Youth of today! Join me in a mass rally for traditional mental attitudes!

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?

SubjectAuthor
* Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?Chris
`* Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?Jaimie Vandenbergh
 +* Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?David Kennedy
 |`- Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?Chris
 `* Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?Chris
  +* Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?Jaimie Vandenbergh
  |`- Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?Chris
  `- Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?Chris Ridd

1
Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?

<tga1du$14qmv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10687&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10687

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 16:21:34 +0100
 by: Chris - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:21 UTC

My daughter's started an animation HND and the above software are
required tools for the course. She's currently got my old MBA (Early
2014) which is obviously not really up to the task.

Does anyone have experience of either or both on Apple Silicon hardware?
I suspect the more RAM the better although both state a minimum of 8GB.

I see that Maya isn't Native yet nor mentions the Apple Silicon GPUs in
tested/certified list of hardware so how well does it run under Rosetta
2? I'd be loathe to get a new Mac and for Maya to be glitchy or poorly
performing. Looking at the Autodesk forum it seems many are either
moving to blender or moving away from Apple as the developers are saying
very little. Not promising...

Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?

<jorh0oFp5v8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10688&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10688

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?
Date: 19 Sep 2022 15:43:20 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:43 UTC

On 19 Sep 2022 at 16:21:34 BST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> My daughter's started an animation HND and the above software are
> required tools for the course. She's currently got my old MBA (Early
> 2014) which is obviously not really up to the task.
>
> Does anyone have experience of either or both on Apple Silicon hardware?
> I suspect the more RAM the better although both state a minimum of 8GB.
>
> I see that Maya isn't Native yet nor mentions the Apple Silicon GPUs in
> tested/certified list of hardware so how well does it run under Rosetta
> 2?

In general, even the 'lowly' M1 will run Intel code as fast as an i7 MBP
does, and has faster graphics hardware. The M2 is reckoned to be 10%+
faster. But I have no direct experience of Maya or Harmony,
unfortunately.

I wouldn't trust Autodesk to be competent, but Apple do the one month
return thing so assuming she's got access to licenses via school (or
they do limited demos) I'd say just get one and try it if you can front
the cash.

Definitely 16gig for Maya, ideally 24gig if you're going M2. Avoid the
13" MBP, Air is a better machine in almost all ways.

This looks promising https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTFPITVAD0

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I always wanted to be someone. I should have been more specific.
-- Lily Tomlin

Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?

<NNqcnX9KO_WXBrX-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10689&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10689

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 17:38:34 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 16:38 UTC

On 19/09/2022 16:43, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2022 at 16:21:34 BST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> My daughter's started an animation HND and the above software are
>> required tools for the course. She's currently got my old MBA (Early
>> 2014) which is obviously not really up to the task.
>>
>> Does anyone have experience of either or both on Apple Silicon hardware?
>> I suspect the more RAM the better although both state a minimum of 8GB.
>>
>> I see that Maya isn't Native yet nor mentions the Apple Silicon GPUs in
>> tested/certified list of hardware so how well does it run under Rosetta
>> 2?
>
> In general, even the 'lowly' M1 will run Intel code as fast as an i7 MBP
> does, and has faster graphics hardware. The M2 is reckoned to be 10%+
> faster. But I have no direct experience of Maya or Harmony,
> unfortunately.
>
> I wouldn't trust Autodesk to be competent, but Apple do the one month
> return thing so assuming she's got access to licenses via school (or
> they do limited demos) I'd say just get one and try it if you can front
> the cash.

And maybe go the Educational discount route?

> Definitely 16gig for Maya, ideally 24gig if you're going M2. Avoid the
> 13" MBP, Air is a better machine in almost all ways.
>
> This looks promising https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTFPITVAD0
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?

<tgaau8$1773b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10690&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10690

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 18:03:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:gz5G9zlkNsKCG2EG9zSPaEFngao=
 by: Chris - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 18:03 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2022 at 16:21:34 BST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> My daughter's started an animation HND and the above software are
>> required tools for the course. She's currently got my old MBA (Early
>> 2014) which is obviously not really up to the task.
>>
>> Does anyone have experience of either or both on Apple Silicon hardware?
>> I suspect the more RAM the better although both state a minimum of 8GB.
>>
>> I see that Maya isn't Native yet nor mentions the Apple Silicon GPUs in
>> tested/certified list of hardware so how well does it run under Rosetta
>> 2?
>
> In general, even the 'lowly' M1 will run Intel code as fast as an i7 MBP
> does, and has faster graphics hardware.

It depends on the implementation. Rosetta 2 only implements a fairly old
intel instruction set so any usage of more modern acceleration will be
badly affected.

> The M2 is reckoned to be 10%+
> faster. But I have no direct experience of Maya or Harmony,
> unfortunately.

The advantage of the M2 is >16 GB although, that's outside our budget
realistically.

> I wouldn't trust Autodesk to be competent, but Apple do the one month
> return thing so assuming she's got access to licenses via school (or
> they do limited demos) I'd say just get one and try it if you can front
> the cash.

We could do a demo on my M1 MBP with 16 GB.

> Definitely 16gig for Maya, ideally 24gig if you're going M2. Avoid the
> 13" MBP, Air is a better machine in almost all ways.

Agree. I'm also considering the mini.

> This looks promising https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTFPITVAD0

It does! Thanks.

Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?

<tgaau8$1773b$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10691&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10691

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 18:03:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+xTmvQ7YS42NFlorkm3KAJFx0hQ=

David Kennedy <davidkennedygm@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/09/2022 16:43, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> On 19 Sep 2022 at 16:21:34 BST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> My daughter's started an animation HND and the above software are
>>> required tools for the course. She's currently got my old MBA (Early
>>> 2014) which is obviously not really up to the task.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have experience of either or both on Apple Silicon hardware?
>>> I suspect the more RAM the better although both state a minimum of 8GB.
>>>
>>> I see that Maya isn't Native yet nor mentions the Apple Silicon GPUs in
>>> tested/certified list of hardware so how well does it run under Rosetta
>>> 2?
>>
>> In general, even the 'lowly' M1 will run Intel code as fast as an i7 MBP
>> does, and has faster graphics hardware. The M2 is reckoned to be 10%+
>> faster. But I have no direct experience of Maya or Harmony,
>> unfortunately.
>>
>> I wouldn't trust Autodesk to be competent, but Apple do the one month
>> return thing so assuming she's got access to licenses via school (or
>> they do limited demos) I'd say just get one and try it if you can front
>> the cash.
>
> And maybe go the Educational discount route?

Already there. She gets Maya for free via college.

Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?

<josbskFt6oeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10694&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10694

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 19 Sep 2022 23:21:56 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 23:21 UTC

On 19 Sep 2022 at 19:03:52 BST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> We could do a demo on my M1 MBP with 16 GB.

Ah! Yes, definitely this.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean
by infinity is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity."

Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?

<tgbr6c$1dsfg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10699&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10699

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 08:47:23 +0100
 by: Chris - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 07:47 UTC

On 20/09/2022 00:21, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2022 at 19:03:52 BST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We could do a demo on my M1 MBP with 16 GB.
>
> Ah! Yes, definitely this.

Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier... d'oh!

Thanks for the help Jamie, as always.

Re: Any users of Maya and Harmony for animation?

<tgekoh$1pkk1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10708&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10708

From: chrisr...@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 10:15:58 +0100
 by: Chris Ridd - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 09:15 UTC

On 19/09/2022 19:03, Chris wrote:
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>> On 19 Sep 2022 at 16:21:34 BST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> My daughter's started an animation HND and the above software are
>>> required tools for the course. She's currently got my old MBA (Early
>>> 2014) which is obviously not really up to the task.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have experience of either or both on Apple Silicon hardware?
>>> I suspect the more RAM the better although both state a minimum of 8GB.
>>>
>>> I see that Maya isn't Native yet nor mentions the Apple Silicon GPUs in
>>> tested/certified list of hardware so how well does it run under Rosetta
>>> 2?
>>
>> In general, even the 'lowly' M1 will run Intel code as fast as an i7 MBP
>> does, and has faster graphics hardware.
>
> It depends on the implementation. Rosetta 2 only implements a fairly old
> intel instruction set so any usage of more modern acceleration will be
> badly affected.

Unless the app uses Apple's accelerate framework to get these "modern"
accelerated features, in which case I *suspect* you won't then be badly
affected by Rosetta.

But ultimately all we can do is guess; she needs to try the desired app
out on an M1/M2, or talk to one of her lecturers/TAs who already is.

--
Chris