Dr. Jekyll had something to Hyde.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Grammar pedant enquiring

SubjectAuthor
* Grammar pedant enquiringJenny M Benson
+- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringKate B
+* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringJoe Kerr
|+* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringBrritSki
||`- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringMike McMillan
|`* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringChris
| `* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringClive Arthur
|  `- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringChris
`* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringPenny
 +- Re: Grammar pedant enquiring + and another thingPenny
 +* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringsteve hague
 |+* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringJoe Kerr
 ||+* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringJohn Ashby
 |||`- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringClive Arthur
 ||`- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringMike McMillan
 |`* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringPenny
 | +- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringMike McMillan
 | `- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringNick Odell
 +* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringMike McMillan
 |`- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringChris
 `* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringSerena Blanchflower
  +* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringMike McMillan
  |`* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringkrw
  | `- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringSam Plusnet
  `* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringkrw
   `* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringSerena Blanchflower
    `* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringNick Odell
     `* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringSerena Blanchflower
      `* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringPenny
       `* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringChris
        +- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringSally Thompson
        +- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringSid Nuncius
        +* Re: Grammar pedant enquiringSam Plusnet
        |`- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringChris
        `- Re: Grammar pedant enquiringSerena Blanchflower

Pages:12
Re: Grammar pedant enquiring

<tepq4p$24dhu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10676&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10676

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Grammar pedant enquiring
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 09:22:49 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 08:22 UTC

On 31/08/2022 22:15, krw wrote:
> On 31.8.22 17:01, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>> The person I spoke to was completely unable to find any reference to
>> Bishop's Waltham[1]
>
> If the bank concerned was Lloyds then I can record that it was my
> father's banking house from about 1958 until he died.

Yes, it was indeed Lloyds, which is still there at the moment, although
not for much longer. The Barclays branch was closed down a year or
three ago.

--
Best wishes, Serena
The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear really tight shoes.

Re: Grammar pedant enquiring

<ao91hhdeh9ej9gcssubnrm2vrcsjk7eqop@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10691&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10691

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 13:41:34 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 12:41 UTC

On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 09:22:49 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>On 31/08/2022 22:15, krw wrote:
>> On 31.8.22 17:01, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>>> The person I spoke to was completely unable to find any reference to
>>> Bishop's Waltham[1]
>>
>> If the bank concerned was Lloyds then I can record that it was my
>> father's banking house from about 1958 until he died.
>
>Yes, it was indeed Lloyds, which is still there at the moment, although
>not for much longer. The Barclays branch was closed down a year or
>three ago.

You are not in Buckingham, by any chance? There was a thing on Radio 4
recently (I could search for it but right now I can't remember which
programme it was) about Barclays closing and Loyds being the last bank
standing but being due to close soon.

On the other hand there are far too many Buckinghams where the last
bank is pulling out so I guess it could be anywhere.

Oh yes. It was "My Name Is..." on Monday morning.

Nick

Re: Grammar pedant enquiring

<teqa50$26g0t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10694&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10694

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 13:55:59 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 12:55 UTC

On 01/09/2022 13:41, Nick Odell wrote:
> You are not in Buckingham, by any chance? There was a thing on Radio 4
> recently (I could search for it but right now I can't remember which
> programme it was) about Barclays closing and Loyds being the last bank
> standing but being due to close soon.

No, I'm in Bishop's Waltham, a small town in Hampshire. It sounds as if
the Buckingham banks may well have been hit by the same rounds[1] of
culling that the BW ones have been.

[1] or, in the case of Barclays, Buckingham may have survived slightly
longer than the BW one[2].
[2] I've just checked, and the local Barclays bank closed on Friday 5
March 2021.

--
Best wishes, Serena
A day without laughter is a day wasted. (Charlie Chaplin)

Re: Grammar pedant enquiring

<jtr1hhl5t27ej40iovmnasgpefcgu41h6g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10703&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10703

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 18:56:58 +0100
 by: Penny - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 17:56 UTC

On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 13:55:59 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>On 01/09/2022 13:41, Nick Odell wrote:
>> You are not in Buckingham, by any chance? There was a thing on Radio 4
>> recently (I could search for it but right now I can't remember which
>> programme it was) about Barclays closing and Loyds being the last bank
>> standing but being due to close soon.
>
>No, I'm in Bishop's Waltham, a small town in Hampshire. It sounds as if
>the Buckingham banks may well have been hit by the same rounds[1] of
>culling that the BW ones have been.

Our local Barclays closed recently. As I rarely visit the town centre these
days, I wasn't aware of this until a week or so after it happened. It seems
I was not the only account holder there who had no idea until they read
about it on facebook. It's not my main bank but I've never got on with
their online banking palaver so I'm a bit miffed I was not made aware, so I
could find another bank to move to, while I could sort it out in branch.

It's the first bank to close in our little town, the largest town in the
very large county, I hope it hasn't started a trend. As was pointed out in
that radio prog Nick mentioned, a bank (or six) in the town centre
increases footfall in surrounding shops, cafes etc.

--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Grammar pedant enquiring

<ter6l9$29ihi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10717&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10717

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 21:02:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ZARAkKcEiaUXjs5WB4eBohheNVI=
 by: Chris - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 21:02 UTC

Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 13:55:59 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> On 01/09/2022 13:41, Nick Odell wrote:
>>> You are not in Buckingham, by any chance? There was a thing on Radio 4
>>> recently (I could search for it but right now I can't remember which
>>> programme it was) about Barclays closing and Loyds being the last bank
>>> standing but being due to close soon.
>>
>> No, I'm in Bishop's Waltham, a small town in Hampshire. It sounds as if
>> the Buckingham banks may well have been hit by the same rounds[1] of
>> culling that the BW ones have been.
>
> Our local Barclays closed recently. As I rarely visit the town centre these
> days, I wasn't aware of this until a week or so after it happened. It seems
> I was not the only account holder there who had no idea until they read
> about it on facebook. It's not my main bank but I've never got on with
> their online banking palaver so I'm a bit miffed I was not made aware, so I
> could find another bank to move to, while I could sort it out in branch.
>
> It's the first bank to close in our little town, the largest town in the
> very large county, I hope it hasn't started a trend. As was pointed out in
> that radio prog Nick mentioned, a bank (or six) in the town centre
> increases footfall in surrounding shops, cafes etc.
>

>> [1] or, in the case of Barclays, Buckingham may have survived slightly
>> longer than the BW one[2].
>> [2] I've just checked, and the local Barclays bank closed on Friday 5
>> March 2021.

I have a few very eccentric school friends. In banking terms, one who
lives in a fairly well known town in the Dales area is a luddite and to my
knowledge will not use an ATM even though there are accessible ways and
means. The bank he joined when he left school had been in his adopted town
of choice for the best part of 40 yrs. Each month he’d go in and get a set
amount of cash. He’d then pay his utilities in cash, phone etc. Think it
was only his council tax was DD. Only big bills were cheque and if he has
to use a card its “chip and pin”. I can vouch for his poor handwriting. I
sat next to him in class. Imagine his horror when the branch closed! All
the staff knew him. Then he had to catch a bus to a neighbouring bigger
famous town and a new branch and start all over again so staff know exactly
his needs again. Dread hearing another move. Such a luddite, he only
brings a mobile on reunion weekends cos his wofe can’t contact him if she’s
taken poorly. Last time it died, one of his mates gave him a cast off
simple as can be phone as you couldn’t buy one that simple now.

Sincerely Chris

Re: Grammar pedant enquiring

<jndp5sFht9pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10728&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10728

From: thompson...@gmail.com.invalid (Sally Thompson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 2 Sep 2022 07:20:28 GMT
 by: Sally Thompson - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 07:20 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 13:55:59 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
>> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>>> No, I'm in Bishop's Waltham, a small town in Hampshire. It sounds as if
>>> the Buckingham banks may well have been hit by the same rounds[1] of
>>> culling that the BW ones have been.
>>
>> Our local Barclays closed recently. As I rarely visit the town centre these
>> days, I wasn't aware of this until a week or so after it happened. It seems
>> I was not the only account holder there who had no idea until they read
>> about it on facebook. It's not my main bank but I've never got on with
>> their online banking palaver so I'm a bit miffed I was not made aware, so I
>> could find another bank to move to, while I could sort it out in branch.
>>
>> It's the first bank to close in our little town, the largest town in the
>> very large county, I hope it hasn't started a trend. As was pointed out in
>> that radio prog Nick mentioned, a bank (or six) in the town centre
>> increases footfall in surrounding shops, cafes etc.
>>

>>> [1] or, in the case of Barclays, Buckingham may have survived slightly
>>> longer than the BW one[2].
>>> [2] I've just checked, and the local Barclays bank closed on Friday 5
>>> March 2021.
>>

> I have a few very eccentric school friends. In banking terms, one who
> lives in a fairly well known town in the Dales area is a luddite and to my
> knowledge will not use an ATM even though there are accessible ways and
> means. The bank he joined when he left school had been in his adopted town
> of choice for the best part of 40 yrs. Each month he’d go in and get a set
> amount of cash. He’d then pay his utilities in cash, phone etc. Think it
> was only his council tax was DD. Only big bills were cheque and if he has
> to use a card its “chip and pin”. I can vouch for his poor handwriting. I
> sat next to him in class. Imagine his horror when the branch closed! All
> the staff knew him. Then he had to catch a bus to a neighbouring bigger
> famous town and a new branch and start all over again so staff know exactly
> his needs again. Dread hearing another move. Such a luddite, he only
> brings a mobile on reunion weekends cos his wofe can’t contact him if she’s
> taken poorly. Last time it died, one of his mates gave him a cast off
> simple as can be phone as you couldn’t buy one that simple now.

I have a similar Luddite friend who has been in the habit of writing a
cheque to Cash, taking it into the bank and withdrawing money. She was
using Barclays which I know closed its local branch very recently, so I
wonder what she'll do. Some people get very left behind. I, on the other
hand, love the ease of online banking and purchasing.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Re: Grammar pedant enquiring

<jndta7FigqeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10735&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10735

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 09:31:03 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 08:31 UTC

On 01/09/2022 22:02, Chris wrote:

> I have a few very eccentric school friends.

IRTA "electric school friends" and now I've got an immovable Tubeway
Army earworm.

--
Sid

Re: Grammar pedant enquiring

<AKtQK.228548$BKL8.33382@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10771&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10771

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 21:31:28 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 20:31 UTC

On 01-Sep-22 22:02, Chris wrote:
> Such a luddite, he only
> brings a mobile on reunion weekends cos his wofe can’t contact him if she’s
> taken poorly. Last time it died, one of his mates gave him a cast off
> simple as can be phone as you couldn’t buy one that simple now.

"Oh yes you can!"

https://www.doro.com/en-gb/products/mobile-phones/

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Grammar pedant enquiring

<tevjil$2sp9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10805&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10805

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 14:07:33 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 13:07 UTC

On 01/09/2022 22:02, Chris wrote:
> Such a luddite, he only
> brings a mobile on reunion weekends cos his wofe can’t contact him if she’s
> taken poorly. Last time it died, one of his mates gave him a cast off
> simple as can be phone as you couldn’t buy one that simple now.

If you look in Tesco (or, no doubt most other phone shops) they still
have basic phones available for not very much, such as

<https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/pay-as-you-go/dash-4g?queryID=b007f4684da2ccc9edd131306b189e32&objectID=42280&indexName=prod_default_products_price_default_asc>

--
Best wishes, Serena
Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive. (Elbert

Re: Grammar pedant enquiring

<tf0dv8$2vp59$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10815&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10815

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 20:38:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KqhjAeg9ejMPOWKdNdsedHM8VIk=
 by: Chris - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 20:38 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 01-Sep-22 22:02, Chris wrote:
>> Such a luddite, he only
>> brings a mobile on reunion weekends cos his wofe can’t contact him if she’s
>> taken poorly. Last time it died, one of his mates gave him a cast off
>> simple as can be phone as you couldn’t buy one that simple now.
>
> "Oh yes you can!"
>
> https://www.doro.com/en-gb/products/mobile-phones/

:).

Mrs McT