A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats. -- Ben Franklin

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

SubjectAuthor
* Google, I assume this is genuine?Brian Gaff
+* Google, I assume this is genuine?Mark P. Nelson
|`* Google, I assume this is genuine?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
| `* Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|  +* Google, I assume this is genuine?Tone
|  |+- Google, I assume this is genuine?Peter
|  |+- Google, I assume this is genuine?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|  |`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|  `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|   +- Google, I assume this is genuine?Tease'n'Seize
|   +- Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|   `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Adrian
|    +* Google, I assume this is genuine?Tim+
|    |+* Google, I assume this is genuine?Adrian
|    ||`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Don Stockbauer
|    |`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|    +* Google, I assume this is genuine?RustyHinge
|    |`* Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|    | +* Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|    | |`* Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|    | | +- Google, I assume this is genuine?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|    | | +* Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|    | | |`* Google, I assume this is genuine?RustyHinge
|    | | | +* Google, I assume this is genuine?RustyHinge
|    | | | |`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|    | | | `* Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|    | | |  `- Google, I assume this is genuine?Tim+
|    | | `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Kerr-Mudd, John
|    | |  `- Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|    | `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Mike Fleming
|    |  +* Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|    |  |`* Google, I assume this is genuine?RustyHinge
|    |  | `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|    |  |  +* Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|    |  |  |+* Google, I assume this is genuine?RustyHinge
|    |  |  ||`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Mike Fleming
|    |  |  |`- Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|    |  |  `- Google, I assume this is genuine?maus
|    |  `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Brian D
|    |   +- Google, I assume this is genuine?Don Stockbauer
|    |   `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|    |    `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Richard Robinson
|    |     `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Kerr-Mudd, John
|    |      `- Google, I assume this is genuine?ChrisND@privacy.net
|    `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
|     `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Nicholas D. Richards
|      `- Google, I assume this is genuine?Sam Plusnet
+* Google, I assume this is genuine?Chris Elvidge
|`* Google, I assume this is genuine?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
| `* Google, I assume this is genuine?Tease'n'Seize
|  `- Google, I assume this is genuine?Don Stockbauer
`* Google, I assume this is genuine?Tease'n'Seize
 `- Google, I assume this is genuine?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)

Pages:123
Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<slrnt6tqfu.d5v.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10109&group=uk.rec.sheds#10109

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?
Date: 1 May 2022 20:13:50 GMT
 by: maus - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:13 UTC

On 2022-05-01, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 30-Apr-22 23:01, RustyHinge wrote:
>

> Central Electricity Generating Board - it died in the 1990s.
>
> Isn't there a saying that we are only three meals away from utter
> anarchy and mob violence?

Hopefully. People should not just lie down and die. In France, they head for
the barricades just as they did in 1789.

I remember back in some crises back years ago, Some UK minister advised
people to share showers. I am waiting for such a suggestion now.

Anyway, have ye not a clamp of potatoes near the back door :)

--
greymausg@mail.com
It is I, alone, who can tell you.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<lImGqFBTxwbiFA$g@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10111&group=uk.rec.sheds#10111

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 23:40:19 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 1 May 2022 22:40 UTC

In article <_AAbK.444732$Lc1.273528@fx12.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<not@home.com> on Sun, 1 May 2022 at 19:47:22 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 30-Apr-22 22:07, Adrian wrote:
>> In message <PQHM8hAUCYbiFAaW@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
>> <nicholas@salmiron.com> writes
>>> In the UK, AFAIK, 3 phase is delivered to the domestic street level.
>>> Roughly a third of the properties receive one or other of the phases so
>>> that the draw is roughly equal across each phase.
>>>

>> The last time I looked, I was in the UK.
>>
>> Judging by what happens when we have a power cut, the whole street (~28
>> houses, largely molished in 1939) is on the same phase.   Looking out of
>> the windows when the power is off, properties on nay boring streets are
>> on a variety of phases.
>
>If one phase cut out, that would so imbalance the other two phases that
>the nearest substation upstream would trip & hence all three phases
>would go out.

During one of the power cuts the very nice lady from UK Power Networks
explained to me that the reason I had no power but my neighbours did
have power was that my phase had cut out, leaving the other 2
unaffected.

On two other occasions I have received SMS messages saying that one
phase was out, if we still had power it was unlikely that we would lose
power and if we did it would be momentarily.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<jd9tr3FofdfU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10131&group=uk.rec.sheds#10131

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 12:32:50 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Mon, 2 May 2022 11:32 UTC

On 01/05/2022 19:56, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 30-Apr-22 23:01, RustyHinge wrote:
>
>> Many moons ago we had a power cut, and after not very long my
>> next-door neighbour knocked on the door: "Tony, are you on a different
>> supply from us? Your house is a blaze of light..."
>>
>> I had, in those days, an array of paraffin lamps - many of them
>> Aladdins with a big mantle. And paraffin in those days was 2s a galleon.
>>
>> Now it's the same-ish cevpr as petrol.
>>
>> You'd hear my genny going, nowadays innit.
>>
> Back in the 1970s, three-day-week etc. there were lots of power-cuts.
> The wife of a co-jbexer had a wbo with the CEGB.
> They had thought ahead and bought a small generator.

My dad thought ahead and bought a battery-powered telly. "I'm not
missing Doctor Who for anything" he said as he carried it in.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<slrnt6vusd.aa5.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10144&group=uk.rec.sheds#10144

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 2 May 2022 15:41:01 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 2 May 2022 15:41 UTC

On 2022-05-02, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 19:56, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 30-Apr-22 23:01, RustyHinge wrote:
>>
>>> Many moons ago we had a power cut, and after not very long my
>>> next-door neighbour knocked on the door: "Tony, are you on a different
>>> supply from us? Your house is a blaze of light..."
>>>
>>> I had, in those days, an array of paraffin lamps - many of them
>>> Aladdins with a big mantle. And paraffin in those days was 2s a galleon.
>>>
>>> Now it's the same-ish cevpr as petrol.
>>>
>>> You'd hear my genny going, nowadays innit.
>>>
>> Back in the 1970s, three-day-week etc. there were lots of power-cuts.
>> The wife of a co-jbexer had a wbo with the CEGB.
>> They had thought ahead and bought a small generator.
>
> My dad thought ahead and bought a battery-powered telly. "I'm not
> missing Doctor Who for anything" he said as he carried it in.

My last telly, with batteries to power it, would need at least two to
lift it.

--
greymausg@mail.com
It is I, alone, who can tell you.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<t4p73e$51q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10154&group=uk.rec.sheds#10154

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 19:15:09 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 2 May 2022 18:15 UTC

On 02/05/2022 16:41, maus wrote:
> On 2022-05-02, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Back in the 1970s, three-day-week etc. there were lots of power-cuts.
>>> The wife of a co-jbexer had a wbo with the CEGB.
>>> They had thought ahead and bought a small generator.
>>
>> My dad thought ahead and bought a battery-powered telly. "I'm not
>> missing Doctor Who for anything" he said as he carried it in.
>
> My last telly, with batteries to power it, would need at least two to
> lift it.

My (maternal) Grandmother's telly was ohled when tellies became
available (pre-whoar) and she still possessed it and it was still in use
when she died in the 1970s. (9" crt in a tall walnut veneered console
and with a speaker biggerer than man of today's hi-fi offerings.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<uaUkOdBF8CciFAGc@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10158&group=uk.rec.sheds#10158

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 20:20:37 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Mon, 2 May 2022 19:20 UTC

In article <t4p73e$51q$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.
girolle.co.uk> on Mon, 2 May 2022 at 19:15:09 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 02/05/2022 16:41, maus wrote:

>>> My dad thought ahead and bought a battery-powered telly. "I'm not
>>> missing Doctor Who for anything" he said as he carried it in.
>>
>> My last telly, with batteries to power it, would need at least two to
>> lift it.
>
>My (maternal) Grandmother's telly was ohled when tellies became
>available (pre-whoar) and she still possessed it and it was still in use
>when she died in the 1970s. (9" crt in a tall walnut veneered console
>and with a speaker biggerer than man of today's hi-fi offerings.

We did not have a telly at home until I was 20 in 1968. The first thing
I saw on that television was the astronauts reading the beginning of the
Book of Genesis.

I used to sneak round to a neighbour had a very similar television to
the one that your grandmother had. Walnut varnished cabinet and
loudspeaker that was bigger than I was, clearly made by a cabinet maker.
I do not when they bought it, this was in Manchester, so probably not
pre-war. The screen was much bigger than 9" however it was back
projection, reflected via a mirror from a small CRT deep in the cabinet.
I saw what it was like inside when I was there when the repair man was
at work. I was told never to stand behind the cabinet as the CRT leaked
radiation.

One grandmother had bought her television for the coronation and it was
small plastic and ugly as they come. My other grandmother never had a
television or radio! She died in 1981.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<awWbK.88666$3b1.84675@fx14.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10160&group=uk.rec.sheds#10160

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 20:44:06 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 2 May 2022 19:44 UTC

On 01-May-22 21:13, maus wrote:
> On 2022-05-01, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>> On 30-Apr-22 23:01, RustyHinge wrote:
>>

>> Central Electricity Generating Board - it died in the 1990s.
>>
>> Isn't there a saying that we are only three meals away from utter
>> anarchy and mob violence?
>>

> Hopefully. People should not just lie down and die. In France, they head for
> the barricades just as they did in 1789.
>
> I remember back in some crises back years ago, Some UK minister advised
> people to share showers. I am waiting for such a suggestion now.
>
> Anyway, have ye not a clamp of potatoes near the back door :)

'Tis cars that get clamped these days.

When we grow potatoes, the 'crop' sometimes weighs less than the seed
potatoes we planted.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<tCWbK.120189$sMg.62565@fx06.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10161&group=uk.rec.sheds#10161

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 20:50:49 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 2 May 2022 19:50 UTC

On 02-May-22 20:20, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> One grandmother had bought her television for the coronation and it was
> small plastic and ugly as they come.

My parents[1] got their first TV at around the same time I arrived - so
a fair length of time before the coronation.

My earliest recollection (could be a phantom unforgettery) is of half
the neighbours on our street crammed into our front room to watch QEII
get oil dribbled on her bonce.

[1] Dad really.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<aFWbK.120190$sMg.113475@fx06.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10162&group=uk.rec.sheds#10162

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 20:53:41 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 2 May 2022 19:53 UTC

On 01-May-22 23:40, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <_AAbK.444732$Lc1.273528@fx12.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
> <not@home.com> on Sun, 1 May 2022 at 19:47:22 awoke Nicholas from his
> slumbers and wrote
>> On 30-Apr-22 22:07, Adrian wrote:
>>> In message <PQHM8hAUCYbiFAaW@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
>>> <nicholas@salmiron.com> writes
>>>>

>>> The last time I looked, I was in the UK.
>>>
>>> Judging by what happens when we have a power cut, the whole street (~28
>>> houses, largely molished in 1939) is on the same phase.   Looking out of
>>> the windows when the power is off, properties on nay boring streets are
>>> on a variety of phases.
>>
>> If one phase cut out, that would so imbalance the other two phases that
>> the nearest substation upstream would trip & hence all three phases
>> would go out.
>>
> During one of the power cuts the very nice lady from UK Power Networks
> explained to me that the reason I had no power but my neighbours did
> have power was that my phase had cut out, leaving the other 2
> unaffected.
>
> On two other occasions I have received SMS messages saying that one
> phase was out, if we still had power it was unlikely that we would lose
> power and if we did it would be momentarily.

All the switching gear I jbexed upon would have thrown their hand in
that situation. It must be that different rules apply @ 11kV and 440V.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<t4penk$c1h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10166&group=uk.rec.sheds#10166

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 21:25:23 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 2 May 2022 20:25 UTC

On 02/05/2022 20:50, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 02-May-22 20:20, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> One grandmother had bought her television for the coronation and it was
>> small plastic and ugly as they come.
>
> My parents[1] got their first TV at around the same time I arrived - so
> a fair length of time before the coronation.

We got our first TV when I was sixteen, by which time I had better
things to do than tha watch Robin Hood -

Robin Hood, Robin Hood,
Riding through the house,
Robin Hood, Robin Hood
On his clockwork mouse:
Feared by the BBC,
Loved by the ITV,
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood.

or Crane and other stuff like that

> My earliest recollection (could be a phantom unforgettery) is of half
> the neighbours on our street crammed into our front room to watch QEII
> get oil dribbled on her bonce.

I have one fond memory, of one of my mother's cats sitting a couple of
feet in front of the screen watching snooker. His head moved to watch
the balls' progress, but he never tried to catch them (that I saw).

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<slrnt70hio.dag.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10168&group=uk.rec.sheds#10168

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 2 May 2022 21:00:09 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 2 May 2022 21:00 UTC

On 2022-05-02, Nicholas D. Richards <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:

>>My (maternal) Grandmother's telly was ohled when tellies became
>>available (pre-whoar) and she still possessed it and it was still in use
>>when she died in the 1970s. (9" crt in a tall walnut veneered console
>>and with a speaker biggerer than man of today's hi-fi offerings.
>>
> We did not have a telly at home until I was 20 in 1968. The first thing
> I saw on that television was the astronauts reading the beginning of the
> Book of Genesis.
>
> I used to sneak round to a neighbour had a very similar television to
> the one that your grandmother had. Walnut varnished cabinet and
> loudspeaker that was bigger than I was, clearly made by a cabinet maker.
> I do not when they bought it, this was in Manchester, so probably not
> pre-war. The screen was much bigger than 9" however it was back
> projection, reflected via a mirror from a small CRT deep in the cabinet.
> I saw what it was like inside when I was there when the repair man was
> at work. I was told never to stand behind the cabinet as the CRT leaked
> radiation.
>
> One grandmother had bought her television for the coronation and it was
> small plastic and ugly as they come. My other grandmother never had a
> television or radio! She died in 1981.

The Church here, (.ie) opposed Television until 1961 because they were
afraid that it would change the country's attitudes. When it was
eventually allowed, thank $Deity, it did.

--
greymausg@mail.com
It is I, alone, who can tell you.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<20220502214209.96435b57b5915d7879242c95@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10169&group=uk.rec.sheds#10169

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 21:42:09 +0100
<slrnt6tqfu.d5v.maus@dmaus.org>
<awWbK.88666$3b1.84675@fx14.ams1>
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Mon, 2 May 2022 20:42 UTC

On Mon, 2 May 2022 20:44:06 +0100
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> When we grow potatoes, the 'crop' sometimes weighs less than the seed
> potatoes we planted.

The last time I grew potatoes I planted eight second earlies about
this time of year and was still pulling perfect spuds out of the ground in
November.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<slrnt70hsl.dag.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10170&group=uk.rec.sheds#10170

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 2 May 2022 21:05:25 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 2 May 2022 21:05 UTC

On 2022-05-02, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 01-May-22 21:13, maus wrote:
>> On 2022-05-01, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>>> On 30-Apr-22 23:01, RustyHinge wrote:
>>>

>>> Central Electricity Generating Board - it died in the 1990s.
>>>
>>> Isn't there a saying that we are only three meals away from utter
>>> anarchy and mob violence?
>>>

>> Hopefully. People should not just lie down and die. In France, they head for
>> the barricades just as they did in 1789.
>>
>> I remember back in some crises back years ago, Some UK minister advised
>> people to share showers. I am waiting for such a suggestion now.
>>
>> Anyway, have ye not a clamp of potatoes near the back door :)
>>

> 'Tis cars that get clamped these days.
>
> When we grow potatoes, the 'crop' sometimes weighs less than the seed
> potatoes we planted.

Never sow potatoes where they grown within the last 8 years.
Brassicas within the last five.

Against that, someone told me of an abandoned (by people) scots Island,
where the potatoes have regrown on the same plot since. Kinda sad.
Forget the name of the Island.

--
greymausg@mail.com
It is I, alone, who can tell you.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<20220502225105.061dea6b27c3a0c45fc86184@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10173&group=uk.rec.sheds#10173

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 22:51:05 +0100
<slrnt6tqfu.d5v.maus@dmaus.org>
<awWbK.88666$3b1.84675@fx14.ams1>
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Mon, 2 May 2022 21:51 UTC

On Mon, 2 May 2022 20:44:06 +0100
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 01-May-22 21:13, maus wrote:
> > On 2022-05-01, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> >> On 30-Apr-22 23:01, RustyHinge wrote:
> >>

> >> Central Electricity Generating Board - it died in the 1990s.
> >>
> >> Isn't there a saying that we are only three meals away from utter
> >> anarchy and mob violence?
> >>

> > Hopefully. People should not just lie down and die. In France, they head for
> > the barricades just as they did in 1789.
> >
> > I remember back in some crises back years ago, Some UK minister advised
> > people to share showers. I am waiting for such a suggestion now.
> >
> > Anyway, have ye not a clamp of potatoes near the back door :)
> >

> 'Tis cars that get clamped these days.
>
> When we grow potatoes, the 'crop' sometimes weighs less than the seed
> potatoes we planted.

Same here last year; lack of water methinks. (Shower water now saved for them - obref other thread in another NG!)
--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<ke4mPCC1BGciFAmh@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10176&group=uk.rec.sheds#10176

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 23:51:33 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Mon, 2 May 2022 22:51 UTC

In article <tCWbK.120189$sMg.62565@fx06.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<not@home.com> on Mon, 2 May 2022 at 20:50:49 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 02-May-22 20:20, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> One grandmother had bought her television for the coronation and it was
>> small plastic and ugly as they come.
>
>My parents[1] got their first TV at around the same time I arrived - so
>a fair length of time before the coronation.
>
>My earliest recollection (could be a phantom unforgettery) is of half
>the neighbours on our street crammed into our front room to watch QEII
>get oil dribbled on her bonce.
>
>[1] Dad really.

The oil dribbling bit was not filmed or televised. The Archbish claimed
that it was too holy for us ordinary people to see. It is the part where
an ordinary person is supposed to become divine, would you believe.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<t4r4ac$s8l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10188&group=uk.rec.sheds#10188

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 12:39:55 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 3 May 2022 11:39 UTC

On 02/05/2022 22:05, maus wrote:
> On 2022-05-02, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> Hopefully. People should not just lie down and die. In France, they head for
>>> the barricades just as they did in 1789.
>>>
>>> I remember back in some crises back years ago, Some UK minister advised
>>> people to share showers. I am waiting for such a suggestion now.
>>>
>>> Anyway, have ye not a clamp of potatoes near the back door :)
>>>

>> 'Tis cars that get clamped these days.
>>
>> When we grow potatoes, the 'crop' sometimes weighs less than the seed
>> potatoes we planted.
>>

> Never sow potatoes where they grown within the last 8 years.
> Brassicas within the last five.
>
> Against that, someone told me of an abandoned (by people) scots Island,
> where the potatoes have regrown on the same plot since. Kinda sad.
> Forget the name of the Island.

Hirta (pronounced 'Heerscht'), otherwise known as St Kilda, and the spud
would have almost certainly been bontata dubh (black potato), but its
actual name as been lost (by any acquaintance of mine) in the mists of
time - something like African Queen.

But your one could have been any of the other small islands now
uninhabited, but the variety of potato is likely to have been the same
one. It's ideally suited to peaty soils and the continual drooking.

They can grow on the same patch year after year because blight's reach
isn't so far north. One of Scotland's important exports is certified
'seed' potatoes.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<t4rnqi$usi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10202&group=uk.rec.sheds#10202

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 18:12:49 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:12 UTC

On 03/05/2022 12:39, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 02/05/2022 22:05, maus wrote:

>>> 'Tis cars that get clamped these days.
>>>
>>> When we grow potatoes, the 'crop' sometimes weighs less than the seed
>>> potatoes we planted.
>>>

>> Never sow potatoes where they grown within the last 8 years.
>> Brassicas within the last five.
>>
>> Against that, someone told me of an abandoned (by people) scots Island,
>> where the potatoes have regrown on the same plot since. Kinda sad.
>> Forget the name of the Island.
>
> Hirta (pronounced 'Heerscht'), otherwise known as St Kilda, and the spud
> would have almost certainly been bontata dubh (black potato), but its
> actual name as been lost (by any acquaintance of mine) in the mists of
> time - something like African Queen.
>
> But your one could have been any of the other small islands now
> uninhabited, but the variety of potato is likely to have been the same
> one. It's ideally suited to peaty soils and the continual drooking.
>
> They can grow on the same patch year after year because blight's reach
> isn't so far north. One of Scotland's important exports is certified
> 'seed' potatoes.

Oh, andwhen 'new' and young, the skin looks a *very* darker shade of -
blue, almost black.

When cut across, there is a violet-purple ring below the perimiter, with
rays of lighter violet-purple focussed on the centre.

The spud holds together vwell when cooked and the slices look quite
decorative in a salad, but mashed - UAB! It turns a nasty grey colour,
but it has a really good flavour.

I want some to plant in tubs of compost.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<slrnt72t61.9us.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10205&group=uk.rec.sheds#10205

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 3 May 2022 18:30:25 GMT
 by: maus - Tue, 3 May 2022 18:30 UTC

On 2022-05-03, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 02/05/2022 22:05, maus wrote:

> Hirta (pronounced 'Heerscht'), otherwise known as St Kilda, and the spud
> would have almost certainly been bontata dubh (black potato), but its
> actual name as been lost (by any acquaintance of mine) in the mists of
> time - something like African Queen.
>
> But your one could have been any of the other small islands now
> uninhabited, but the variety of potato is likely to have been the same
> one. It's ideally suited to peaty soils and the continual drooking.
>
> They can grow on the same patch year after year because blight's reach
> isn't so far north. One of Scotland's important exports is certified
> 'seed' potatoes.

My Father in law, who had varities of potato like that, sent us a couple
of sacks of `black potatoes' like that, very good for potato salad. I
Think it is the almost constant wind that keep blight away.

--
greymausg@mail.com
It is I, alone, who can tell you.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<691539272.673299379.806403.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10208&group=uk.rec.sheds#10208

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 3 May 2022 19:37:21 GMT
<slrnt6tqfu.d5v.maus@dmaus.org>
<awWbK.88666$3b1.84675@fx14.ams1>
<slrnt70hsl.dag.maus@dmaus.org>
<t4r4ac$s8l$1@dont-email.me>
<slrnt72t61.9us.maus@dmaus.org>
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 3 May 2022 19:37 UTC

maus <maus@dmaus.org> wrote:
> Think it is the almost constant wind that keep blight away.

You can get pills (not Pils) for that…

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<QIfcK.882128$sb1.131162@fx11.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10209&group=uk.rec.sheds#10209

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 20:51:12 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 3 May 2022 19:51 UTC

On 03-May-22 18:12, RustyHinge wrote:

of bontata dubh (black potato)

> I want some to plant in tubs of compost.

SWMBO grows second earlies in medium sized black plastic bags. She's
been using the same plastic bags now for around five years.
(I think she puts them through the washing chamine each time before use.)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<2MfcK.88676$3b1.79998@fx14.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10210&group=uk.rec.sheds#10210

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 20:54:38 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 3 May 2022 19:54 UTC

On 02-May-22 22:51, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Mon, 2 May 2022 20:44:06 +0100
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> Hopefully. People should not just lie down and die. In France, they head for
>>> the barricades just as they did in 1789.
>>>
>>> I remember back in some crises back years ago, Some UK minister advised
>>> people to share showers. I am waiting for such a suggestion now.
>>>
>>> Anyway, have ye not a clamp of potatoes near the back door :)
>>>

>> 'Tis cars that get clamped these days.
>>
>> When we grow potatoes, the 'crop' sometimes weighs less than the seed
>> potatoes we planted.
>>
> Same here last year; lack of water methinks. (Shower water now saved for them - obref other thread in another NG!)

I've just set up our watering system for the year.
Long pipe with lots of individual drippers you put in each
plantpot/trough/whatever. Run from a timer it's only on for 2 minutes,
twice a day. It keeps the potatoes adequately watered even when we're
away for weeks at a time & uses only a tiny amount of water.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<jddpdeFgovbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10219&group=uk.rec.sheds#10219

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 23:41:49 +0100
<XnsAE8859912A183mpndisorg@144.76.35.252> <t4ipth$5a9$1@dont-email.me>
<g86dnTILqLyXaPH_nZ2dnUU7-TfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<20220430103129.ea55709b9eb1784967c96d45@eircom.net>
<slrnt6qk8m.6n8.maus@dmaus.org> <PQHM8hAUCYbiFAaW@salmiron.com>
<ZfIvflQ7TabiFwoJ@ku.gro.lloiff> <t4kbjq$832$1@dont-email.me>
<DJAbK.37050$7p1.19157@fx04.ams1> <jd9tr3FofdfU3@mid.individual.net>
<slrnt6vusd.aa5.maus@dmaus.org> <t4p73e$51q$1@dont-email.me>
<uaUkOdBF8CciFAGc@salmiron.com> <tCWbK.120189$sMg.62565@fx06.ams1>
<t4penk$c1h$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Mike Fleming - Tue, 3 May 2022 22:41 UTC

On 02/05/2022 21:25, RustyHinge wrote:

> I have one fond memory, of one of my mother's cats sitting a couple of
> feet in front of the screen watching snooker. His head moved to watch
> the balls' progress, but he never tried to catch them (that I saw).

One of my cats was fascinated by anything moving on a green background.
Snooker and rugby were two of her favourites, where she would stand on
her hind legs batting at the ball, but the one that stood out for me was
"One man and his dog" where she would be frantically smacking at the
sheep as they moved across the countryside.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<mpro.rbjgqp007ifl2030o.brian13434@lycos.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10333&group=uk.rec.sheds#10333

From: brian13...@lycos.co.uk (Brian D)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 01:44:49 +0100
x-noarchive: yes
 by: Brian D - Sun, 8 May 2022 00:44 UTC

Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> > Back in the 1970s, three-day-week etc. there were lots of power-cuts.
> > The wife of a co-jbexer had a wbo with the CEGB. They had thought ahead
> > and bought a small generator.

I jbexed at a tV transmitter then. they turned our power off about 7:30PM.
Got phone call from grid control shortly afterwards asking why TV was off
and why ewwe weren't on generators. Sed we didn't have any. They'd had too
many complaints of TV off (prolly bent ears from their other ... They never
turned us off again.

--
Braind

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<70adacc1-3557-4e4f-9be4-3c9f9cf7fdb5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10335&group=uk.rec.sheds#10335

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 19:53:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sun, 8 May 2022 02:53 UTC

On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 7:49:03 PM UTC-5, Brian D wrote:
> Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Back in the 1970s, three-day-week etc. there were lots of power-cuts.
> > > The wife of a co-jbexer had a wbo with the CEGB. They had thought ahead
> > > and bought a small generator.
> >
> I jbexed at a tV transmitter then. they turned our power off about 7:30PM.
> Got phone call from grid control shortly afterwards asking why TV was off
> and why ewwe weren't on generators. Sed we didn't have any. They'd had too
> many complaints of TV off (prolly bent ears from their other ... They never
> turned us off again.
>
> --
> Braind
I remember Johnny Carson saying he was freaked out when people would send him photographs of their pets watching him on TV.

Re: Google, I assume this is genuine?

<flFYRJAFY9diFA7L@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10339&group=uk.rec.sheds#10339

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 15:39:01 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:39 UTC

In article <mpro.rbjgqp007ifl2030o.brian13434@lycos.co.uk>, Brian D
<brian13434@lycos.co.uk> on Sun, 8 May 2022 at 01:44:49 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> > Back in the 1970s, three-day-week etc. there were lots of power-cuts.
>> > The wife of a co-jbexer had a wbo with the CEGB. They had thought ahead
>> > and bought a small generator.
>>
>I jbexed at a tV transmitter then. they turned our power off about 7:30PM.
>Got phone call from grid control shortly afterwards asking why TV was off
>and why ewwe weren't on generators. Sed we didn't have any. They'd had too
>many complaints of TV off (prolly bent ears from their other ... They never
>turned us off again.

I worked for an 'essential' military organisation at that time. Our
power never went off.

The 'amazing' thing was to discover the clock watchers who volunteered
to work overtime.

Used to go home to my flat (a converted house) to find all my neighbours
on the first floor landing gathered around a communal candle. I have
fond, warm memories of that time; amazing what 50 years does to ones
memory.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"