From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Replacement for ivy.
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 16:44:40 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 15:44 UTC

That's the ivy growing on my small workshop (~5500mm long). The building
is arranged north-south, with an apple tree at the southern end, and ivy
all over the west wall, which is going to go (the ivy, not the wall).

So. Any suggestions for something that:

1) Is not invasive (the ivy grows in through the walls and eaves, which
are only 2000mm high).
2) Is evergreen.
3) Is reasonably easily controllable in terms of spread.
4) Flowers, with highly fragrant blooms, preferably for an extended period.
5) Isn't thorny.

Some sort of jasmine? Something else? Suggestions most welcome.

Re: Replacement for ivy.

<sanvta$83e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1072&group=uk.rec.gardening#1072

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Replacement for ivy.
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 19:03:21 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 18:03 UTC

On 20/06/2021 16:44, Chris Bacon wrote:
> That's the ivy growing on my small workshop (~5500mm long). The building
> is arranged north-south, with an apple tree at the southern end, and ivy
> all over the west wall, which is going to go (the ivy, not the wall).
>
> So. Any suggestions for something that:
>
> 1) Is not invasive (the ivy grows in through the walls and eaves, which
> are only 2000mm high).
> 2) Is evergreen.
> 3) Is reasonably easily controllable in terms of spread.
> 4) Flowers, with highly fragrant blooms, preferably for an extended period.
> 5) Isn't thorny.
>
> Some sort of jasmine? Something else? Suggestions most welcome.

Depends somewhat on where you are. In general, evergreen climbers are
not hardy everywhere in the UK. Have a look at these:

Rhyncospermum (Trachelospermum) jasminoides.
Holboellia (Stauntonia) latfolia, coriacea, or hexaphylla.
Ercilla volubilis.

Then there are evergreen clematis like armandii and cirrhosa, and, if
you can get hold of it, urophylla. Some Passiflora are pretty hardy and
have a nice scent, but you'll need to do your homework carefully to
avoid wasting money.

--

Jeff

Re: Replacement for ivy.

<gd4vcgpsd5gjrqcke8gpjv91cb82pncq99@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1073&group=uk.rec.gardening#1073

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 20:11:07 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 19:11 UTC

On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 19:03:21 +0100, Jeff Layman
<jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Then there are evergreen clematis like armandii and cirrhosa, and, if
>you can get hold of it, urophylla.

Plenty of stockists, in fact. https://tinyurl.com/yfmbgd78

But the flowers are quite small, say a couple of cm or slightly less -
pictures are misleading as there's seldom an indication of scale.
Pretty little thing, though.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Replacement for ivy.

<sapfdm$h0m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1076&group=uk.rec.gardening#1076

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 08:34:15 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 07:34 UTC

On 20/06/2021 19:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 20/06/2021 16:44, Chris Bacon wrote:
>> That's the ivy growing on my small workshop (~5500mm long). The building
>> is arranged north-south, with an apple tree at the southern end, and ivy
>> all over the west wall, which is going to go (the ivy, not the wall).
>>
>> So. Any suggestions for something that:
>>
>> 1) Is not invasive (the ivy grows in through the walls and eaves, which
>> are only 2000mm high).
>> 2) Is evergreen.
>> 3) Is reasonably easily controllable in terms of spread.
>> 4) Flowers, with highly fragrant blooms, preferably for an extended
>> period.
>> 5) Isn't thorny.
>>
>> Some sort of jasmine? Something else? Suggestions most welcome.
>
> Depends somewhat on where you are. In general, evergreen climbers are
> not hardy everywhere in the UK. Have a look at these:
>
> Rhyncospermum (Trachelospermum) jasminoides.
> Holboellia (Stauntonia) latfolia, coriacea, or hexaphylla.
> Ercilla volubilis.
>
> Then there are evergreen clematis like armandii and cirrhosa, and, if
> you can get hold of it, urophylla. Some Passiflora are pretty hardy and
> have a nice scent, but you'll need to do your homework carefully to
> avoid wasting money.

Thank you. I am in the Milton Keynes area, i.e. about 45 miles north of
London, if that's relevant.

Maybe it would be possible to combine two, say Trachelospermum
jasminoides and Clematis cirrhosa. Says he, greedily.

On the other side of the "garden" (it's a blank canvas at the moment).
is a 6' closeboard fence which is mine. Faces east.

Re: Replacement for ivy.

<sapfh1$h0m$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1077&group=uk.rec.gardening#1077

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 08:36:01 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 07:36 UTC

On 20/06/2021 20:11, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 19:03:21 +0100, Jeff Layman
> <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Then there are evergreen clematis like armandii and cirrhosa, and, if
>> you can get hold of it, urophylla.
>
> Plenty of stockists, in fact. https://tinyurl.com/yfmbgd78
>
> But the flowers are quite small, say a couple of cm or slightly less -
> pictures are misleading as there's seldom an indication of scale.
> Pretty little thing, though.

Lots of things are of interest, especially pretty things. I've also got
a south facing house wall, but my goodness, it does get hot[1].

[1] When the sun actually shines.

Re: Replacement for ivy.

<saphj5$t1f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1079&group=uk.rec.gardening#1079

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 09:11:17 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 08:11 UTC

On 21/06/2021 08:34, Chris Bacon wrote:
> On 20/06/2021 19:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 20/06/2021 16:44, Chris Bacon wrote:
>>> That's the ivy growing on my small workshop (~5500mm long). The building
>>> is arranged north-south, with an apple tree at the southern end, and ivy
>>> all over the west wall, which is going to go (the ivy, not the wall).
>>>
>>> So. Any suggestions for something that:
>>>
>>> 1) Is not invasive (the ivy grows in through the walls and eaves, which
>>> are only 2000mm high).
>>> 2) Is evergreen.
>>> 3) Is reasonably easily controllable in terms of spread.
>>> 4) Flowers, with highly fragrant blooms, preferably for an extended
>>> period.
>>> 5) Isn't thorny.
>>>
>>> Some sort of jasmine? Something else? Suggestions most welcome.
>>
>> Depends somewhat on where you are. In general, evergreen climbers are
>> not hardy everywhere in the UK. Have a look at these:
>>
>> Rhyncospermum (Trachelospermum) jasminoides.
>> Holboellia (Stauntonia) latfolia, coriacea, or hexaphylla.
>> Ercilla volubilis.
>>
>> Then there are evergreen clematis like armandii and cirrhosa, and, if
>> you can get hold of it, urophylla. Some Passiflora are pretty hardy and
>> have a nice scent, but you'll need to do your homework carefully to
>> avoid wasting money.
>
> Thank you. I am in the Milton Keynes area, i.e. about 45 miles north of
> London, if that's relevant.

That's fairly south, but of course well away from a coast. In other
words you could get some heavy frosts (unless you are in the middle of a
big town or something like MK). Most of the plants I've suggested should
be ok, although you might get some leaf damage with sustained frosts.

> Maybe it would be possible to combine two, say Trachelospermum
> jasminoides and Clematis cirrhosa. Says he, greedily.

Why not? I grow different climbers together and let them fight it out.

> On the other side of the "garden" (it's a blank canvas at the moment).
> is a 6' closeboard fence which is mine. Faces east.

Many plants will be happy with that, but Camellias are said to suffer on
sunny mornings on east-facing fences after a frosty night.

--

Jeff

Re: Replacement for ivy.

<sapnms$81a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1080&group=uk.rec.gardening#1080

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 10:55:40 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 09:55 UTC

On 20/06/2021 16:44, Chris Bacon wrote:
> That's the ivy growing on my small workshop (~5500mm long). The building
> is arranged north-south, with an apple tree at the southern end, and ivy
> all over the west wall, which is going to go (the ivy, not the wall).
>
> So. Any suggestions for something that:
>
> 1) Is not invasive (the ivy grows in through the walls and eaves, which
> are only 2000mm high).
> 2) Is evergreen.
> 3) Is reasonably easily controllable in terms of spread.
> 4) Flowers, with highly fragrant blooms, preferably for an extended period.
> 5) Isn't thorny.
>
> Some sort of jasmine? Something else? Suggestions most welcome.
Magnolia grandiflora?

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson