This fortune was brought to you by the people at Hewlett-Packard.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

SubjectAuthor
* Lee Anderson is quite rightRustyHinge
+- Lee Anderson is quite rightNicholas D. Richards
+* Lee Anderson is quite rightPeter
|`- Lee Anderson is quite rightSam Plusnet
+- Lee Anderson is quite rightAhem A Rivet's Shot
+* Lee Anderson is quite rightBernard Peek

Pages:1234
Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<20220513131607.9a741ceb379a0d82d3a43557@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10517&group=uk.rec.sheds#10517

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Lee Anderson is quite right
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 13:16:07 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 13 May 2022 12:16 UTC

On Fri, 13 May 2022 08:45:56 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> 30p/day is just silly - and rapidly getting sillier still, but buying
> everything processed and/or ready served is piling 'service' costs on
> preparation costs on profit on ingredients on cost of ingredients.

It seems that way and the same seems to apply to any manufactured
item (yes a packaged meal is a manufactured item) but it's almost
impossible to find anything that you can molish for less than you can ohl
it.

Bulk buying means the packaged food factory cnls less than the
horriblemarket for the ingredients (and a heap of a lot less than we do).
The factory also wastes less food than the horriblemarket because they know
exactly how much they use per day reducing the ingredient cost even
further. Some of the preparation is automated at least partially and of
course cooking in huge batches is very efficient. Once in the
horriblemarket the packaged meals keep a lot better than the ingredients so
less waste.

The end result is that the retail price of a packaged meal is only
marginally more (or perhaps less) than the cost of the ingredients in it
would be if only you could ohl them in the right quantities and less when
you allow for the electrickery and wastage - far less if you allow for the
time.

I usually cook things in bulk and freeze portions which is
perhaps marginally purncr than frozen packaged meals even when you throw in
the electrickery but does produce much better food. This only jbexes if you
have the freezer space and time for it.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<E87O32B1ckfiFA4R@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10520&group=uk.rec.sheds#10520

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 12:55:33 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 13 May 2022 11:55 UTC

In article <je6rjeF9rt1U1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Fri, 13 May 2022 at 11:52:29 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 13/05/2022 08:45, RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 13/05/2022 00:38, Mike Fleming wrote:
>
>>> He's just an overprivileged Tory phag. And he's wildly out of touch.
>
>Very true.
>>
>> 30p/day is just silly - and rapidly getting sillier still, but buying
>> everything processed and/or ready served is piling 'service' costs on
>> preparation costs on profit on ingredients on cost of ingredients.
>>
>In theory, yes, but cooking for one, I can often buy a ready meal for
>less than the ingredients would cost me, especially if I take into
>account that I can't buy single portion amounts of many perishable
>ingredients.

Very true and can be laid at the door of horrible markets. You useter be
able to get a few rashers of freshly sliced real bacon (rind on) at the
thickness you wanted. Now no rind, mostly water, no fat or rind and
sliced so thin, that sideways on you might miss it and an inconvenient
amount. I have a working refrigerator, but for those that do not how do
you keep it.

A butcher would cut a pork chop the thickness you wanted. Now you have
too buy pack of at least two where each chop is (in the case of pork) is
more than enough for two.

Grapes are often no longer sold loose. So you cannot tell if they are
nice (they are bred for shelf life) and you are often left with soft
mouldering inedible grapes. I am not suggesting you try apples before
you buy, but buy six and they go soft and soggy before consumption.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<feos7h10vmnv3vmrtm72csjrjd72q36o32@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10521&group=uk.rec.sheds#10521

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 15:07:00 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 13 May 2022 14:07 UTC

On Fri, 13 May 2022 00:38:55 +0100, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 11/05/2022 23:02, RustyHinge wrote:
>> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
>> he is spot on.
>
>I think it's actually because he said you could prepare meals for 30p a
>day. Which, if you don't have time to nip out and catch a few rabbits
>and dig up the potatoes from your window box and grind your flour from
>the grass seed you collect from nearby is sheer bollocks.
>
>He's just an overprivileged Tory phag. And he's wildly out of touch.

Since December 2021, The Prison Service - never known to willingly
overspend on anything - has had a daily average food allowance per
prisoner of £2.29. Before then it had been stuck at £2.02 for years.
So even the prison service spends in a day what Anderson reckoned
would last a week.

Nick

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<20220513160205.03e12152336684c6140bf69c@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10536&group=uk.rec.sheds#10536

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 16:02:05 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 13 May 2022 15:02 UTC

On Fri, 13 May 2022 12:55:33 +0100
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:

> A butcher would cut a pork chop the thickness you wanted. Now you have
> too buy pack of at least two where each chop is (in the case of pork) is
> more than enough for two.

You can still go to a butcher and have them cut a pork chop just
the size you want - but it's probably purncr to get the pack of two from
the horriblemarket and throw one out.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<ePS4rMCS4nfiFAJq@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10543&group=uk.rec.sheds#10543

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 16:49:38 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 13 May 2022 15:49 UTC

In article <20220513160205.03e12152336684c6140bf69c@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Fri, 13 May 2022 at 16:02:05 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On Fri, 13 May 2022 12:55:33 +0100
>"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> A butcher would cut a pork chop the thickness you wanted. Now you have
>> too buy pack of at least two where each chop is (in the case of pork) is
>> more than enough for two.
>
> You can still go to a butcher and have them cut a pork chop just
>the size you want - but it's probably purncr to get the pack of two from
>the horriblemarket and throw one out.

Only if you have a butcher nearby. The same applies to greengrocer's
(greengrocers' apostrophe).

The point being that horriblemarkets have put most of them out of
business. When they first went after butchers they had butchers
counters, usually with at least one real butcher. These days if they
have a butchery counter it is staffed by staff who would not know a
chopper from the other.

They, horriblemarkets, are the people who have turned bacon into a
vehicle for selling water.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<slrnt7t1so.4ru.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10548&group=uk.rec.sheds#10548

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 13 May 2022 16:30:16 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:30 UTC

On 2022-05-13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2022 19:48:13 -0500
> Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> The BeeblySea reported him as saying it was possible to cook nutritious
>> meals for 30p a day.
>
> He should publish a recipe book - then we could get it criticised
> by a nutrition expert.

People have funny ideas. One police chief's wife here was reported as
saying that she was forced to feed her children corn flakes because of
his low salary.

Did she never hear of spagetti cheese?

My wife was a professional cook, and was good at it. My Mother used say,
`Marry a cook, if all else fails, you can enjoy the food.'

My daughters are vegetarians. F***!

--
greymausg@mail.com
Ten, twenty million losses, tops

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<slrnt7t20l.4ru.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10549&group=uk.rec.sheds#10549

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 13 May 2022 16:32:21 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:32 UTC

On 2022-05-13, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
> On 13/05/2022 11:39, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <20220513110004.1c674ad89cfbd1501e0783fa@eircom.net>, Ahem A
>> Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Fri, 13 May 2022 at 11:00:04 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>> On Fri, 13 May 2022 10:29:24 +0100
>>> "ChrisND@privacy.net" <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
>>>
>> could not see their problem. Being an older father, it did not help that
>> I had missed a couple of generations of maths teaching styles.
>>>
>>> Q: What is two plus two ?
>>> A(mathematician): Four!
>>> A(scientist): Three point nine six plus or minus point four.
>>> A(economist): What do you need it to be sir ?
>>>
>> A(sociologist): The average (mean, mode or median, does it matter?) of
>> what ever the crowd says it is.
>
> A(accountant): Is that for tax purposes?

More, more!

--
greymausg@mail.com
Ten, twenty million losses, tops

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<slrnt7t2ga.4ru.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10551&group=uk.rec.sheds#10551

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 13 May 2022 16:40:42 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:40 UTC

On 2022-05-13, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 13/05/2022 08:45, RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 13/05/2022 00:38, Mike Fleming wrote:
>
>>> He's just an overprivileged Tory phag. And he's wildly out of touch.
>
> Very true.

Consider the man's problem, he is up there, probably half shot already,
and he has to say something, but his helper has disappeared, so he has
to think of something to say, no point in just standing there making
faces like a fish.

I was once at a sporting event and invited the politician's friend to have a
dram with me. After the dram, I realized that the man had one or two
earlier, and an urgent message came through that the politician needed
his speech pronto, so I had to write one out. Fun.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Ten, twenty million losses, tops

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<slrnt7t32o.4ru.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10555&group=uk.rec.sheds#10555

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 13 May 2022 16:50:32 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:50 UTC

On 2022-05-13, Nicholas D. Richards <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <je6rjeF9rt1U1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
><johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Fri, 13 May 2022 at 11:52:29 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>Very true.
>>>

> Very true and can be laid at the door of horrible markets. You useter be
> able to get a few rashers of freshly sliced real bacon (rind on) at the
> thickness you wanted. Now no rind, mostly water, no fat or rind and
> sliced so thin, that sideways on you might miss it and an inconvenient
> amount. I have a working refrigerator, but for those that do not how do
> you keep it.
>
> A butcher would cut a pork chop the thickness you wanted. Now you have
> too buy pack of at least two where each chop is (in the case of pork) is
> more than enough for two.
>
> Grapes are often no longer sold loose. So you cannot tell if they are
> nice (they are bred for shelf life) and you are often left with soft
> mouldering inedible grapes. I am not suggesting you try apples before
> you buy, but buy six and they go soft and soggy before consumption.

Fruit used to be stored on layers of straw. Now they are stored in an
inert gas, and the moment they leave that store, go soft quickly.

Ham and chicken can have water forced in under pressure. Hold the meat
up to the light, if you see a sheen out of it, pass on.

Sometimes ham and chicken can be traded and `enhanced' several times
before sale. There was a check a few years ago on chicken that had come
from Thailand, via Brazil, to Ireland. It was actually less than 40%
chicken, the rest was some substance that had been injected in to raise
the weight.

Think on all that when you listen to people waffle on about `cheap food
imports',

--
greymausg@mail.com
Ten, twenty million losses, tops

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<slrnt7t358.4ru.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10556&group=uk.rec.sheds#10556

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 13 May 2022 16:51:52 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:51 UTC

On 2022-05-13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2022 12:55:33 +0100
> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> A butcher would cut a pork chop the thickness you wanted. Now you have
>> too buy pack of at least two where each chop is (in the case of pork) is
>> more than enough for two.
>
> You can still go to a butcher and have them cut a pork chop just
> the size you want - but it's probably purncr to get the pack of two from
> the horriblemarket and throw one out.

Good butchers have survived the dumbmarkets here better than other food
sellers.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Ten, twenty million losses, tops

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<slrnt7t3bi.4ru.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10557&group=uk.rec.sheds#10557

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 13 May 2022 16:55:14 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:55 UTC

On 2022-05-13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2022 08:45:56 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> 30p/day is just silly - and rapidly getting sillier still, but buying
>> everything processed and/or ready served is piling 'service' costs on
>> preparation costs on profit on ingredients on cost of ingredients.
>
> It seems that way and the same seems to apply to any manufactured
> item (yes a packaged meal is a manufactured item) but it's almost
> impossible to find anything that you can molish for less than you can ohl
> it.
>

> I usually cook things in bulk and freeze portions which is
> perhaps marginally purncr than frozen packaged meals even when you throw in
> the electrickery but does produce much better food. This only jbexes if you
> have the freezer space and time for it.

My opinion. Never freeze anything. My daughters left the freeze nearly
full of half-packets that are hard to identify.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Ten, twenty million losses, tops

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<t5m35p$66j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10561&group=uk.rec.sheds#10561

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 18:06:00 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 13 May 2022 17:06 UTC

On 13/05/2022 16:49, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

/chop/

> They, horriblemarkets, are the people who have turned bacon into a
> vehicle for selling water.

Don't forget the milk products' waste - at bacon prices.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<20220513180649.5f6305d42f1311ed18a3de33@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10565&group=uk.rec.sheds#10565

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 18:06:49 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 13 May 2022 17:06 UTC

On 13 May 2022 16:51:52 GMT
maus <maus@dmaus.org> wrote:

> On 2022-05-13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 May 2022 12:55:33 +0100
> > "Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
> >
> >> A butcher would cut a pork chop the thickness you wanted. Now you have
> >> too buy pack of at least two where each chop is (in the case of pork)
> >> is more than enough for two.
> >
> > You can still go to a butcher and have them cut a pork chop just
> > the size you want - but it's probably purncr to get the pack of two from
> > the horriblemarket and throw one out.
> >

> Good butchers have survived the dumbmarkets here better than other food
> sellers.

That despite Superquinn advertising that they employed most of the
master butchers in the country - until they sold out to Musgrave.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<ll5t7h1ijmijti9k9j41l6ic1g3191gct7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10567&group=uk.rec.sheds#10567

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 18:38:42 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 13 May 2022 17:38 UTC

On 13 May 2022 16:55:14 GMT, maus <maus@dmaus.org> wrote:

>On 2022-05-13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 May 2022 08:45:56 +0100
>> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> 30p/day is just silly - and rapidly getting sillier still, but buying
>>> everything processed and/or ready served is piling 'service' costs on
>>> preparation costs on profit on ingredients on cost of ingredients.
>>
>> It seems that way and the same seems to apply to any manufactured
>> item (yes a packaged meal is a manufactured item) but it's almost
>> impossible to find anything that you can molish for less than you can ohl
>> it.
>>

>> I usually cook things in bulk and freeze portions which is
>> perhaps marginally purncr than frozen packaged meals even when you throw in
>> the electrickery but does produce much better food. This only jbexes if you
>> have the freezer space and time for it.
>>

>My opinion. Never freeze anything. My daughters left the freeze nearly
>full of half-packets that are hard to identify.

Tonight's dinner will be made with whatever it turns out that
unlabelled freezer bag contains. It's defrosting now. Ooh the
suspense, the tension! However anything I really want to preserve gets
bottled, dried, salted or otherwise preserved. See mincemeat, earlier.

Nick

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<CZudne07hNqsI-P_nZ2dnUU7-SWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10572&group=uk.rec.sheds#10572

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 15:23:13 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 13 May 2022 20:23 UTC

RustyHinge said:
> On 13/05/2022 00:38, Mike Fleming wrote:
>> On 11/05/2022 23:02, RustyHinge wrote:
>>> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>>> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook
>>> - he is spot on.
>>
>> I think it's actually because he said you could prepare meals for 30p a
>> day. Which, if you don't have time to nip out and catch a few rabbits
>> and dig up the potatoes from your window box and grind your flour from
>> the grass seed you collect from nearby is sheer bollocks.
>>
>> He's just an overprivileged Tory phag. And he's wildly out of touch.
>
> 30p/day is just silly - and rapidly getting sillier still, but buying
> everything processed and/or ready served is piling 'service' costs on
> preparation costs on profit on ingredients on cost of ingredients.
>
> While I used to produce my own flour from grain I grew, harvested ,
> winnowed, etc, this was when my cash income was about 10p/day, and I had
> a hammer mill and a tractor to drive it.

So, we could all feed ourselves Come The Revolution ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<slrnt7tggn.974.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10574&group=uk.rec.sheds#10574

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 13 May 2022 20:39:51 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 13 May 2022 20:39 UTC

On 2022-05-13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On 13 May 2022 16:51:52 GMT
> maus <maus@dmaus.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-05-13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

>> > You can still go to a butcher and have them cut a pork chop just
>> > the size you want - but it's probably purncr to get the pack of two from
>> > the horriblemarket and throw one out.
>> >

>> Good butchers have survived the dumbmarkets here better than other food
>> sellers.
>
> That despite Superquinn advertising that they employed most of the
> master butchers in the country - until they sold out to Musgrave.

Superquinns was a good supermarket, I can's say the same for Musgroves.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Ten, twenty million losses, tops

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<BTzfK.142332$3b1.124596@fx14.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10576&group=uk.rec.sheds#10576

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:15:13 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:15 UTC

On 13-May-22 1:48, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Bernard Peek said:
>> On 2022-05-11, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>>> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
>>> he is spot on.
>>
>> FSVO
>
> The BeeblySea reported him as saying it was possible to cook nutritious
> meals for 30p a day.

Of course. Those fools never think of buying huge quantities at
wholesale prices. They deserve to be poor.

Ignoring the cost of fuel to heat the stuff, it might be possible -
provided you choose to eat porridge for every meal.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<JXzfK.142333$3b1.110982@fx14.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10577&group=uk.rec.sheds#10577

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:19:37 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:19 UTC

On 13-May-22 12:10, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 13/05/2022 11:39, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <20220513110004.1c674ad89cfbd1501e0783fa@eircom.net>, Ahem A
>> Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net>  on Fri, 13 May 2022 at 11:00:04 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>> I suspect that he made a good remedial maths teacher because he
>> understood why these kids did not get it.
>>
>> I had real problems helping my children with maths precisely because I
>> could not see their problem. Being an older father, it did not help that
>> I had missed a couple of generations of maths teaching styles.
>>>
>>> Q: What is two plus two ?
>>> A(mathematician): Four!
>>> A(scientist): Three point nine six plus or minus point four.
>>> A(economist): What do you need it to be sir ?
>>>
>> A(sociologist): The average (mean, mode or median, does it matter?) of
>> what ever the crowd says it is.
>
> A(accountant): Is that for tax purposes?

A(socialist): Capitalism's attempt to subjugate and stifle the natural
creativity of the jbexing man.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<64AfK.97867$ep1.44821@fx03.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10578&group=uk.rec.sheds#10578

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:28:33 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:28 UTC

On 13-May-22 17:51, maus wrote:
> On 2022-05-13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 May 2022 12:55:33 +0100
>> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A butcher would cut a pork chop the thickness you wanted. Now you have
>>> too buy pack of at least two where each chop is (in the case of pork) is
>>> more than enough for two.
>>
>> You can still go to a butcher and have them cut a pork chop just
>> the size you want - but it's probably purncr to get the pack of two from
>> the horriblemarket and throw one out.
>>

> Good butchers have survived the dumbmarkets here better than other food
> sellers.

I unforget talking to a butcher, a few years back.

He'd run his own shop for a few decades, but when the horriblemarket
opened up he couldn't keep it going.

As I spoke to him, he was standing behind the meat counter in that
horriblemarket - but he wasn't allowed to cut any meat because he hadn't
yet been on the horriblemarket's knife safety course.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<w9AfK.611228$Lc1.250987@fx12.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10582&group=uk.rec.sheds#10582

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:34:19 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:34 UTC

On 13-May-22 18:38, Nick Odell wrote:
> On 13 May 2022 16:55:14 GMT, maus <maus@dmaus.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-05-13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

>>> It seems that way and the same seems to apply to any manufactured
>>> item (yes a packaged meal is a manufactured item) but it's almost
>>> impossible to find anything that you can molish for less than you can ohl
>>> it.
>>>

>>> I usually cook things in bulk and freeze portions which is
>>> perhaps marginally purncr than frozen packaged meals even when you throw in
>>> the electrickery but does produce much better food. This only jbexes if you
>>> have the freezer space and time for it.
>>>

>> My opinion. Never freeze anything. My daughters left the freeze nearly
>> full of half-packets that are hard to identify.
>
> Tonight's dinner will be made with whatever it turns out that
> unlabelled freezer bag contains. It's defrosting now. Ooh the
> suspense, the tension! However anything I really want to preserve gets
> bottled, dried, salted or otherwise preserved. See mincemeat, earlier.

We've been through that for the last couple of weeks or so and had some
quite strange meal combinations.
The big freezer is supposed to self-defrost but every couple of years it
ices up, & has to be emptied & switched off.
I just switched it back on a couple of hours ago - dunno how long it
will take to get back to -18C.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<ybAfK.611312$Lc1.402983@fx12.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10583&group=uk.rec.sheds#10583

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:36:30 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:36 UTC

On 13-May-22 15:07, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2022 00:38:55 +0100, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/05/2022 23:02, RustyHinge wrote:
>>> Lee Anderson MP is being attacked for being 'out of touch' because he
>>> maintains that many people could cope better if they knew how to cook -
>>> he is spot on.
>>
>> I think it's actually because he said you could prepare meals for 30p a
>> day. Which, if you don't have time to nip out and catch a few rabbits
>> and dig up the potatoes from your window box and grind your flour from
>> the grass seed you collect from nearby is sheer bollocks.
>>
>> He's just an overprivileged Tory phag. And he's wildly out of touch.
>
> Since December 2021, The Prison Service - never known to willingly
> overspend on anything - has had a daily average food allowance per
> prisoner of £2.29. Before then it had been stuck at £2.02 for years.
> So even the prison service spends in a day what Anderson reckoned
> would last a week.

I suppose it doesn't matter.
His audience no doubt just harrumphed and said "Hear Hear!". Since it
agrees with what they already think, they are hardly likely to apply any
critical thinking.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<t5mlll$j1a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10588&group=uk.rec.sheds#10588

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 23:21:42 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 13 May 2022 22:21 UTC

On 13/05/2022 22:15, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 13-May-22 1:48, Richard Robinson wrote:
>> Bernard Peek said:
>>>
>>> FSVO
>>
>> The BeeblySea reported him as saying it was possible to cook nutritious
>> meals for 30p a day.
>
> Of course.  Those fools never think of buying huge quantities at
> wholesale prices.  They deserve to be poor.
>
> Ignoring the cost of fuel to heat the stuff, it might be possible -
> provided you choose to eat porridge for every meal.

Psalad, phurely

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<je8d41Fj18kU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10593&group=uk.rec.sheds#10593

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 01:57:35 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Sat, 14 May 2022 00:57 UTC

On 13/05/2022 22:19, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 13-May-22 12:10, Mike Fleming wrote:
>> On 13/05/2022 11:39, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>> In article <20220513110004.1c674ad89cfbd1501e0783fa@eircom.net>, Ahem A
>>> Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net>  on Fri, 13 May 2022 at 11:00:04 awoke
>>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> I suspect that he made a good remedial maths teacher because he
>>> understood why these kids did not get it.
>>>
>>> I had real problems helping my children with maths precisely because I
>>> could not see their problem. Being an older father, it did not help that
>>> I had missed a couple of generations of maths teaching styles.

>>> A(sociologist): The average (mean, mode or median, does it matter?) of
>>> what ever the crowd says it is.
>>
>> A(accountant): Is that for tax purposes?
>
> A(socialist): Capitalism's attempt to subjugate and stifle the natural
> creativity of the jbexing man.

A(capitalist[Tesco's boss]): 0.0135 for you, 3.9865 for me (other
capitalists are available)

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<je8df1Fj33oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10594&group=uk.rec.sheds#10594

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 02:03:27 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Sat, 14 May 2022 01:03 UTC

On 13/05/2022 17:50, maus wrote:

> Fruit used to be stored on layers of straw. Now they are stored in an
> inert gas, and the moment they leave that store, go soft quickly.

I didn't realise that Irish fruit was that rubbish. I have a couple of
apples in the kitchen from a bag marked "Display until 6th April", so it
was bought at least five weeks ago, which are still OK (could do with
being eaten pretty soon though).

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<cb2dnUu_O9PEneL_nZ2dnUU7-LednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10596&group=uk.rec.sheds#10596

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 20:05:29 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Sat, 14 May 2022 01:05 UTC

RustyHinge said:
> On 13/05/2022 22:15, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> The BeeblySea reported him as saying it was possible to cook nutritious
>>> meals for 30p a day.
>>
>> Of course.  Those fools never think of buying huge quantities at
>> wholesale prices.  They deserve to be poor.
>>
>> Ignoring the cost of fuel to heat the stuff, it might be possible -
>> provided you choose to eat porridge for every meal.
>
> Psalad, phurely

Oat salad ?