From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: TomTom query
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:20:21 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:20 UTC

When I was on holiday we were staying at a farm cottage, well off the
road network. I set up the location using grid reference instead. This
worked fine for getting to the cottage, correctly showing all the
tracks and minor roads. However, it would not set up any route (using
the postcode) until we reached the main road and did not show the
tracks. Any ideas what was going on?

Re: TomTom query

<666458215.717329864.067464.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104884&group=uk.d-i-y#104884

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: TomTom query
Date: 25 Sep 2023 10:19:17 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:19 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> When I was on holiday we were staying at a farm cottage, well off the
> road network. I set up the location using grid reference instead. This
> worked fine for getting to the cottage, correctly showing all the
> tracks and minor roads. However, it would not set up any route (using
> the postcode) until we reached the main road and did not show the
> tracks. Any ideas what was going on?

Postcodes in rural areas can encompass a huge area so are of little use
when trying to navigate to rural addresses. (Or have I misunderstood your
question?)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: TomTom query

<mbr2hidp07sku3kqsbqincap3r8vhsni27@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104893&group=uk.d-i-y#104893

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 12:24:58 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 11:24 UTC

On 25 Sep 2023 10:19:17 GMT, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> When I was on holiday we were staying at a farm cottage, well off the
>> road network. I set up the location using grid reference instead. This
>> worked fine for getting to the cottage, correctly showing all the
>> tracks and minor roads. However, it would not set up any route (using
>> the postcode) until we reached the main road and did not show the
>> tracks. Any ideas what was going on?
>>
>Postcodes in rural areas can encompass a huge area so are of little use
>when trying to navigate to rural addresses. (Or have I misunderstood your
>question?)

Unfortunately, yes. It found the address without difficulty using the
grid reference instead of the postcode. However, parked at the address
it would not accept any postcode to plan a destination. It showed a
level of detail on the way in that was missing on the way out.

Re: TomTom query

<ueujk0$2gjeq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104993&group=uk.d-i-y#104993

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:42:37 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:42 UTC

Perhaps one was for ramblers and the other for drivers?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> When I was on holiday we were staying at a farm cottage, well off the
> road network. I set up the location using grid reference instead. This
> worked fine for getting to the cottage, correctly showing all the
> tracks and minor roads. However, it would not set up any route (using
> the postcode) until we reached the main road and did not show the
> tracks. Any ideas what was going on?

Re: TomTom query

<vfq5hi502m64uj0keahl3bfs4ckni6rl6p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105003&group=uk.d-i-y#105003

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 15:27:56 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:27 UTC

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 12:24:58 +0100, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On 25 Sep 2023 10:19:17 GMT, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>> When I was on holiday we were staying at a farm cottage, well off the
>>> road network. I set up the location using grid reference instead. This
>>> worked fine for getting to the cottage, correctly showing all the
>>> tracks and minor roads. However, it would not set up any route (using
>>> the postcode) until we reached the main road and did not show the
>>> tracks. Any ideas what was going on?
>>>
>>Postcodes in rural areas can encompass a huge area so are of little use
>>when trying to navigate to rural addresses. (Or have I misunderstood your
>>question?)
>
>Unfortunately, yes. It found the address without difficulty using the
>grid reference instead of the postcode. However, parked at the address
>it would not accept any postcode to plan a destination. It showed a
>level of detail on the way in that was missing on the way out.

No help with your TomTom but when I'm at a location that's off Post
Code the car's satnav just draws a straight line to the nearest road
that it knows about when I plot a route out.

Re: TomTom query

<i5r5hipsqmnepn784vvmjcrbmk8mab8m16@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105005&group=uk.d-i-y#105005

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 15:40:38 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:40 UTC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 15:27:56 +0100, Peter Johnson
<peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 12:24:58 +0100, Scott
><newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Postcodes in rural areas can encompass a huge area so are of little use
>>>when trying to navigate to rural addresses. (Or have I misunderstood your
>>>question?)
>>
>>Unfortunately, yes. It found the address without difficulty using the
>>grid reference instead of the postcode. However, parked at the address
>>it would not accept any postcode to plan a destination. It showed a
>>level of detail on the way in that was missing on the way out.
>
>No help with your TomTom but when I'm at a location that's off Post
>Code the car's satnav just draws a straight line to the nearest road
>that it knows about when I plot a route out.

This was what I expected but it showed the lanes and farm tracks on
the way to the destination but not when leaving the destination. I
wonder if it needs two postcodes to plan a route? I assumed it would
locate itself then plan a route to the destination postcode. We were
both puzzled.