(1) Everything depends. (2) Nothing is always. (3) Everything is sometimes.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

SubjectAuthor
* Lee Anderson is quite rightRustyHinge
+- Lee Anderson is quite rightNicholas D. Richards
+* Lee Anderson is quite rightPeter
|`- Lee Anderson is quite rightSam Plusnet
+- Lee Anderson is quite rightAhem A Rivet's Shot
+* Lee Anderson is quite rightBernard Peek

Pages:1234
Lee Anderson is quite right

<t5hbpa$u58$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10442&group=uk.rec.sheds#10442

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Lee Anderson is quite right
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 23:02:17 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 11 May 2022 22:02 UTC

Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
he is spot on.

Standing outside our village store a couple of years ago I heard a girl
of about 15 ask her mother what on earth she wanted plain flour for.

When I was fifteen (in ye olden dayes) *all* girls did at least two
periods of Domestic Science a week, where they learnt to cook.
Unfortunately, this did not apply to us boys.

Howsomedever, to translate the old Gaelic proverb: I was born before my
grandmother died. By the age of six I was competent at making
drop-scones, rock cakes and Scotch pancakes and maybe more (possibly
forgotten during the following 76 years.

By the age of ten I could cook a proper meal, mix the ingredients and
knead dough and bake bread, make butter from top-of-the-milk in a
pop-bottle and know what to use the remaining buttermilk for.

I helped prepare chicken feed from minced oven-dried stale bread, boiled
peelings, dried blood, balancer meal and other left-overs.

At seven, I understood (and put the knowledge into effect) how to bake a
cake without using any rationed ingredients except eggs (we kept hens),
how to salt-down runner beans for the winter and much else.

I also knew what field mushrooms and horse mushrooms looked like (I know
rather more species now!)

We were not well-off but we were never hungry.

This régime applied to my two sisters and brother (all younger than I)
to a greater or lesser extent.

I at least could lay a wood fire and cook potatoes in the embers or a
rabbit on a spit at eight years old (I pooled my pocket-money with a
friend and bought the rabbit for 1/6d. We tried whale meat once because
it was cheaper, but *only* once...

It's not a matter of being Labour or Conservative (other parties are
available), *everybody* should be able to cook from scratch.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<0j+ygLAizLfiFAv0@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10451&group=uk.rec.sheds#10451

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Lee Anderson is quite right
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 08:53:06 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 12 May 2022 07:53 UTC

In article <t5hbpa$u58$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.
girolle.co.uk> on Wed, 11 May 2022 at 23:02:17 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
>he is spot on.
>
>Standing outside our village store a couple of years ago I heard a girl
>of about 15 ask her mother what on earth she wanted plain flour for.
>
>When I was fifteen (in ye olden dayes) *all* girls did at least two
>periods of Domestic Science a week, where they learnt to cook.
>Unfortunately, this did not apply to us boys.
>
>Howsomedever, to translate the old Gaelic proverb: I was born before my
>grandmother died. By the age of six I was competent at making
>drop-scones, rock cakes and Scotch pancakes and maybe more (possibly
>forgotten during the following 76 years.
>
>By the age of ten I could cook a proper meal, mix the ingredients and
>knead dough and bake bread, make butter from top-of-the-milk in a
>pop-bottle and know what to use the remaining buttermilk for.
>
>I helped prepare chicken feed from minced oven-dried stale bread, boiled
>peelings, dried blood, balancer meal and other left-overs.
>
>At seven, I understood (and put the knowledge into effect) how to bake a
>cake without using any rationed ingredients except eggs (we kept hens),
>how to salt-down runner beans for the winter and much else.
>
>I also knew what field mushrooms and horse mushrooms looked like (I know
>rather more species now!)
>
>We were not well-off but we were never hungry.
>
>This régime applied to my two sisters and brother (all younger than I)
>to a greater or lesser extent.
>
>I at least could lay a wood fire and cook potatoes in the embers or a
>rabbit on a spit at eight years old (I pooled my pocket-money with a
>friend and bought the rabbit for 1/6d. We tried whale meat once because
>it was cheaper, but *only* once...
>
>It's not a matter of being Labour or Conservative (other parties are
>available), *everybody* should be able to cook from scratch.

Try cooking a meal, from scratch, for 4, 5, 6, ...... when you are both
at work (to make ends) when you both get home, at 7pm, 8pm .... having
left home 12 hours before. And doing it every day, ad infinitum, with no
end in sight. Besides working all the hours the £Diety gives you, you
are expected to keep children fed and help them to develop as whole
people and assist with their education and so on.

Easy to do things if you have the tuits, the time and cook meals from
scratch.

Yes my Mum did all the things you quote and had time to teach us boys
and girls how to do it, but she did not have to work out of the home
full time, but that was a different time.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<XnsAE95620EBBDB8Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10453&group=uk.rec.sheds#10453

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 08:38:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 12 May 2022 08:38 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in news:t5hbpa$u58$1
@dont-email.me:

> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
> he is spot on.

Yerst, but what he said was, in essence, that being poor is poor people's
own fault because they don't know how to cook so we don't need food banks.
He offerd no evidence for this assertion.

> Standing outside our village store a couple of years ago I heard a girl
> of about 15 ask her mother what on earth she wanted plain flour for.
>
> When I was fifteen (in ye olden dayes) *all* girls did at least two
> periods of Domestic Science a week, where they learnt to cook.
> Unfortunately, this did not apply to us boys.
>
> Howsomedever, to translate the old Gaelic proverb: I was born before my
> grandmother died. By the age of six I was competent at making
> drop-scones, rock cakes and Scotch pancakes and maybe more (possibly
> forgotten during the following 76 years.
>
> By the age of ten I could cook a proper meal, mix the ingredients and
> knead dough and bake bread, make butter from top-of-the-milk in a
> pop-bottle and know what to use the remaining buttermilk for.
>
> I helped prepare chicken feed from minced oven-dried stale bread, boiled
> peelings, dried blood, balancer meal and other left-overs.
>
> At seven, I understood (and put the knowledge into effect) how to bake a
> cake without using any rationed ingredients except eggs (we kept hens),
> how to salt-down runner beans for the winter and much else.
>
> I also knew what field mushrooms and horse mushrooms looked like (I know
> rather more species now!)
>
> We were not well-off but we were never hungry.
>
> This régime applied to my two sisters and brother (all younger than I)
> to a greater or lesser extent.
>
> I at least could lay a wood fire and cook potatoes in the embers or a
> rabbit on a spit at eight years old (I pooled my pocket-money with a
> friend and bought the rabbit for 1/6d. We tried whale meat once because
> it was cheaper, but *only* once...
>
> It's not a matter of being Labour or Conservative (other parties are
> available), *everybody* should be able to cook from scratch.

All of this is my opinion TAAAW, but it's not what the privileged twit
said.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<20220512105743.b8e198a6857ed812645fb227@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10458&group=uk.rec.sheds#10458

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 10:57:43 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 12 May 2022 09:57 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 23:02:17 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
> he is spot on.

Nope, he is well off the mark. It expands to "People could cope
better if they were more competent" which is obviously true but it's victim
blaming.

Anyone who can't make a living is a victim of society, either they
are physically or mentally incapable in which case they need some kind
of supported living or they are too confused by (or lost in) the world to
find a place in it in which case they need help. How well we care for the
victims of society says a lot about how healthy our society is.

This world we have built is not an easy one to live in and the
skills for the world that was are of little use in the world that is.
People in HMOs, families with both parents working and commuting, the
homeless! None of these have both the time and facilities to cook from
scratch and keep leftovers but at least the commuting workers can afford the
alternative.

More to the point if they've reached the point of not being able to
pay for food they are almost certainly behind on everything else - nobody
goes hungry to pay a bill - or perhaps that's just what some are doing
paying all their bills and finding nothing left to eat with.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<slrnt7q66b.8n7.bap@gamma.shrdlu.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10469&group=uk.rec.sheds#10469

From: bap...@shrdlu.com (Bernard Peek)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 12 May 2022 14:25:15 GMT
 by: Bernard Peek - Thu, 12 May 2022 14:25 UTC

On 2022-05-11, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
> he is spot on.

FSVO

It's a long time ago that a 'housewife' was expected to deliver a nutritious
repast when her lord and master returned from the office.

These days pretty much everyone is taught to cook at school. There are some
very good reasons why many people never do it again after they leave. I
suggest that Les Anderson MP joins Jacob Rees-Mogg MP in the 18th century
and takes his condescending drivel with him.

--
Bernard Peek
bap@shrdlu.com

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<gedfK.60$56e6.25@fx34.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10474&group=uk.rec.sheds#10474

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 20:29:15 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 12 May 2022 19:29 UTC

On 12-May-22 9:38, Peter wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in news:t5hbpa$u58$1
> @dont-email.me:
>
>> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
>> he is spot on.
>
> Yerst, but what he said was, in essence, that being poor is poor people's
> own fault because they don't know how to cook so we don't need food banks.
> He offerd no evidence for this assertion.

Add in those people who live in the kind of rented accommodation which
doesn't have much in the way of cooking facilities.
Better places to live, cost more to rent.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<hvsq7httj47nl0bmtct6o51vod13ng5n3f@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10477&group=uk.rec.sheds#10477

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 00:09:08 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 12 May 2022 23:09 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 23:02:17 +0100, RustyHinge
<rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
>he is spot on.
>
>Standing outside our village store a couple of years ago I heard a girl
>of about 15 ask her mother what on earth she wanted plain flour for.
>
>When I was fifteen (in ye olden dayes) *all* girls did at least two
>periods of Domestic Science a week, where they learnt to cook.
>Unfortunately, this did not apply to us boys.
>
>Howsomedever, to translate the old Gaelic proverb: I was born before my
>grandmother died. By the age of six I was competent at making
>drop-scones, rock cakes and Scotch pancakes and maybe more (possibly
>forgotten during the following 76 years.
>
>By the age of ten I could cook a proper meal, mix the ingredients and
>knead dough and bake bread, make butter from top-of-the-milk in a
>pop-bottle and know what to use the remaining buttermilk for.
>
>I helped prepare chicken feed from minced oven-dried stale bread, boiled
>peelings, dried blood, balancer meal and other left-overs.
>
>At seven, I understood (and put the knowledge into effect) how to bake a
>cake without using any rationed ingredients except eggs (we kept hens),
>how to salt-down runner beans for the winter and much else.
>
>I also knew what field mushrooms and horse mushrooms looked like (I know
>rather more species now!)
>
>We were not well-off but we were never hungry.
>
>This régime applied to my two sisters and brother (all younger than I)
>to a greater or lesser extent.
>
>I at least could lay a wood fire and cook potatoes in the embers or a
>rabbit on a spit at eight years old (I pooled my pocket-money with a
>friend and bought the rabbit for 1/6d. We tried whale meat once because
>it was cheaper, but *only* once...
>
>It's not a matter of being Labour or Conservative (other parties are
>available), *everybody* should be able to cook from scratch.

Do I detect echoes of Houseman there? [1]

Or to put it another way, we have to start from where we are not where
we'd like to be but unfortunately where we are is not very nice.

Just a couple of snapshots that still stay with me even though the
events pre-date foodbanks and Universal Credit.

On my days off I was volunteering with the local credit union and we
were using community buildings etc and we'd go around once a week so
that people could pay in their savings (some) pay back installments on
their loans and negotiate new loans (quite a lot). And apart from
always making sure there were enough staff on site that the local loan
sharks wouldn't be able to intimidate us, we learned so much from the
customers themselves and the social services and community staff with
whom we shared the premises and who we got to know well.

The Jesuits say something about giving them the boy and they will give
back the man. Well, some families had been giving back the man - and
the woman - for generation after generation but not in a good way. How
can you blame a teenager or young adult for not making the best of
themselves when all they have known is parents and grandparents who
have never worked and never tried to make the best of them-selves? How
could they have learned to cook at school when they spent so much of
their schooldays truanting? Even supposing there were cooking utensils
in the household. Fining parents for school absence hadn't started
then but what effect does fining the parents have on families who have
got absolutely nothing? Yes, there were outreaches into the community
and yes, SureStart was beginning then but until governments start to
put serious amounts of effort into families like them - and effort
means people, commitment and money - there will always be the
left-behind who can't cope.

I had a side-hustle (as I believe they call it now) doing some field
research - for what was in those days a somewhat less despotic Home
Office - into people and communities and I once found myself working
in the most desolate and abandoned city-centre housing estate that I
have ever seen. I was - as is the way with some randomised research,
looking for whoever lived at No.34b to find out about their life. What
the office didn't know and what I only found out at this stage was the
person at No.34b had been released from hospital into Care in the
Community.

Spoiler alert: there was no care and there was no community. That's
not entirely true of the community part because as soon as I knocked
on their door, a protective neighbour shot out of their house and
demanded to know that I wasn't a loan shark or from the bizzies and as
the afternoon progressed it became clear that, as the city had
abandoned all these folk into these awful, decaying streets, so these
folk had banded together to look after one another. The weak, the
sick, the disabled, the mentally ill: all doing whatever they could
for each other. There was a community after all.

So. I was inside No.34b and the neighbour who had insisted on
remaining with me as a chaperone for the occupant, briefly told me how
the occupant had been released from hospital, given a flat and a
weekly allowance - and after that had been just forgotten about. And
as we talked, I looked around me. I had been invited to sit on the
guest chair, which was an upturned wooden box, while the occupant and
the neighbour sat on the floor. Under the window was a mattress and a
blanket and a couple of supermarket bags pretending to be a wardrobe
because they contained all the occupant's second-hand clothes. And
that was everything he owned. No carpets, no curtains, no cooker.
That. Was. Everything. His neighbours were doing their best to feed
him and look after him whilst at the same time doing their best to
cope with their own lives. I finished, I left, I walked from their
territory until I found myself once again in a familiar street and
then I stopped and I cried.

To get back on topic: I can understand how many people can be unaware
of the destitution that is almost but not quite under our noses - even
though the numbers seem to be growing remorselessly and making them
more difficult to ignore - but that some of our elected
representatives should be so ignorant and behave in such an ignorant
manner is, in my view, despicable.

Nick
[1]Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<je5k4gF2tidU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10479&group=uk.rec.sheds#10479

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 00:38:55 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Thu, 12 May 2022 23:38 UTC

On 11/05/2022 23:02, RustyHinge wrote:
> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
> he is spot on.

I think it's actually because he said you could prepare meals for 30p a
day. Which, if you don't have time to nip out and catch a few rabbits
and dig up the potatoes from your window box and grind your flour from
the grass seed you collect from nearby is sheer bollocks.

He's just an overprivileged Tory phag. And he's wildly out of touch.

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<-fKdnXTLLtZQN-D_nZ2dnUU7-YGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10482&group=uk.rec.sheds#10482

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 19:48:13 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 13 May 2022 00:48 UTC

Bernard Peek said:
> On 2022-05-11, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
>> he is spot on.
>
> FSVO

The BeeblySea reported him as saying it was possible to cook nutritious
meals for 30p a day.

I think he's never had £2.10p in his pocket to keep himself fed on for a
week.

> It's a long time ago that a 'housewife' was expected to deliver a nutritious
> repast when her lord and master returned from the office.

'Her' time was't costed.

> These days pretty much everyone is taught to cook at school.

Is that right ? It'd have been handy if I had.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<-fKdnXfLLtbkMeD_nZ2dnUU7-YGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10483&group=uk.rec.sheds#10483

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 19:55:21 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 13 May 2022 00:55 UTC

Mike Fleming said:
> On 11/05/2022 23:02, RustyHinge wrote:
>> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
>> he is spot on.
>
> I think it's actually because he said you could prepare meals for 30p a
> day. Which, if you don't have time to nip out and catch a few rabbits
> and dig up the potatoes from your window box and grind your flour from
> the grass seed you collect from nearby is sheer bollocks.

By Jove, the proles these days have access to land where they can take
rabbits ? We used to send 'em to Van Diemen's Land for that. Harrrumph!

> He's just an overprivileged Tory phag. And he's wildly out of touch.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<t5l01u$258$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10485&group=uk.rec.sheds#10485

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 08:06:37 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 13 May 2022 07:06 UTC

On 13/05/2022 01:48, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Bernard Peek said:
>> On 2022-05-11, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>>> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
>>> he is spot on.
>>
>> FSVO
>
> The BeeblySea reported him as saying it was possible to cook nutritious
> meals for 30p a day.
>
> I think he's never had £2.10p in his pocket to keep himself fed on for a
> week.
>
>> It's a long time ago that a 'housewife' was expected to deliver a nutritious
>> repast when her lord and master returned from the office.
>
> 'Her' time was't costed.
>
>> These days pretty much everyone is taught to cook at school.
>
> Is that right ? It'd have been handy if I had.

+1 - These days AIUI pretty nearly nobody is taught in school how to cook.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<t5l2bl$h9v$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10486&group=uk.rec.sheds#10486

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 08:45:56 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 13 May 2022 07:45 UTC

On 13/05/2022 00:38, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 23:02, RustyHinge wrote:
>> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook
>> - he is spot on.
>
> I think it's actually because he said you could prepare meals for 30p a
> day. Which, if you don't have time to nip out and catch a few rabbits
> and dig up the potatoes from your window box and grind your flour from
> the grass seed you collect from nearby is sheer bollocks.
>
> He's just an overprivileged Tory phag. And he's wildly out of touch.

30p/day is just silly - and rapidly getting sillier still, but buying
everything processed and/or ready served is piling 'service' costs on
preparation costs on profit on ingredients on cost of ingredients.

While I used to produce my own flour from grain I grew, harvested ,
winnowed, etc, this was when my cash income was about 10p/day, and I had
a hammer mill and a tractor to drive it.

This super-low income was because I couldn't sell my milk products at
the time due to legal bureaucracy, the rabbits ate most of my market
garden crops (and I mitigated this by eating most of the rabbits), as
self-employed I couldn't claim any benefits, *but* nothing stopped me
trading stuff, and I wanted not for dairy and poultry products - in
fact, I had rather a superabundance of good things.

Granted, not everybody on 10p/day is underpinned by 24 acres of class B
land and neighbouring farmers who were pleased to let me shoot rabbits,
pigeons &c on their land, and cut the odd head of kale or stick of
sprouts. Properly made and matured cheeses helped a lot.

Potatoes were easy - a dustbin bag full of compost, sometimes augmented
by stuff from greengrocers' discards, and a few small spuds planted in
holes in the sides usually resulted in a sackful of potatoes in the
summer/autumn,and the best bits of stuff collected from those
greengrocers ostensibly for the goats often supplemented the diet.

I'd do it all again innit

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<20220513085623.f6d7e0ac13ac70b38678e432@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10487&group=uk.rec.sheds#10487

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 08:56:23 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 13 May 2022 07:56 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 19:48:13 -0500
Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:

> The BeeblySea reported him as saying it was possible to cook nutritious
> meals for 30p a day.

He should publish a recipe book - then we could get it criticised
by a nutrition expert.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<XnsAE9662153186DFactura3476@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10491&group=uk.rec.sheds#10491

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 08:38:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Fri, 13 May 2022 08:38 UTC

Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote in

<intersting stuff snipped for brevity>
> So. I was inside No.34b and the neighbour who had insisted on
> remaining with me as a chaperone for the occupant, briefly told me how
> the occupant had been released from hospital, given a flat and a
> weekly allowance - and after that had been just forgotten about. And
> as we talked, I looked around me. I had been invited to sit on the
> guest chair, which was an upturned wooden box, while the occupant and
> the neighbour sat on the floor. Under the window was a mattress and a
> blanket and a couple of supermarket bags pretending to be a wardrobe
> because they contained all the occupant's second-hand clothes. And
> that was everything he owned. No carpets, no curtains, no cooker.
> That. Was. Everything. His neighbours were doing their best to feed
> him and look after him whilst at the same time doing their best to
> cope with their own lives. I finished, I left, I walked from their
> territory until I found myself once again in a familiar street and
> then I stopped and I cried.

In the '50s my father was a teacher in a primary shool in Hume, Manchester.
The stories[1] he brought home were simmilar, though I was too young at the
time to recgnise their importance. (Hume has since been demolished and
rebuilt with accomodation totally unsuitable for young families).

[1]not the only thing he brought home. Mum kept a bottle of de-lousing
fluid handy and instected us regularly.
--
Peter
-----

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<t5l6kj$bva$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10493&group=uk.rec.sheds#10493

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 09:58:58 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 13 May 2022 08:58 UTC

On 13/05/2022 09:38, Peter wrote:
> Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote in
>
> <intersting stuff snipped for brevity>
>> So. I was inside No.34b and the neighbour who had insisted on
>> remaining with me as a chaperone for the occupant, briefly told me how
>> the occupant had been released from hospital, given a flat and a
>> weekly allowance - and after that had been just forgotten about. And
>> as we talked, I looked around me. I had been invited to sit on the
>> guest chair, which was an upturned wooden box, while the occupant and
>> the neighbour sat on the floor. Under the window was a mattress and a
>> blanket and a couple of supermarket bags pretending to be a wardrobe
>> because they contained all the occupant's second-hand clothes. And
>> that was everything he owned. No carpets, no curtains, no cooker.
>> That. Was. Everything. His neighbours were doing their best to feed
>> him and look after him whilst at the same time doing their best to
>> cope with their own lives. I finished, I left, I walked from their
>> territory until I found myself once again in a familiar street and
>> then I stopped and I cried.
>
> In the '50s my father was a teacher in a primary shool in Hume, Manchester.
> The stories[1] he brought home were simmilar, though I was too young at the
> time to recgnise their importance. (Hume has since been demolished and
> rebuilt with accomodation totally unsuitable for young families).
>
> [1]not the only thing he brought home. Mum kept a bottle of de-lousing
> fluid handy and instected us regularly.

de-instected you, Shirley

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<$5FQWtANxhfiFAO4@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10497&group=uk.rec.sheds#10497

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 09:52:29 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 13 May 2022 08:52 UTC

In article <-fKdnXTLLtZQN-D_nZ2dnUU7-YGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 12 May 2022 at 19:48:13 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Bernard Peek said:
>> On 2022-05-11, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>>> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
>>> he is spot on.
>>
>> FSVO
>
>The BeeblySea reported him as saying it was possible to cook nutritious
>meals for 30p a day.
>
>I think he's never had £2.10p in his pocket to keep himself fed on for a
>week.
>
>> It's a long time ago that a 'housewife' was expected to deliver a nutritious
>> repast when her lord and master returned from the office.
>
>'Her' time was't costed.
>
>> These days pretty much everyone is taught to cook at school.
>
>Is that right ? It'd have been handy if I had.

Absolutely. They would not let me do domestic science (cookery) at
school, I had to do mechanical drawing instead.

I was good at it and liked and respected the teacher, however I have
never used the skills learnt, either in my working life or my domestic
life. OTOH, every day, I have to use the skills of domestic science that
I had to learn elsewhere.

Mind yew the domestic science teacher was not liked or respected by the
one boy who was able to slip into her class for a year. Perhaps they let
him in because he had no understanding of Maths; ironically he ended up
teaching remedial Maths, having gained a 2.1 in Economics.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<35NSW7At8hfiFAvm@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10498&group=uk.rec.sheds#10498

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 10:04:45 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 13 May 2022 09:04 UTC

In article <-fKdnXfLLtbkMeD_nZ2dnUU7-YGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 12 May 2022 at 19:55:21 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Mike Fleming said:
>> On 11/05/2022 23:02, RustyHinge wrote:
>>> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>>> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
>>> he is spot on.
>>
>> I think it's actually because he said you could prepare meals for 30p a
>> day. Which, if you don't have time to nip out and catch a few rabbits
>> and dig up the potatoes from your window box and grind your flour from
>> the grass seed you collect from nearby is sheer bollocks.
>
>By Jove, the proles these days have access to land where they can take
>rabbits ? We used to send 'em to Van Diemen's Land for that. Harrrumph!

Yessir (touching forelock). Near where I was brought up there was a
small piece of woodland called Botany Bay Wood. There were no rabbits or
Venison to be had there, by then or now. So maybe you cannot be sent to
Norfolk Island either, on account of there being no rabbits or venison
to be poached.

>> He's just an overprivileged Tory phag. And he's wildly out of touch.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<je6mnlF91hiU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10501&group=uk.rec.sheds#10501

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 10:29:24 +0100
 by: ChrisND@privacy.net - Fri, 13 May 2022 09:29 UTC

On 13/05/2022 09:52, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

> Mind yew the domestic science teacher was not liked or respected by the
> one boy who was able to slip into her class for a year. Perhaps they let
> him in because he had no understanding of Maths; ironically he ended up
> teaching remedial Maths, having gained a 2.1 in Economics.

That makes sense.
I have long suspected that maths and economics are totally unrelated
subjects.

Chris

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<20220513110004.1c674ad89cfbd1501e0783fa@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10505&group=uk.rec.sheds#10505

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 11:00:04 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 13 May 2022 10:00 UTC

On Fri, 13 May 2022 10:29:24 +0100
"ChrisND@privacy.net" <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:

> On 13/05/2022 09:52, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> >
> > Mind yew the domestic science teacher was not liked or respected by the
> > one boy who was able to slip into her class for a year. Perhaps they let
> > him in because he had no understanding of Maths; ironically he ended up
> > teaching remedial Maths, having gained a 2.1 in Economics.
>
> That makes sense.
> I have long suspected that maths and economics are totally unrelated
> subjects.

Q: What is two plus two ?
A(mathematician): Four!
A(scientist): Three point nine six plus or minus point four.
A(economist): What do you need it to be sir ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<t5lcbr$pec$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10506&group=uk.rec.sheds#10506

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 11:36:43 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 13 May 2022 10:36 UTC

On 13/05/2022 00:09, Nick Odell wrote:
> [...]
> the occupant had been released from hospital, given a flat and a
> weekly allowance - and after that had been just forgotten about. And
> as we talked, I looked around me. I had been invited to sit on the
> guest chair, which was an upturned wooden box, while the occupant and
> the neighbour sat on the floor. Under the window was a mattress and a
> blanket and a couple of supermarket bags pretending to be a wardrobe
> because they contained all the occupant's second-hand clothes. And
> that was everything he owned. No carpets, no curtains, no cooker.
> That. Was. Everything. His neighbours were doing their best to feed
> him and look after him whilst at the same time doing their best to
> cope with their own lives. I finished, I left, I walked from their
> territory until I found myself once again in a familiar street and

Heart-rending.

Similar story. There was a street cleaner (not a machine, one of
thosewith a trolly and a brush) (and street drinker (No, he didn't drink
streets. He drank ON the streets) in my home town called Alec (Not the
town). If I needed a driver's mate for a wide load with police escort I
would nick him for a day and pay him in cider.

The council retired him at 65, but gave him a flat. He invited me round.
There was no furniture or possessions whatsoever in it. He was sleeping
on the slats he had taken out of the airing cupboard.

I managed to scrounge some furniture and clothes for him, and that was
the start of the local charity furniture store, in an old Baptist
chapel. (Later it was shut down by 'health & safety' because some of the
upholstered furniture wasn't flameproof.)

Sadly, he was found dead in his new armchair some weeks later.

We insisted on a council funded funeral. We bussed his alky mates down
from the town centre and I led the service. It was quite moving seeing
all these lads singing 'Abide With Me' waving their cider cans in time.

We ended up with his ashes. We sat on his favouirite bench in the Rose
Garden. I asked where we should scatter them. I was told his favourite
spot was 'behind that bush'. So we had a little ceremony and dumped them
there.

Later, back on the bench, someone sighed, amnd said, "Ah well. We can't
go there any more!"

I asked why.

"Because that's where we all used to piss!"

Tone

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<H7O+mfBhVjfiFApM@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10508&group=uk.rec.sheds#10508

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 11:39:29 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 13 May 2022 10:39 UTC

In article <20220513110004.1c674ad89cfbd1501e0783fa@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Fri, 13 May 2022 at 11:00:04 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On Fri, 13 May 2022 10:29:24 +0100
>"ChrisND@privacy.net" <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> On 13/05/2022 09:52, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> >
>> > Mind yew the domestic science teacher was not liked or respected by the
>> > one boy who was able to slip into her class for a year. Perhaps they let
>> > him in because he had no understanding of Maths; ironically he ended up
>> > teaching remedial Maths, having gained a 2.1 in Economics.
>>
>> That makes sense.
>> I have long suspected that maths and economics are totally unrelated
>> subjects.

I suspect that he made a good remedial maths teacher because he
understood why these kids did not get it.

I had real problems helping my children with maths precisely because I
could not see their problem. Being an older father, it did not help that
I had missed a couple of generations of maths teaching styles.

>Q: What is two plus two ?
>A(mathematician): Four!
>A(scientist): Three point nine six plus or minus point four.
>A(economist): What do you need it to be sir ?

A(sociologist): The average (mean, mode or median, does it matter?) of
what ever the crowd says it is.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<t5lctu$u0k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10510&group=uk.rec.sheds#10510

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 11:46:22 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Fri, 13 May 2022 10:46 UTC

On 13/05/2022 11:00, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2022 10:29:24 +0100
> "ChrisND@privacy.net" <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> On 13/05/2022 09:52, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>>
>>> Mind yew the domestic science teacher was not liked or respected by the
>>> one boy who was able to slip into her class for a year. Perhaps they let
>>> him in because he had no understanding of Maths; ironically he ended up
>>> teaching remedial Maths, having gained a 2.1 in Economics.
>>
>> That makes sense.
>> I have long suspected that maths and economics are totally unrelated
>> subjects.
>
> Q: What is two plus two ?
> A(mathematician): Four!
> A(scientist): Three point nine six plus or minus point four.
> A(economist): What do you need it to be sir ?

Why does Astrology still exist?
To make Economics look like a science.

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<je6rjeF9rt1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10511&group=uk.rec.sheds#10511

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 11:52:29 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 13 May 2022 10:52 UTC

On 13/05/2022 08:45, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 13/05/2022 00:38, Mike Fleming wrote:

>> He's just an overprivileged Tory phag. And he's wildly out of touch.

Very true.

> 30p/day is just silly - and rapidly getting sillier still, but buying
> everything processed and/or ready served is piling 'service' costs on
> preparation costs on profit on ingredients on cost of ingredients.

In theory, yes, but cooking for one, I can often buy a ready meal for
less than the ingredients would cost me, especially if I take into
account that I can't buy single portion amounts of many perishable
ingredients.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<je6slhFa163U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10513&group=uk.rec.sheds#10513

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 12:10:40 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Fri, 13 May 2022 11:10 UTC

On 13/05/2022 11:39, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <20220513110004.1c674ad89cfbd1501e0783fa@eircom.net>, Ahem A
> Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Fri, 13 May 2022 at 11:00:04 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>> On Fri, 13 May 2022 10:29:24 +0100

>>> That makes sense.
>>> I have long suspected that maths and economics are totally unrelated
>>> subjects.
>
> I suspect that he made a good remedial maths teacher because he
> understood why these kids did not get it.
>
> I had real problems helping my children with maths precisely because I
> could not see their problem. Being an older father, it did not help that
> I had missed a couple of generations of maths teaching styles.
>>
>> Q: What is two plus two ?
>> A(mathematician): Four!
>> A(scientist): Three point nine six plus or minus point four.
>> A(economist): What do you need it to be sir ?
>>
> A(sociologist): The average (mean, mode or median, does it matter?) of
> what ever the crowd says it is.

A(accountant): Is that for tax purposes?

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<t5leoh$b4i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10514&group=uk.rec.sheds#10514

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 12:17:37 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 13 May 2022 11:17 UTC

On 13/05/2022 11:52, John Williamson wrote:
> On 13/05/2022 08:45, RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 13/05/2022 00:38, Mike Fleming wrote:
>
>>> He's just an overprivileged Tory phag. And he's wildly out of touch.
>
> Very true.
>>
>> 30p/day is just silly - and rapidly getting sillier still, but buying
>> everything processed and/or ready served is piling 'service' costs on
>> preparation costs on profit on ingredients on cost of ingredients.
>>
> In theory, yes, but cooking for one, I can often buy a ready meal for
> less than the ingredients would cost me, especially if I take into
> account that I can't buy single portion amounts of many perishable
> ingredients.

+1

Tone