new, adj.: Different color from previous model.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Sending photos from Photos

SubjectAuthor
* Sending photos from PhotosTheo
+- Re: Sending photos from PhotosGraeme Wall
+* Re: Sending photos from PhotosJaimie Vandenbergh
|`- Re: Sending photos from PhotosTheo
+- Re: Sending photos from PhotosAndy Hewitt
`* Re: Sending photos from PhotosRJH
 `* Re: Sending photos from PhotosTheo
  +* Re: Sending photos from PhotosRJH
  |+- Re: Sending photos from PhotosGraeme Wall
  |`* Re: Sending photos from PhotosTheo
  | `* Re: Sending photos from PhotosRJH
  |  `- Re: Sending photos from PhotosDavid Kennedy
  `* Re: Sending photos from PhotosBruce Horrocks
   `- Re: Sending photos from PhotosDavid Kennedy

1
Sending photos from Photos

<sXj*VPuWy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10281&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10281

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Sending photos from Photos
Date: 23 Aug 2022 20:25:50 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 19:25 UTC

If someone has some photos imported into Photos on a Mac, what's the
simplest way to send a few of them to somebody else? I think you can select
them and Share... but not sure what the best route is from there. Email is
the obvious, but there are size limits which makes it quite limitng. Is
there any kind of plugin for Photos that will upload them somewhere and
allow somebody else to view them?

The photos don't want to be public, so we aren't talking Instagram etc.
iCloud might be an option, although iCloud sync would be far too much (too
many existing photos and not enough internet bandwidth) - can you
use it without sync?

Any suggestions for other services?

Thanks
Theo

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<te3b1o$32pjs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10282&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10282

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Sending photos from Photos
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 20:50:16 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 19:50 UTC

<https://wetransfer.com> any good for you?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<jmkq67Fj9cnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10283&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10283

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Aug 2022 20:04:23 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 20:04 UTC

On 23 Aug 2022 at 20:25:50 BST, "Theo"
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> If someone has some photos imported into Photos on a Mac, what's the
> simplest way to send a few of them to somebody else? I think you can select
> them and Share... but not sure what the best route is from there. Email is
> the obvious, but there are size limits which makes it quite limitng. Is
> there any kind of plugin for Photos that will upload them somewhere and
> allow somebody else to view them?
>
> The photos don't want to be public, so we aren't talking Instagram etc.
> iCloud might be an option, although iCloud sync would be far too much (too
> many existing photos and not enough internet bandwidth) - can you
> use it without sync?

If you select a too-large bundle of items from Photos and Share as...
email, Mail will offer to send them "using Mail Drop" which actually
uploads them to iCloud and puts a link in the email. Give that a test
run.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203093

Cheers - Jaimie

--
I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. -- Dr. Seuss

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<te3f6r$336o1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10285&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10285

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 21:01:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nvGNgfilq0Skepee6juEcdR7br4=
 by: Andy Hewitt - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 21:01 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> If someone has some photos imported into Photos on a Mac, what's the
> simplest way to send a few of them to somebody else? I think you can select
> them and Share... but not sure what the best route is from there. Email is
> the obvious, but there are size limits which makes it quite limitng. Is
> there any kind of plugin for Photos that will upload them somewhere and
> allow somebody else to view them?
>
> The photos don't want to be public, so we aren't talking Instagram etc.
> iCloud might be an option, although iCloud sync would be far too much (too
> many existing photos and not enough internet bandwidth) - can you
> use it without sync?
>
> Any suggestions for other services?
>
> Thanks
> Theo

Just some additional comments.

As others have mentioned, you can use the ‘share’ menu item, and then
select a preferred method. If the other person is nearby then ‘Airdrop’
works well (I use that a lot here).

Syncing doesn’t work for others, it only works within a single Apple ID
account, although you can share from this, the images are reduced
resolution.

Or you can export them, and use any one of the other cloud sharing systems
that are still available. Although beware that many are being dropped now,
or reducing free storage space, so might not be any better than email.

--
Andy H

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<tXj*tpvWy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10286&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10286

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Aug 2022 23:06:07 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 22:06 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> If you select a too-large bundle of items from Photos and Share as...
> email, Mail will offer to send them "using Mail Drop" which actually
> uploads them to iCloud and puts a link in the email. Give that a test
> run.
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203093

Ah thanks. I heard Google did that for Gmail but wasn't aware it worked for
Mail.app + iCloud. I'll give that a go.

Theo

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<te4eoj$38gjq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10289&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10289

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 05:59:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 05:59 UTC

On 23 Aug 2022 at 20:25:50 BST, Theo wrote:

> iCloud might be an option, although iCloud sync would be far too much (too
> many existing photos and not enough internet bandwidth) - can you
> use it without sync?

Probably too much for this one use, but why not set up iCloud for future use,
backup and access anywhere?

(On the 'too many photos', you can easily set up albums to share within
Photos).

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<rXj*olyWy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10304&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10304

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 24 Aug 2022 12:27:53 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 11:27 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> Probably too much for this one use, but why not set up iCloud for future use,
> backup and access anywhere?
>
> (On the 'too many photos', you can easily set up albums to share within
> Photos).

At 500kbps upload speed I think any cloud sync is going to take a very very
long time...

Theo

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<te54h7$3agg7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10305&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10305

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 12:11:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 12:11 UTC

On 24 Aug 2022 at 12:27:53 BST, Theo wrote:

> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>> Probably too much for this one use, but why not set up iCloud for future use,
>> backup and access anywhere?
>>
>> (On the 'too many photos', you can easily set up albums to share within
>> Photos).
>
> At 500kbps upload speed I think any cloud sync is going to take a very very
> long time...

Good grief. I didn't know that that was still a thing.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<te5cgu$3bb9v$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10308&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10308

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 15:27:42 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:27 UTC

On 24/08/2022 13:11, RJH wrote:
> On 24 Aug 2022 at 12:27:53 BST, Theo wrote:
>
>> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>>> Probably too much for this one use, but why not set up iCloud for future use,
>>> backup and access anywhere?
>>>
>>> (On the 'too many photos', you can easily set up albums to share within
>>> Photos).
>>
>> At 500kbps upload speed I think any cloud sync is going to take a very very
>> long time...
>>

> Good grief. I didn't know that that was still a thing.

Sneakernet?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<qXj*d3yWy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10310&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10310

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 24 Aug 2022 15:34:52 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:34 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 24 Aug 2022 at 12:27:53 BST, Theo wrote:
>
> > RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> >> Probably too much for this one use, but why not set up iCloud for future use,
> >> backup and access anywhere?
> >>
> >> (On the 'too many photos', you can easily set up albums to share within
> >> Photos).
> >
> > At 500kbps upload speed I think any cloud sync is going to take a very very
> > long time...
> >

> Good grief. I didn't know that that was still a thing.

I did a line test... it's max 1.28Mbps upload speed. Better, but that's only
about 13GB per day.

Faster products are available, but why pay for more than classic ADSL if you
don't need it? VDSL would only get about 6Mbps upload anyway.

Theo

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<819bf8fa-3903-3f8c-8def-9f444352edda@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10323&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10323

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 00:01:42 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 23:01 UTC

On 24/08/2022 12:27, Theo wrote:
> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>> Probably too much for this one use, but why not set up iCloud for future use,
>> backup and access anywhere?
>>
>> (On the 'too many photos', you can easily set up albums to share within
>> Photos).
>
> At 500kbps upload speed I think any cloud sync is going to take a very very
> long time...

Only if you sync all photos. Sharing (in Photos) just the ones you want
to share will take the same length of time as sending the same selection
by email. Either way, the photos have to be uploaded by your machine at
some point.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<te6ova$3iic8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10324&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10324

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 03:06:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 03:06 UTC

On 24 Aug 2022 at 15:34:52 BST, Theo wrote:

> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

>>> At 500kbps upload speed I think any cloud sync is going to take a very very
>>> long time...
>>>

>> Good grief. I didn't know that that was still a thing.
>
> I did a line test... it's max 1.28Mbps upload speed. Better, but that's only
> about 13GB per day.

Well, could be worse ;-). I think mine's about 6Mbps. I'd still think about
the iCloud route if I were you. Depending on your library size - it might mean
paying though if you go above the 50GB 'free' limit. IME it's fairly seemless,
and my library (120GB) rebuilt over what seemed like weeks quite seamlessly.

> Faster products are available, but why pay for more than classic ADSL if you
> don't need it? VDSL would only get about 6Mbps upload anyway.

Of course. I don't often need the c.10MB/s download speed of mine but it's
handy when I do. That said I certainly don't need (or want) any faster.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<_32dnd8hsKimlJr-nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10325&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10325

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 06:33:14 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 05:33 UTC

On 25/08/2022 04:06, RJH wrote:

> Well, could be worse ;-). I think mine's about 6Mbps. I'd still think about
> the iCloud route if I were you. Depending on your library size - it might mean
> paying though if you go above the 50GB 'free' limit. IME it's fairly seemless,
> and my library (120GB) rebuilt over what seemed like weeks quite seamlessly.

Agreed.
The whole benefit of icloud is that it happens automatically in the background
so things are available on whatever device you want whenever you want.
The only drawback is the transfer time when you want something on a different
device immediately and, for that you can use air-drop.

Re: Sending photos from Photos

<_32dnd4hsKj2lJr-nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10326&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10326

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 06:34:03 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 05:34 UTC

On 25/08/2022 00:01, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> On 24/08/2022 12:27, Theo wrote:
>> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>>> Probably too much for this one use, but why not set up iCloud for future use,
>>> backup and access anywhere?
>>>
>>> (On the 'too many photos', you can easily set up albums to share within
>>> Photos).
>>
>> At 500kbps upload speed I think any cloud sync is going to take a very very
>> long time...
>
> Only if you sync all photos. Sharing (in Photos) just the ones you want to
> share will take the same length of time as sending the same selection by
> email. Either way, the photos have to be uploaded by your machine at some point.

Set it to sync overnight or when your away for the weekend...