<ahzz_> i figured 17G oughta be enough.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / uPVC Window Will not open

SubjectAuthor
* uPVC Window Will not openpinnerite
`* Re: uPVC Window Will not openalan_m
 +* Re: uPVC Window Will not openTricky Dicky
 |`* Re: uPVC Window Will not openpinnerite
 | `- Re: uPVC Window Will not openAndrew
 `- Re: uPVC Window Will not openpinnerite

1
uPVC Window Will not open

<20230911145458.131d140ed222cae2653e7b8f@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103733&group=uk.d-i-y#103733

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: uPVC Window Will not open
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:54:58 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 13:54 UTC

My bathroom window (side hinged) is shut tight.

When I raise the handle all but the bottom seems free.

From similar windows in the house it seems that when the handle is turned to the locked position, a solid rod pushes up, another pushes down and a rectangular bolt moves horizontally.

I gather from this that the bottom rod will not lift.

Is there a non-destructive method of repairing this?

TIA

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-83-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: uPVC Window Will not open

<km8msuF420cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103736&group=uk.d-i-y#103736

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: uPVC Window Will not open
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 15:35:10 +0100
 by: alan_m - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:35 UTC

On 11/09/2023 14:54, pinnerite wrote:
> My bathroom window (side hinged) is shut tight.
>
> When I raise the handle all but the bottom seems free.
>
> From similar windows in the house it seems that when the handle is turned to the locked position, a solid rod pushes up, another pushes down and a rectangular bolt moves horizontally.
>
> I gather from this that the bottom rod will not lift.
>
> Is there a non-destructive method of repairing this?
>
> TIA

coat hanger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ANWtzah-I

allen key/vice grips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8leMv6ibo4

There a re a few more youtube videos

Re: uPVC Window Will not open

<udnff0$14d1m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103749&group=uk.d-i-y#103749

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:32:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GKMXTsDsk6yB7axFQA1cGPK8lPU=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:32 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 11/09/2023 14:54, pinnerite wrote:
>> My bathroom window (side hinged) is shut tight.
>>
>> When I raise the handle all but the bottom seems free.
>>
>> From similar windows in the house it seems that when the handle is
>> turned to the locked position, a solid rod pushes up, another pushes
>> down and a rectangular bolt moves horizontally.
>>
>> I gather from this that the bottom rod will not lift.
>>
>> Is there a non-destructive method of repairing this?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> coat hanger?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ANWtzah-I
>
> allen key/vice grips
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8leMv6ibo4
>
> There a re a few more youtube videos

This is the issue with UPVC windows in that when closed all the mechanism
is out of sight so when things go wrong the default situation is the window
remains closed and the mechanism hard to access.

We had a window mechanism where the gearbox detached from the front plate
similar to the first video being only held in place by 4 small tenons that
were piened over. Fortunately it was a top hung window so it did not fall
into the extrusion after I removed the handle. What I found is if I left
the handle in place but not screwed to the mechanism it allowed enough
movement to get the gears engaged and the window to be opened.

If you suspect the same has happened to your mechanism don’t be tempted to
remove the handle immediately but loosen off the holding screws and tilt
the handle to try and engage the gears to open.

Richard

Re: uPVC Window Will not open

<20230911190802.6330d2f6ced0fae4b99665a3@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103763&group=uk.d-i-y#103763

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 19:08:02 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 18:08 UTC

On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 15:35:10 +0100
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11/09/2023 14:54, pinnerite wrote:
> > My bathroom window (side hinged) is shut tight.
> >
> > When I raise the handle all but the bottom seems free.
> >
> > From similar windows in the house it seems that when the handle is turned to the locked position, a solid rod pushes up, another pushes down and a rectangular bolt moves horizontally.
> >
> > I gather from this that the bottom rod will not lift.
> >
> > Is there a non-destructive method of repairing this?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> coat hanger?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ANWtzah-I
>
> allen key/vice grips
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8leMv6ibo4
>
> There a re a few more youtube videos
>
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Thank you. Sadly nothing matched my situation. I've called a locksmith.
--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-83-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: uPVC Window Will not open

<20230912205714.9680147523704590fc8bf7cc@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103851&group=uk.d-i-y#103851

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 20:57:14 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 19:57 UTC

On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:32:32 -0000 (UTC)
Tricky Dicky <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:

> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 11/09/2023 14:54, pinnerite wrote:
> >> My bathroom window (side hinged) is shut tight.
> >>
> >> When I raise the handle all but the bottom seems free.
> >>
> >> From similar windows in the house it seems that when the handle is
> >> turned to the locked position, a solid rod pushes up, another pushes
> >> down and a rectangular bolt moves horizontally.
> >>
> >> I gather from this that the bottom rod will not lift.
> >>
> >> Is there a non-destructive method of repairing this?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>

> > coat hanger?
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ANWtzah-I
> >
> > allen key/vice grips
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8leMv6ibo4
> >
> > There a re a few more youtube videos
> >

> This is the issue with UPVC windows in that when closed all the mechanism
> is out of sight so when things go wrong the default situation is the window
> remains closed and the mechanism hard to access.
>
> We had a window mechanism where the gearbox detached from the front plate
> similar to the first video being only held in place by 4 small tenons that
> were piened over. Fortunately it was a top hung window so it did not fall
> into the extrusion after I removed the handle. What I found is if I left
> the handle in place but not screwed to the mechanism it allowed enough
> movement to get the gears engaged and the window to be opened.
>
> If you suspect the same has happened to your mechanism don’t be tempted to
> remove the handle immediately but loosen off the holding screws and tilt
> the handle to try and engage the gears to open.
>
> Richard

I thought it would be destructive but I watched the engineer start to
unscrew the handle mounting but got out of his way before he continued.
Then my wife called me to say he'd got it open. He went outside to
finish unscrewing the mechanism. He showed me where the rod had broken
off from within. He couldn't replace it so reconnected everything
except the bottom rod and angle bracket and put back. Not a mark. All
done in less than half an hour. It now only has two locking points
instead of three, unless I can find out where to buy a replacement rod.

I reckon he must have done what you suggested.

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-83-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: uPVC Window Will not open

<uds567$23g68$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103886&group=uk.d-i-y#103886

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:07:51 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 11:07 UTC

On 12/09/2023 20:57, pinnerite wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:32:32 -0000 (UTC)
> Tricky Dicky <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:
>
>> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> coat hanger?
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ANWtzah-I
>>>
>>> allen key/vice grips
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8leMv6ibo4
>>>
>>> There a re a few more youtube videos
>>>

>> This is the issue with UPVC windows in that when closed all the mechanism
>> is out of sight so when things go wrong the default situation is the window
>> remains closed and the mechanism hard to access.
>>
>> We had a window mechanism where the gearbox detached from the front plate
>> similar to the first video being only held in place by 4 small tenons that
>> were piened over. Fortunately it was a top hung window so it did not fall
>> into the extrusion after I removed the handle. What I found is if I left
>> the handle in place but not screwed to the mechanism it allowed enough
>> movement to get the gears engaged and the window to be opened.
>>
>> If you suspect the same has happened to your mechanism don’t be tempted to
>> remove the handle immediately but loosen off the holding screws and tilt
>> the handle to try and engage the gears to open.
>>
>> Richard
>
> I thought it would be destructive but I watched the engineer start to
> unscrew the handle mounting but got out of his way before he continued.
> Then my wife called me to say he'd got it open. He went outside to
> finish unscrewing the mechanism. He showed me where the rod had broken
> off from within. He couldn't replace it so reconnected everything
> except the bottom rod and angle bracket and put back. Not a mark. All
> done in less than half an hour. It now only has two locking points
> instead of three, unless I can find out where to buy a replacement rod.
>
> I reckon he must have done what you suggested.
>
> Alan

All the modern uPVC windows and doors these days seem to have
a unit that has 2 or 3 mushroom-shaped objects that are
connected to a slider that goes up and down and engage with
corresponding latches in the vertical jamb only.

Which company made your windows ?. Maybe it is time to
consider replacing them.