We'll pivot at warp 2 and bring all tubes to bear, Mr. Sulu!

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Thngs to do with an iMac

SubjectAuthor
* Thngs to do with an iMacKen
+* Re: Thngs to do with an iMacDavid Brooks
|`* Re: Thngs to do with an iMacKen
| `- Re: Thngs to do with an iMacDavid Brooks
+- Re: Thngs to do with an iMacAlan B
+- Re: Thngs to do with an iMacAndy Hewitt
`- Re: Thngs to do with an iMacTheo

1
Thngs to do with an iMac

<il09hh17t7s115147uk5qfjirug8t7fpe1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10461&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10461

From: ken...@birchanger.com (Ken)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Thngs to do with an iMac
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 11:55:17 +0100
 by: Ken - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 10:55 UTC

It's time my 24" early-2009 iMac went to the Genius Bar in the Sky. I
tweaked it a bit: I added a second 4GB of official Apple memory and
later replaced the HDD with a 2TB one, then replaced that with a 1TB
SSD.
I know it could be a useful machine with Linux. I did for a while run
dosdude1's patched MacOS but something wasn't right - it kept freezing
for tens of seconds.
So I have no use for it. It's so old that Safari baulks at most
websites (or vice versa) and many apps (including those comprising
Office) won't run.
It just seems too nice to bin. Any use cases for such a machine? Not
after money, just a good home.

Re: Thngs to do with an iMac

<300RK.4672$NNy7.2325@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10464&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10464

Subject: Re: Thngs to do with an iMac
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 12:31:11 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 11:31 UTC

On 04/09/2022 11:55, Ken wrote:
> It's time my 24" early-2009 iMac went to the Genius Bar in the Sky. I
> tweaked it a bit: I added a second 4GB of official Apple memory and
> later replaced the HDD with a 2TB one, then replaced that with a 1TB
> SSD.
> I know it could be a useful machine with Linux. I did for a while run
> dosdude1's patched MacOS but something wasn't right - it kept freezing
> for tens of seconds.
> So I have no use for it. It's so old that Safari baulks at most
> websites (or vice versa) and many apps (including those comprising
> Office) won't run.
> It just seems too nice to bin. Any use cases for such a machine? Not
> after money, just a good home.

FYI, I have an even older one, running Linux Mint. It works like a dream! 😅

It's sitting side by side with my 27 inch iMac running Monterey Version
12.5.1

Re: Thngs to do with an iMac

<uc39hh52r35vpcca6l2nheo1bcd801ch4j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10466&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10466

From: ken...@birchanger.com (Ken)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 12:37:00 +0100
 by: Ken - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 11:37 UTC

On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 12:31:11 +0100, David Brooks
<David@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 04/09/2022 11:55, Ken wrote:
>> It's time my 24" early-2009 iMac went to the Genius Bar in the Sky. I
>> tweaked it a bit: I added a second 4GB of official Apple memory and
>> later replaced the HDD with a 2TB one, then replaced that with a 1TB
>> SSD.
>> I know it could be a useful machine with Linux. I did for a while run
>> dosdude1's patched MacOS but something wasn't right - it kept freezing
>> for tens of seconds.
>> So I have no use for it. It's so old that Safari baulks at most
>> websites (or vice versa) and many apps (including those comprising
>> Office) won't run.
>> It just seems too nice to bin. Any use cases for such a machine? Not
>> after money, just a good home.
>
>FYI, I have an even older one, running Linux Mint. It works like a dream! ?

I'm sure it does, but I run Mint on a VM. This is taking up space in
my wife's study - and she wants it gone!

>It's sitting side by side with my 27 inch iMac running Monterey Version
>12.5.1

Re: Thngs to do with an iMac

<tf23kf$37lj7$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10469&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10469

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 11:53:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 11:53 UTC

Ken <ken@birchanger.com> wrote:
> It's time my 24" early-2009 iMac went to the Genius Bar in the Sky. I
> tweaked it a bit: I added a second 4GB of official Apple memory and
> later replaced the HDD with a 2TB one, then replaced that with a 1TB
> SSD.
> I know it could be a useful machine with Linux. I did for a while run
> dosdude1's patched MacOS but something wasn't right - it kept freezing
> for tens of seconds.
> So I have no use for it. It's so old that Safari baulks at most
> websites (or vice versa) and many apps (including those comprising
> Office) won't run.
> It just seems too nice to bin. Any use cases for such a machine? Not
> after money, just a good home.

Maybe you can donate it to charity, e.g.

<https://www.computers4charity.org>

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Thngs to do with an iMac

<hn3RK.164630$wLZ8.65104@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10480&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10480

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 16:20:45 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 15:20 UTC

On 04/09/2022 12:37, Ken wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 12:31:11 +0100, David Brooks
> <David@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 04/09/2022 11:55, Ken wrote:
>>> It's time my 24" early-2009 iMac went to the Genius Bar in the Sky. I
>>> tweaked it a bit: I added a second 4GB of official Apple memory and
>>> later replaced the HDD with a 2TB one, then replaced that with a 1TB
>>> SSD.
>>> I know it could be a useful machine with Linux. I did for a while run
>>> dosdude1's patched MacOS but something wasn't right - it kept freezing
>>> for tens of seconds.
>>> So I have no use for it. It's so old that Safari baulks at most
>>> websites (or vice versa) and many apps (including those comprising
>>> Office) won't run.
>>> It just seems too nice to bin. Any use cases for such a machine? Not
>>> after money, just a good home.
>>
>> FYI, I have an even older one, running Linux Mint. It works like a dream! ?
>>

> I'm sure it does, but I run Mint on a VM. This is taking up space in
> my wife's study - and she wants it gone!

Say no more! ;-)

Re: Thngs to do with an iMac

<tf2k5n$396fv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10485&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10485

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 17:36:06 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 16:36 UTC

On 04/09/2022 11:55, Ken wrote:
> It's time my 24" early-2009 iMac went to the Genius Bar in the Sky. I
> tweaked it a bit: I added a second 4GB of official Apple memory and
> later replaced the HDD with a 2TB one, then replaced that with a 1TB
> SSD.
> I know it could be a useful machine with Linux. I did for a while run
> dosdude1's patched MacOS but something wasn't right - it kept freezing
> for tens of seconds.
> So I have no use for it. It's so old that Safari baulks at most
> websites (or vice versa) and many apps (including those comprising
> Office) won't run.
> It just seems too nice to bin. Any use cases for such a machine? Not
> after money, just a good home.

Have you tried OpenCore Legacy Patcher.

It's brought my old 2013 iMac 27" (16GB RAM, and a Crucial 512GB SSD) a
new lease of life for sure. I installed Monterey onto it, and it's
working well, even allowing some of the extra features to work - such as
Universal Control (works fine), and Sidecar (a bit iffy).

Everything else is OK.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/

There are a variety of options if you want to stick with an earlier OS,
but Monterey in running as fast as the last 10.x.x OS did.

The freezing might suggest a dying HDD if you have any attached, I've
seen that happen a few times here, usually I find an increasing
Reallocated Sector count (using DriveDX).

Cheers

--
Andy H

Re: Thngs to do with an iMac

<tXj*PguXy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10488&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10488

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 04 Sep 2022 21:12:23 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 20:12 UTC

Ken <ken@birchanger.com> wrote:
> So I have no use for it. It's so old that Safari baulks at most
> websites (or vice versa) and many apps (including those comprising
> Office) won't run.
> It just seems too nice to bin. Any use cases for such a machine? Not
> after money, just a good home.

It seems like it doesn't support Target Display Mode, but it is possible to
pull the motherboard and fit a conversion board to turn it into a monitor:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2009-imac-conversion-to-monitor-help.2231058/
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/117066/Can+I+Mod+an+early+2009+24%22+iMac+to+external+monitor

However the question is then who wants a 1920x1200 24" display. It seems
like a decent display for its time, but whether it's worth investing in the
extra parts and time to do the conversion is another thing.

Theo