All rights reserved.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

SubjectAuthor
* Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?misterroy
+* Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?Theo
|`* Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?The Natural Philosopher
| +* Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?GB
| |`* Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?The Natural Philosopher
| | `* Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?Paul
| |  `* Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?Paul
| |   `* Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?GB
| |    `- Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?charles
| `- Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?Theo
`- Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?Brian Gaff

1
Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

<2da81087-18bb-4a11-8bd8-3f6350b3ae9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103034&group=uk.d-i-y#103034

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 10:48:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?
From: rgdavid...@gmail.com (misterroy)
 by: misterroy - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 17:48 UTC

The radio 4 one I have been using has gone, do you have updates?
thanks for the previous link

Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

<Ptj*Pi+oz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103037&group=uk.d-i-y#103037

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 30 Aug 2023 19:21:25 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 18:21 UTC

misterroy <rgdavidson@gmail.com> wrote:
> The radio 4 one I have been using has gone, do you have updates?
> thanks for the previous link

http://radiofeeds.co.uk/

usually has them.

Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

<ucpf6r$35bd5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103054&group=uk.d-i-y#103054

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 08:24:11 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 07:24 UTC

On 30/08/2023 19:21, Theo wrote:
> misterroy <rgdavidson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The radio 4 one I have been using has gone, do you have updates?
>> thanks for the previous link
>
> http://radiofeeds.co.uk/
>
> usually has them.
None of the links work any more. That's where I got them from originally.

The idea seems to be that if you want to listen to any radio today you
have to buy either DAB or a brand new internet radio, or go via
someone's streaming service. Like E-books, they are so hard to use that
no one is.

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

<ucpm93$36bmq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103063&group=uk.d-i-y#103063

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:24:52 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:24 UTC

> On 30/08/2023 19:21, Theo wrote:
>> misterroy <rgdavidson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The radio 4 one I have been using has gone, do you have updates?
>>> thanks for the previous link
>>
>> http://radiofeeds.co.uk/
>>
>> usually has them.
> None of the links work any more. That's where I got them from originally.
>
> The idea seems to be that if you want to listen to any radio today you
> have to buy either DAB or a brand new internet radio, or go via
> someone's streaming service. Like E-books, they are so hard to use  that
> no one is.

Or, buy an Alexa Dot for £15?

Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

<ucpol7$36n92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103066&group=uk.d-i-y#103066

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 11:05:27 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:05 UTC

On 31/08/2023 10:24, GB wrote:
> On 31/08/2023 08:24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>
>>> http://radiofeeds.co.uk/
>>>
>>> usually has them.
>> None of the links work any more. That's where I got them from originally.
>>
>> The idea seems to be that if you want to listen to any radio today you
>> have to buy either DAB or a brand new internet radio, or go via
>> someone's streaming service. Like E-books, they are so hard to use
>> that no one is.
>>

> Or, buy an Alexa Dot for £15?

Can that feed Hi Fi to a couple of thousand pounds of loudpeaker?

its shoes.

Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

<ucpq8o$37pg5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103068&group=uk.d-i-y#103068

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 06:32:55 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:32 UTC

On 8/31/2023 6:05 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 31/08/2023 10:24, GB wrote:

>>> None of the links work any more. That's where I got them from originally.
>>>
>>> The idea seems to be that if you want to listen to any radio today you have to buy either DAB or a brand new internet radio, or go via someone's streaming service. Like E-books, they are so hard to use  that no one is.
>>>

>> Or, buy an Alexa Dot for £15?
>
> Can that feed Hi Fi to a couple of thousand pounds of loudpeaker?

All it's got, is a Line Out.

https://spinditty.com/instruments-gear/How-to-Connect-the-Echo-Dot-to-External-Speakers

There is I2S inside. Because there are multiple versions of the Dot,
naturally every adventure is different. A later version, the onboard
device is I2S in (to internal DAC) followed by a ClassD amp for the Dot speaker.

"Hi-Fi Digital Audio from the Echo Dot"

https://hackaday.io/project/28109/logs?sort=oldest

Some I2S DACs (maybe a Wolfsen), have high impedance outputs,
and that's why a good opamp goes after the DAC, for buffering
into real devices. You can't drive 10K ohm inputs on a receiver,
with some of the DACs directly. The DACs in that case, are
around 1 megohm out. There is a small pool of enthusiasts who
drool over stuff like this (messing around with every DAC they can find).

Naturally, it's garbage in garbage out, and if the content feeding
the device is poor, the output would be poor no matter what you do.

Paul

Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

<ucpr18$38lum$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103069&group=uk.d-i-y#103069

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 06:46:00 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:46 UTC

On 8/31/2023 6:32 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 8/31/2023 6:05 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> Or, buy an Alexa Dot for £15?
>>
>> Can that feed Hi Fi to a couple of thousand pounds of loudpeaker?
>>

> All it's got, is a Line Out.

Not on version 5 apparently.

https://www.briandorey.com/post/echo-dot-5th-gen-smart-speaker-teardown

"On the rear, a power input socket. The previous version had a
headphone/audio out 3.5mm stereo socket, but it has been removed
for the 5th generation model."

It has toys on it, but perhaps, not hi fidelity toys.
I think it has a Bluetooth, and getting quality from Bluetooth
is basically hopeless. The two ends never do what you'd like them to do.

Paul

Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

<ucprkv$38p8a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103070&group=uk.d-i-y#103070

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 11:56:33 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:56 UTC

On 31/08/2023 11:46, Paul wrote:
> On 8/31/2023 6:32 AM, Paul wrote:

>>> Can that feed Hi Fi to a couple of thousand pounds of loudpeaker?
>>>

>> All it's got, is a Line Out.
>>
> Not on version 5 apparently.
>
> https://www.briandorey.com/post/echo-dot-5th-gen-smart-speaker-teardown
>
> "On the rear, a power input socket. The previous version had a
> headphone/audio out 3.5mm stereo socket, but it has been removed
> for the 5th generation model."
>
> It has toys on it, but perhaps, not hi fidelity toys.
> I think it has a Bluetooth, and getting quality from Bluetooth
> is basically hopeless. The two ends never do what you'd like them to do.

I'm perfectly happy with the Bluetooth output on mine, but my speakers
cost only a small fraction of £2k. (That left me lots of money to buy
gold-plated mains sockets, which is where quality matters.)

I am a bit confused, anyway, because DAB is mentioned. I thought that's
okay quality for ordinary folk like me, but the hi fi buffs are not happy?

> Paul

Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

<Qtj*-1bpz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103071&group=uk.d-i-y#103071

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 31 Aug 2023 12:14:06 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 11:14 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 30/08/2023 19:21, Theo wrote:
> > misterroy <rgdavidson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The radio 4 one I have been using has gone, do you have updates?
> >> thanks for the previous link
> >
> > http://radiofeeds.co.uk/
> >
> > usually has them.
> None of the links work any more. That's where I got them from originally.
>
> The idea seems to be that if you want to listen to any radio today you
> have to buy either DAB or a brand new internet radio, or go via
> someone's streaming service. Like E-books, they are so hard to use that
> no one is.

Looking at them in a browser's developer tools, it appears Absolute have a
timestamp in the URL.

https://stream-ar.planetradio.co.uk/absoluteradiohigh.aac?direct=true&listenerid=undefined&aw_0_1st.bauer_listenerid=undefined&aw_0_1st.playerid=BMUK_html5&aw_0_1st.skey=1693479597&aw_0_1st.bauer_loggedin=false

works, but if I trim out the &aw_0_1st.skey=1693479597
it doesn't. That number is Unix time for "Thu Aug 31 2023 10:59:57 GMT+0000"
So I can't tell it to play, I have to tell it to play from a specific time
(and it probably won't go back too far in the past)

There is also a tracking ID in the URL, but it works if I snip that (I did
above).

For Radio4, the URL is:
https://as-dash-uk-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/uk/bbc_radio_fourfm/bbc_radio_fourfm.isml/dash/bbc_radio_fourfm-audio=320000.dash
but this just loads fragments of audio like:
https://as-dash-uk-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/uk/bbc_radio_fourfm/bbc_radio_fourfm.isml/dash/bbc_radio_fourfm-audio=320000-264606137.m4s

So it looks like there isn't a single file that is 'play audio starting from
now', it's all controlled by the Javascript on the web page.

At least, that's how the web pages do it. There may be other ways.

Theo

Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

<5adc876481charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103074&group=uk.d-i-y#103074

Path: i2pn2.org!rocksolid2!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!1.us.feeder.erje.net!3.us.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder3.usenet.farm!feeder4.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!news.usenet.farm
From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 23 12:00:03 UTC
 by: charles - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 12:00 UTC

In article <ucprkv$38p8a$1@dont-email.me>,
GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
> On 31/08/2023 11:46, Paul wrote:

> >> All it's got, is a Line Out.
> >>
> > Not on version 5 apparently.
> >
> > https://www.briandorey.com/post/echo-dot-5th-gen-smart-speaker-teardown
> >
> > "On the rear, a power input socket. The previous version had a
> > headphone/audio out 3.5mm stereo socket, but it has been removed
> > for the 5th generation model."
> >
> > It has toys on it, but perhaps, not hi fidelity toys.
> > I think it has a Bluetooth, and getting quality from Bluetooth
> > is basically hopeless. The two ends never do what you'd like them to do.

> I'm perfectly happy with the Bluetooth output on mine, but my speakers
> cost only a small fraction of £2k. (That left me lots of money to buy
> gold-plated mains sockets, which is where quality matters.)

and, if you believe a review in a 'hi-fi' magazine about 30 years ago, they
improve stereo separation - so there.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Natural Philosopher update BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS?

<ucsckg$3nv79$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103121&group=uk.d-i-y#103121

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 10:58:36 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 09:58 UTC

I simply do not understand the mentality of this messing about interminable
with streams. I notice I can only stream world servvice now unless I invoke
a smart speaker. I use a skill on Amazon called radio player. Ask radio
player to play station. This seems to bypass that annoying bbc sounds
jingle, Same goes for stations on Tune in which now runs ads before you
start to listen otherwise.
Absolute have their own skill and a lot of the commercial stations are
offering special pay to listen subscription offers that remove the adverts
and play music instead. Honestly they will monitories breathing before long.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...