Gentlemen, I want you to know that I am not always right, but I am never wrong. -Samuel Goldwyn

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT: email applications

SubjectAuthor
* OT: email applicationsScott
+* Re: OT: email applicationsGB
|+* Re: OT: email applicationsScott
||+- Re: OT: email applicationsTim Streater
||+- Re: OT: email applicationsGB
||`- Re: OT: email applicationsJohn Rumm
|+- Re: OT: email applicationsDavid Wade
|`- Re: OT: email applicationsBrian Gaff
`- Re: OT: email applicationsDavid

1
OT: email applications

<9m8rhi945i3f42bclujf2kaiijv64ge39f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105808&group=uk.d-i-y#105808

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: email applications
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 18:39:50 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:39 UTC

For reasons I won't go into, I would prefer to keep my Gmail account
away from my main suite of email accounts on Outlook 365. Is there
anything to prevent me installing two different email apps on the same
PC?

Re: OT: email applications

<ufk9oa$eaec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105813&group=uk.d-i-y#105813

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT: email applications
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:09:13 +0100
 by: GB - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:09 UTC

On 04/10/2023 18:39, Scott wrote:
> For reasons I won't go into, I would prefer to keep my Gmail account
> away from my main suite of email accounts on Outlook 365. Is there
> anything to prevent me installing two different email apps on the same
> PC?

You already have at least two email clients installed! Forte Agent is an
email client. I bet you have the MS email client installed. And, there's
Outlook. So, probably 3+.

In any case, Gmail has a perfectly usable web interface.

Re: OT: email applications

<cgcrhipv83uttjbbbui042603dfqatk8ib@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105816&group=uk.d-i-y#105816

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 19:44:33 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:44 UTC

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:09:13 +0100, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
wrote:

>On 04/10/2023 18:39, Scott wrote:
>> For reasons I won't go into, I would prefer to keep my Gmail account
>> away from my main suite of email accounts on Outlook 365. Is there
>> anything to prevent me installing two different email apps on the same
>> PC?
>

>You already have at least two email clients installed! Forte Agent is an
>email client. I bet you have the MS email client installed. And, there's
>Outlook. So, probably 3+.
>
>In any case, Gmail has a perfectly usable web interface.

Would this mean having to sign into my Gmail account on the web every
time I want to check my Gmail? I wanted to have an app that I could
use anytime without fuss. I was thinking about Thunderbird but your
Forte Agent idea may be the answer, if I can find the settings it is
looking for, that is.

Re: OT: email applications

<ko5tshF5fdhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105818&group=uk.d-i-y#105818

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 4 Oct 2023 19:48:33 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:48 UTC

Feel free to go to: https://www.iletter.org.uk

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon emissions and more adverse environmental impact by adding intermittent renewable energy.

Re: OT: email applications

<ufklj6$h1tf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105822&group=uk.d-i-y#105822

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 22:31:18 +0100
 by: GB - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:31 UTC

On 04/10/2023 19:44, Scott wrote:

>> In any case, Gmail has a perfectly usable web interface.
>>
> Would this mean having to sign into my Gmail account on the web every
> time I want to check my Gmail?

I use Gmail for some of my email, and my Chrome browser automatically
logs me in, even though I don't leave the gmail page open. It opens in
just a second or two.

I suggest you try the web interface, and see whether you are happy. Many
millions of people are!

I wanted to have an app that I could
> use anytime without fuss. I was thinking about Thunderbird but your
> Forte Agent idea may be the answer, if I can find the settings it is
> looking for, that is.

Re: OT: email applications

<ufkpnq$huql$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105825&group=uk.d-i-y#105825

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 23:42:02 +0100
 by: David Wade - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 22:42 UTC

On 04/10/2023 19:09, GB wrote:
> On 04/10/2023 18:39, Scott wrote:
>> For reasons I won't go into, I would prefer to keep my Gmail account
>> away from my main suite of email accounts on Outlook 365. Is there
>> anything to prevent me installing two different email apps on the same
>> PC?
>

> You already have at least two email clients installed! Forte Agent is an
> email client. I bet you have the MS email client installed. And, there's
> Outlook. So, probably 3+.
>
> In any case, Gmail has a perfectly usable web interface.

You can create separate Outlook profiles which are totally separate
within outlook. Go to Control Panel, Mail and "Show Profiles" ...

... but you can only open one at a time.

You can install many other clients, EM Client, OE Classic, Thunderbird.
Only one can be called when clicking e-mail links in your browser..

Dave

Re: OT: email applications

<ufkstn$ikkv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105826&group=uk.d-i-y#105826

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 00:36:23 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 23:36 UTC

On 04/10/2023 19:44, Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:09:13 +0100, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 04/10/2023 18:39, Scott wrote:
>>> For reasons I won't go into, I would prefer to keep my Gmail account
>>> away from my main suite of email accounts on Outlook 365. Is there
>>> anything to prevent me installing two different email apps on the same
>>> PC?

You can have as many as you like...

>> You already have at least two email clients installed! Forte Agent is an
>> email client. I bet you have the MS email client installed. And, there's
>> Outlook. So, probably 3+.
>>
>> In any case, Gmail has a perfectly usable web interface.
>>
> Would this mean having to sign into my Gmail account on the web every
> time I want to check my Gmail?

If you leave the browser signed into the relevant google account, then no.

> I wanted to have an app that I could
> use anytime without fuss. I was thinking about Thunderbird but your
> Forte Agent idea may be the answer, if I can find the settings it is
> looking for, that is.

Yup thunderbird etc will do it. Note that you will need to enable
POP3/IMAP access to the gmail account - it is off by default.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT: email applications

<uflugr$sc4m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105835&group=uk.d-i-y#105835

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:09:42 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 09:09 UTC

Well that last part is debatable. I guess for the sighted all webmail is
fine, but since they are removing basic html version, the new one can be
challenging for a blind user.
I'm not sure how decoupled the simple email client and Outlook are.
Certainly the email client has fewer features.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote in message
> On 04/10/2023 18:39, Scott wrote:
>> For reasons I won't go into, I would prefer to keep my Gmail account
>> away from my main suite of email accounts on Outlook 365. Is there
>> anything to prevent me installing two different email apps on the same
>> PC?
>

> You already have at least two email clients installed! Forte Agent is an
> email client. I bet you have the MS email client installed. And, there's
> Outlook. So, probably 3+.
>
> In any case, Gmail has a perfectly usable web interface.

Re: OT: email applications

<koaldqFt5p3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=105971&group=uk.d-i-y#105971

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 6 Oct 2023 14:54:50 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 14:54 UTC

On Wed, 04 Oct 2023 18:39:50 +0100, Scott wrote:

> For reasons I won't go into, I would prefer to keep my Gmail account
> away from my main suite of email accounts on Outlook 365. Is there
> anything to prevent me installing two different email apps on the same
> PC?

I have Thunderbird and Windows Mail running on this PC at the same time
(constantly) and they check mainly the same email addresses.

Thunderbird also checks a few Gmail addresses and I am pretty sure that I
am not directly logged in through a browser window to all the accounts.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64