I came to MIT to get an education for myself and a diploma for my mother.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Replaceable batteries

SubjectAuthor
* Replaceable batteriesalan_m
+* Re: Replaceable batteriesTim+
|+- Re: Replaceable batteriesJohn Rumm
|`- Re: Replaceable batteriesSteveW
+- Re: Replaceable batteriesPaul
+* Re: Replaceable batteriesRobin
|`* Re: Replaceable batteriesJohn Walliker
| `- Re: Replaceable batteriesRobin
`- Re: Replaceable batteriesBrian Gaff

1
Replaceable batteries

<kkdoguFh232U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102122&group=uk.d-i-y#102122

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Replaceable batteries
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 07:01:02 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 06:01 UTC

This video suggests that the EUs legislation on the "layman" being able
to replace the battery in a phone, laptop or tablet etc. also appli4s to
EVs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo-k-Qosy8A
Although the video is about batteries in smart phones check 2:30 minutes in.
https://youtu.be/Fo-k-Qosy8A?t=150

Re: Replaceable batteries

<818586105.714205960.626069.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102123&group=uk.d-i-y#102123

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Replaceable batteries
Date: 20 Aug 2023 06:35:51 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 06:35 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> This video suggests that the EUs legislation on the "layman" being able
> to replace the battery in a phone, laptop or tablet etc. also appli4s to
> EVs.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo-k-Qosy8A
> Although the video is about batteries in smart phones check 2:30 minutes in.
> https://youtu.be/Fo-k-Qosy8A?t=150

I remember the bad old days when you had to be obsessive about keeping your
mobile phone dry lest the damp killed it. That kinda went away when
batteries became harder to replace. Not a coincidence methinks…

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Replaceable batteries

<ubsia4$19p9n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102131&group=uk.d-i-y#102131

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 04:19:15 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 08:19 UTC

On 8/20/2023 2:01 AM, alan_m wrote:

> This video suggests that the EUs legislation on the "layman" being able to replace the battery in a phone, laptop or tablet etc. also appli4s to EVs.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo-k-Qosy8A
> Although the video is about batteries in smart phones check 2:30 minutes in.
> https://youtu.be/Fo-k-Qosy8A?t=150

EVs have a "marriage ceremony" between the
controller and the battery pack.

Let's say the battery in your Porsche Taycan is knackered,
and you spot a neighbours Taycan down the street. You get
on your mechanics slider, go under the car and steal the
lithium battery pack.

If you plug the stolen battery pack into your car... nothing happens.

The car will not use the battery pack, unless the serial number is correct.

The dealer has software, which will "join" a new serial number with the car.
If the dealer changes out a battery pack, they have the means to make
the car operational again, with the new pack.

Some smartphones are also serialized that way, such that installing
various kinds of replacement parts, does not work as expected.
(Perhaps the new fingerprint reader module does not work.)

So whatever the right-to-repair laws specify, that is the
antithesis of how the hardware is designed. The manufacturers
will ask for "exceptions" for stuff like this.

On some cars, I can see battery identification as being important.
Tesla Model 3 cars, have shipped with Lithium Cobalt packs or
shipped with Lithium Iron Phosphate packs. It's even possible
they changed over, in mid-production, in North America. The voltages
on those would be different. The acceleration in the car, when
powered with Lithium Iron Phosphate, is slightly worse (or so it is
claimed). The hardware could be easily designed to work with
both, but that may not be spelled out in the user documentation.

I don't know what this will do for theft-proofing. The serial numbers
can stay, but perhaps the manufacturer will be prevented from
stopping the car from moving, if the serial number changes.

Paul

Re: Replaceable batteries

<b5d689ca-229b-cd82-29b4-d24ded33c625@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102132&group=uk.d-i-y#102132

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:44:32 +0100
 by: Robin - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 08:44 UTC

On 20/08/2023 07:01, alan_m wrote:

> This video suggests that the EUs legislation on the "layman" being able
> to replace the battery in a phone, laptop or tablet etc. also appli4s to
> EVs.

Yes and no. The new regulations apply but have derogations for some
uses which allow replacement only by *professionals*. On EVs:

"SLI batteries and electric vehicle batteries that are incorporated in
motor vehicles should be removable and replaceable by independent
professionals."

pp 32 in
https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/PE-2-2023-INIT/en/pdf

--
Robin

Re: Replaceable batteries

<ubsm3v$1a9t2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102144&group=uk.d-i-y#102144

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:24:15 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:24 UTC

Can you imagine the chaos though.
I note that a new device that has always had replaceable battery, known as
the Victor Reader Stream, has a new version which does not have a user
replaceable battery.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message

> This video suggests that the EUs legislation on the "layman" being able to
> replace the battery in a phone, laptop or tablet etc. also appli4s to EVs.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo-k-Qosy8A
> Although the video is about batteries in smart phones check 2:30 minutes
> in.
> https://youtu.be/Fo-k-Qosy8A?t=150
>
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Re: Replaceable batteries

<ubtmvm$1gcf6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102191&group=uk.d-i-y#102191

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 19:45:09 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 18:45 UTC

On 20/08/2023 07:35, Tim+ wrote:
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> This video suggests that the EUs legislation on the "layman" being able
>> to replace the battery in a phone, laptop or tablet etc. also appli4s to
>> EVs.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo-k-Qosy8A
>> Although the video is about batteries in smart phones check 2:30 minutes in.
>> https://youtu.be/Fo-k-Qosy8A?t=150
>>

> I remember the bad old days when you had to be obsessive about keeping your
> mobile phone dry lest the damp killed it. That kinda went away when
> batteries became harder to replace. Not a coincidence methinks…

It would be entirely possible to make the batter relatively easy to
change without compromising its IP rating. As evidenced by the few
remaining phones with headphone jacks that are submersible.

Replaceable does not necessarily mean pops out tool free - you may
still need to remove the back to access it. The key requirement though
is that maker will actually sell you a battery, and not go out of their
way to make it difficult to change, say by welding the case shut and
gluing the battery in, and then requiring propitiatory software to
"pair" the new battery with the phone that they refuse to supply to the
end user etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Replaceable batteries

<7c495610-5a75-41c2-aafa-472368daec59n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102246&group=uk.d-i-y#102246

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 05:21:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 12:21 UTC

On Sunday, 20 August 2023 at 09:44:38 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
> On 20/08/2023 07:01, alan_m wrote:
> >

> > This video suggests that the EUs legislation on the "layman" being able
> > to replace the battery in a phone, laptop or tablet etc. also appli4s to
> > EVs.
> >
> Yes and no. The new regulations apply but have derogations for some
> uses which allow replacement only by *professionals*. On EVs:
>
> "SLI batteries and electric vehicle batteries that are incorporated in
> motor vehicles should be removable and replaceable by independent
> professionals."

Unfortunately, the word "should" instead of "must" makes this a gentle
suggestion rather than anything stronger.

John

> pp 32 in
> https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/PE-2-2023-INIT/en/pdf
>

> --
> Robin
> reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

Re: Replaceable batteries

<38f5f609-b6d2-50b7-c1cb-4834b7ad0d64@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102269&group=uk.d-i-y#102269

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 16:31:54 +0100
 by: Robin - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 15:31 UTC

On 21/08/2023 13:21, John Walliker wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 August 2023 at 09:44:38 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
>> On 20/08/2023 07:01, alan_m wrote:
>>>

>>> This video suggests that the EUs legislation on the "layman" being able
>>> to replace the battery in a phone, laptop or tablet etc. also appli4s to
>>> EVs.
>>>
>> Yes and no. The new regulations apply but have derogations for some
>> uses which allow replacement only by *professionals*. On EVs:
>>
>> "SLI batteries and electric vehicle batteries that are incorporated in
>> motor vehicles should be removable and replaceable by independent
>> professionals."
>
> Unfortunately, the word "should" instead of "must" makes this a gentle
> suggestion rather than anything stronger.

Yes, it's just setting out the policy they want to see pursued in other
Directives/Regulations.

--
Robin

Re: Replaceable batteries

<uc0pf0$231bk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102287&group=uk.d-i-y#102287

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 23:45:52 +0100
 by: SteveW - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 22:45 UTC

On 20/08/2023 07:35, Tim+ wrote:
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> This video suggests that the EUs legislation on the "layman" being able
>> to replace the battery in a phone, laptop or tablet etc. also appli4s to
>> EVs.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo-k-Qosy8A
>> Although the video is about batteries in smart phones check 2:30 minutes in.
>> https://youtu.be/Fo-k-Qosy8A?t=150
>>

> I remember the bad old days when you had to be obsessive about keeping your
> mobile phone dry lest the damp killed it. That kinda went away when
> batteries became harder to replace. Not a coincidence methinks…

Just like my watch, it is possible to have seals and screws, instead of
leaky clip-on backs or sealed glued on backs. It just costs a few pence
more to manufacture.