A beautiful woman is a picture which drives all beholders nobly mad. -- Emerson

aus+uk / uk.comp.os.linux / Linux? Who he?

SubjectAuthor
* Linux? Who he?Davey
+- Re: Linux? Who he?Mark Wane
+* Re: Linux? Who he?grinch
|+* Re: Linux? Who he?Davey
||`* Re: Linux? Who he?Theo
|| `- Re: Linux? Who he?Davey
|`* Re: Linux? Who he?Mark Wane
| `* Re: Linux? Who he?Davey
|  `* Re: Linux? Who he?Mark Wane
|   `* Re: Linux? Who he?Davey
|    `- Re: Linux? Who he?Davey
`* Re: Linux? Who he?AnthonyL
 `- Re: Linux? Who he?Davey

1
Linux? Who he?

<uhc9on$13rj7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1068&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1068

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Linux? Who he?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:52:52 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 23:52 UTC

Me: I am trying to download a map update package for my car, but
the BMW website only offers Windows or MacOS options. I use Linux. What
do I do?

BMW Support: What's Linux?

Me: Oh boy. Only one of the most used Systems for consumer goods and
technical systems in the world.

BMW: Sorry, we can't help. Go to your BMW Dealer, they can do this for
you.

--
Davey.

Re: Linux? Who he?

<uhdhlj$1hq5h$1@cool110.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1069&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1069

From: mar...@cool110.eternal-september.org (Mark Wane)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux? Who he?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 11:13:55 -0000 (UTC)
2NStlYRWOy8h ISRYUk9t0wnzAAABz0lEQVQ4jX
2STW7jMAyFCST1elQH3ke6QG
_NmvK4wlNezELN2AEn3P0JJSUGQ aT3c+X3m45+A
igZ8D1r3QE3ZvoO4B7h6KRiY
_15eMtaWIznx7yAW4eZUtKODuOTxBETUmop4g4Nb0
LOB+MenWEgqEtVeOJ28QDW
_36/xMcORozIuLpszkAN/DGJPJsnZmqniDHupA39iM6a+3516A6Qeog
duCmWrsB
8cpSQirg7KgPWKguNzOxx6tHpMfsVBeSOQYeBUwPkHJtLidaAx9WXNoih5ZRSji
Sz+/j iAv1XZW23TDcTXiX4h9TX0lJFaT1PtF8l
r6WukMBa/OK/uRnJ7N/QJ1QY
_PMib2h0sxVQP8WqPQfy F/4zYweykpLbcWuGda9
AiQCDVqxqCQpAul79RzNQrNp
_yGZI+griWozd+nN3sqh4YVu6hVuLkxEoS GAoTV
UByELnHtfWooD/pozgJ+N0No
_MSm45WkK2fPqb08uWB9fAcBXpuyWI8k4NbAIuOYuV5dtxUe
YAhRq2sVHX4IkP/
_WEhNpBtoWCBn4Uyvj5dTbbeEWyJsUlrgk89QlBBxEcMr+AVArorIXwIfZ/hQQ
8 UfdwrYHdpws7CRY2En4D9jR7RcBut++gPz/gAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
 by: Mark Wane - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 11:13 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:52:52 +0100, Davey wrote:

> Me: I am trying to download a map update package for my car, but the BMW
> website only offers Windows or MacOS options. I use Linux. What do I do?
>
> BMW Support: What's Linux?
>
> Me: Oh boy. Only one of the most used Systems for consumer goods and
> technical systems in the world.
>
> BMW: Sorry, we can't help. Go to your BMW Dealer, they can do this for
> you.

Had exactly the with a Kia, and of course all of these cars are running
Linux systems. With the Nissan we had before someone even found out how to
get a root shell on it.

--
Mark Wane
Matrix: @mark:cool110.xyz

Re: Linux? Who he?

<uhdmo8$1j9mc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1070&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1070

From: gri...@somewhere.net (grinch)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:40:40 +0100
 by: grinch - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:40 UTC

On 26/10/2023 00:52, Davey wrote:
> Me: I am trying to download a map update package for my car, but
> the BMW website only offers Windows or MacOS options. I use Linux. What
> do I do?
>
> BMW Support: What's Linux?
>
> Me: Oh boy. Only one of the most used Systems for consumer goods and
> technical systems in the world.
>
> BMW: Sorry, we can't help. Go to your BMW Dealer, they can do this for
> you.

I don't know if this will help because it depends on how the map updates
are packaged but on my Toyota's they came as a zip file.

Unzip them to the root of a usb stick then plug it into the car and
turn the ignition on and it updated itself. I am fairly certain that the
Toyota satnavs are based on tom-tom.

Re: Linux? Who he?

<uhe1q2$1mdib$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1071&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1071

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:49:22 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:49 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:40:40 +0100
grinch <grinch@somewhere.net> wrote:

> On 26/10/2023 00:52, Davey wrote:
> > Me: I am trying to download a map update package for my car, but
> > the BMW website only offers Windows or MacOS options. I use Linux.
> > What do I do?
> >
> > BMW Support: What's Linux?
> >
> > Me: Oh boy. Only one of the most used Systems for consumer goods and
> > technical systems in the world.
> >
> > BMW: Sorry, we can't help. Go to your BMW Dealer, they can do this
> > for you.
> >
> I don't know if this will help because it depends on how the map
> updates are packaged but on my Toyota's they came as a zip file.
>
> Unzip them to the root of a usb stick then plug it into the car and
> turn the ignition on and it updated itself. I am fairly certain that
> the Toyota satnavs are based on tom-tom.

1. I have booked in at my 'local' dealer to get the update installed.

2. I have a Windows 7 or 8 machine, which does not normally talk to the
internet, it is there for some program(s) that Ubuntu cannot run. I was
thinking of connecting this (imagine the updates to come!), as I would
like to find a workable solution for me to be able to use in future,
rather than relying on a booked visit to the dealer.

3. I have history with Tom-tom! When we moved into this house, we would
be in the living room and would hear the sound of a large diesel engine
outside. Looking through the window would show a truck radiator grill,
with the truck trying, unsuccessfully, to negotiate an acute angled
corner right in front of my house. Each time this happened, the driver
blamed the Tom tom. I managed to open a Tom tom account, despite not
having a Tom tom device, and found a forum on the website, for
customers unhappy with Tom tom as a company. There were hundreds of
such messages. Then one day, it was closed down "due to lack of
interest" Yeah, right.

--
Davey.

Re: Linux? Who he?

<uhe38i$1n01h$1@cool110.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1072&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1072

From: mar...@cool110.eternal-september.org (Mark Wane)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:14:10 -0000 (UTC)
2NStlYRWOy8h ISRYUk9t0wnzAAABz0lEQVQ4jX
2STW7jMAyFCST1elQH3ke6QG
_NmvK4wlNezELN2AEn3P0JJSUGQ aT3c+X3m45+A
igZ8D1r3QE3ZvoO4B7h6KRiY
_15eMtaWIznx7yAW4eZUtKODuOTxBETUmop4g4Nb0
LOB+MenWEgqEtVeOJ28QDW
_36/xMcORozIuLpszkAN/DGJPJsnZmqniDHupA39iM6a+3516A6Qeog
duCmWrsB
8cpSQirg7KgPWKguNzOxx6tHpMfsVBeSOQYeBUwPkHJtLidaAx9WXNoih5ZRSji
Sz+/j iAv1XZW23TDcTXiX4h9TX0lJFaT1PtF8l
r6WukMBa/OK/uRnJ7N/QJ1QY
_PMib2h0sxVQP8WqPQfy F/4zYweykpLbcWuGda9
AiQCDVqxqCQpAul79RzNQrNp
_yGZI+griWozd+nN3sqh4YVu6hVuLkxEoS GAoTV
UByELnHtfWooD/pozgJ+N0No
_MSm45WkK2fPqb08uWB9fAcBXpuyWI8k4NbAIuOYuV5dtxUe
YAhRq2sVHX4IkP/
_WEhNpBtoWCBn4Uyvj5dTbbeEWyJsUlrgk89QlBBxEcMr+AVArorIXwIfZ/hQQ
8 UfdwrYHdpws7CRY2En4D9jR7RcBut++gPz/gAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
 by: Mark Wane - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:14 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:40:40 +0100, grinch wrote:

> On 26/10/2023 00:52, Davey wrote:
>> Me: I am trying to download a map update package for my car, but the
>> BMW website only offers Windows or MacOS options. I use Linux. What do
>> I do?
>>
>> BMW Support: What's Linux?
>>
>> Me: Oh boy. Only one of the most used Systems for consumer goods and
>> technical systems in the world.
>>
>> BMW: Sorry, we can't help. Go to your BMW Dealer, they can do this for
>> you.
>>
> I don't know if this will help because it depends on how the map updates
> are packaged but on my Toyota's they came as a zip file.
>
> Unzip them to the root of a usb stick then plug it into the car and
> turn the ignition on and it updated itself. I am fairly certain that the
> Toyota satnavs are based on tom-tom.

I did get the Kia/Hyundai updater running under WINE, that one downloads
individual files that you copy over to an SD card.

--
Mark Wane
Matrix: @mark:cool110.xyz
ActivityPub: @mark@social.cool110.xyz

Re: Linux? Who he?

<XIy*wrQtz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1073&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1073

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 26 Oct 2023 17:18:33 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:18 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> 1. I have booked in at my 'local' dealer to get the update installed.
>
> 2. I have a Windows 7 or 8 machine, which does not normally talk to the
> internet, it is there for some program(s) that Ubuntu cannot run. I was
> thinking of connecting this (imagine the updates to come!), as I would
> like to find a workable solution for me to be able to use in future,
> rather than relying on a booked visit to the dealer.

It sounds like there's some kind of app to download. I'm not sure if
that app is a tool to download the satnav data, or if it contains
everything needed. If the latter, you could download the app, copy it
to the Win7/8 machine, run it, and create an installer USB stick.

If it wants to download things in the app, maybe you could set up a
Windows virtual machine on your Linux system just for the purpose of
doing this download. It's simple to download a Windows 10 installer ISO
from the Microsoft site these days:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

and they will install and run happily without needing licence keys
(just with a nag in the corner). Virtualbox would be my recommendation
for a simple and free VM host software.

Once you have the VM installed, boot it up, download the BMW software,
let it do its stuff. You can pass through a USB stick to the VM so it
writes it directly from Windows - on Ubuntu, add your username to the
'vboxusers' group:

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER

and logout/log back in before Virtualbox will see your USB devices.

Theo

Re: Linux? Who he?

<uhe53d$1nhm9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1074&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1074

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:45:32 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:45 UTC

On 26 Oct 2023 17:18:33 +0100 (BST)
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > 1. I have booked in at my 'local' dealer to get the update
> > installed.
> >
> > 2. I have a Windows 7 or 8 machine, which does not normally talk to
> > the internet, it is there for some program(s) that Ubuntu cannot
> > run. I was thinking of connecting this (imagine the updates to
> > come!), as I would like to find a workable solution for me to be
> > able to use in future, rather than relying on a booked visit to the
> > dealer.
>
> It sounds like there's some kind of app to download. I'm not sure if
> that app is a tool to download the satnav data, or if it contains
> everything needed. If the latter, you could download the app, copy it
> to the Win7/8 machine, run it, and create an installer USB stick.
>
> If it wants to download things in the app, maybe you could set up a
> Windows virtual machine on your Linux system just for the purpose of
> doing this download. It's simple to download a Windows 10 installer
> ISO from the Microsoft site these days:
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO
>
> and they will install and run happily without needing licence keys
> (just with a nag in the corner). Virtualbox would be my
> recommendation for a simple and free VM host software.
>
> Once you have the VM installed, boot it up, download the BMW software,
> let it do its stuff. You can pass through a USB stick to the VM so it
> writes it directly from Windows - on Ubuntu, add your username to the
> 'vboxusers' group:
>
> sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER
>
> and logout/log back in before Virtualbox will see your USB devices.
>
> Theo

Thanks. More to add to the To-Do list!

--
Davey.

Re: Linux? Who he?

<uhe58e$1nhm9$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1075&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1075

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:48:14 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:48 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:14:10 -0000 (UTC)
Mark Wane <mark@cool110.eternal-september.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:40:40 +0100, grinch wrote:
>
> > On 26/10/2023 00:52, Davey wrote:
> >> Me: I am trying to download a map update package for my car, but
> >> the BMW website only offers Windows or MacOS options. I use Linux.
> >> What do I do?
> >>
> >> BMW Support: What's Linux?
> >>
> >> Me: Oh boy. Only one of the most used Systems for consumer goods
> >> and technical systems in the world.
> >>
> >> BMW: Sorry, we can't help. Go to your BMW Dealer, they can do this
> >> for you.
> >>
> > I don't know if this will help because it depends on how the map
> > updates are packaged but on my Toyota's they came as a zip file.
> >
> > Unzip them to the root of a usb stick then plug it into the car and
> > turn the ignition on and it updated itself. I am fairly certain
> > that the Toyota satnavs are based on tom-tom.
>
> I did get the Kia/Hyundai updater running under WINE, that one
> downloads individual files that you copy over to an SD card.

I might try that again, but my recent experiences with WINE have not
been very successful. Maybe because I'm still using Ubuntu 18.04.

Is there any point in trying the MacOS version?

--
Davey.

Re: Linux? Who he?

<uheg6f$1ptu8$1@cool110.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1076&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1076

From: mar...@cool110.eternal-september.org (Mark Wane)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:54:55 -0000 (UTC)
2NStlYRWOy8h ISRYUk9t0wnzAAABz0lEQVQ4jX
2STW7jMAyFCST1elQH3ke6QG
_NmvK4wlNezELN2AEn3P0JJSUGQ aT3c+X3m45+A
igZ8D1r3QE3ZvoO4B7h6KRiY
_15eMtaWIznx7yAW4eZUtKODuOTxBETUmop4g4Nb0
LOB+MenWEgqEtVeOJ28QDW
_36/xMcORozIuLpszkAN/DGJPJsnZmqniDHupA39iM6a+3516A6Qeog
duCmWrsB
8cpSQirg7KgPWKguNzOxx6tHpMfsVBeSOQYeBUwPkHJtLidaAx9WXNoih5ZRSji
Sz+/j iAv1XZW23TDcTXiX4h9TX0lJFaT1PtF8l
r6WukMBa/OK/uRnJ7N/QJ1QY
_PMib2h0sxVQP8WqPQfy F/4zYweykpLbcWuGda9
AiQCDVqxqCQpAul79RzNQrNp
_yGZI+griWozd+nN3sqh4YVu6hVuLkxEoS GAoTV
UByELnHtfWooD/pozgJ+N0No
_MSm45WkK2fPqb08uWB9fAcBXpuyWI8k4NbAIuOYuV5dtxUe
YAhRq2sVHX4IkP/
_WEhNpBtoWCBn4Uyvj5dTbbeEWyJsUlrgk89QlBBxEcMr+AVArorIXwIfZ/hQQ
8 UfdwrYHdpws7CRY2En4D9jR7RcBut++gPz/gAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
 by: Mark Wane - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:54 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:48:14 +0100, Davey wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:14:10 -0000 (UTC)
> Mark Wane <mark@cool110.eternal-september.org> wrote:

>> > I don't know if this will help because it depends on how the map
>> > updates are packaged but on my Toyota's they came as a zip file.
>> >
>> > Unzip them to the root of a usb stick then plug it into the car and
>> > turn the ignition on and it updated itself. I am fairly certain that
>> > the Toyota satnavs are based on tom-tom.
>>
>> I did get the Kia/Hyundai updater running under WINE, that one
>> downloads individual files that you copy over to an SD card.
>>

> I might try that again, but my recent experiences with WINE have not
> been very successful. Maybe because I'm still using Ubuntu 18.04.

Almost certainly. Thanks to Valve making huge progress with Proton and
getting a lot of that upstreamed, WINE has gone through 5 major versions
since then. Even with that being gaming focused it's still made more
general purpose software run a lot better that it used to.

> Is there any point in trying the MacOS version?

I wouldn't bother with that.

--
Mark Wane
Matrix: @mark:cool110.xyz
ActivityPub: @mark@social.cool110.xyz

Re: Linux? Who he?

<uheigc$1rb5u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1077&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1077

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:34:20 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 20:34 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:54:55 -0000 (UTC)
Mark Wane <mark@cool110.eternal-september.org> wrote:

> > I might try that again, but my recent experiences with WINE have not
> > been very successful. Maybe because I'm still using Ubuntu 18.04.
>
> Almost certainly. Thanks to Valve making huge progress with Proton
> and getting a lot of that upstreamed, WINE has gone through 5 major
> versions since then. Even with that being gaming focused it's still
> made more general purpose software run a lot better that it used to.

You have lost me completely! But I get your drift. If I remember, I
stuck with 18.04 because 20.04 would not do something that 18.04 would
without complaint. I can't remember what, though.

> > Is there any point in trying the MacOS version?
>
> I wouldn't bother with that.

I didn't think so, I was just wondering. I'll get the old Windows
machine fired up, and try that, that's easiest to do.

--
Davey.

Re: Linux? Who he?

<653b9b93.1397949562@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1079&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1079

From: nos...@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 11:16:36 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 11:16 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:52:52 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
wrote:

>Me: I am trying to download a map update package for my car, but
>the BMW website only offers Windows or MacOS options. I use Linux. What
>do I do?
>
>BMW Support: What's Linux?
>
>Me: Oh boy. Only one of the most used Systems for consumer goods and
>technical systems in the world.
>
>BMW: Sorry, we can't help. Go to your BMW Dealer, they can do this for
>you.

On a similar note I was moving ISP from Zen to BTInternet some 15yrs
ago and tried to ask BT if they supported Newsgroups - "Ah yes, you
can get the news via your browser" was the response.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Linux? Who he?

<uhglhv$2b9j5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1080&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1080

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:38:39 +0100
 by: Davey - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:38 UTC

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 11:16:36 GMT
nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL) wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:52:52 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >Me: I am trying to download a map update package for my car, but
> >the BMW website only offers Windows or MacOS options. I use Linux.
> >What do I do?
> >
> >BMW Support: What's Linux?
> >
> >Me: Oh boy. Only one of the most used Systems for consumer goods and
> >technical systems in the world.
> >
> >BMW: Sorry, we can't help. Go to your BMW Dealer, they can do this
> >for you.
> >

> On a similar note I was moving ISP from Zen to BTInternet some 15yrs
> ago and tried to ask BT if they supported Newsgroups - "Ah yes, you
> can get the news via your browser" was the response.

I doubt that there have been many people who moved from Zen to
BTAnything. When I was getting ready to move back here from the US, I
asked people locally who to choose as my ISP. "Anybody except BT" was
the general reply.
--
Davey.

Re: Linux? Who he?

<uhgn04$2b9j5$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1081&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1081

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:03:16 +0100
 by: Davey - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:03 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:34:20 +0100
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:54:55 -0000 (UTC)
> Mark Wane <mark@cool110.eternal-september.org> wrote:
>

> > > I might try that again, but my recent experiences with WINE have
> > > not been very successful. Maybe because I'm still using Ubuntu
> > > 18.04.
> >
> > Almost certainly. Thanks to Valve making huge progress with Proton
> > and getting a lot of that upstreamed, WINE has gone through 5 major
> > versions since then. Even with that being gaming focused it's still
> > made more general purpose software run a lot better that it used
> > to.
>
> You have lost me completely! But I get your drift. If I remember, I
> stuck with 18.04 because 20.04 would not do something that 18.04 would
> without complaint. I can't remember what, though.
>
> > > Is there any point in trying the MacOS version?
> >
> > I wouldn't bother with that.
> >
> I didn't think so, I was just wondering. I'll get the old Windows
> machine fired up, and try that, that's easiest to do.

The windows machine did not want to be updated, it last talked to the
internet on 1921. First, MacAffee failed to update, it just sat there
rotating its wheel, with no effect. Then when I tried to go direct to
Windows Update, it found a list of 29 items, but when told to download
and install them, it also tried but failed, showing 0MB to download,
and 0% transferred, however long I left it.
I'm back with Linux again!

I'll wait until I go to the dealer and let them do the update, I am
just wasting my time trying to do it online.

I remembered that the reason I did not go beyond 18.04 (see above) was
that 20.04 would not recognise my scanner, which I use a fair amount. I
might try a more recent one, for a test.

--
Davey.