From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Just had...
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 20:13:54 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 10 May 2022 19:13 UTC

An e-mail from someone complaining that the tellingbone number I
provided was not a mobile number.

I knew that...

She should try using a phobile in my fromt room innit, and she'd pretty
soon discover why I gave her a number which works.

Anyway, why would I need a mobile to speak to the hospital transport people?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Just had...

<t5eeu5$rvd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10389&group=uk.rec.sheds#10389

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Just had...
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 20:37:40 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 10 May 2022 19:37 UTC

On 10/05/2022 20:13, RustyHinge wrote:
> An e-mail from someone complaining that the tellingbone number I
> provided was not a mobile number.
>
> I knew that...
>
> She should try using a phobile in my fromt room innit, and she'd pretty
> soon discover why I gave her a number which works.
>
> Anyway, why would I need a mobile to speak to the hospital transport
> people?

Oops! finger trubble with eyesight overtones. (not overTones)

Praps we'll have a teffylone call now I've crected the last emu.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Just had...

<jdvtolFddeU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10391&group=uk.rec.sheds#10391

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 20:46:27 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Tue, 10 May 2022 19:46 UTC

On 10/05/2022 20:13, RustyHinge wrote:
> An e-mail from someone complaining that the tellingbone number I
> provided was not a mobile number.
>
> I knew that...
>
> She should try using a phobile in my fromt room innit, and she'd pretty
> soon discover why I gave her a number which works.
>
> Anyway, why would I need a mobile to speak to the hospital transport
> people?

Because we are rapidly approaching a position where if you haven't got a
mobile phone (Preferably a "smart" one) surgically attached to your ear,
you don't exist.

An advantage for officialdom, which few seem to realise, of using a
landline is that they know where you are to within a few feet when you
are using it. This is why, when you break down on a motorway, after you
contact the emergency services using a phobile, they often ask you to
ring back from the nearest emergency phone on the hard shoulder.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Just had...

<LDzeK.154252$4c1.148225@fx13.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10398&group=uk.rec.sheds#10398

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 21:09:14 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 10 May 2022 20:09 UTC

On 10-May-22 20:46, John Williamson wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 20:13, RustyHinge wrote:
>> An e-mail from someone complaining that the tellingbone number I
>> provided was not a mobile number.
>>
>> I knew that...
>>
>> She should try using a phobile in my fromt room innit, and she'd pretty
>> soon discover why I gave her a number which works.
>>
>> Anyway, why would I need a mobile to speak to the hospital transport
>> people?
>>
> Because we are rapidly approaching a position where if you haven't got a
> mobile phone (Preferably a "smart" one) surgically attached to your ear,
> you don't exist.
>
> An advantage for officialdom, which few seem to realise, of using a
> landline is that they know where you are to within a few feet when you
> are using it. This is why, when you break down on a motorway, after you
> contact the emergency services using a phobile, they often ask you to
> ring back from the nearest emergency phone on the hard shoulder.

I was watching a YouTube video in which, part way through, someone was
spitting feathers because they were trying to buy some stuff online -
and the website insisted on using Two Factor Verification by sending her
a text.
She live half way up a cliff in Italy and there ain't no phobile moan
signal anywhere near her house (you have to climb 500 steps to get to
the nearest road).
I have the same problem here - yet all these organisations rely on the
fact that _everybody_ has 24/7 mobile access.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Just had...

<20220510212509.15e5e02053795f0cd0420e7e@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10399&group=uk.rec.sheds#10399

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 21:25:09 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 10 May 2022 20:25 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 20:46:27 +0100
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> This is why, when you break down on a motorway, after you
> contact the emergency services using a phobile, they often ask you to
> ring back from the nearest emergency phone on the hard shoulder.

Whereas if I use my phobile to get roadside assistance from the AA
they get a GPS derived location along with the request and I can watch the
progress of the van getting lost^W^Wcoming to help me on a map which beats
the hootery out of the time I had to call them out and it turned out I was
not only broken down but also not on the (windy, unsignposted) road
through the mountains I thought I was on but a different (windy[2],
unsignposted) road through the mountains. It took them ages to find me.

[2] You can read that as twisty or breezy - both would be correct.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/