Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy. -- Robert Heinlein

aus+uk / uk.comp.os.linux / Re: problem with Online Banking

SubjectAuthor
* problem with Online BankingDavey
+* Re: problem with Online BankingMarco Moock
|+- Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
|`* Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
| +* Re: problem with Online BankingMarco Moock
| |+* Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
| ||`* Re: problem with Online BankingAndy Burns
| || `* Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
| ||  `* Re: problem with Online BankingAndy Burns
| ||   `- Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
| |`- Re: problem with Online BankingHandsome Jack
| `* Re: problem with Online BankingAnton Shepelev
|  +* Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
|  |+- Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
|  |+- Re: problem with Online BankingAnton Shepelev
|  |`* Re: problem with Online BankingMartin Gregorie
|  | `* Re: problem with Online BankingAndy Burns
|  |  +* Re: problem with Online BankingTheo
|  |  |`* Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
|  |  | `* Re: problem with Online BankingMartin Gregorie
|  |  |  `- Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
|  |  `* Re: problem with Online BankingMartin Gregorie
|  |   `* Re: problem with Online BankingTheo
|  |    `* Re: problem with Online BankingMartin Gregorie
|  |     `* Re: problem with Online BankingRichard Kettlewell
|  |      `* Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
|  |       `* Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
|  |        `* Re: problem with Online BankingAndy Burns
|  |         +- Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
|  |         `* Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
|  |          +* Re: problem with Online BankingJava Jive
|  |          |`* Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
|  |          | `- Re: problem with Online Banking. FIXED !Davey
|  |          `* Re: problem with Online BankingAndy Burns
|  |           `- Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
|  `* Re: problem with Online BankingAndy Burns
|   `- Re: problem with Online BankingRichard Kettlewell
`* Re: problem with Online BankingTheo
 `* Re: problem with Online BankingDavey
  `* Re: problem with Online BankingTheo
   `- Re: problem with Online BankingDavey

Pages:12
Re: problem with Online Banking

<wwvh6nhwgh5.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1052&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1052

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: problem with Online Banking
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:17:42 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 07:17 UTC

Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> writes:
> On 25 Sep 2023 18:34:13 +0100 (BST), Theo wrote:
>> There's no plaintext, it's all encrypted. All you can see there are
>> the connections to various servers (and maybe their DNS) - everything
>> inside those connections is encrypted.
>
> I would expect the content of the session start/stop messages and
> (probably) encryption start/stop messages to be plaintext, not least
> because this stuff is public information: it has to be because its the
> routing and content type details (msg encrypted or plaintext) needed
> to establish the mail transport sessions and would seem to what the
> OP's system is complaining about.

The only things that are not encrypted are:
* DNS packets (maybe)
* TCP/IP headers
* The initial TLS key exchange messages (i.e. almost certainly just the
first two packets).

The OP’s report is an HTTP status message, so an https session has been
successfully established and something within that isn’t working. The
handful of unencrypted parts are irrelevant. It also references a
well-known CDN and AWS Lambda: the immediate source of the errors is
inside HSBC and/or their suppliers, though presumably it’s triggered by
some detail of the OP’s configuration.

> Using Wireshark is about the simplest way I can think of to display this
> information: if its the same regardless connection success or failure then
> the problem is internal to the OP's system.
>
> Similarly, if responses to these messages are error responses, munged or
> not being returned, then the problem is internal to the OP's system.
>
> If the problem is with the session establishment then I'd expect
> Wireshark to confirm or deny this explanation and nothing more. If the
> session start request/response pairs are OK when displayed by
> Wireshark, that the problem ir internam the the OP's system and its
> time to look at his mail processes's debugging and diagnostic
> capabilities.

Please read the OP’s original report, it is simply not consistent with
these possibilities.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: problem with Online Banking

<ueu349$2ddha$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1053&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1053

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:01:13 +0100
<wwvh6nhwgh5.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
 by: Davey - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:01 UTC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:17:42 +0100
Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> writes:
> > On 25 Sep 2023 18:34:13 +0100 (BST), Theo wrote:
> >> There's no plaintext, it's all encrypted. All you can see there
> >> are the connections to various servers (and maybe their DNS) -
> >> everything inside those connections is encrypted.
> >
> > I would expect the content of the session start/stop messages and
> > (probably) encryption start/stop messages to be plaintext, not least
> > because this stuff is public information: it has to be because its
> > the routing and content type details (msg encrypted or plaintext)
> > needed to establish the mail transport sessions and would seem to
> > what the OP's system is complaining about.
>
> The only things that are not encrypted are:
> * DNS packets (maybe)
> * TCP/IP headers
> * The initial TLS key exchange messages (i.e. almost certainly just
> the first two packets).
>
> The OP’s report is an HTTP status message, so an https session has
> been successfully established and something within that isn’t
> working. The handful of unencrypted parts are irrelevant. It also
> references a well-known CDN and AWS Lambda: the immediate source of
> the errors is inside HSBC and/or their suppliers, though presumably
> it’s triggered by some detail of the OP’s configuration.
>
> > Using Wireshark is about the simplest way I can think of to display
> > this information: if its the same regardless connection success or
> > failure then the problem is internal to the OP's system.
> >
> > Similarly, if responses to these messages are error responses,
> > munged or not being returned, then the problem is internal to the
> > OP's system.
> >
> > If the problem is with the session establishment then I'd expect
> > Wireshark to confirm or deny this explanation and nothing more. If
> > the session start request/response pairs are OK when displayed by
> > Wireshark, that the problem ir internam the the OP's system and its
> > time to look at his mail processes's debugging and diagnostic
> > capabilities.
>
> Please read the OP’s original report, it is simply not consistent with
> these possibilities.

Thank you for that clarification. It makes sense to me.

Some more information:

I tried:
a. Pausing Ghostery. No improvement.
b. AdBlock was not blocking anything, so nothing to do there.
c. Checked cookies, none listed for: HSBC, Lambda, or Cloudfront.
d. Luckily, the Test profile still works (fingers crossed).
e. I installed Wireshark, and again was confused by it. I do not know
it, and I cannot get beyond the Welcome screen with anything useful.
I need "Wireshark for Dummies". But hopefully, I don't need it
anyway.
f. Confirmed that Chrome still fails in the same way.

Hmm.

--
Davey.

Re: problem with Online Banking

<ueu7po$2eaku$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1054&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1054

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:20:56 +0100
<wwvh6nhwgh5.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
<ueu349$2ddha$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Davey - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:20 UTC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:01:13 +0100
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:17:42 +0100
> Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> writes:
> > >
> > > I would expect the content of the session start/stop messages and
> > > (probably) encryption start/stop messages to be plaintext, not
> > > least because this stuff is public information: it has to be
> > > because its the routing and content type details (msg encrypted
> > > or plaintext) needed to establish the mail transport sessions and
> > > would seem to what the OP's system is complaining about.
> >
> > The only things that are not encrypted are:
> > * DNS packets (maybe)
> > * TCP/IP headers
> > * The initial TLS key exchange messages (i.e. almost certainly just
> > the first two packets).
> >
> > The OP’s report is an HTTP status message, so an https session has
> > been successfully established and something within that isn’t
> > working. The handful of unencrypted parts are irrelevant. It also
> > references a well-known CDN and AWS Lambda: the immediate source of
> > the errors is inside HSBC and/or their suppliers, though presumably
> > it’s triggered by some detail of the OP’s configuration.
> >
> > > Using Wireshark is about the simplest way I can think of to
> > > display this information: if its the same regardless connection
> > > success or failure then the problem is internal to the OP's
> > > system.
> > >
> > > Similarly, if responses to these messages are error responses,
> > > munged or not being returned, then the problem is internal to the
> > > OP's system.
> > >
> > > If the problem is with the session establishment then I'd expect
> > > Wireshark to confirm or deny this explanation and nothing more. If
> > > the session start request/response pairs are OK when displayed by
> > > Wireshark, that the problem ir internam the the OP's system and
> > > its time to look at his mail processes's debugging and diagnostic
> > > capabilities.
> >
> > Please read the OP’s original report, it is simply not consistent
> > with these possibilities.
> >

> Thank you for that clarification. It makes sense to me.
>
> Some more information:
>
> I tried:
> a. Pausing Ghostery. No improvement.
> b. AdBlock was not blocking anything, so nothing to do there.
> c. Checked cookies, none listed for: HSBC, Lambda, or Cloudfront.
> d. Luckily, the Test profile still works (fingers crossed).
> e. I installed Wireshark, and again was confused by it. I do not know
> it, and I cannot get beyond the Welcome screen with anything
> useful. I need "Wireshark for Dummies". But hopefully, I don't need it
> anyway.
> f. Confirmed that Chrome still fails in the same way.
>
> Hmm.

In addition, I have gone back to my Chrome browser and cleared
everything that I can think of in there, but it still fails, with the
same Error message,

--
Davey.

Re: problem with Online Banking

<knfmusFe0tvU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1055&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1055

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:35:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:35 UTC

Davey wrote:

> I have gone back to my Chrome browser and cleared everything that I
> can think of in there, but it still fails, with the same Error
> message
Killed-off service workers?

<chrome://serviceworker-internals>

Re: problem with Online Banking

<ueubmu$2f4eb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1056&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1056

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 11:27:42 +0100
<wwvh6nhwgh5.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
<ueu349$2ddha$1@dont-email.me>
<ueu7po$2eaku$1@dont-email.me>
<knfmusFe0tvU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Davey - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:27 UTC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:35:25 +0100
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
> > I have gone back to my Chrome browser and cleared everything that I
> > can think of in there, but it still fails, with the same Error
> > message
> Killed-off service workers?
>
> <chrome://serviceworker-internals>

You really like sending me down paths of which I have no knowledge,
don't you?

--
Davey.

Re: problem with Online Banking

<9Gb*dglrz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1057&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1057

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 26 Sep 2023 12:52:45 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 11:52 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> I use Online Banking with HSBC on an almost daily basis, using Mozilla
> Firebird on Ubuntu.
> Since Saturday, I only get an error message when I try to go to the
> Sign-up page:
>
> 503 ERROR
> The request could not be satisfied.
> The Lambda function associated with the CloudFront distribution is
> invalid or doesn't have the required permissions. We can't connect to
> the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too
> much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the
> app or website owner. If you provide content to customers through
> CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this
> error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.
>
> I have researched this, and I have no idea what is usually discussed,
> it is in a language level above my pay grade, but seems to say that it
> is probably a problem with CloudFront, whoever they are.
> If I use Chrome, still on Ubuntu, it works fine. That is always
> updating whenever I do an update/upgrade.
>
> What, if anything, can I do about this, apart from trying to contact
> HSBC's annoying chatbot and explaining it to them? There have been no
> recent updates to Mozilla, and there are none ready to download.
>
> Any help gratefully received.

I wonder if your IP has become blacklisted in some way? If a server has
blocked it, that would explain the strange behaviour. It is possible only
one server of many is blocking, which would explain why it sometimes works
and sometimes doesn't. It's deep in the guts of HSBC's infrastructure so
there's not much hope of identifying which server.

Can you try from a different IP? For example if you have access to a VPN
try using that. Or use the portable hotspot feature on your phone to tether
to it and use mobile data.

I had a quick look at 'www.hsbc.co.uk -> Login' in Firefox developer tools -
as expected there's a huge amount of Javascript stuff going back and forth.
It also pings a tracking/logging server about once a second - uBlock Origin
blocks that, but it still seems to work ok (I didn't try logging in).

Theo

Re: problem with Online Banking

<ueuhum$2g89c$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1058&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1058

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:14:14 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:14 UTC

On 26 Sep 2023 12:52:45 +0100 (BST)
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > I use Online Banking with HSBC on an almost daily basis, using
> > Mozilla Firebird on Ubuntu.
> > Since Saturday, I only get an error message when I try to go to the
> > Sign-up page:
> >
> > 503 ERROR
> > The request could not be satisfied.
> > The Lambda function associated with the CloudFront distribution is
> > invalid or doesn't have the required permissions. We can't connect
> > to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be
> > too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or
> > contact the app or website owner. If you provide content to
> > customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot
> > and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront
> > documentation.
> >
> > I have researched this, and I have no idea what is usually
> > discussed, it is in a language level above my pay grade, but seems
> > to say that it is probably a problem with CloudFront, whoever they
> > are. If I use Chrome, still on Ubuntu, it works fine. That is always
> > updating whenever I do an update/upgrade.
> >
> > What, if anything, can I do about this, apart from trying to contact
> > HSBC's annoying chatbot and explaining it to them? There have been
> > no recent updates to Mozilla, and there are none ready to download.
> >
> > Any help gratefully received.
>
> I wonder if your IP has become blacklisted in some way? If a server
> has blocked it, that would explain the strange behaviour. It is
> possible only one server of many is blocking, which would explain why
> it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It's deep in the guts of
> HSBC's infrastructure so there's not much hope of identifying which
> server.
>
> Can you try from a different IP? For example if you have access to a
> VPN try using that. Or use the portable hotspot feature on your
> phone to tether to it and use mobile data.
>
> I had a quick look at 'www.hsbc.co.uk -> Login' in Firefox developer
> tools - as expected there's a huge amount of Javascript stuff going
> back and forth. It also pings a tracking/logging server about once a
> second - uBlock Origin blocks that, but it still seems to work ok (I
> didn't try logging in).
>
> Theo

Briefly, as I'm on my way out to a hospital appointment:
No other IP available.
Never tried tethering to my dumb 'phone, so no idea about that.
Although it might be worth learning!

From my recent experience, if it asks you for your ID, then it's
working fine.

Thanks for digging.

--
Davey.

Re: problem with Online Banking

<+Gb*dElrz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1059&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1059

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 26 Sep 2023 14:35:10 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:35 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> Briefly, as I'm on my way out to a hospital appointment:
> No other IP available.

Is it a laptop? You could take it somewhere with free wifi and try there.

> Never tried tethering to my dumb 'phone, so no idea about that.
> Although it might be worth learning!

Not sure if your dumbphone can tether, some don't have wifi.

Theo

Re: problem with Online Banking

<ueuvof$2ivh2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1060&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1060

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 17:09:51 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:09 UTC

On 26 Sep 2023 14:35:10 +0100 (BST)
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > Briefly, as I'm on my way out to a hospital appointment:
> > No other IP available.
>
> Is it a laptop? You could take it somewhere with free wifi and try
> there.
>
> > Never tried tethering to my dumb 'phone, so no idea about that.
> > Although it might be worth learning!
>
> Not sure if your dumbphone can tether, some don't have wifi.
>
> Theo

I'll take a look sometime. It has a lot more abilities than I use, but
I only normally use it for making emergency calls if needed. It will
send and receive texts.

--
Davey.

Re: problem with Online Banking

<uf150n$32bmr$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1061&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1061

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:51:52 +0100
<wwvh6nhwgh5.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
<ueu349$2ddha$1@dont-email.me>
<ueu7po$2eaku$1@dont-email.me>
<knfmusFe0tvU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Davey - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 11:51 UTC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:35:25 +0100
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
> > I have gone back to my Chrome browser and cleared everything that I
> > can think of in there, but it still fails, with the same Error
> > message
> Killed-off service workers?
>
> <chrome://serviceworker-internals>

Returning to my current situation, what can I do with what I have, and
am capable of doing, as a way of eliminating various items to try to
determine what is causing the problem? I have tried, repeatedly,
clearing the cache; Firefox's Troubleshooting procedure disables all
Add-ons, but that makes no difference. Can I temporarily disable some
cookies to try to home in on which one(s), if any, might be causing the
bad log-in? What else can I try?

The answer must be somewhere in the Profile configuration, it is a
question of digging out where it is.

--
Davey.

Re: problem with Online Banking

<uf17ch$330ph$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1062&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1062

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:32:11 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:32 UTC

On 27/09/2023 12:51, Davey wrote:

> Returning to my current situation, what can I do with what I have, and
> am capable of doing, as a way of eliminating various items to try to
> determine what is causing the problem? I have tried, repeatedly,
> clearing the cache; Firefox's Troubleshooting procedure disables all
> Add-ons, but that makes no difference. Can I temporarily disable some
> cookies to try to home in on which one(s), if any, might be causing the
> bad log-in? What else can I try?
>
> The answer must be somewhere in the Profile configuration, it is a
> question of digging out where it is.

It's been a long thread, and I'm not sure that I can remember all of it,
so apologies if this has been suggested before, but have you tried:

Edit
Settings
Privacy & Security
Cookies & Site Data
Manage Data
Search for and delete the cookies and data for your bank.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: problem with Online Banking

<knio3mFu5klU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1063&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1063

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:13:27 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:13 UTC

Davey wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> <chrome://serviceworker-internals>
>
> Returning to my current situation, what can I do with what I have

If using chrome, enter the above URL (you can't click it) at least see
if anything shows up on the list, and if so, is it related to the bank's
domain?

If using firefox, the equivalent URL is

<about:serviceworkers>

if workers are disabled it will say so, or it might show a list, again
does you bank appear?

You don't need to know *too* much about service workers, except they can
be quite powerful, acting as a stand-in for your bank's webserver,
complete with SQL data and their own process

Re: problem with Online Banking

<uf1afn$33kg7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1064&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1064

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:25:11 +0100
<wwvh6nhwgh5.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
<ueu349$2ddha$1@dont-email.me>
<ueu7po$2eaku$1@dont-email.me>
<knfmusFe0tvU1@mid.individual.net>
<uf150n$32bmr$2@dont-email.me>
<knio3mFu5klU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Davey - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:25 UTC

On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:13:27 +0100
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> You don't need to know *too* much about service workers, except they
> can be quite powerful, acting as a stand-in for your bank's
> webserver, complete with SQL data and their own process

I know NOTHING abut service workers, except that they look after my
hotel room when I am away from home.
I opened up the Chrome one, but I had no idea how to make it do
anything meaningful, and I don't want to learn a whole new System if I
can help it. I'm too old for that!

--
Davey.

Re: problem with Online Banking

<uf1ake$33kg7$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1065&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1065

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:27:42 +0100
<wwvh6nhwgh5.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
<ueu349$2ddha$1@dont-email.me>
<ueu7po$2eaku$1@dont-email.me>
<knfmusFe0tvU1@mid.individual.net>
<uf150n$32bmr$2@dont-email.me>
<uf17ch$330ph$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Davey - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:27 UTC

On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:32:11 +0100
Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:

> On 27/09/2023 12:51, Davey wrote:
> >
> > Returning to my current situation, what can I do with what I have,
> > and am capable of doing, as a way of eliminating various items to
> > try to determine what is causing the problem? I have tried,
> > repeatedly, clearing the cache; Firefox's Troubleshooting procedure
> > disables all Add-ons, but that makes no difference. Can I
> > temporarily disable some cookies to try to home in on which one(s),
> > if any, might be causing the bad log-in? What else can I try?
> >
> > The answer must be somewhere in the Profile configuration, it is a
> > question of digging out where it is.
>
> It's been a long thread, and I'm not sure that I can remember all of
> it, so apologies if this has been suggested before, but have you
> tried:
>
> Edit
> Settings
> Privacy & Security
> Cookies & Site Data
> Manage Data
> Search for and delete the cookies and data for your bank.

I searched through my cookies for anything related to: HSBC, Lambda,
CloudFront, but with no joy with any of them.
If I could make head or tail of the service-workers thing, that might
help.

--
Davey.

Re: problem with Online Banking. FIXED !

<uf1il8$35a04$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1066&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1066

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: problem with Online Banking. FIXED !
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:44:40 +0100
<wwvh6nhwgh5.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
<ueu349$2ddha$1@dont-email.me>
<ueu7po$2eaku$1@dont-email.me>
<knfmusFe0tvU1@mid.individual.net>
<uf150n$32bmr$2@dont-email.me>
<uf17ch$330ph$1@dont-email.me>
<uf1ake$33kg7$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Davey - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:44 UTC

On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:27:42 +0100
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:32:11 +0100
> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On 27/09/2023 12:51, Davey wrote:
> > >
> > > Returning to my current situation, what can I do with what I have,
> > > and am capable of doing, as a way of eliminating various items to
> > > try to determine what is causing the problem? I have tried,
> > > repeatedly, clearing the cache; Firefox's Troubleshooting
> > > procedure disables all Add-ons, but that makes no difference. Can
> > > I temporarily disable some cookies to try to home in on which
> > > one(s), if any, might be causing the bad log-in? What else can I
> > > try?
> > >
> > > The answer must be somewhere in the Profile configuration, it is a
> > > question of digging out where it is.
> >
> > It's been a long thread, and I'm not sure that I can remember all of
> > it, so apologies if this has been suggested before, but have you
> > tried:
> >
> > Edit
> > Settings
> > Privacy & Security
> > Cookies & Site Data
> > Manage Data
> > Search for and delete the cookies and data for your bank.
> >

> I searched through my cookies for anything related to: HSBC, Lambda,
> CloudFront, but with no joy with any of them.
> If I could make head or tail of the service-workers thing, that might
> help.

But just now, I tried again, and found an HSBC cookie from 4 hours ago.
I deleted it, and tried again, and it worked! I needed to Manage the
new cookie, of course, but it now works!
Puzzlingly, it also works on Chrome, but hey, I'll take it. This must
mean that Firefox and Chrome share the same cookies? I would have
thought they had their own cookies.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this, I have no idea about half
of what was described, such as service-workers, but persistence pays
off.

Cheers and thanks, All.

--
Davey.

Re: problem with Online Banking

<uhg4l5$27mpu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1078&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1078

From: Jac...@handsome.com (Handsome Jack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:50:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Handsome Jack - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:50 UTC

Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
> Am 24.09.2023 um 11:10:23 Uhr schrieb Davey:
>
>> I managed to talk to a human (!), but she could find no reference to
>> anybody else with similar problems reported. She suggested I do a
>> Browser Reset.
>
> Did you try it in a fresh firefox profile?
> Go to about:profiles to create it.

I did this (having just seen this thread), then pressed the "open Directory" button for the existing profile. Instead of opening the directory, it called up a launcher in my /home/[me]/local/applications directory - as it happens, one that I created myself to encrypt files. I narrowly escaped encrypting my default firefox profile.

Why would it do that?