The nation that controls magnetism controls the universe. -- Chester Gould/Dick Tracy

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Overgrown privet hedge

SubjectAuthor
* Overgrown privet hedgeNick Maclaren
+* Re: Overgrown privet hedgeJeff Layman
|`* Re: Overgrown privet hedgeNick Maclaren
| `- Re: Overgrown privet hedgeThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: Overgrown privet hedgeJim Jackson
|`- Re: Overgrown privet hedgeThe Natural Philosopher
`- Re: Overgrown privet hedgeThe Natural Philosopher

1
Overgrown privet hedge

<saa8ns$nu6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1021&group=uk.rec.gardening#1021

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Overgrown privet hedge
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 13:08:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 13:08 UTC

I have a neighbour's privet hedge that is a pain in the, er, neck,
and need to cut it back. Unfortunately, over 30 years ago, I gave
away my mechanical hedgetrimmers because I wasn't strong enough in
the arms to use it safely. While the hedge has been trimmed since,
I need something that will go through a year's vigorous growth (say
1 cm plus) and preferably older stuff. I could handle a SHORT tool
with a long enough handle to get my hands 40+ cm apart.

The only possibilities I can find are polesaws and the Bosch Keo/Isio
and I am not convinced that either will handle such use. Has anyone
found a solution?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Overgrown privet hedge

<saaju7$c8k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1022&group=uk.rec.gardening#1022

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Overgrown privet hedge
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 17:19:18 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:19 UTC

On 15/06/2021 14:08, Nick Maclaren wrote:
> I have a neighbour's privet hedge that is a pain in the, er, neck,
> and need to cut it back. Unfortunately, over 30 years ago, I gave
> away my mechanical hedgetrimmers because I wasn't strong enough in
> the arms to use it safely. While the hedge has been trimmed since,
> I need something that will go through a year's vigorous growth (say
> 1 cm plus) and preferably older stuff. I could handle a SHORT tool
> with a long enough handle to get my hands 40+ cm apart.
>
> The only possibilities I can find are polesaws and the Bosch Keo/Isio
> and I am not convinced that either will handle such use. Has anyone
> found a solution?
>

> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

What is the height and length of the hedge?

My pole hedge trimmer (and old Titan from Screwfix) is very heavy and
awkward. I use it as little as possible, although it does the job on a
mixed hedge. Having said that, have a look at the Gtech HT20 (if you can
still get it). It is a lot lighter than mine and I reckon you could use
one hand to work the trigger and use the other to hold the pole itself.
It looks like it has enough power to deal with thickish branches. I
can't see the Bosch tool you mentioned operating as an effective hedge
trimmer as it would more than likely push thinner branches out of the
way rather than cut through them, BICBW.

Maybe the answer is to not DIY if you can find someone else to do the
job properly.

--

Jeff

Re: Overgrown privet hedge

<slrnscklrh.99l.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1023&group=uk.rec.gardening#1023

From: jj...@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 19:56:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 19:56 UTC

On 2021-06-15, Nick Maclaren <nmm@wheeler.UUCP> wrote:

> I have a neighbour's privet hedge that is a pain in the, er, neck,
> and need to cut it back. Unfortunately, over 30 years ago, I gave
> away my mechanical hedgetrimmers because I wasn't strong enough in
> the arms to use it safely. While the hedge has been trimmed since,
> I need something that will go through a year's vigorous growth (say
> 1 cm plus) and preferably older stuff. I could handle a SHORT tool
> with a long enough handle to get my hands 40+ cm apart.
>
> The only possibilities I can find are polesaws and the Bosch Keo/Isio
> and I am not convinced that either will handle such use. Has anyone
> found a solution?

Get someone in to do it? If you are anything like me, my natural
inclination is always to DIY, but for some things maybe we just have to
recognise progressing old age.

good luck
Jim

Re: Overgrown privet hedge

<safjut$so7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1026&group=uk.rec.gardening#1026

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 14:50:20 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 13:50 UTC

On 15/06/2021 14:08, Nick Maclaren wrote:
> I have a neighbour's privet hedge that is a pain in the, er, neck,
> and need to cut it back. Unfortunately, over 30 years ago, I gave
> away my mechanical hedgetrimmers because I wasn't strong enough in
> the arms to use it safely. While the hedge has been trimmed since,
> I need something that will go through a year's vigorous growth (say
> 1 cm plus) and preferably older stuff. I could handle a SHORT tool
> with a long enough handle to get my hands 40+ cm apart.

Sounds like tree loppers, as opposed to secateurs or pruning shears, are
what you need.

e.g.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/spear-jackson-razorsharp-tele-anvil-lopper/12829977.html

> The only possibilities I can find are polesaws and the Bosch Keo/Isio
> and I am not convinced that either will handle such use. Has anyone
> found a solution?

You don't need a saw below about 20mm

Much less hassle to slowly and with a dignity that befits your age
(especially if on a step ladder) cut the big stuff with tree loppers and
the small stuff with hand shears

--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Re: Overgrown privet hedge

<safk92$v1b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1027&group=uk.rec.gardening#1027

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 14:55:45 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 13:55 UTC

On 16/06/2021 20:56, Jim Jackson wrote:
> On 2021-06-15, Nick Maclaren <nmm@wheeler.UUCP> wrote:
>>
>> I have a neighbour's privet hedge that is a pain in the, er, neck,
>> and need to cut it back. Unfortunately, over 30 years ago, I gave
>> away my mechanical hedgetrimmers because I wasn't strong enough in
>> the arms to use it safely. While the hedge has been trimmed since,
>> I need something that will go through a year's vigorous growth (say
>> 1 cm plus) and preferably older stuff. I could handle a SHORT tool
>> with a long enough handle to get my hands 40+ cm apart.
>>
>> The only possibilities I can find are polesaws and the Bosch Keo/Isio
>> and I am not convinced that either will handle such use. Has anyone
>> found a solution?
>>

> Get someone in to do it? If you are anything like me, my natural
> inclination is always to DIY, but for some things maybe we just have to
> recognise progressing old age.
>
> good luck
> Jim

I am finding that I am using hand tools more as I get aching arms with
hedgetrimmers and strimmers, and need the exercise and have the time..

My tools are secateurs for rose pruning and small shrub pruning, hand
shears for lawn edges and moderate hedge trimming, tree loppers for more
serious pruning back on larger section, a very occasionally used pruning
saw for stuff over an inch and ultimately a chainsaw with a petrol
engine for 'the places other tools cannot reach' - that is anything from
about 2"-30"

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

- Leo Tolstoy

Re: Overgrown privet hedge

<sai9li$n5a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1037&group=uk.rec.gardening#1037

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 14:13:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 14:13 UTC

In article <saaju7$c8k$1@dont-email.me>,
Jeff Layman <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>> I have a neighbour's privet hedge that is a pain in the, er, neck,
>> and need to cut it back. Unfortunately, over 30 years ago, I gave
>> away my mechanical hedgetrimmers because I wasn't strong enough in
>> the arms to use it safely. While the hedge has been trimmed since,
>> I need something that will go through a year's vigorous growth (say
>> 1 cm plus) and preferably older stuff. I could handle a SHORT tool
>> with a long enough handle to get my hands 40+ cm apart.
>>
>> The only possibilities I can find are polesaws and the Bosch Keo/Isio
>> and I am not convinced that either will handle such use. Has anyone
>> found a solution?
>
>What is the height and length of the hedge?

2m and c. 30m.

>Maybe the answer is to not DIY if you can find someone else to do the
>job properly.

Thanks (and to the other responders). That's what I do, but it's not
entirely satisfactory, and I would like something less tedious than
hand tools for what they haven't done hard enough. But it sounds as
if I am out of luck.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Overgrown privet hedge

<saksd5$6r4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1055&group=uk.rec.gardening#1055

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 14:45:09 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 13:45 UTC

On 18/06/2021 15:13, Nick Maclaren wrote:
> I would like something less tedious than
> hand tools for what they haven't done hard enough. But it sounds as
> if I am out of luck.

The problem is that anything faster than you with your 50-150W
capability is going to be heavy.

I just dedicate e.g a whole day to using tree loppers and gloves and a
barrow to get on with the job without fuss. I need that sort of exercise
anyway. light but long.

Josef Stalin