too.
>
> To put it into perspective, my first Bosch battery drill/driver cost me
> $450.00, had 6Nm less torque a slightly lower top speed and was twice
> the size and weight of the new tool.
>
> It has replaced my 3 year old Aldi drill/driver, which managed to chew
> through 3 batteries (Li-Ion), was twice the size and 50% heavier than
> the Bosch. The Bosch has a higher top speed and more torque. Only a 10mm
> chuck though.
>
> Highly recommended for light duty work. Hell, I even used to drill 8mm
> holes in bricks, when I couldn't be bothered digging out my hammer drill.
>
> A stunning bargain.

I've had an Aldi 18v drill for about a year, it works well enough
although the chuck isn't the best. I've had an Aldi 20v impact driver
for over 5 years, it has removed hundreds of old corroded screws and
bolts, and driven just as many. A great bargain.

Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<io5oj7FkodlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1025&group=aus.electronics#1025

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:57:11 +1000
 by: Xeno - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 00:57 UTC

On 19/8/21 9:35 am, keithr0 wrote:
> On 17/08/2021 5:09 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> I have one of these and have been using it for about a year:
>>
>> https://www.totaltools.com.au/140089-bosch-12v-2-0ah-drill-driver-kit-0615990l63
>>

>> The value for money is astonishing. 30Nm of torque, two speed gearbox
>> and a SIX YEAR warranty on the tool AND battery! Comes with a nice
>> lunch bag too.
>>
>> To put it into perspective, my first Bosch battery drill/driver cost
>> me $450.00, had 6Nm less torque a slightly lower top speed and was
>> twice the size and weight of the new tool.
>>
>> It has replaced my 3 year old Aldi drill/driver, which managed to chew
>> through 3 batteries (Li-Ion), was twice the size and 50% heavier than
>> the Bosch. The Bosch has a higher top speed and more torque. Only a
>> 10mm chuck though.
>>
>> Highly recommended for light duty work. Hell, I even used to drill 8mm
>> holes in bricks, when I couldn't be bothered digging out my hammer drill.
>>
>> A stunning bargain.
>
> I've had an Aldi 18v drill for about a year, it works well enough
> although the chuck isn't the best. I've had an Aldi 20v impact driver
> for over 5 years, it has removed hundreds of old corroded screws and
> bolts, and driven just as many. A great bargain.

I'd buy one but I have enough corded and battery drills here already.
Most recent was a decent Ryobi battery drill that does what I need.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<io5pc7Fkt3gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1026&group=aus.electronics#1026

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:10:29 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 01:10 UTC

On 19/08/2021 10:57 am, Xeno wrote:
> On 19/8/21 9:35 am, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 17/08/2021 5:09 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> I have one of these and have been using it for about a year:
>>>
>>> https://www.totaltools.com.au/140089-bosch-12v-2-0ah-drill-driver-kit-0615990l63
>>>

>>> The value for money is astonishing. 30Nm of torque, two speed gearbox
>>> and a SIX YEAR warranty on the tool AND battery! Comes with a nice
>>> lunch bag too.
>>>
>>> To put it into perspective, my first Bosch battery drill/driver cost
>>> me $450.00, had 6Nm less torque a slightly lower top speed and was
>>> twice the size and weight of the new tool.
>>>
>>> It has replaced my 3 year old Aldi drill/driver, which managed to
>>> chew through 3 batteries (Li-Ion), was twice the size and 50% heavier
>>> than the Bosch. The Bosch has a higher top speed and more torque.
>>> Only a 10mm chuck though.
>>>
>>> Highly recommended for light duty work. Hell, I even used to drill
>>> 8mm holes in bricks, when I couldn't be bothered digging out my
>>> hammer drill.
>>>
>>> A stunning bargain.
>>
>> I've had an Aldi 18v drill for about a year, it works well enough
>> although the chuck isn't the best. I've had an Aldi 20v impact driver
>> for over 5 years, it has removed hundreds of old corroded screws and
>> bolts, and driven just as many. A great bargain.
>
> I'd buy one but I have enough corded and battery drills here already.
> Most recent was a decent Ryobi battery drill that does what I need.

**True story:

3 years ago, I began an intensive investigation on 18V tools, with the
view to buying the last set of battery tools I will ever need. I checked
out everyone I knew who had owned the brands I had short-listed (which
was most of them). I attended a client's home to do some work and met up
with an old mate who did a similar job. I noted that he was using Ryobi
tools (which were on my short list). I asked him about Ryobi. His response:

"Trev, I've used them all. Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, AEG, Makita, etc. I
find Ryobi powerful enough to do my kind of work. It's been completely
reliable and is very well priced. But, the best thing about Ryobi tools
is that, when you're on a job-site with other tradies, none of them will
steal a Ryobi tool. Snobs."

LOL!

Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<f450acb9-003f-4434-8735-edaf5ba17c71n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1027&group=aus.electronics#1027

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 19:03:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 02:03 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:
===============

> **True story:
>
> 3 years ago, I began an intensive investigation on 18V tools, with the
> view to buying the last set of battery tools I will ever need. I checked
> out everyone I knew who had owned the brands I had short-listed (which
> was most of them). I attended a client's home to do some work and met up
> with an old mate who did a similar job. I noted that he was using Ryobi
> tools (which were on my short list). I asked him about Ryobi. His response:
>
> "Trev, I've used them all. Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, AEG, Makita, etc. I
> find Ryobi powerful enough to do my kind of work. It's been completely
> reliable and is very well priced. But, the best thing about Ryobi tools
> is that, when you're on a job-site with other tradies, none of them will
> steal a Ryobi tool. Snobs."
>
> LOL!

** I have a Ryobi drill press bought new in 1995 for $165.

https://www.allbids.com.au/c/industrial-tools-building-supplies/tools-hardware/ryobi-5speed-drill-press-1007349

The on/off switch failed about 10 years ago and the plastic depth guide fell apart about the same time.
Otherwise still going strong and capable of heavy and quite precise work.

Used it mostly for drilling extruded heatsinks and making holes for XLRs in die cast boxes with a Hall step drill.

..... Phil

Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<io61ktFmbm8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1028&group=aus.electronics#1028

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 13:31:40 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 03:31 UTC

On 19/08/2021 12:03 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
> ===============
>>
>> **True story:
>>
>> 3 years ago, I began an intensive investigation on 18V tools, with the
>> view to buying the last set of battery tools I will ever need. I checked
>> out everyone I knew who had owned the brands I had short-listed (which
>> was most of them). I attended a client's home to do some work and met up
>> with an old mate who did a similar job. I noted that he was using Ryobi
>> tools (which were on my short list). I asked him about Ryobi. His response:
>>
>> "Trev, I've used them all. Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, AEG, Makita, etc. I
>> find Ryobi powerful enough to do my kind of work. It's been completely
>> reliable and is very well priced. But, the best thing about Ryobi tools
>> is that, when you're on a job-site with other tradies, none of them will
>> steal a Ryobi tool. Snobs."
>>
>> LOL!
>

> ** I have a Ryobi drill press bought new in 1995 for $165.
>
> https://www.allbids.com.au/c/industrial-tools-building-supplies/tools-hardware/ryobi-5speed-drill-press-1007349
>
> The on/off switch failed about 10 years ago and the plastic depth guide fell apart about the same time.
> Otherwise still going strong and capable of heavy and quite precise work.
>
> Used it mostly for drilling extruded heatsinks and making holes for XLRs in die cast boxes with a Hall step drill.
>

> .... Phil

**Ryobi (battery) tools have changed. For the better, IMO. My first
couple of battery drills were Ryobi ones. Japanese made. Gearbox
problems afflicted both. That's when I switched to Bosch. I've spoken to
a few owners of the new (Chinese) Ryobi tools and none report any
significant issues. MY drill press is a Kira NSD-13R. I estimate it's
age at about 60 ~ 70 years. Works a treat.

Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<sfl8kr$jt1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1029&group=aus.electronics#1029

From: shaun.at...@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 21:35:23 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:35 UTC

On 17/08/2021 7:09 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I have one of these and have been using it for about a year:
>
> https://www.totaltools.com.au/140089-bosch-12v-2-0ah-drill-driver-kit-0615990l63
>
> The value for money is astonishing. 30Nm of torque, two speed gearbox and a SIX YEAR warranty on
> the tool AND battery! Comes with a nice lunch bag too.
>
> To put it into perspective, my first Bosch battery drill/driver cost me $450.00, had 6Nm less
> torque a slightly lower top speed and was twice the size and weight of the new tool.
>
> It has replaced my 3 year old Aldi drill/driver, which managed to chew through 3 batteries
> (Li-Ion), was twice the size and 50% heavier than the Bosch. The Bosch has a higher top speed and
> more torque. Only a 10mm chuck though.
>
> Highly recommended for light duty work. Hell, I even used to drill 8mm holes in bricks, when I
> couldn't be bothered digging out my hammer drill.
>
> A stunning bargain.

I'd buy one but I doubt that the free delivery includes NZ. Awesome deal for you Aussies though.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<7428090c-1ddb-4b52-a3d2-2cf71c5e6601n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1030&group=aus.electronics#1030

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 03:01:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:01 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:
=================

> > ** I have a Ryobi drill press bought new in 1995 for $165.
> > https://www.allbids.com.au/c/industrial-tools-building-supplies/tools-hardware/ryobi-5speed-drill-press-1007349
> > The on/off switch failed about 10 years ago and the plastic depth guide fell apart about the same time.
> > Otherwise still going strong and capable of heavy and quite precise work.
> > Used it mostly for drilling extruded heatsinks and making holes for XLRs in die cast boxes with a Hall step drill.
> >

> **Ryobi (battery) tools have changed. For the better, IMO. My first
> couple of battery drills were Ryobi ones. Japanese made. Gearbox
> problems afflicted both. That's when I switched to Bosch. I've spoken to
> a few owners of the new (Chinese) Ryobi tools and none report any
> significant issues. MY drill press is a Kira NSD-13R. I estimate it's
> age at about 60 ~ 70 years. Works a treat.

** Yep - that Ryobi drill press has gotta be the best $165 I ever spent.
One of those tool that soon after purchase - you wonder how you ever survived without.

FYI:

at about the same time I bought a Bosch ( made in Switzerland) 4 x NiCd screwdriver.
I recall the young sales dude at Bunnings Ashfield kinda sneering cos it was a $45 cheapie.

Well, I still use it daily - for easy and tough jobs.
No speed control, just forward and reverse.

It is now on its third set of Sanyo 1.2 AH NiCd cells bought from WES, after the originals.
Too simple to break down.
Perfect for all the small Philips head screws that hold electronics together.

...... Phil

Re: Bosch drill/driver from Total Tools

<io6pqjFqo2tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1031&group=aus.electronics#1031

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 20:24:19 +1000
 by: Xeno - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:24 UTC

On 19/8/21 11:10 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 19/08/2021 10:57 am, Xeno wrote:

>>> I've had an Aldi 18v drill for about a year, it works well enough
>>> although the chuck isn't the best. I've had an Aldi 20v impact driver
>>> for over 5 years, it has removed hundreds of old corroded screws and
>>> bolts, and driven just as many. A great bargain.
>>
>> I'd buy one but I have enough corded and battery drills here already.
>> Most recent was a decent Ryobi battery drill that does what I need.
>>

> **True story:
>
> 3 years ago, I began an intensive investigation on 18V tools, with the
> view to buying the last set of battery tools I will ever need. I checked
> out everyone I knew who had owned the brands I had short-listed (which
> was most of them). I attended a client's home to do some work and met up
> with an old mate who did a similar job. I noted that he was using Ryobi
> tools (which were on my short list). I asked him about Ryobi. His response:
>
> "Trev, I've used them all. Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, AEG, Makita, etc. I
> find Ryobi powerful enough to do my kind of work. It's been completely
> reliable and is very well priced. But, the best thing about Ryobi tools
> is that, when you're on a job-site with other tradies, none of them will
> steal a Ryobi tool. Snobs."
>
> LOL!

That's funny - but true too.