From: correspo...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com (Martin S Taylor)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Opening a Disk Image
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 11:36:20 +0100
 by: Martin S Taylor - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 10:36 UTC

I tried to open a Disk Image file, and it wouldn't open. I tried all kinds of
apps (including Disk Utility and Disk Image Mounter, obviously) but nothing
would mount it. So I tried opening it on a machine running Mojave, and it
opened without any problem.

I didn't know this was a thing. How to tell which disks won't mount under
Monterey, so that I can convert them before the older system is gone for
ever?

Martin S Taylor

Re: Opening a Disk Image

<tfa7ru$21ki$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10544&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10544

From: rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Opening a Disk Image
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 13:55:10 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 13:55 UTC

In article <0001HW.28C8ABA4002D403E70000BF3338F@news.eternal-september.org>,
Martin S Taylor <correspondence@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:
>I tried to open a Disk Image file, and it wouldn't open. I tried all kinds of
>apps (including Disk Utility and Disk Image Mounter, obviously) but nothing
>would mount it. So I tried opening it on a machine running Mojave, and it
>opened without any problem.

Odd. What does the "file" command say about it, e.g.

$ file rr2.dmg

rr2.dmg: DOS/MBR boot sector, code offset 0x34+2, OEM-ID "MSDOS3.3", sectors/cluster 2, root entries 112, sectors 1440 (volumes <=32 MB), Media descriptor 0xf9, sectors/FAT 3, sectors/track 9, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0), FAT (12 bit by descriptor), followed by FAT

-- Richard

Re: Opening a Disk Image

<jnrq0gFoaf1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10546&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10546

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 7 Sep 2022 15:00:32 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:00 UTC

On 7 Sep 2022 at 11:36:20 BST, "Martin S Taylor"
<correspondence@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

> I tried to open a Disk Image file, and it wouldn't open. I tried all kinds of
> apps (including Disk Utility and Disk Image Mounter, obviously) but nothing
> would mount it. So I tried opening it on a machine running Mojave, and it
> opened without any problem.
>
> I didn't know this was a thing. How to tell which disks won't mount under
> Monterey, so that I can convert them before the older system is gone for
> ever?
>
> Martin S Taylor

I'd expect that to mean it's damaged in a way that Monterey refuses to
touch for safety reasons, rather than it being intentionally in a
changed format.

What results do you get in Disk Utility if you go to Images/Verify and
scan the dmg?

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I love children, especially when they cry, for then someone takes them away.
-- Nancy Mitford

Re: Opening a Disk Image

<jnrq2sFoao2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10547&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10547

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 7 Sep 2022 15:01:48 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:01 UTC

On 7 Sep 2022 at 16:00:32 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 7 Sep 2022 at 11:36:20 BST, "Martin S Taylor"
> <correspondence@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried to open a Disk Image file, and it wouldn't open. I tried all kinds of
>> apps (including Disk Utility and Disk Image Mounter, obviously) but nothing
>> would mount it. So I tried opening it on a machine running Mojave, and it
>> opened without any problem.
>>
>> I didn't know this was a thing. How to tell which disks won't mount under
>> Monterey, so that I can convert them before the older system is gone for
>> ever?
>>
>> Martin S Taylor
>
> I'd expect that to mean it's damaged in a way that Monterey refuses to
> touch for safety reasons,

Oh - unpacking that a bit: there was a flap some years ago about
intentionally malformed .dmgs being used as a stack-breaking attack
vector. Double-click to pwn type thing. Yours may not be intentionally
malformed, but hitting the same protective measures.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
'It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? `I protect the
lives and property of my citizens; you keep the public

Re: Opening a Disk Image

<tfb6u5$2k3p$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10559&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10559

From: rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 22:45:25 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 22:45 UTC

In article <jnrq0gFoaf1U1@mid.individual.net>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>I'd expect that to mean it's damaged in a way that Monterey refuses to
>touch for safety reasons, rather than it being intentionally in a
>changed format.

Surely it would display an error message in that case? Especially if
it's a possible attack - otherwise the user is likely (as we've seen)
to copy it to another computer.

-- Richard

Re: Opening a Disk Image

<jnu2pfF4p48U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10565&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10565

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 8 Sep 2022 11:42:39 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 11:42 UTC

On 7 Sep 2022 at 23:45:25 BST, "Richard Tobin" <Richard Tobin> wrote:

> In article <jnrq0gFoaf1U1@mid.individual.net>,
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd expect that to mean it's damaged in a way that Monterey refuses to
>> touch for safety reasons, rather than it being intentionally in a
>> changed format.
>
> Surely it would display an error message in that case?

Well, Apple. You know. The ones who made the macOS system logs almost
impossible for human users to read for issue analysis.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we don't
-- Bjarne Stroustrup