If things don't improve soon, you'd better ask them to stop helping you.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Ivy!

SubjectAuthor
* Ivy!Primrose
+* Re: Ivy!Chris Hogg
|+* Re: Ivy!Jim S
||`- Re: Ivy!Andy Burns
|`* Re: Ivy!Chris Bacon
| +- Re: Ivy!Bill Davy
| `- Re: Ivy!Andy Burns
+* Re: Ivy!The Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Ivy!Bob Hobden
+* Re: Ivy!Primrose
|`* Re: Ivy!Janet
| `- Re: Ivy!Primrose
`- Re: Ivy!Janet

1
Ivy!

<sakgre$mgb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1045&group=uk.rec.gardening#1045

From: me...@flowers.net (Primrose)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Ivy!
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:27:57 +0100
 by: Primrose - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 10:27 UTC

Next door have poisoned my variegated ivy with something. Within two
weeks it changed from a healthy green to a crinkled brown. What could
they have used to have cause that?
--
I'm a sew and sow!

Re: Ivy!

<f6jrcghlnk9nefietk55qgk8tbthg5ce8p@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1046&group=uk.rec.gardening#1046

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Ivy!
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:01:41 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:01 UTC

On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:27:57 +0100, Primrose <me@flowers.net> wrote:

>Next door have poisoned my variegated ivy with something. Within two
>weeks it changed from a healthy green to a crinkled brown. What could
>they have used to have cause that?

Any number of things. Glyphosate spray, although SBK brushwood spray
may be quicker and more effective; watered the roots with something,
even a strong salt solution would probably work; chopped off at the
base, or perhaps it got dry and just died all by itself - no
neighborly intervention required.

If you ever find out, post it here. People often want to know how to
kill ivy!

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Ivy!

<14o82d420bxuk$.pz3uziuwqc25.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1047&group=uk.rec.gardening#1047

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:36:56 +0100
 by: Jim S - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:36 UTC

On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:01:41 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:27:57 +0100, Primrose <me@flowers.net> wrote:
>
>>Next door have poisoned my variegated ivy with something. Within two
>>weeks it changed from a healthy green to a crinkled brown. What could
>>they have used to have cause that?
>
> Any number of things. Glyphosate spray, although SBK brushwood spray
> may be quicker and more effective; watered the roots with something,
> even a strong salt solution would probably work; chopped off at the
> base, or perhaps it got dry and just died all by itself - no
> neighborly intervention required.
>
> If you ever find out, post it here. People often want to know how to
> kill ivy!

Resolva 24H works or to be correct it worked last time I used it. However
the new bottle says 'no Glyphosate' so I've yet to try it.
--
Jim S

Re: Ivy!

<sakp7r$cp8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1048&group=uk.rec.gardening#1048

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 13:51:08 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:51 UTC

On 19/06/2021 12:01, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:27:57 +0100, Primrose <me@flowers.net> wrote:
>> Next door have poisoned my variegated ivy with something. Within two
>> weeks it changed from a healthy green to a crinkled brown. What could
>> they have used to have cause that?
>
> Any number of things. Glyphosate spray, although SBK brushwood spray
> may be quicker and more effective; watered the roots with something,
> even a strong salt solution would probably work; chopped off at the
> base, or perhaps it got dry and just died all by itself - no
> neighborly intervention required.
>
> If you ever find out, post it here. People often want to know how to
> kill ivy!

I'd say glyphosphate too. I am currently in the process of an ivy
eradication programme. It's growing up my workshop, as well as into it,
up my mum's house wall, and in through the airbrick, and all over the
weeping willow and horse chestnut, plus it's absolutely carpeted a
flower bed.

So.

Where there are thick stems, make some cuts into it with a hatchet, saw
or whatever. Don't go too deep, say 1/3 through. You should do this as
close to trhe ground as you can. Make a couple of cuts, each above the
other.

Into the cuts, starting at the top one, dribble some neat 360g/l
glyphosphate (Roundup Proactive), and cover against rain. You need about
2cc per 4" thickness, so most ivy needs a lot less. You could probably
drill a hole in the stem, and fill that.

You can also spray the wretched stuff, but only when there are nice
fresh bright green leaves that have noyt had time to develop a waxy cuticle.

Be a bit careful if there's a lot growing up a tree you care about.
Because it's in intimate contact, ther may be some transfer. In this
case, I would lop the ivy off and treat the cut stem.

You should be able to get 1L of Roundup Proactive (used to be called
"Biactive" for about £25. Good stuff when it's actually necessary to use
such things.

Re: Ivy!

<saksfu$6r4$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1056&group=uk.rec.gardening#1056

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 14:46:38 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 13:46 UTC

On 19/06/2021 11:27, Primrose wrote:
> Next door have poisoned my variegated ivy with something.  Within two
> weeks it changed from a healthy green to a crinkled brown.   What could
> they have used to have cause that?

I generally find that the best way to achieve that effect is to get at
the rising stems and deprive the plant of water by snipping them....

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Re: Ivy!

<ij6cd3Fc2tvU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1058&group=uk.rec.gardening#1058

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 15:13:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 14:13 UTC

Jim S wrote:

> Resolva 24H works or to be correct it worked last time I used it. However
> the new bottle says 'no Glyphosate' so I've yet to try it.

New active ingredient is geranium juice ...

Re: Ivy!

<sal197$v0s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1059&group=uk.rec.gardening#1059

From: bob-hob...@yahoo.com (Bob Hobden)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 16:08:22 +0100
 by: Bob Hobden - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 15:08 UTC

On 19 Jun 2021 14:46, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 19/06/2021 11:27, Primrose wrote:
>> Next door have poisoned my variegated ivy with something.  Within two
>> weeks it changed from a healthy green to a crinkled brown.   What could
>> they have used to have cause that?
>
> I generally find that the best way to achieve that effect is to get at
> the rising stems and deprive the plant of water by snipping them....

Yes, Ivy has no dormant buds below ground so if you cut it from it's
roots just below ground level it dies. No chemicals needed.

--
Regards.
Bob Hobden

Re: Ivy!

<ij8a6iFn408U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1061&group=uk.rec.gardening#1061

From: Bil...@XchelSys.co.uk (Bill Davy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 08:48:35 +0100
 by: Bill Davy - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 07:48 UTC

On 19/06/2021 13:51, Chris Bacon wrote:
> On 19/06/2021 12:01, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:27:57 +0100, Primrose <me@flowers.net> wrote:
>>> Next door have poisoned my variegated ivy with something.  Within two
>>> weeks it changed from a healthy green to a crinkled brown.   What could
>>> they have used to have cause that?
>>
>> Any number of things. Glyphosate spray, although SBK brushwood spray
>> may be quicker and more effective; watered the roots with something,
>> even a strong salt solution would probably work; chopped off at the
>> base, or perhaps it got dry and just died all by itself - no
>> neighborly intervention required.
>>
>> If you ever find out, post it here. People often want to know how to
>> kill ivy!
>
> I'd say glyphosphate too. I am currently in the process of an ivy
> eradication programme. It's growing up my workshop, as well as into it,
> up my mum's house wall, and in through the airbrick, and all over the
> weeping willow and horse chestnut, plus it's absolutely carpeted a
> flower bed.
>
> So.
>
> Where there are thick stems, make some cuts into it with a hatchet, saw
> or whatever. Don't go too deep, say 1/3 through. You should do this as
> close to trhe ground as you can. Make a couple of cuts, each above the
> other.
>
> Into the cuts, starting at the top one, dribble some neat 360g/l
> glyphosphate (Roundup Proactive), and cover against rain. You need about
> 2cc per 4" thickness, so most ivy needs a lot less. You could probably
> drill a hole in the stem, and fill that.
>
> You can also spray the wretched stuff, but only when there are nice
> fresh bright green leaves that have noyt had time to develop a waxy
> cuticle.
>
> Be a bit careful if there's a lot growing up a tree you care about.
> Because it's in intimate contact, ther may be some transfer. In this
> case, I would lop the ivy off and treat the cut stem.
>
> You should be able to get 1L of Roundup Proactive (used to be called
> "Biactive" for about £25. Good stuff when it's actually necessary to use
> such things.

For plants with shiny leaves(ivy,privet) which I take to be a protective
layer, I beat foliage with a bundle of twigs, a la John Cleese. It is
also good for releasing stress. Then spray with a poison of your choice
(mine is glyphosate, diluted from 360 to something like 90 to 180).

Re: Ivy!

<ij8btgFnffpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1062&group=uk.rec.gardening#1062

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 09:17:51 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 08:17 UTC

Chris Bacon wrote:

> You should be able to get 1L of Roundup Proactive (used to be called
> "Biactive" for about £25

I've not checked the 1 litre prices, but in the 5 litre size, Gallup
Hi-Aktiv 480g/l is about the same price as Monsanto Roundup 360g/l,
making it effectively 1/3 cheaper ...

Re: Ivy!

<san01l$20h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1063&group=uk.rec.gardening#1063

From: me...@flowers.net (Primrose)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 09:59:34 +0100
 by: Primrose - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 08:59 UTC

On 19/06/2021 11:27, Primrose wrote:
> Next door have poisoned my variegated ivy with something.  Within two
> weeks it changed from a healthy green to a crinkled brown.   What could
> they have used to have cause that?

Many thanks for your replies. I'll let you know if I find out what was
used to kill the ivy but every time I see the next door neighbour she
disappears like magic.

--
I'm a sew and sow!

Re: Ivy!

<MPG.3b392ce9275b1df2989a80@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1066&group=uk.rec.gardening#1066

From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:46:42 +0100
 by: Janet - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 10:46 UTC

In article <sakgre$mgb$1@gioia.aioe.org>, me@flowers.net says...

> Next door have poisoned my variegated ivy with something. Within two
> weeks it changed from a healthy green to a crinkled brown. What could
> they have used to have cause that?

Probably one of those longterm-effective soil weedkillers used on
gravel and path; it could have spread through the soil from use on
their adjacent paved/gravel area/along your boundary.

Ivy leaves are so waxy and "waterproof" they are pretty resistant to
foliar translocating weedkiller; making it unlikely they leaned over the
fence and sprayed your ivy intending to kill it.

Janet

Re: Ivy!

<MPG.3b392db58e5f1356989a81@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1067&group=uk.rec.gardening#1067

From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:50:02 +0100
 by: Janet - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 10:50 UTC

In article <san01l$20h$1@gioia.aioe.org>, me@flowers.net says...

every time I see the next door neighbour she
> disappears like magic.

Now that repellent would be a best-selling garden product

Janet

Re: Ivy!

<san7pv$125u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1069&group=uk.rec.gardening#1069

From: me...@flowers.net (Primrose)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 12:12:00 +0100
 by: Primrose - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:12 UTC

On 20/06/2021 11:50, Janet wrote:
> In article <san01l$20h$1@gioia.aioe.org>, me@flowers.net says...
>>
> every time I see the next door neighbour she
>> disappears like magic.
>
> Now that repellent would be a best-selling garden product
>
> Janet

<LOL> It certainly would.

--
I'm a sew and sow!