You are as I am with You.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Windows 10 file indexing/display problem

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 10 file indexing/display problemJoeJoe
+* Re: Windows 10 file indexing/display problemJaimie Vandenbergh
|`* Re: Windows 10 file indexing/display problemJoeJoe
| `* Re: Windows 10 file indexing/display problemJaimie Vandenbergh
|  `- Re: Windows 10 file indexing/display problemJoeJoe
`- Re: Windows 10 file indexing/display problemAdrian Caspersz

1
Windows 10 file indexing/display problem

<RYWdncEy6a3whk79nZ2dnUU78bXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1072&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1072

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Subject: Windows 10 file indexing/display problem
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 12:30:53 +0100
 by: JoeJoe - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 11:30 UTC

Having a problem with File Explorer under windows 10.

Whenever I try to view the content of a folder it takes for (literally)
ever. The progress bar immediately above the list of files/folders
progress very very slowly - still not displaying anything 10-20 minutes
later.

I had this problem with one folder where all my photos are stored -
approx 30,000 of them, so I assume it has something to do with the
number of files, but as of yesterday, without making any change to the
system, I now have this problem with any folder, on any disk on the
system. There are 3 of them in total - SSD for OS, another SSD for
frequesntly accessed file, and a large HDD.

The desktop is almost new, top of the range Dell machine, the SSDs are
new, the HDD almost new. Again, everything worked just fine until a few
days ago.

Suspected that it had something to do with file indexing by Windows 10,
so tried this:
https://windowsreport.com/file-explorer-slow-windows-10/

None of the relevant disks were ticked - only some OS folder on the OS
SSD - I removed everything that was ticked, just in case. No change.

Tried to boot the system. Everything works fine for a very short time
(managed to access folders twice), and then it returns.

Any idea anyone please?

Re: Windows 10 file indexing/display problem

<ijgmcoFbdvaU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1073&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1073

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Windows 10 file indexing/display problem
Date: 23 Jun 2021 12:05:44 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 12:05 UTC

On 23 Jun 2021 at 12:30:53 BST, "JoeJoe" <no@mail.com> wrote:

> Having a problem with File Explorer under windows 10.
>
> Whenever I try to view the content of a folder it takes for (literally)
> ever. The progress bar immediately above the list of files/folders
> progress very very slowly - still not displaying anything 10-20 minutes
> later.

I've only ever had this show up when a machine had a nasty infection,
but that was in Win7 days most recently. Worth a look though.

Enabling indexing should help rather than hinder, mind. That's what it's
for.

    Cheers - Jaimie
--
"What we have done with PCs so far is not natural"
- Craig Mundie, CTO Microsoft

Re: Windows 10 file indexing/display problem

<L76dnexTqL3-u079nZ2dnUU78U_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1074&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1074

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 13:17:39 +0100
 by: JoeJoe - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 12:17 UTC

On 23/06/2021 13:05, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 23 Jun 2021 at 12:30:53 BST, "JoeJoe" <no@mail.com> wrote:
>
>> Having a problem with File Explorer under windows 10.
>>
>> Whenever I try to view the content of a folder it takes for (literally)
>> ever. The progress bar immediately above the list of files/folders
>> progress very very slowly - still not displaying anything 10-20 minutes
>> later.
>>

> I've only ever had this show up when a machine had a nasty infection,
> but that was in Win7 days most recently. Worth a look though.

Thanks!.

Same here - win 7. I have BitDefender installed. I'll leave it to do a
full system scan (see you in a month or so considering the number of
files on my machine).

running in the
> Enabling indexing should help rather than hinder, mind. That's what it's
> for.

Of course.

I found somewhere that forcing Windows Explorer to restart (via Task
Manager) might help. Just done that, and for the last 5 minutes
everything seems to work fine...

Re: Windows 10 file indexing/display problem

<ijgnncFbmnsU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1075&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1075

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 23 Jun 2021 12:28:28 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 12:28 UTC

On 23 Jun 2021 at 13:17:39 BST, "JoeJoe" <no@mail.com> wrote:

> On 23/06/2021 13:05, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> On 23 Jun 2021 at 12:30:53 BST, "JoeJoe" <no@mail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Having a problem with File Explorer under windows 10.
>>>
>>> Whenever I try to view the content of a folder it takes for (literally)
>>> ever. The progress bar immediately above the list of files/folders
>>> progress very very slowly - still not displaying anything 10-20 minutes
>>> later.
>>>

>> I've only ever had this show up when a machine had a nasty infection,
>> but that was in Win7 days most recently. Worth a look though.
>

> Thanks!.
>
> Same here - win 7.  I have BitDefender installed. I'll leave it to do a
> full system scan (see you in a month or so considering the number of
> files on my machine).

I can't remember details now, but like you restarting Explorer fixed it
for a while. I vaguely think it was an Internet Explorer malware that
chewed up Explorer as well, because Explorer used IE for presentation.

    Cheers - Jaimie
--
"People can be educated beyond their intelligence"
-- Marilyn vos Savant

Re: Windows 10 file indexing/display problem

<OeidnTQ7E8Pmsk79nZ2dnUU78V2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1076&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1076

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 13:56:28 +0100
 by: JoeJoe - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 12:56 UTC

On 23/06/2021 13:28, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 23 Jun 2021 at 13:17:39 BST, "JoeJoe" <no@mail.com> wrote:

>>> I've only ever had this show up when a machine had a nasty infection,
>>> but that was in Win7 days most recently. Worth a look though.
>>

>> Thanks!.
>>
>> Same here - win 7.  I have BitDefender installed. I'll leave it to do a
>> full system scan (see you in a month or so considering the number of
>> files on my machine).
>
> I can't remember details now, but like you restarting Explorer fixed it
> for a while. I vaguely think it was an Internet Explorer malware that
> chewed up Explorer as well, because Explorer used IE for presentation.
>
>     Cheers - Jaimie

Thanks again, Jaimie.

I'll leave BitDefender to do its thing and see what it comes up with.

Re: Windows 10 file indexing/display problem

<ijh41iFe0kmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1077&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1077

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 16:58:42 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 15:58 UTC

On 23/06/2021 12:30, JoeJoe wrote:
> Having a problem with File Explorer under windows 10.
>
> Whenever I try to view the content of a folder it takes for (literally)
> ever. The progress bar immediately above the list of files/folders
> progress very very slowly - still not displaying anything 10-20 minutes
> later.

> Any idea anyone please?

A very long time ago in Windows NT4.0 era, I was using a USB 1.0
smartmedia adaptor to read camera pictures into my PC. I remember the
driver while installed did similar to what you are describing.

Also, windows 10 could be slow generating thumbnails? or not have enough
thumbnail cache.

https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/speed-up-thumbnails-loading-windows-10/

--
Adrian C