I do desire we may be better strangers. -- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: telly naming rant.

SubjectAuthor
* telly naming rant.soup
+* telly naming rant.Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|+* telly naming rant.maus
||`- telly naming rant.RustyHinge
|`* telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
| +- telly naming rant.Ahem A Rivet's Shot
| +* telly naming rant.Peter
| |`* telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
| | `* telly naming rant.Peter
| |  `- telly naming rant.Nicholas D. Richards
| +* telly naming rant.maus
| |`* telly naming rant.Mike Fleming
| | +* telly naming rant.maus
| | |+* telly naming rant.John Williamson
| | |`* telly naming rant.Mike Fleming
| | | `* telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
| | |  `- telly naming rant.maus
| | `* telly naming rant.Nicholas D. Richards
| |  `* telly naming rant.soup
| |   +- telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
| |   `* telly naming rant.Mike Fleming
| |    +* telly naming rant.maus
| |    |+* telly naming rant.Sam Plusnet
| |    ||`* telly naming rant.RustyHinge
| |    || `* telly naming rant.ChrisND@privacy.net
| |    ||  `* telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
| |    ||   +- telly naming rant.RustyHinge
| |    ||   `- telly naming rant.RustyHinge
| |    |`* telly naming rant.Brian G
| |    | +- telly naming rant.Ahem A Rivet's Shot
| |    | `- telly naming rant.maus
| |    `- telly naming rant.RustyHinge
| `* telly naming rant.Sam Plusnet
|  `- telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
`* telly naming rant.Mike Fleming
 `* telly naming rant.Nicholas D. Richards
  `* telly naming rant.RustyHinge
   `* telly naming rant.maus
    +* telly naming rant.Nick Odell
    |`- telly naming rant.RustyHinge
    +* telly naming rant.Tone
    |`- telly naming rant.Nicholas D. Richards
    `- telly naming rant.Mike Fleming

Pages:12
telly naming rant.

<t5ej9d$unl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10401&group=uk.rec.sheds#10401

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: telly naming rant.
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 21:52:03 +0100
 by: soup - Tue, 10 May 2022 20:52 UTC

I am a classical liberal ie not left wing or right wing but SLIGHTLY
right of centre.

Someone had said "Greys Anatomy"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey%27s_Anatomy
was not only very long running but was espousing more and more SJW
talking points.

So I decided to watch a couple of episodes .
On one of them two adults were discussing their new babies name .
Lots of names were put forward Bill, Ted, Scout etc.
Whereupon the father character said "what about female names he might
not identify as male" " your right" says the mother "how about
Kimberly".

I have heard of parents putting off naming there babies , but maybe six
weeks or so, not the years required for a baby growing into a sexual
being.

Are people really giving the idea of babies as transgender a
significant amount of thought.

Re: telly naming rant.

<20220510232328.fe691474bcceea98b2dc3ebd@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10408&group=uk.rec.sheds#10408

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: telly naming rant.
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 23:23:28 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 10 May 2022 22:23 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 21:52:03 +0100
soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> I have heard of parents putting off naming there babies , but maybe six
> weeks or so, not the years required for a baby growing into a sexual
> being.
>
> Are people really giving the idea of babies as transgender a
> significant amount of thought.

That seems a little extreme to me, but I think there is a growing
awareness of the extent of gender conditioning children undergo that starts
with blue or pink and gets more and more intense from there on. It almost
seems designed to enforce conformity. It's nothing new despite regular
harping about kids being more sexualised "these days" just because dresses
have given way to leggings - they're still wearing versions of what their
parents wear mostly gender reinforcing costumes and gender role
reinforcement is so widespread as to be almost unnoticeable - despite vast
changes since the 1950s.

So yes if we really do want a culture that's blind to gender except
where it matters then it starts with baby names and children's clothing. I
goove a lot of the current explosion in transgender etc. is the result of
that universal conditioning starting to break down along with the
realisation (growing since the 1960s) that the traditional gender roles are
about fitting people into society like cogs into a machine rather than
fitting society to people like a nurturing blanket (something supportive
anyway[1]). This is an exploration phase which will eventually lead to a
very different (but hopefully more human) understanding of gender and frk
as well as society and people.

[1] Hands up who gooved truss.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: telly naming rant.

<je0bbbF2rblU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10410&group=uk.rec.sheds#10410

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 00:38:18 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Tue, 10 May 2022 23:38 UTC

On 10/05/2022 21:52, soup wrote:

> I am a classical liberal ie not left wing or right wing but SLIGHTLY
> right of centre.
>
> Someone had said "Greys Anatomy"
>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey%27s_Anatomy
> was not only very long running but was espousing  more and more SJW
> talking points.
>
> So I decided to watch a couple of episodes .
> On one of them two adults were discussing their new babies name .
> Lots of names were put forward Bill, Ted, Scout etc.
> Whereupon the father character said "what about female names he might
> not identify as male" " your right" says the mother "how about
> Kimberly".
>
> I have heard of parents putting off naming there babies , but maybe six
> weeks or so, not the years required for a baby growing into a sexual
> being.
>
>   Are people really giving the idea of babies as transgender  a
> significant amount of thought.

Of the five people I know who are transgender[1], all of them have
changed their names - four M->F, one F->M. Changing your name is the
simple part of being trans.

[1] Two friends I've known for decades (so it came as a bit of a
surprise), one offspring of a friend, one acquaintance, one member of
the extended family.

Re: telly naming rant.

<DgLPwWAxD4eiFAQ3@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10414&group=uk.rec.sheds#10414

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 10:25:05 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 11 May 2022 09:25 UTC

In article <je0bbbF2rblU1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
<mike@tauzero.co.uk> on Wed, 11 May 2022 at 00:38:18 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>On 10/05/2022 21:52, soup wrote:
>>
>> I am a classical liberal ie not left wing or right wing but SLIGHTLY
>> right of centre.
>>
>> Someone had said "Greys Anatomy"
>>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey%27s_Anatomy
>> was not only very long running but was espousing  more and more SJW
>> talking points.
>>
>> So I decided to watch a couple of episodes .
>> On one of them two adults were discussing their new babies name .
>> Lots of names were put forward Bill, Ted, Scout etc.
>> Whereupon the father character said "what about female names he might
>> not identify as male" " your right" says the mother "how about
>> Kimberly".
>>
>> I have heard of parents putting off naming there babies , but maybe six
>> weeks or so, not the years required for a baby growing into a sexual
>> being.
>>
>>   Are people really giving the idea of babies as transgender  a
>> significant amount of thought.
>
>Of the five people I know who are transgender[1], all of them have
>changed their names - four M->F, one F->M. Changing your name is the
>simple part of being trans.
>
>[1] Two friends I've known for decades (so it came as a bit of a
>surprise), one offspring of a friend, one acquaintance, one member of
>the extended family.

I have never knowingly met one.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: telly naming rant.

<t5g0ct$6t9$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10416&group=uk.rec.sheds#10416

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 10:41:49 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 11 May 2022 09:41 UTC

On 11/05/2022 10:25, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <je0bbbF2rblU1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
> <mike@tauzero.co.uk> on Wed, 11 May 2022 at 00:38:18 awoke Nicholas
> from his slumbers and wrote
>> On 10/05/2022 21:52, soup wrote:
>>>
>>> I am a classical liberal ie not left wing or right wing but SLIGHTLY
>>> right of centre.
>>>
>>> Someone had said "Greys Anatomy"
>>>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey%27s_Anatomy
>>> was not only very long running but was espousing  more and more SJW
>>> talking points.
>>>
>>> So I decided to watch a couple of episodes .
>>> On one of them two adults were discussing their new babies name .
>>> Lots of names were put forward Bill, Ted, Scout etc.
>>> Whereupon the father character said "what about female names he might
>>> not identify as male" " your right" says the mother "how about
>>> Kimberly".
>>>
>>> I have heard of parents putting off naming there babies , but maybe six
>>> weeks or so, not the years required for a baby growing into a sexual
>>> being.
>>>
>>>   Are people really giving the idea of babies as transgender  a
>>> significant amount of thought.
>>
>> Of the five people I know who are transgender[1], all of them have
>> changed their names - four M->F, one F->M. Changing your name is the
>> simple part of being trans.
>>
>> [1] Two friends I've known for decades (so it came as a bit of a
>> surprise), one offspring of a friend, one acquaintance, one member of
>> the extended family.
>
> I have never knowingly met one.

+1

One of my best fiends was on the other bus, thobut.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: telly naming rant.

<slrnt7nljn.9f6.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10424&group=uk.rec.sheds#10424

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 11 May 2022 15:29:59 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 11 May 2022 15:29 UTC

On 2022-05-10, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2022 21:52:03 +0100
> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> I have heard of parents putting off naming there babies , but maybe six
>> weeks or so, not the years required for a baby growing into a sexual
>> being.
>>
>> Are people really giving the idea of babies as transgender a
>> significant amount of thought.
>
> [1] Hands up who gooved truss.

Woke up this morning half asleep, and yellow roses scattered all around

--
greymausg@mail.com
It is I, alone, who can tell you.

Re: telly naming rant.

<slrnt7nm0q.9f6.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10425&group=uk.rec.sheds#10425

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 11 May 2022 15:36:58 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 11 May 2022 15:36 UTC

On 2022-05-11, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 10:25, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <je0bbbF2rblU1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
>> <mike@tauzero.co.uk> on Wed, 11 May 2022 at 00:38:18 awoke Nicholas
>> from his slumbers and wrote

>>> [1] Two friends I've known for decades (so it came as a bit of a
>>> surprise), one offspring of a friend, one acquaintance, one member of
>>> the extended family.
>>
>> I have never knowingly met one.

The half sister of my granddaughter intends to have the operation,
AFAIK. Is it reversible? I hope so. I know several ladies who have
switched sides, and there are some I know who constantly change which
part of the church they sit in, if you know what I mean.

Their business, not mine. I had a friend that visited Bankock years ago,
and he advised a hand expedition before spending money.

> +1
>
> One of my best fiends was on the other bus, thobut.

--
greymausg@mail.com
It is I, alone, who can tell you.

Re: telly naming rant.

<t5gpbg$i6l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10426&group=uk.rec.sheds#10426

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 17:47:43 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 11 May 2022 16:47 UTC

On 11/05/2022 16:29, maus wrote:
> On 2022-05-10, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 May 2022 21:52:03 +0100
>> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have heard of parents putting off naming there babies , but maybe six
>>> weeks or so, not the years required for a baby growing into a sexual
>>> being.
>>>
>>> Are people really giving the idea of babies as transgender a
>>> significant amount of thought.
>>
>> [1] Hands up who gooved truss.

With all my blankets in a heap
^

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: telly naming rant.

<4jmn7hdbhird918f52b67jase67fv5r378@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10427&group=uk.rec.sheds#10427

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 16:52:01 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 11 May 2022 15:52 UTC

On 11 May 2022 15:36:58 GMT, maus <maus@dmaus.org> wrote:

>On 2022-05-11, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 11/05/2022 10:25, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>> In article <je0bbbF2rblU1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
>>> <mike@tauzero.co.uk> on Wed, 11 May 2022 at 00:38:18 awoke Nicholas
>>> from his slumbers and wrote

>>> I have never knowingly met one.
>
>The half sister of my granddaughter intends to have the operation,
>AFAIK. Is it reversible? I hope so. I know several ladies who have
>switched sides, and there are some I know who constantly change which
>part of the church they sit in, if you know what I mean.
>
>Their business, not mine. I had a friend that visited Bankock years ago,
>and he advised a hand expedition before spending money.

Here's an article on the subject of detransitioning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50548473

The article contains links to the radio programme I heard a couple of
years ago and to the associated television programme, now available on
YouTube.

<snip>

Erme - that <snip> wasn't very tactful, was it?

Nick

Re: telly naming rant.

<t5gtv5$m15$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10429&group=uk.rec.sheds#10429

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 19:06:28 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 11 May 2022 18:06 UTC

On 11/05/2022 16:36, maus wrote:
> On 2022-05-11, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 11/05/2022 10:25, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>> In article <je0bbbF2rblU1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
>>> <mike@tauzero.co.uk> on Wed, 11 May 2022 at 00:38:18 awoke Nicholas
>>> from his slumbers and wrote

>>> I have never knowingly met one.
>
> The half sister of my granddaughter intends to have the operation,
> AFAIK. Is it reversible? I hope so. I know several ladies who have
> switched sides, and there are some I know who constantly change which
> part of the church they sit in, if you know what I mean.
>
> Their business, not mine. I had a friend that visited Bankock years ago,
> and he advised a hand expedition before spending money.
>

>> +1
>>
>> One of my best fiends was on the other bus, thobut.

Same in Boogie Street, Singapore, in days of yore. They could get quite
narsty with knives too, if you reacted violently (I'm told).

Tone

Re: telly naming rant.

<t5gvrs$43f$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10431&group=uk.rec.sheds#10431

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 19:38:51 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 11 May 2022 18:38 UTC

On 11/05/2022 16:52, Nick Odell wrote:
> On 11 May 2022 15:36:58 GMT, maus <maus@dmaus.org> wrote:

>> The half sister of my granddaughter intends to have the operation,
>> AFAIK. Is it reversible? I hope so. I know several ladies who have
>> switched sides, and there are some I know who constantly change which
>> part of the church they sit in, if you know what I mean.
>>
>> Their business, not mine. I had a friend that visited Bankock years ago,
>> and he advised a hand expedition before spending money.
>
> Here's an article on the subject of detransitioning.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50548473
>
> The article contains links to the radio programme I heard a couple of
> years ago and to the associated television programme, now available on
> YouTube.
>
> <snip>
>
> Erme - that <snip> wasn't very tactful, was it?

<no propagation>

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: telly naming rant.

<FLr+6iA0IDfiFALp@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10441&group=uk.rec.sheds#10441

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 23:01:24 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 11 May 2022 22:01 UTC

In article <t5gtv5$m15$2@dont-email.me>, Tone <tone@email.com> on Wed,
11 May 2022 at 19:06:28 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 11/05/2022 16:36, maus wrote:

>> The half sister of my granddaughter intends to have the operation,
>> AFAIK. Is it reversible? I hope so. I know several ladies who have
>> switched sides, and there are some I know who constantly change which
>> part of the church they sit in, if you know what I mean.
>>
>> Their business, not mine. I had a friend that visited Bankock years ago,
>> and he advised a hand expedition before spending money.
>>

>>> +1
>>>
>>> One of my best fiends was on the other bus, thobut.
>>>

>Same in Boogie Street, Singapore, in days of yore. They could get quite
>narsty with knives too, if you reacted violently (I'm told).

When I was a postgraduate at the City University I mixed with a
Singaporean Chinese crowd who used to meet, cook and eat in the kitchen
opposite to room. One of the group was a lady who used to work in her
father's restaurant on Bugis Street. I am sure if one had attempted a
'hand expedition' her father would have reacted violently and given the
transgressor a forced gender re-assignment.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: telly naming rant.

<je5jr8F2s2uU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10478&group=uk.rec.sheds#10478

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 00:33:59 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Thu, 12 May 2022 23:33 UTC

On 11/05/2022 16:36, maus wrote:

> The half sister of my granddaughter intends to have the operation,
> AFAIK. Is it reversible? I hope so. I know several ladies who have
> switched sides, and there are some I know who constantly change which
> part of the church they sit in, if you know what I mean.
>
> Their business, not mine. I had a friend that visited Bankock years ago,
> and he advised a hand expedition before spending money.

I presume it would be reversible, with difficulty. However, you appear
to be confusing gender and sexuality. Somebody who is a heterosexual
male who finds that they have the wrong gender identity will, if they go
through the transition, finish up as a lesbian. That's a slight
over-generalisation - I'd forgotten about yet another TS couple who
started as males who formed a gay relationship, then both were unhappy
as males and underwent gender reassignment (not both at the same time,
one after the other) and are (or at least were, the last I heard) still
in the same relationship. So love trumps all.

Re: telly naming rant.

<wNqdnZBOVdKhFhr_nZ2dnUU7-fHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11141&group=uk.rec.sheds#11141

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 07:36:12 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 20 May 2022 12:36 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:

> So yes if we really do want a culture that's blind to gender except
> where it matters then it starts with baby names and children's clothing. I
> goove a lot of the current explosion in transgender etc. is the result of
> that universal conditioning starting to break down along with the
> realisation (growing since the 1960s) that the traditional gender roles are
> about fitting people into society like cogs into a machine rather than
> fitting society to people like a nurturing blanket (something supportive
> anyway[1]). This is an exploration phase which will eventually lead to a
> very different (but hopefully more human) understanding of gender and frk
> as well as society and people.

A remark I read in some 'history' book or other, a while back :- "In the
1970s women started moving into the workforce in significant numbers".
Obvious, but. (mostly) Workable contraception for as many as will is one
of the biggest social changes ever.

"Conditioning" is still trying to hammer human pegs into 'society''s
holes ; the faster the shape of the holes has to change the more
"tradition" has a problem keeping up, moreorless by definition.

I rememer a conversation with someone who'd given his little daughter
pink kitcheny toys and she loved them, so that proved it was built-in.
Which, thought I, it might have done[1] if he'd also given her
differently coloured boythings and observed that she didn't like them.
But he hadn't...

I'm currently reading H.G. Wells' 'Short history of the world'.
He remarks that in 192something Persia held an election in which women
had the vote. They weren't counted.

[1] Nah. Isolated anecdata, at best.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: telly naming rant.

<20220520142509.7a3c0d84e4bb2aa9963f22f9@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11147&group=uk.rec.sheds#11147

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 14:25:09 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 20 May 2022 13:25 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 07:36:12 -0500
Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:

> I rememer a conversation with someone who'd given his little daughter
> pink kitcheny toys and she loved them, so that proved it was built-in.

There *may* be something built in. My daughter was less than two
years old and in a big toy shop for the first time when she wriggled out of
my arms and charged off with a loud shout of "BABIES!", leaving my wife and
I looking at each other thinking "Where did *that* come from ?", we bowed to
the inevitable and ohled a plastic baby.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: telly naming rant.

<XnsAE9DA72878321Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11149&group=uk.rec.sheds#11149

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 15:25:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Fri, 20 May 2022 15:25 UTC

Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote in

> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>>
>> So yes if we really do want a culture that's blind to gender
>> except
>> where it matters then it starts with baby names and children's
>> clothing. I goove a lot of the current explosion in transgender etc.
>> is the result of that universal conditioning starting to break down
>> along with the realisation (growing since the 1960s) that the
>> traditional gender roles are about fitting people into society like
>> cogs into a machine rather than fitting society to people like a
>> nurturing blanket (something supportive anyway[1]). This is an
>> exploration phase which will eventually lead to a very different (but
>> hopefully more human) understanding of gender and frk as well as
>> society and people.
>
> A remark I read in some 'history' book or other, a while back :- "In
> the 1970s women started moving into the workforce in significant
> numbers". Obvious, but. (mostly) Workable contraception for as many as
> will is one of the biggest social changes ever.
>
> "Conditioning" is still trying to hammer human pegs into 'society''s
> holes ; the faster the shape of the holes has to change the more
> "tradition" has a problem keeping up, moreorless by definition.
>
> I rememer a conversation with someone who'd given his little daughter
> pink kitcheny toys and she loved them, so that proved it was built-in.
> Which, thought I, it might have done[1] if he'd also given her
> differently coloured boythings and observed that she didn't like them.
> But he hadn't...

Until the early 1900's it uster be blue for a girl and pink for a boy -
pink was considered more masculine. Blind bambi what drove the change but
I'll bet it was znexrggvat.

--
Peter
-----

Re: telly naming rant.

<slrnt8fecc.3pu.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11151&group=uk.rec.sheds#11151

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 May 2022 15:53:48 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 20 May 2022 15:53 UTC

On 2022-05-20, Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>>

> I'm currently reading H.G. Wells' 'Short history of the world'.
> He remarks that in 192something Persia held an election in which women
> had the vote. They weren't counted.

Sounds like the last US election..
I don't think Afganistan has had an election since they chased the Yanks
out, but they have restarted hanging drug-dealers after a quick `trial'.
I would vote for that anyday.

> [1] Nah. Isolated anecdata, at best.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Human Life will not end with a `Bang', but with a `D'oh'
Romantic Ireland is done and gone, it's with O'Leary in the grave.

Re: telly naming rant.

<F_RhK.235236$sMg.46435@fx06.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11161&group=uk.rec.sheds#11161

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 20:29:40 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 20 May 2022 19:29 UTC

On 20-May-22 13:36, Richard Robinson wrote:

> A remark I read in some 'history' book or other, a while back :- "In the
> 1970s women started moving into the workforce in significant numbers".
> Obvious, but. (mostly) Workable contraception for as many as will is one
> of the biggest social changes ever.

Which omits the fact that women moved into the workforce in very large
numbers during WWII[1] - but were 'gently' persuaded out again in 1945.

[1] WWI ditto.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: telly naming rant.

<2pCdnVepDsjckBX_nZ2dnUU7-TmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11175&group=uk.rec.sheds#11175

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 16:50:57 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 20 May 2022 21:50 UTC

Peter said:
> Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>>>
>>> So yes if we really do want a culture that's blind to gender
>>> except
>>> where it matters then it starts with baby names and children's
>>> clothing. I goove a lot of the current explosion in transgender etc.
>>> is the result of that universal conditioning starting to break down
>>> along with the realisation (growing since the 1960s) that the
>>> traditional gender roles are about fitting people into society like
>>> cogs into a machine rather than fitting society to people like a
>>> nurturing blanket (something supportive anyway[1]). This is an
>>> exploration phase which will eventually lead to a very different (but
>>> hopefully more human) understanding of gender and frk as well as
>>> society and people.
>>
>> A remark I read in some 'history' book or other, a while back :- "In
>> the 1970s women started moving into the workforce in significant
>> numbers". Obvious, but. (mostly) Workable contraception for as many as
>> will is one of the biggest social changes ever.
>>
>> "Conditioning" is still trying to hammer human pegs into 'society''s
>> holes ; the faster the shape of the holes has to change the more
>> "tradition" has a problem keeping up, moreorless by definition.
>>
>> I rememer a conversation with someone who'd given his little daughter
>> pink kitcheny toys and she loved them, so that proved it was built-in.
>> Which, thought I, it might have done[1] if he'd also given her
>> differently coloured boythings and observed that she didn't like them.
>> But he hadn't...
>
> Until the early 1900's it uster be blue for a girl and pink for a boy -
> pink was considered more masculine. Blind bambi what drove the change but
> I'll bet it was znexrggvat.

"That's our tradition; and if you don't like it we have others ..."

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: telly naming rant.

<XZednZc1VZTskxX_nZ2dnUU7-SPNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11176&group=uk.rec.sheds#11176

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 16:56:01 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 20 May 2022 21:56 UTC

Sam Plusnet said:
> On 20-May-22 13:36, Richard Robinson wrote:
>
>> A remark I read in some 'history' book or other, a while back :- "In the
>> 1970s women started moving into the workforce in significant numbers".
>> Obvious, but. (mostly) Workable contraception for as many as will is one
>> of the biggest social changes ever.
>
> Which omits the fact that women moved into the workforce in very large
> numbers during WWII[1] - but were 'gently' persuaded out again in 1945.
>
> [1] WWI ditto.

Yes. But I don't remember a massive shortage of male jbexers in the
'70s, and I can't see that they've been 'persuaded out' 50 years later.
I think it's here to stay this time.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: telly naming rant.

<XnsAE9E5F240D955Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11184&group=uk.rec.sheds#11184

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:21:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sat, 21 May 2022 08:21 UTC

> "That's our tradition; and if you don't like it we have others ..."

Hoorah! (TFD).
My flavourit saying - I deploy it (in its original form) if someone talks to
me about principles.

--
Peter
-----

Re: telly naming rant.

<jerpnmFaamcU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11186&group=uk.rec.sheds#11186

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 10:29:25 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Sat, 21 May 2022 09:29 UTC

On 20/05/2022 16:53, maus wrote:
> On 2022-05-20, Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:
>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>>
>> I'm currently reading H.G. Wells' 'Short history of the world'.
>> He remarks that in 192something Persia held an election in which women
>> had the vote. They weren't counted.
>
> Sounds like the last US election..
> I don't think Afganistan has had an election since they chased the Yanks
> out, but they have restarted hanging drug-dealers after a quick `trial'.
> I would vote for that anyday.

After the Birmingham Six, Guildford Four, and Maguire Seven, you still
think that capital punishment is a good idea? How do you feel about the
Taliban's execution of opposition, suppression of women, and utter
disregard for human rights?

Re: telly naming rant.

<bTD58IAhcLiiFAgb@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11190&group=uk.rec.sheds#11190

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 10:55:45 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 21 May 2022 09:55 UTC

In article <XnsAE9E5F240D955Factura3476@144.76.35.252>, Peter
<myshed@prune.org.uk> on Sat, 21 May 2022 at 08:21:07 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote in
>

>> "That's our tradition; and if you don't like it we have others ..."
>>

>Hoorah! (TFD).
>My flavourit saying - I deploy it (in its original form) if someone talks to
>me about principles.

Also they are for sale.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: telly naming rant.

<slrnt8hf37.61m.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11191&group=uk.rec.sheds#11191

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 May 2022 10:18:15 GMT
 by: maus - Sat, 21 May 2022 10:18 UTC

On 2022-05-21, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/05/2022 16:53, maus wrote:
>> On 2022-05-20, Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:
>>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>>>
>>> I'm currently reading H.G. Wells' 'Short history of the world'.
>>> He remarks that in 192something Persia held an election in which women
>>> had the vote. They weren't counted.
>>
>> Sounds like the last US election..
>> I don't think Afganistan has had an election since they chased the Yanks
>> out, but they have restarted hanging drug-dealers after a quick `trial'.
>> I would vote for that anyday.
>
> After the Birmingham Six, Guildford Four, and Maguire Seven, you still
> think that capital punishment is a good idea?

What you write is True, What do you think of those who have died from the results of drug
abuse. Far more people have died from drugs in the US over the last year
than the popular diseases, Covid. Sometimes there is a place for the old
crusaders idea of, `Kill them all and let God decide.'

> How do you feel about the
> Taliban's execution of opposition, suppression of women, and utter
> disregard for human rights?

There is a civil war in Afganistan, like in the Ukraine. It was a raw
battle for power. The us was backing the drug dealing side, The people
there have shifted power down a bit, to the village gigras. The same
thing might have to happen in the UK and The republic of I.

England has no option other than Boris, the Labour man is a Blairite.
Who in the North of England will vote for him?.

Same in Ireland, the government here has completely sold out, and the
broad masses will vote for Sinn Fein, who nobody seems to know, or
fears, what they will do when in power down South.

Bah, and humbug, as others say.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Human Life will not end with a `Bang', but with a `D'oh'
Romantic Ireland is done and gone, it's with O'Leary in the grave.

Re: telly naming rant.

<3zNyUXAb3LiiFAH4@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11192&group=uk.rec.sheds#11192

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 11:24:27 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 21 May 2022 10:24 UTC

In article <jerpnmFaamcU1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
<mike@tauzero.co.uk> on Sat, 21 May 2022 at 10:29:25 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>On 20/05/2022 16:53, maus wrote:
>> On 2022-05-20, Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:
>>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>>>
>>> I'm currently reading H.G. Wells' 'Short history of the world'.
>>> He remarks that in 192something Persia held an election in which women
>>> had the vote. They weren't counted.
>>
>> Sounds like the last US election..
>> I don't think Afganistan has had an election since they chased the Yanks
>> out, but they have restarted hanging drug-dealers after a quick `trial'.
>> I would vote for that anyday.

I will stay out of the politics of the recent American General Election.

>After the Birmingham Six, Guildford Four, and Maguire Seven, you still
>think that capital punishment is a good idea? How do you feel about the
>Taliban's execution of opposition, suppression of women, and utter
>disregard for human rights?

Absolutely, if we still had capital punishment then, they would all of
them have hanged. The very idea makes me shudder. There are many
historic cases where completely innocent people were hung. If they were
lucky they receive a posthumous pardon, cold comfort. Once dead it
becomes difficult to get a head of steam towards granting a pardon.

Corruption, racial prejudice, 'something must done', lazy practices to
name a few have been sources of wrongful murder convictions, in recent
years.

I used to have the acquaintance of the man, who along with a number of
others was wrongfully convicted of the murder of a prostitute. The
conviction was based on the confession of an illiterate man, said to
have a mental age of an 11 year old, who signed a confession that he
could not read, after being bullied by the police. They backed this up
with witness statements which were complete fabrications that they had
bullied out of three others. He was lucky he was released after two
years. A totally different person was eventually convicted after DNA
evidence pointed a different set of policemen in a different direction.

Of course my acquaintance was black.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"