Whitehead's Law: The obvious answer is always overlooked.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

SubjectAuthor
* Lee Anderson is quite rightRustyHinge
+- Lee Anderson is quite rightNicholas D. Richards
+* Lee Anderson is quite rightPeter
|`- Lee Anderson is quite rightSam Plusnet
+- Lee Anderson is quite rightAhem A Rivet's Shot
+* Lee Anderson is quite rightBernard Peek

Pages:1234
Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<20220515094447.54a818c04a5afa94dae79fa1@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10720&group=uk.rec.sheds#10720

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Lee Anderson is quite right
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 09:44:47 +0100
<3aUfK.364$C7G6.332@fx46.iad>
<20220514214209.47b5ee6348733889471cec68@127.0.0.1>
<20220514222642.1a37c0f5fe36a76b4cd2b442@eircom.net>
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sun, 15 May 2022 08:44 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 22:26:42 +0100
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 May 2022 21:42:09 +0100
> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 14 May 2022 21:20:14 +0100
> > Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Which promptly received Listed Status as an important piece of modern
> > > art - so the new paths never got laid?
> > >
> > > (Unlike many of the students.)
> > >
> > Sadly not. But it was pre-Tracy Eminem's unmade bed, even before half a
> > shark? "Modern Art" feh.
>
> Before 120 white painted house bricks appeared in the Tate ?
>
> Before Becket's "Breath" ?

Dunno. Like I said Modern Art - Feh. Maybe about the time of the submarine made out of old tyres.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<K8-dnTVWe4P0dx3_nZ2dnUU7-d2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10734&group=uk.rec.sheds#10734

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 06:56:25 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Sun, 15 May 2022 11:56 UTC

Mike Fleming said:
> On 13/05/2022 21:23, Richard Robinson wrote:
>> RustyHinge said:

>>> 30p/day is just silly - and rapidly getting sillier still, but buying
>>> everything processed and/or ready served is piling 'service' costs on
>>> preparation costs on profit on ingredients on cost of ingredients.
>>>
>>> While I used to produce my own flour from grain I grew, harvested ,
>>> winnowed, etc, this was when my cash income was about 10p/day, and I had
>>> a hammer mill and a tractor to drive it.
>>
>> So, we could all feed ourselves Come The Revolution ?
>
> No problem when the population is reduced to a million or two, and we've
> got Rusty to service our tractors and hammer mills.

I have a vague memory (with no backup or references, obv.) of someone
Doing Some Sums, resulting in an estimate that the UK would support a
hunter-gatherer population of maybe a hundred thousand humans.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<K8-dnTRWe4O4dh3_nZ2dnUU7-d2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10735&group=uk.rec.sheds#10735

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 06:59:33 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Sun, 15 May 2022 11:59 UTC

RustyHinge said:
> On 14/05/2022 09:43, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <t5mlll$j1a$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.
>> girolle.co.uk> on Fri, 13 May 2022 at 23:21:42 awoke Nicholas from his
>> slumbers and wrote

>>> Psalad, phurely
>>>
>> Oats are cheaper; you feed horses oats.
>
> And Scots.

Don't the horses complain ? They're not usually carnivorous.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<K8-dnTdWe4Pfdh3_nZ2dnUU7-d2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10736&group=uk.rec.sheds#10736

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 07:00:02 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Sun, 15 May 2022 12:00 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Sat, 14 May 2022 11:17:13 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 14/05/2022 09:43, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>
>> > Oats are cheaper; you feed horses oats.
>>
>> And Scots.
>
> Nah horses are vegetarian.

Curses ! The Foodrays !

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<jec9koFbef3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10739&group=uk.rec.sheds#10739

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 13:22:45 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Sun, 15 May 2022 12:22 UTC

On 15/05/2022 12:56, Richard Robinson wrote:

> I have a vague memory (with no backup or references, obv.) of someone
> Doing Some Sums, resulting in an estimate that the UK would support a
> hunter-gatherer population of maybe a hundred thousand humans.

That seems about right, and the population size would make sure we
stayed that way, as a population that size can not support the high tech
stuff, such as the energy distribution systems we would need we need to
expand the population. In the early bronze age, for instance, it took a
good sized county and established trade routes to support one
metalsmith, and most of them were nomadic anyway, fetching the copper
and tin they needed in person, and travelling a circuit as they used it
up. Much more recently, in the UK, the industrial revolution needed
enough coal miners to supply the energy to run the machinery, once we
ran out of hydro power and wood to burn.

Even the Neolithic people needed a few hundred people in the local area
to support the workers who were needed to quarry and prepare the flint
tools they needed. That is one reaspn the South East has always been
rich. Lots of easily recoverable flint, which could be exchanged for
food from areas quite a distance away, allowing the locals more time to
dig out and prepare the flint.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<20220515134107.b44b6db28085d5c499bc3bee@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10743&group=uk.rec.sheds#10743

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 13:41:07 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 15 May 2022 12:41 UTC

On Sun, 15 May 2022 13:22:45 +0100
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 15/05/2022 12:56, Richard Robinson wrote:
>
> > I have a vague memory (with no backup or references, obv.) of someone
> > Doing Some Sums, resulting in an estimate that the UK would support a
> > hunter-gatherer population of maybe a hundred thousand humans.
> >

> That seems about right, and the population size would make sure we
> stayed that way,

Not so sure about the population size keeping it down but the lack
of easily available resources would scupper any attempt at rebuilding from
there. I doubt there's even much decent flint left under the Downs and as
for surface metals well there's iron ore wherever the cars got dumped but
they'd have to skip bronze.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<g8dgK.868936$xr1.487499@fx02.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10760&group=uk.rec.sheds#10760

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
<$5FQWtANxhfiFAO4@salmiron.com> <je6mnlF91hiU1@mid.individual.net>
<20220513110004.1c674ad89cfbd1501e0783fa@eircom.net>
<H7O+mfBhVjfiFApM@salmiron.com> <je6slhFa163U2@mid.individual.net>
<JXzfK.142333$3b1.110982@fx14.ams1>
<20220514132634.2555c30a49671e6f05c098d6@127.0.0.1>
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 21:11:56 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 15 May 2022 20:11 UTC

On 15-May-22 9:44, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2022 22:26:42 +0100
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 May 2022 21:42:09 +0100
>> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>>> Sadly not. But it was pre-Tracy Eminem's unmade bed, even before half a
>>> shark? "Modern Art" feh.
>>
>> Before 120 white painted house bricks appeared in the Tate ?
>>
>> Before Becket's "Breath" ?
>>
> Dunno. Like I said Modern Art - Feh. Maybe about the time of the submarine made out of old tyres.

I never heard so much as a whisper about that one.
I would have expected it to leak.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<ncdgK.868937$xr1.859003@fx02.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10761&group=uk.rec.sheds#10761

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 21:16:19 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 15 May 2022 20:16 UTC

On 15-May-22 13:41, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2022 13:22:45 +0100
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On 15/05/2022 12:56, Richard Robinson wrote:
>>
>>> I have a vague memory (with no backup or references, obv.) of someone
>>> Doing Some Sums, resulting in an estimate that the UK would support a
>>> hunter-gatherer population of maybe a hundred thousand humans.
>>>

>> That seems about right, and the population size would make sure we
>> stayed that way,
>
> Not so sure about the population size keeping it down but the lack
> of easily available resources would scupper any attempt at rebuilding from
> there. I doubt there's even much decent flint left under the Downs and as
> for surface metals well there's iron ore wherever the cars got dumped but
> they'd have to skip bronze.

"We've struck bronze! I think it's the ruins of an Art Gallery."

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Lee Anderson is quite right

<Z$m5ntA+XXgiFATq@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10766&group=uk.rec.sheds#10766

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 22:51:58 +0100
<$5FQWtANxhfiFAO4@salmiron.com> <je6mnlF91hiU1@mid.individual.net>
<20220513110004.1c674ad89cfbd1501e0783fa@eircom.net>
<H7O+mfBhVjfiFApM@salmiron.com> <je6slhFa163U2@mid.individual.net>
<JXzfK.142333$3b1.110982@fx14.ams1>
<20220514132634.2555c30a49671e6f05c098d6@127.0.0.1>
<3aUfK.364$C7G6.332@fx46.iad>
<20220514214209.47b5ee6348733889471cec68@127.0.0.1>
<20220514222642.1a37c0f5fe36a76b4cd2b442@eircom.net>
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 15 May 2022 21:51 UTC

In article <20220514222642.1a37c0f5fe36a76b4cd2b442@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Sat, 14 May 2022 at 22:26:42 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On Sat, 14 May 2022 21:42:09 +0100
>"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 May 2022 21:20:14 +0100
>> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Which promptly received Listed Status as an important piece of modern
>> > art - so the new paths never got laid?
>> >
>> > (Unlike many of the students.)
>> >
>> Sadly not. But it was pre-Tracy Eminem's unmade bed, even before half a
>> shark? "Modern Art" feh.
>
>Before 120 white painted house bricks appeared in the Tate ?
>
>Before Becket's "Breath" ?

Still waiting for Becket's explanation of "Ogod".
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"