I think I am an overnight sensation right now!!

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

SubjectAuthor
* Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?nothanks
+* Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?peasmould
|+* Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?nothanks
||`- Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?peasmould
|`* Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?Brian Gaff
| `- Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?John Rumm
+- Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?John Rumm
`* Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?RJH
 +- Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?nothanks
 `* Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?nothanks
  `- Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?RJH

1
Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

<kl39fiF1qlbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102830&group=uk.d-i-y#102830

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:59:15 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 09:59 UTC

I'm in the mood for a new Mak 18V jig saw to replace a 230V PPro and
can't decide between the DJV185 and the DJV181. The 185 is smaller and
has a slightly shorter stroke than the 181 but otherwise I can't see any
major differences. Do we have an owner here of either?

Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

<uci33n$1mfkv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102835&group=uk.d-i-y#102835

From: gruntfut...@here.org (peasmould)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:14:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: peasmould - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:14 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:59:15 +0100, nothanks wrote:

> DJV185 and the DJV181

I’m finally getting a good jigsaw, was about to get the DJV181 brushless
barrel grip when I found there is a new barrel grip coming out, the
DJV185. The 185 looks smaller, but from the specs at Makita.nz it appears
to be the same weight and a little louder.

Is there any reason to wait for the 185? Seems like maybe it’s for tighter
curves, which would be a big plus for me, but I’m not sure. Has anyone
gotten their hands on it and can share some experience?

Answer

Well I have the 181 and the only thing I'm not crazy about with it is how
it always does soft start. It's not a big deal but I know other brands
give you the option of soft start or not. Other than that I love that
jigsaw and I use it everyday.

I will say the tighter curves will be dependent on your blade. You can buy
"scroll" blades for the jigsaw. They are less than half of the width of a
regular blade and have a tight turning radius. But the catch is they can
break easier.

Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

<kl3hulF39kaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102836&group=uk.d-i-y#102836

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 13:23:50 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:23 UTC

On 28/08/2023 13:14, peasmould wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:59:15 +0100, nothanks wrote:
>
>> DJV185 and the DJV181
>
> I’m finally getting a good jigsaw, was about to get the DJV181 brushless
> barrel grip when I found there is a new barrel grip coming out, the
> DJV185. The 185 looks smaller, but from the specs at Makita.nz it appears
> to be the same weight and a little louder.
>
> Is there any reason to wait for the 185? Seems like maybe it’s for tighter
> curves, which would be a big plus for me, but I’m not sure. Has anyone
> gotten their hands on it and can share some experience?
>
> Answer
>
> Well I have the 181 and the only thing I'm not crazy about with it is how
> it always does soft start. It's not a big deal but I know other brands
> give you the option of soft start or not. Other than that I love that
> jigsaw and I use it everyday.
>
> I will say the tighter curves will be dependent on your blade. You can buy
> "scroll" blades for the jigsaw. They are less than half of the width of a
> regular blade and have a tight turning radius. But the catch is they can
> break easier.
Well, you cut all of my question and pasted a quote from a discussion on
Reddit, started by "dasherado" (is that you?) which, later, says that
soft-start can be disabled.

Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

<uci4r3$1mr37$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102841&group=uk.d-i-y#102841

From: gruntfut...@here.org (peasmould)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:44:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: peasmould - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:44 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 13:23:50 +0100, nothanks wrote:

> On 28/08/2023 13:14, peasmould wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:59:15 +0100, nothanks wrote:
>>
>>> DJV185 and the DJV181
>>
>> I’m finally getting a good jigsaw, was about to get the DJV181
>> brushless barrel grip when I found there is a new barrel grip coming
>> out, the DJV185. The 185 looks smaller, but from the specs at Makita.nz
>> it appears to be the same weight and a little louder.
>>
>> Is there any reason to wait for the 185? Seems like maybe it’s for
>> tighter curves, which would be a big plus for me, but I’m not sure. Has
>> anyone gotten their hands on it and can share some experience?
>>
>> Answer
>>
>> Well I have the 181 and the only thing I'm not crazy about with it is
>> how it always does soft start. It's not a big deal but I know other
>> brands give you the option of soft start or not. Other than that I love
>> that jigsaw and I use it everyday.
>>
>> I will say the tighter curves will be dependent on your blade. You can
>> buy "scroll" blades for the jigsaw. They are less than half of the
>> width of a regular blade and have a tight turning radius. But the catch
>> is they can break easier.
> Well, you cut all of my question and pasted a quote from a discussion on
> Reddit, started by "dasherado" (is that you?) which, later, says that
> soft-start can be disabled.

You cant pick and choose who answers your already answered questions.

Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

<ucibmg$1o3qd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102857&group=uk.d-i-y#102857

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 15:41:18 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:41 UTC

On 28/08/2023 10:59, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:

> I'm in the mood for a new Mak 18V jig saw to replace a 230V PPro and
> can't decide between the DJV185 and the DJV181. The 185 is smaller and
> has a slightly shorter stroke than the 181 but otherwise I can't see any
> major differences. Do we have an owner here of either?

I have not tried either, although I have been using a Makita 4340 mains
powered jigsaw for quite a few years. It is *very* good, and a startling
improvement on "normal" jigsaws. Incredibly smooth, low vibration, and
with pendulum action on level three will cut at a ferocious rate (e.g.
cross cut a 8x2" in about 5 secs). Also solid accurate base plate, with
non marring cover. Decent blade support, so straight and accurate cutting.

I am tempted from time to time to add a cordless version to my
collection, and since I have a top handled one, would add a barrel body
grip model to extend the available choice.

Looking at the two you cite, both look fine, although I will admit I
prefer the look of the 181. I also note that the 181 has a dust blower,
which the 185 may not if the specs I have read are correct.

However on the plus side I have seen the 185 for £50 less than the 181!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

<uckccd$26cjc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102901&group=uk.d-i-y#102901

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 09:05:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 09:05 UTC

On 28 Aug 2023 at 10:59:15 BST, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:

> I'm in the mood for a new Mak 18V jig saw to replace a 230V PPro and
> can't decide between the DJV185 and the DJV181. The 185 is smaller and
> has a slightly shorter stroke than the 181 but otherwise I can't see any
> major differences. Do we have an owner here of either?

On my things to buy list too. I can't see much difference - the 181 has
explicit dust extraction features, the 185 doesn't mention dust except photos
on retail sites show an extraction pipe. The 181 is a lot quieter, goes
faster, and has 2 lights.

So I think come the time I'll get the 181, even though it's a few quid more.

I do find Makita's model naming confusing. I'd have thought a higher number
would mean better, but oh no, that'd be too simple :-)
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

<kl60q8Fh5g1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102922&group=uk.d-i-y#102922

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 11:49:45 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 10:49 UTC

On 29/08/2023 10:05, RJH wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2023 at 10:59:15 BST, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>
>> I'm in the mood for a new Mak 18V jig saw to replace a 230V PPro and
>> can't decide between the DJV185 and the DJV181. The 185 is smaller and
>> has a slightly shorter stroke than the 181 but otherwise I can't see any
>> major differences. Do we have an owner here of either?
>
> On my things to buy list too. I can't see much difference - the 181 has
> explicit dust extraction features, the 185 doesn't mention dust except photos
> on retail sites show an extraction pipe. The 181 is a lot quieter, goes
> faster, and has 2 lights.
>
> So I think come the time I'll get the 181, even though it's a few quid more.
>
> I do find Makita's model naming confusing. I'd have thought a higher number
> would mean better, but oh no, that'd be too simple :-)
I've looked at them in the flesh now. The 185 fits my hand better (I
have average hands) than the 181 and the controls seem to be in a better
place. The sole plates are identical. I'm leaning towards the 185 but am
trying to decide whether the shorter stroke is important ...

Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

<uckldp$285ld$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102925&group=uk.d-i-y#102925

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:39:36 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 11:39 UTC

I think the soft start is to reduce peak current at start up, so one would
imagine the non soft start ones might have a shorter life motor or
whatever.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"peasmould" <gruntfuttock@here.org> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:59:15 +0100, nothanks wrote:
>
>> DJV185 and the DJV181
>
> I'm finally getting a good jigsaw, was about to get the DJV181 brushless
> barrel grip when I found there is a new barrel grip coming out, the
> DJV185. The 185 looks smaller, but from the specs at Makita.nz it appears
> to be the same weight and a little louder.
>
> Is there any reason to wait for the 185? Seems like maybe it's for tighter
> curves, which would be a big plus for me, but I'm not sure. Has anyone
> gotten their hands on it and can share some experience?
>
> Answer
>
> Well I have the 181 and the only thing I'm not crazy about with it is how
> it always does soft start. It's not a big deal but I know other brands
> give you the option of soft start or not. Other than that I love that
> jigsaw and I use it everyday.
>
> I will say the tighter curves will be dependent on your blade. You can buy
> "scroll" blades for the jigsaw. They are less than half of the width of a
> regular blade and have a tight turning radius. But the catch is they can
> break easier.

Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

<uckm1e$287vj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102928&group=uk.d-i-y#102928

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:50:06 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 11:50 UTC

On 29/08/2023 12:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I think the soft start is to reduce peak current at start up, so one would
> imagine the non soft start ones might have a shorter life motor or
> whatever.

The soft start is mainly to reduce the physical "jolt" on startup - so
less operator fatigue, and it won't shift the position of the tool if
you have it carefully lined up for a cut.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

<kldp8rFokhhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103117&group=uk.d-i-y#103117

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 10:30:04 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 09:30 UTC

On 29/08/2023 10:05, RJH wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2023 at 10:59:15 BST, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>
>> I'm in the mood for a new Mak 18V jig saw to replace a 230V PPro and
>> can't decide between the DJV185 and the DJV181. The 185 is smaller and
>> has a slightly shorter stroke than the 181 but otherwise I can't see any
>> major differences. Do we have an owner here of either?
>
> On my things to buy list too. I can't see much difference - the 181 has
> explicit dust extraction features, the 185 doesn't mention dust except photos
> on retail sites show an extraction pipe. The 181 is a lot quieter, goes
> faster, and has 2 lights.
>
> So I think come the time I'll get the 181, even though it's a few quid more.
>
> I do find Makita's model naming confusing. I'd have thought a higher number
> would mean better, but oh no, that'd be too simple :-)
I decided on a DJV185 and I'm very pleased with it so far. The light is
good (and can be dimmed, but why?), the soft start that some people moan
about can be easily disabled, the blade attachment seems good, and it
has dust extraction. It fits the hand well and has a solid feel
(whatever that means, but much nicer than the PPro corded jig saw that
it's replacing) and the controls are easy to reach. FWIW the cheapest
supplier at the moment seems to be Powertoolworld.

Re: Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?

<ucsdl8$3o4jb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103125&group=uk.d-i-y#103125

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 10:16:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 10:16 UTC

On 1 Sep 2023 at 10:30:04 BST, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:

> On 29/08/2023 10:05, RJH wrote:
>> On 28 Aug 2023 at 10:59:15 BST, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>
>>> I'm in the mood for a new Mak 18V jig saw to replace a 230V PPro and
>>> can't decide between the DJV185 and the DJV181. The 185 is smaller and
>>> has a slightly shorter stroke than the 181 but otherwise I can't see any
>>> major differences. Do we have an owner here of either?
>>
>> On my things to buy list too. I can't see much difference - the 181 has
>> explicit dust extraction features, the 185 doesn't mention dust except photos
>> on retail sites show an extraction pipe. The 181 is a lot quieter, goes
>> faster, and has 2 lights.
>>
>> So I think come the time I'll get the 181, even though it's a few quid more.
>>
>> I do find Makita's model naming confusing. I'd have thought a higher number
>> would mean better, but oh no, that'd be too simple :-)
> I decided on a DJV185 and I'm very pleased with it so far. The light is
> good (and can be dimmed, but why?), the soft start that some people moan
> about can be easily disabled, the blade attachment seems good, and it
> has dust extraction. It fits the hand well and has a solid feel
> (whatever that means, but much nicer than the PPro corded jig saw that
> it's replacing) and the controls are easy to reach. FWIW the cheapest
> supplier at the moment seems to be Powertoolworld.

Many thanks - I'll bear in mind come the time. I'm still on my 12 year old
Lidl 18V circular and jig saw, but as soon as the batteries go I'll move over
to Makitas . . .

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK