From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Removing tinted plasic film from car windows?
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 13:35:05 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 02:35 UTC

On 28/01/2022 12:10 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
> I had mine done years ago and the film is starting to wrinkle.
>
> How do you get this stuff off?

**Clothes steamer. I bought mine from Aldi, when it was on special.
Dunno how much. Maybe $50.00. Worked a treat, then sold it on Gumtree
for $30.00. MUCH cheaper than I was quoted by a pro. The whole job took
about 30 minutes.

Re: Removing tinted plasic film from car windows?

<j5hpt4FqrtrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10562&group=aus.cars#10562

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 20:04:34 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:04 UTC

On 28/01/2022 2:10 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 13:35:05 +1100, Trevor Wilson
> <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On 28/01/2022 12:10 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
>>> I had mine done years ago and the film is starting to wrinkle.
>>>
>>> How do you get this stuff off?
>>
>> **Clothes steamer. I bought mine from Aldi, when it was on special.
>> Dunno how much. Maybe $50.00. Worked a treat, then sold it on Gumtree
>> for $30.00. MUCH cheaper than I was quoted by a pro. The whole job took
>> about 30 minutes.
>
> I used to have such a steamer but a customer ran off with it. I'll
> see if I can borrow one.

**I started removing the stuff manually, but quickly realised that
damage to the rear window demister was highly likely. AND, the job would
have taken hours. And it was proving to be fucking messy (tiny bits of
plastic EVERYWHERE) I Googled it and a huge number of hits came up with
the steamer idea. The stuff literally fell off in large sheets.
Bugger-all mess and the job was quick. Zero damage to the demister. Use
a steamer. You won't be sorry. Kartcher have a steamer that might work.

Re: Removing tinted plasic film from car windows?

<st0pvj$j5h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10566&group=aus.cars#10566

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 21:10:02 +0800
 by: Clocky - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 13:10 UTC

On 28/01/2022 5:04 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 28/01/2022 2:10 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 13:35:05 +1100, Trevor Wilson
>> <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>>> **Clothes steamer. I bought mine from Aldi, when it was on special.
>>> Dunno how much. Maybe $50.00. Worked a treat, then sold it on Gumtree
>>> for $30.00. MUCH cheaper than I was quoted by a pro. The whole job took
>>> about 30 minutes.
>>
>> I used to have such a steamer but a customer ran off with it.  I'll
>> see if I can borrow one.
>
> **I started removing the stuff manually, but quickly realised that
> damage to the rear window demister was highly likely. AND, the job would
> have taken hours. And it was proving to be fucking messy (tiny bits of
> plastic EVERYWHERE) I Googled it and a huge number of hits came up with
> the steamer idea. The stuff literally fell off in large sheets.
> Bugger-all mess and the job was quick. Zero damage to the demister. Use
> a steamer. You won't be sorry. Kartcher have a steamer that might work.

Steaming works a treat *but* it depends on the state of the glue/tint.
If it is really bad it won't come off in large sheets at all. I only
ended up using the steam on the rear window with the demister but on the
other windows steam had no real effect and it was actually quicker and
easier to just use the scraper and there was no damage to the glass at
all. It only took half an hour to remove all the tint from the windows
and probably that long again using a shitload of steam for the rear
window with the demister so as not to damage it.