If this fortune didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Large plant tubs and squirrels

SubjectAuthor
* Large plant tubs and squirrelspinnerite
+* Re: Large plant tubs and squirrelsRobH
|+- Re: Large plant tubs and squirrelsPaul
|`* Re: Large plant tubs and squirrelsIan Jackson
| `- Re: Large plant tubs and squirrelspinnerite
+* Re: Large plant tubs and squirrelsBrian Gaff
|`- Re: Large plant tubs and squirrelsJohn J
`- Re: Large plant tubs and squirrelsAndrew

1
Large plant tubs and squirrels

<20230926175934.78b0aa7a5b155eb4ad68f445@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105017&group=uk.d-i-y#105017

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Large plant tubs and squirrels
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 17:59:34 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:59 UTC

Every night the local squirrels that seemed only to have reappeared
during the last two weeks, have been digging in the soil of every tub
every night and making a bloody mess.

Are there successful solutions?

TIA

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-84-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Large plant tubs and squirrels

<kngkb5Fjrh5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105026&group=uk.d-i-y#105026

From: rob...@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Large plant tubs and squirrels
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:56:53 +0100
 by: RobH - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 17:56 UTC

On 26/09/2023 17:59, pinnerite wrote:
> Every night the local squirrels that seemed only to have reappeared
> during the last two weeks, have been digging in the soil of every tub
> every night and making a bloody mess.
>
> Are there successful solutions?
>
> TIA
>
> Alan

I use wire netting on my pots to stop them, It's not pretty, but it works.

Re: Large plant tubs and squirrels

<uev8mg$2kpae$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105031&group=uk.d-i-y#105031

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:42:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:42 UTC

On 9/26/2023 1:56 PM, RobH wrote:
> On 26/09/2023 17:59, pinnerite wrote:
>> Every night the local squirrels that seemed only to have reappeared
>> during the last two weeks, have been digging in the soil of every tub
>> every night and making a bloody mess.
>>
>> Are there successful solutions?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Alan
>>
> I use wire netting on my pots to stop them, It's not pretty, but it works.

"Hardware Cloth"

I placed a piece of 1/4" mesh hardware cloth over a decoration
out front of the house, to prevent rabbits from having
families on top of it (two families so far).

It seems any "feature" you put on a property, must be
properly explored by the animal kingdom, for the opportunities
it offers.

*******

A squirrel "recognizes" fresh digging, as a sign another squirrel
has buried food there. It is considered proper etiquette for
squirrels, to dig up another guys stash, move a few feet, dig
another hole, and bury it. The squirrels memorize where they
put the stuff, then go back when they're hungry later in the
year, and dig it up again.

If you did not use hardware cloth, you would need a means of
disguising the "look of fresh digging", so no squirrel will
use "squirrel math" to figure out what to do. An untampered
piece of ground, will still receive random examination for
food sources, but not a lot of theft activity.

It's both the "flatness" of the ground and the "colour" that
matters. If you tamp down a fresh dig... that's not good enough
to fool a squirrel. The change in ground colour, the squirrel
knows there are nuts under there, to be stolen. The hardware cloth
costs money, but at least it's a mechanical barrier.

Each hole does not receive multiple items. You might find
a single acorn in a hole. Or, an unshelled peanut (when the
neighbours feed such stuff to the animals). A squirrel "leaf home"
holds more items, but I've not examined one to see how they're furnished.
(Little squirrel sofa, little squirrel TV set.)

Paul

Re: Large plant tubs and squirrels

<bwqcBxCVO9ElFwfX@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105055&group=uk.d-i-y#105055

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 08:02:45 +0100
 by: Ian Jackson - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 07:02 UTC

In message <kngkb5Fjrh5U1@mid.individual.net>, RobH <rob@nospam.com>
writes
>On 26/09/2023 17:59, pinnerite wrote:
>> Every night the local squirrels that seemed only to have reappeared
>> during the last two weeks, have been digging in the soil of every tub
>> every night and making a bloody mess.
>> Are there successful solutions?
>> TIA
>> Alan
>>
>I use wire netting on my pots to stop them, It's not pretty, but it
>works.

Bury a few holly leaves just below the surface of the soil. You don't
need to do it to every pot. The squirrels soon get the message.
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: Large plant tubs and squirrels

<uf1k60$35ors$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105098&group=uk.d-i-y#105098

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 17:10:37 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:10 UTC

I guess you could trap them and go for a drive ten miles way, and release
them there.
They are rodents of course, and will eat most things even electrical wiring
as I found to my cost some years ago on an out door mains cable to a shed.
No dead squirrels though, but there were a lot about around that time. Not
seen, or should I say, heard any for some time.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"pinnerite" <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Every night the local squirrels that seemed only to have reappeared
> during the last two weeks, have been digging in the soil of every tub
> every night and making a bloody mess.
>
> Are there successful solutions?
>
> TIA
>
> Alan
>
> --
> Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-84-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
> AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Large plant tubs and squirrels

<uf3u6m$3mo2n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105156&group=uk.d-i-y#105156

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 14:13:58 +0100
 by: Andrew - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 13:13 UTC

On 26/09/2023 17:59, pinnerite wrote:
> Every night the local squirrels that seemed only to have reappeared
> during the last two weeks, have been digging in the soil of every tub
> every night and making a bloody mess.
>
> Are there successful solutions?
>
> TIA
>
> Alan

get a pine marten as a pet.

Re: Large plant tubs and squirrels

<20230929104356.049e491f51f0cd702a157e10@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105210&group=uk.d-i-y#105210

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 10:43:56 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 09:43 UTC

On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 08:02:45 +0100
Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <kngkb5Fjrh5U1@mid.individual.net>, RobH <rob@nospam.com>
> writes
> >On 26/09/2023 17:59, pinnerite wrote:
> >> Every night the local squirrels that seemed only to have reappeared
> >> during the last two weeks, have been digging in the soil of every tub
> >> every night and making a bloody mess.
> >> Are there successful solutions?
> >> TIA
> >> Alan
> >>
> >I use wire netting on my pots to stop them, It's not pretty, but it
> >works.
>
> Bury a few holly leaves just below the surface of the soil. You don't
> need to do it to every pot. The squirrels soon get the message.
> --

I don't have holly but I something else with prickly leaves.
The first night they disturbed everything but no mess.
Since then, nothing.
Brilliant solution. Thank you.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-84-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Large plant tubs and squirrels

<be0ac371-4b4e-4a4f-8648-e80d8adee263n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105350&group=uk.d-i-y#105350

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 08:44:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 15:44 UTC

On Wednesday, 27 September 2023 at 17:10:47 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I guess you could trap them and go for a drive ten miles way, and release
> them there.
> They are rodents of course, and will eat most things even electrical wiring
> as I found to my cost some years ago on an out door mains cable to a shed.
> No dead squirrels though, but there were a lot about around that time. Not
> seen, or should I say, heard any for some time.
> Brian
>
> --
>
> --:
> This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
> bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
> Blind user, so no pictures please
> Note this Signature is meaningless.!
> "pinnerite" <pinn...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Every night the local squirrels that seemed only to have reappeared
> > during the last two weeks, have been digging in the soil of every tub
> > every night and making a bloody mess.
> >
> > Are there successful solutions?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Alan
> >
> > --
> > Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-84-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
> > AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda
I don't expect a BSA underlever Airsporter would help Brian but it can be extremely effective.