From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Rapidweaver
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 05:30:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 05:30 UTC

I started using RW a few years ago, and bought a number of plugins - about
£100 worth - and it ticks along nicely.

However, they've recently changed to a subsciption model. I *think* my paid
for version will keep working for now, but it's out of support. So it, or one
of the plugins, /may/ stop working at some point, or I might miss an update to
say a security feature.

I'm not quite sure what to do. The RW forums are (apparently) sanitised, and
there's a fair bit of noise on other forums.

Reading between the lines, I can adopt a subscription model which won't
expire, but will stop updating after the subscription period (£100/year) if I
ask RW nicely. But I can see that opportunity being withdrawn soon. Or
subscribe - £100pa. Or plod on. Or move to some other software - which won't
be easy as I've set up a few sites now.

Any users out there with any thoughts?

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Rapidweaver

<Z-qdnY5zA9sHzpH-nZ2dnZfqn_rNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10346&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10346

Subject: Re: Rapidweaver
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:50:18 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 05:50 UTC

On 29/08/2022 06:30, RJH wrote:
> I started using RW a few years ago, and bought a number of plugins - about
> £100 worth - and it ticks along nicely.
>
> However, they've recently changed to a subsciption model. I *think* my paid
> for version will keep working for now, but it's out of support. So it, or one
> of the plugins, /may/ stop working at some point, or I might miss an update to
> say a security feature.
>
> I'm not quite sure what to do. The RW forums are (apparently) sanitised, and
> there's a fair bit of noise on other forums.
>
> Reading between the lines, I can adopt a subscription model which won't
> expire, but will stop updating after the subscription period (£100/year) if I
> ask RW nicely. But I can see that opportunity being withdrawn soon. Or
> subscribe - £100pa. Or plod on. Or move to some other software - which won't
> be easy as I've set up a few sites now.
>
> Any users out there with any thoughts?

Well, whichever way you look at it, it's a bummer. I stopped using GoLive for
the same reason.
The upgrade, according to the email I got. is £40 (39.99) billed annually.
That's enough to deter me let alone any future increase.
I had thought that things were moving away from these licensing deals but it
does seem that they have come back to haunt us. Even BMW now want you to pay a
subscription to allow you to use the gadgets you already paid for when you
bought the car - following on from Tesla I suspect.
But, coming back on topic, I looked around when I first got the email and
there are very few straight purchase apps these days.

Re: Rapidweaver

<tehks2$vej3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10347&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10347

From: chrisr...@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 07:03:45 +0100
 by: Chris Ridd - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:03 UTC

On 29/08/2022 06:30, RJH wrote:
> I started using RW a few years ago, and bought a number of plugins - about
> £100 worth - and it ticks along nicely.
>
> However, they've recently changed to a subsciption model. I *think* my paid
> for version will keep working for now, but it's out of support. So it, or one
> of the plugins, /may/ stop working at some point, or I might miss an update to
> say a security feature.
>
> I'm not quite sure what to do. The RW forums are (apparently) sanitised, and
> there's a fair bit of noise on other forums.
>
> Reading between the lines, I can adopt a subscription model which won't
> expire, but will stop updating after the subscription period (£100/year) if I
> ask RW nicely. But I can see that opportunity being withdrawn soon. Or
> subscribe - £100pa. Or plod on. Or move to some other software - which won't
> be easy as I've set up a few sites now.
>
> Any users out there with any thoughts?

This is a timely post! The last bit of software I need to migrate from
my old steam powered MBP to my M1 is an old version of Rapidweaver and
Stacks.

It looks like upgrading to the new RW would be £40 (annual subscription)
and a $60 purchase for Stacks.

A quick google finds blocsapp.com for $120, sparkleapp.com for £115 but
also for a £65 annual subscription, and everwebapp.com for $90.

I hadn't got around to trying any of them. I wonder how well they'd
import an old RW project or whether you'd have to start each one again
from scratch.

--
Chris

Re: Rapidweaver

<tehq1c$vso8$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10348&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10348

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 07:31:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 07:31 UTC

On 29 Aug 2022 at 06:30:02 BST, "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

> I started using RW a few years ago, and bought a number of plugins - about
> £100 worth - and it ticks along nicely.
>
> Any users out there with any thoughts?

I used to develop websites for a living, mostly using DreamWeaver and BBEdit.
The writing was on the wall when Adobe got their hands on Macromedia and
started screwing everything up.
Great shame, Fireworks was the best image editor I ever used for web graphics.
Once Adobe moved to subscription I moved over to wordpress.org.
I looked at Rapidweaver some years ago as a possible option for smaller sites
but I didn't like the resulting code or the fact it was practically useless
until you bought essential extras, so I didn't bother with it. It's basically
the same as the dozens of drag and drop online website builders like Wix and
Squarespace, so take your pick. I don't know if any of them allow self hosting
though. That's the squeeze.

--
This is not the signature you are looking for.
You can go about your business

Re: Rapidweaver

<ytWcnduoFP4a9pH-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10349&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10349

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:32:23 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 07:32 UTC

On 29/08/2022 07:03, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 29/08/2022 06:30, RJH wrote:
>> I started using RW a few years ago, and bought a number of plugins - about
>> £100 worth - and it ticks along nicely.
>>
>> However, they've recently changed to a subsciption model. I *think* my paid
>> for version will keep working for now, but it's out of support. So it, or one
>> of the plugins, /may/ stop working at some point, or I might miss an update to
>> say a security feature.
>>
>> I'm not quite sure what to do. The RW forums are (apparently) sanitised, and
>> there's a fair bit of noise on other forums.
>>
>> Reading between the lines, I can adopt a subscription model which won't
>> expire, but will stop updating after the subscription period (£100/year) if I
>> ask RW nicely. But I can see that opportunity being withdrawn soon. Or
>> subscribe - £100pa. Or plod on. Or move to some other software - which won't
>> be easy as I've set up a few sites now.
>>
>> Any users out there with any thoughts?
>
> This is a timely post! The last bit of software I need to migrate from my old
> steam powered MBP to my M1 is an old version of Rapidweaver and Stacks.
>
> It looks like upgrading to the new RW would be £40 (annual subscription) and a
> $60 purchase for Stacks.
>
> A quick google finds blocsapp.com for $120, sparkleapp.com for £115 but also
> for a £65 annual subscription, and everwebapp.com for $90.
>
> I hadn't got around to trying any of them. I wonder how well they'd import an
> old RW project or whether you'd have to start each one again from scratch.

When I switched to Rapidweaver IIRC there was some kind of import facility.
Whether that's possible with other apps...

It is a distinct pain in the nether regions though.