There's enough money here to buy 5000 cans of Noodle-Roni!

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)

SubjectAuthor
* Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
+* Re: Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)Jaimie Vandenbergh
|`- Re: Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
`* Re: Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)Russell Marks
 `- Re: Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)Jaimie Vandenbergh

1
Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)

<Aeadnb3tuaN4uIf8nZ2dnUU7-cfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1049&group=uk.games.video.misc#1049

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 03:46:29 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 08:46 UTC

So what's bigger news this week, the fall of Kabul or Britney Spears
finally having full control over her fniancnes?

Play:
--=--

Nothing (RL) - Nobody cares that I just got a new professional
certification, but it does mean I spent a lot of time napping over the
weekend. It's absurd that using your brain should create so much fatigue.
Although that might explain why some people seem to have so much energy by
comparison.

Want:
--=--

Dexter's Laboratory Robot Rampage (GBC) - This is a notable reskin-slash-
sprite-substitution of one of the EU-exclusive Elevator Action games. I've
had my eye on a copy but I've been holding out to see if I can find one
with a box and a manual. I have thusfar been unable to find a copy with a
box and a manual.

Animal Kingdom Wildlife Expedition (Wii) - This might be a similar type of
reskin of the PS3 title Afrika, where you go about photographing animals
in a completely boring and non-violent gameplay loop. Nobody on the
Internet seems to have ever owned both to compare them though, so here I
go making it my job to gather that information.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $3,479

Dexter's Laboratory Robot Rampage (GBC) - $8
Jarret and Labonte Stock Car Racing (PSX) - $6
Hello Kitty Seasons (Wii) - $5
Tourist Trophy (PS2) - $4
Geometry Wars Galaxies (Wii) - $7
Animal Kingdom Wildlife Expedition (Wii) - $8
Capcom Classics Volume 2 (PS2) - $25

Total year-to-date - $3,532

-KKC, who needs to go tell Gary about this awesome Hello Kitty game.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @

Re: Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)

<io04pvFi7vpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1050&group=uk.games.video.misc#1050

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)
Date: 16 Aug 2021 21:48:47 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 21:48 UTC

On 16 Aug 2021 at 09:46:29 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> So what's bigger news this week, the fall of Kabul or Britney Spears
> finally having full control over her fniancnes?

Leave Britney alone!

> Play:
> --=--
>
> Nothing (RL) - Nobody cares that I just got a new professional
> certification, but it does mean I spent a lot of time napping over the
> weekend. It's absurd that using your brain should create so much fatigue.
> Although that might explain why some people seem to have so much energy by
> comparison.

.... how had that never occurred to me? Mind you, my physiology has such
intrinsic genius that I can be tired all the time *and* not be able to
think too.

Same play set as last week!

Katrielle Layton (Switch) - solved another case. I'm starting to wonder
if it's just about to start an overarching story, or going to just be a
tease about it.

Breath of the Wild (WiiU->CEMU/PC) - Got the master sword! Did the first
round of master trials... without it. What? How does that make sense?
Anyway, dropped naked into a bokoblin encampment I managed to steal a
weapon and survive. So that was nice.

You Must Build A Boat (iThings) - got the masts.

Neko Atsume (iThings) - I'm in denial about the name change to Cat
Collector. Collected some more cats though.

> Want:
> --=--

To wake up without being functionally dead tomorrow. Just had a very
busy weekend where I had to be both sociable *and* clever, sometimes
simultaneously. And also did 12 hours of driving. If I'm okay, I'd like
to play some Beat Saber.

> Bin:
> -==-

Beat Saber not having a plugin architecture. There's a flourishing mod
ecosystem, but they need to be binary patched in which means every
bugfix release of the main beatsaber.exe fucks your mods until the
community identifies the new patch addresses, and in some cases updates
the mods. So availability of the 'normal' modded experience is a
sawtooth - new patch drops it to zero, then it goes up and up, then a
new patch again.

The Beat Saber team are unofficially mod friendly, so they try hard not
to break things any more than necessary, but their lords and masters
(Facebook bought them as a killer app team for the Oculus) won't let
them make it official because of media contracts. Mods don't
*intrinsically* mean that users will add many thousands of ripped-off
music tracks to their game, but practically yes, yes they do. So, no
plugin architecture.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's a scavenger hunt.

Re: Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)

<4aydnR3kCpXVdIf8nZ2dnUU7-d2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1051&group=uk.games.video.misc#1051

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 17:40:08 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 22:40 UTC

In article <io04pvFi7vpU1@mid.individual.net>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>On 16 Aug 2021 at 09:46:29 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
><kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>

>> So what's bigger news this week, the fall of Kabul or Britney Spears
>> finally having full control over her fniancnes?
>
>Leave Britney alone!

I would if only I could spell at four in the morning.

>> Play:
>> --=--
>>
>> Nothing (RL) - Nobody cares that I just got a new professional
>> certification, but it does mean I spent a lot of time napping over the
>> weekend. It's absurd that using your brain should create so much fatigue.
>> Although that might explain why some people seem to have so much energy by
>> comparison.
>
>... how had that never occurred to me? Mind you, my physiology has such
>intrinsic genius that I can be tired all the time *and* not be able to
>think too.

Not to go too far off topic, but this is the only non-technical cert I've
ever attempted. None of the subject matter came naturally to me, but it's
illogical all that memorisation would require the same amount of calories
as a brisk run or a half day of gardening.

>> Want:
>> --=--
>
>To wake up without being functionally dead tomorrow. Just had a very
>busy weekend where I had to be both sociable *and* clever, sometimes
>simultaneously. And also did 12 hours of driving. If I'm okay, I'd like
>to play some Beat Saber.

If COVID continues unabated then I genuinely look forward to several years
of having a perfectly valid excuse for telling everybody to sod off and
leave me alone. Win!

-KKC, who probably needs to replace a refrigerator now.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @
don't trust anyone. You're used to getting smacked around, | io-nyc
and you never get homesick." - Michael Westen, /Burn Notice/ | .com

Re: Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)

<MxNSI.3160081$N5n7.3028827@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1052&group=uk.games.video.misc#1052

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 12:00:44 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 12:00 UTC

> Play:

Oekaki Puzzle (PS1) - a bit more of this.

> Want:

To try the current Nethack release somewhen, it's been a good five
years since I last played. I remember it being a bit hard last time
though, and I doubt it's any easier now.

> Bin:

nethack.alt.org apparently removing Nethack 3.4.3, which will probably
always feel like "proper" Nethack to me just because that was the
current version for years IIRC. Probably removed due to security
considerations, or nobody playing it any more, or something boring and
sensible like that.

-Rus.

Re: Hard Choices Play Want Bin (PWBE 16 Aug 2021)

<io1vdqFst93U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1053&group=uk.games.video.misc#1053

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 17 Aug 2021 14:29:14 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 14:29 UTC

On 17 Aug 2021 at 13:00:44 BST, "Russell Marks"
<zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:

>> Bin:
>
> nethack.alt.org apparently removing Nethack 3.4.3, which will probably
> always feel like "proper" Nethack to me just because that was the
> current version for years IIRC. Probably removed due to security
> considerations, or nobody playing it any more, or something boring and
> sensible like that.

Oh, that's a bit sad. Not sure if my memory is really correct, but it
seems like it was the current primary version basically from when I
discovered Nethack.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
The square root of rope is string. -- Core 3, Valve