HOW YOU CAN TELL THAT IT'S GOING TO BE A ROTTEN DAY: #1040 Your income tax refund cheque bounces.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Video doorbells - Eufy ?

SubjectAuthor
* Video doorbells - Eufy ?Jethro_uk
+* Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?Theo
|`* Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?Jethro_uk
| +* Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?Theo
| |+- Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?Fredxx
| |`- Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?Fredxx
| `- Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?Brian Gaff
`- Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?Brian

1
Video doorbells - Eufy ?

<ubt8th$1a884$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102174&group=uk.d-i-y#102174

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Video doorbells - Eufy ?
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:45:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:45 UTC

May be in the market for a video doorbell.

Key requirements are nothing requiring a subscription, and the ability to
move video to storage under my control.

Eufy seem to look likely.

So has anyone any experience ? They seem to use SD Cards for initial
storage. But is it possible to copy files off and clean them up remotely ?

Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?

<7vf*6Tioz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102178&group=uk.d-i-y#102178

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?
Date: 20 Aug 2023 16:14:51 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 15:14 UTC

Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
> May be in the market for a video doorbell.
>
> Key requirements are nothing requiring a subscription, and the ability to
> move video to storage under my control.
>
> Eufy seem to look likely.

Eufy 'don't use the cloud', except when they just do it without telling you:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/02/ankers-eufy-admits-problems-with-unencrypted-video-access-pledges-overhaul/

Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?

<ubtdkk$1a884$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102181&group=uk.d-i-y#102181

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 16:05:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 16:05 UTC

On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 16:14:51 +0100, Theo wrote:

> Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
>> May be in the market for a video doorbell.
>>
>> Key requirements are nothing requiring a subscription, and the ability
>> to move video to storage under my control.
>>
>> Eufy seem to look likely.
>
> Eufy 'don't use the cloud', except when they just do it without telling
> you:
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/02/ankers-eufy-admits-problems-
with-unencrypted-video-access-pledges-overhaul/

Which is why I asked here :)

Having been on a bit of a journey, my main design parameter is no fecking
subscriptions.

At work I have just ripped out £5,000 worth of annual subscriptions for
what boiled down to fuck all, in favour of self hosted FOSS solutions for
around £200 a year. The most satisfying being a company that couldn't
export *our* data in the way we wanted. Until we cancelled. Then they
could.

Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?

<5vf*2dkoz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102202&group=uk.d-i-y#102202

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 20 Aug 2023 22:21:29 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 21:21 UTC

Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
> Which is why I asked here :)
>
> Having been on a bit of a journey, my main design parameter is no fecking
> subscriptions.
>
> At work I have just ripped out £5,000 worth of annual subscriptions for
> what boiled down to fuck all, in favour of self hosted FOSS solutions for
> around £200 a year. The most satisfying being a company that couldn't
> export *our* data in the way we wanted. Until we cancelled. Then they
> could.

One suggestion in the comment thread on that article is IP cameras and a
separate recording mini-PC. Then the storage isn't subject to the camera
vendors' cloudy ambitions or storage limits.

Not sure what the doorbell version of an IP camera is, but perhaps such
exist?

Theo

Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?

<ubu2qj$1i9io$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102206&group=uk.d-i-y#102206

From: fre...@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 23:07:15 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 22:07 UTC

On 20/08/2023 22:21, Theo wrote:
> Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
>> Which is why I asked here :)
>>
>> Having been on a bit of a journey, my main design parameter is no fecking
>> subscriptions.
>>
>> At work I have just ripped out £5,000 worth of annual subscriptions for
>> what boiled down to fuck all, in favour of self hosted FOSS solutions for
>> around £200 a year. The most satisfying being a company that couldn't
>> export *our* data in the way we wanted. Until we cancelled. Then they
>> could.
>
> One suggestion in the comment thread on that article is IP cameras and a
> separate recording mini-PC. Then the storage isn't subject to the camera
> vendors' cloudy ambitions or storage limits.
>
> Not sure what the doorbell version of an IP camera is, but perhaps such
> exist?
>
> Theo

Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?

<ubu2u0$1i9io$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102207&group=uk.d-i-y#102207

From: fre...@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 23:09:05 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 22:09 UTC

On 20/08/2023 22:21, Theo wrote:
> Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
>> Which is why I asked here :)
>>
>> Having been on a bit of a journey, my main design parameter is no fecking
>> subscriptions.
>>
>> At work I have just ripped out £5,000 worth of annual subscriptions for
>> what boiled down to fuck all, in favour of self hosted FOSS solutions for
>> around £200 a year. The most satisfying being a company that couldn't
>> export *our* data in the way we wanted. Until we cancelled. Then they
>> could.
>
> One suggestion in the comment thread on that article is IP cameras and a
> separate recording mini-PC. Then the storage isn't subject to the camera
> vendors' cloudy ambitions or storage limits.
>
> Not sure what the doorbell version of an IP camera is, but perhaps such
> exist?

One way is to use a standard doorbell with an IP camera using iSpy where
you can use motion detection to trigger a recording.

Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?

<ubvc5e$1rjpt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102231&group=uk.d-i-y#102231

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 10:52:44 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 09:52 UTC

Yes everything will, in the fullness of time be subscription. I can see it
now, the always new shoe concept, Sensors in each shoe will send a signal to
the makers to get your refurbished pair every time they wear a certain
amount.
What about subscription paint? If you do not re subscribe the make your
paint fall off the wall due to liquid crystals in the paint.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Jethro_uk" <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 16:14:51 +0100, Theo wrote:
>
>> Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
>>> May be in the market for a video doorbell.
>>>
>>> Key requirements are nothing requiring a subscription, and the ability
>>> to move video to storage under my control.
>>>
>>> Eufy seem to look likely.
>>
>> Eufy 'don't use the cloud', except when they just do it without telling
>> you:
>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/02/ankers-eufy-admits-problems-
> with-unencrypted-video-access-pledges-overhaul/
>
> Which is why I asked here :)
>
> Having been on a bit of a journey, my main design parameter is no fecking
> subscriptions.
>
> At work I have just ripped out �5,000 worth of annual subscriptions for
> what boiled down to fuck all, in favour of self hosted FOSS solutions for
> around �200 a year. The most satisfying being a company that couldn't
> export *our* data in the way we wanted. Until we cancelled. Then they
> could.

Re: Video doorbells - Eufy ?

<ubvqgp$1u3ja$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102260&group=uk.d-i-y#102260

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 13:57:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GlXV0+ghcLq+TZI0uTgojEfjTks=
 by: Brian - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 13:57 UTC

Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
> May be in the market for a video doorbell.
>
> Key requirements are nothing requiring a subscription, and the ability to
> move video to storage under my control.
>
> Eufy seem to look likely.
>
> So has anyone any experience ? They seem to use SD Cards for initial
> storage. But is it possible to copy files off and clean them up remotely ?

We have both an Eufy doorbell and cameras.

As you say, they don’t need a subscription. The storage for the bell isn’t
removable. Our camera - and the bell- connect to a ‘hub’ which stores the
video for the cameras and also acts as a central connection point when you
access the system from your phone etc.

You can download the videos from there by just selecting the video and then
download. I’d never tried it until a few minutes ago - just to for you 😀-
it is as quick as you could want on an iPad. I assume you could ‘tidy it
up’ but the quality is very good.

I assume you can do it on a PC etc. I don’t use Windows so can’t try it.

You don’t need the Eufy hub for the just a bell. In fact, I think there are
newer cameras which don’t need the Eufy hub. Our system is several years
old.

Overall, I’m very pleased with it. We had one camera replaced under
warranty. Another one failed ( battery I think) out of warranty but the
rest are fine. Ours have a claimed year battery life ( before needing
recharge). I think that is pushing it- at least in places were there is
traffic ( people moving etc). I generally recharge them every 6 mths and
check them before we go away etc. They rarely drop below 70% in 6 mths.
One, near the back door which sees the most traffic ( going into the
garden, accessing the bins etc) drops the most. One which has the slightly
less traffic but has weaker Wi-Fi signal is next.

The App is very good. We ( Senior Management and myself) both have the app
on our phones and I have it one my iPad. It also integrates with Alexa so
you can set up routines to turn on lights, announce if someone is at the
door, on the drive, …..

My daughter also has access if needed.

We find it very good, not just for security. For example, checking if
parcels have been left in the porch when we are away so we can ask a
neighbour to take them in.