Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Blow torch recommendation request

SubjectAuthor
* Blow torch recommendation requestJames Harris
+* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestJohn Rumm
|+- Re: Blow torch recommendation requestalan_m
|+* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestJames Harris
||+- Re: Blow torch recommendation requestJohn Rumm
||`- Re: Blow torch recommendation requestAnimal
|+- Re: Blow torch recommendation requestTricky Dicky
|+* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestHarry Bloomfield Esq
||+* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestTim Lamb
|||`- Re: Blow torch recommendation requestfred
||`- Re: Blow torch recommendation requestJohn Rumm
|`* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestAndy Burns
| `* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestalan_m
|  `- Re: Blow torch recommendation requestAndy Burns
+* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestAnimal
|`* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestalan_m
| +* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestwasbit
| |`* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestalan_m
| | `* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestwasbit
| |  `* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestThe Natural Philosopher
| |   `- Re: Blow torch recommendation requestTheo
| `- Re: Blow torch recommendation requestJohn J
+* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestJohn J
|`* Re: Blow torch recommendation requestJames Harris
| `- Re: Blow torch recommendation requestfred
`- Re: Blow torch recommendation requestAndy Burns

Pages:12
Blow torch recommendation request

<ugrvpd$h5pr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107407&group=uk.d-i-y#107407

From: james.ha...@gmail.com (James Harris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Blow torch recommendation request
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 20:24:28 +0100
 by: James Harris - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 19:24 UTC

Any recommendations on which blowtorch to buy?

Aside from needing a blowlamp just now to help apply flashing tape on a
lead gulley I don't know if I'd get much other use out of it so cost is
a factor but probably ease of use would be top of the list.

Any value in getting a blowlamp which will run on more than one type of
gas. E.g. MAP and propane or butane and propane as in this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-rofire-propane-butane-blow-torch/82945

I already have some camping gaz gas. It would be handy if that could be
used but not essential.

Alternatively to a DIY unit, would a kitchen-type gas torch be any good
for bitumen / flashing tape. I've no intention to make creme brulee(!)
or otherwise use it in the kitchen but something I could keep indoors
might one day be useful.

In other words, my requirements aren't great but the options seem to be
many.

So any recommendations would be appreciated!

--
James Harris

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<ugs6rm$ih47$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107415&group=uk.d-i-y#107415

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Blow torch recommendation request
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 22:25:10 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 21:25 UTC

On 19/10/2023 20:24, James Harris wrote:
> Any recommendations on which blowtorch to buy?
>
> Aside from needing a blowlamp just now to help apply flashing tape on a
> lead gulley I don't know if I'd get much other use out of it so cost is
> a factor but probably ease of use would be top of the list.
>
> Any value in getting a blowlamp which will run on more than one type of
> gas. E.g. MAP and propane or butane and propane as in this:
>
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-rofire-propane-butane-blow-torch/82945
>
> I already have some camping gaz gas. It would be handy if that could be
> used but not essential.
>
> Alternatively to a DIY unit, would a kitchen-type gas torch be any good
> for bitumen / flashing tape. I've no intention to make creme brulee(!)
> or otherwise use it in the kitchen but something I could keep indoors
> might one day be useful.

IME kitchen ones are a bit too small for most "work" applications...

> In other words, my requirements aren't great but the options seem to be
> many.
>
> So any recommendations would be appreciated!

Probably overkill, but I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2 blowtorches.
They will run on MAPP or propane. They are trigger start - pull the
trigger it lights and runs at your preset output power, let go and it
stops (you can lock it on if you want). It runs from cold in any
orientation and gives a very well focussed flame and a good range of
flame control. Very safe to use - since you can just put it down and let
go, and it is off. It fires reliably first time every time.

SF etc usually want silly money for them, but better deals can be had,
e.g. :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253240447517?epid=23029748253&hash=item3af64e921d:g:H4AAAOSwG8tgS6Qm

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<kpdlfmFkhicU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107416&group=uk.d-i-y#107416

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 22:30:30 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 21:30 UTC

On 19/10/2023 22:25, John Rumm wrote:

> Probably overkill, but I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2 blowtorches.
> They will run on MAPP or propane. They are trigger start - pull the
> trigger it lights and runs at your preset output power, let go and it
> stops (you can lock it on if you want). It runs from cold in any
> orientation and gives a very well focussed flame and a good range of
> flame control. Very safe to use - since you can just put it down and let
> go, and it is off. It fires reliably first time every time.
>
> SF etc usually want silly money for them, but better deals can be had,
> e.g. :
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253240447517?epid=23029748253&hash=item3af64e921d:g:H4AAAOSwG8tgS6Qm

+1
for the Rothenberger Superfire 2 and I agree that they can be silly money.

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<c299dd5a-6892-4ec6-a8e4-e205ee9ec2c6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107417&group=uk.d-i-y#107417

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 14:39:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 21:39 UTC

On Thursday, 19 October 2023 at 20:25:00 UTC+1, James Harris wrote:
> Any recommendations on which blowtorch to buy?
>
> Aside from needing a blowlamp just now to help apply flashing tape on a
> lead gulley I don't know if I'd get much other use out of it so cost is
> a factor but probably ease of use would be top of the list.
>
> Any value in getting a blowlamp which will run on more than one type of
> gas. E.g. MAP and propane or butane and propane as in this:
>
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-rofire-propane-butane-blow-torch/82945
>
> I already have some camping gaz gas. It would be handy if that could be
> used but not essential.
>
> Alternatively to a DIY unit, would a kitchen-type gas torch be any good
> for bitumen / flashing tape. I've no intention to make creme brulee(!)
> or otherwise use it in the kitchen but something I could keep indoors
> might one day be useful.
>
> In other words, my requirements aren't great but the options seem to be
> many.
>
> So any recommendations would be appreciated!

You can buy Chinese ones for a few quid. Nothing wrong with them, they just lack the inbuilt sparker that would save you time if you're doing a lot of work with it.
Canisters are cheapest on ebay iirc.
Kitchen ones, I'm not sure I see the point of them. You pay more for less.
If you encounter an old paraffin/petrol one, beware of their safety issues. Extremely cheap to run but I'd not want to use one indoors.

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<kpdouoFl6sdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107421&group=uk.d-i-y#107421

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 23:29:45 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 22:29 UTC

On 19/10/2023 22:39, Animal wrote:

> You can buy Chinese ones for a few quid. Nothing wrong with them, they just lack the inbuilt sparker that would save you time if you're doing a lot of work with it.
> Canisters are cheapest on ebay iirc.
> Kitchen ones, I'm not sure I see the point of them. You pay more for less.
> If you encounter an old paraffin/petrol one, beware of their safety issues. Extremely cheap to run but I'd not want to use one indoors.

40/60 years ago getting paraffin was easy. Many petrol stations had
paraffin dispensers on the forecourt. I remember when my parents they
had paraffin as their main source of heating a man came around every
week with a big tank in the back of his van to fill household
containers. Now it's expensive (in small quantities) and possibly only
mail order for most of the country.

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<ugtht2$10bhm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107449&group=uk.d-i-y#107449

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:39:46 +0100
 by: wasbit - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:39 UTC

B@Q, but its nearly £12 for less than a gallon
- https://www.diy.com/departments/bartoline-paraffin-4l/257116_BQ.prd

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<kpf2d6FstoaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107453&group=uk.d-i-y#107453

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:17:10 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:17 UTC

On 20/10/2023 10:39, wasbit wrote:
> On 19/10/2023 23:29, alan_m wrote:
>>

>> snip <
>>
>> 40/60 years ago getting paraffin was easy. Many petrol stations had
>> paraffin dispensers on the forecourt. I remember when my parents they
>> had paraffin as their main source of heating a man came around every
>> week with a big tank in the back of his van to fill household
>> containers.  Now it's expensive (in small quantities) and possibly
>> only mail order for most of the country.
>>

> B@Q, but its nearly £12 for less than a gallon
>  - https://www.diy.com/departments/bartoline-paraffin-4l/257116_BQ.prd

Currently unavailable :)

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<10021c82-ee7d-4f73-91fc-a541211a47d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107455&group=uk.d-i-y#107455

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 03:34:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:34 UTC

On Thursday, 19 October 2023 at 20:25:00 UTC+1, James Harris wrote:
> Any recommendations on which blowtorch to buy?
>
> Aside from needing a blowlamp just now to help apply flashing tape on a
> lead gulley I don't know if I'd get much other use out of it so cost is
> a factor but probably ease of use would be top of the list.
>
> Any value in getting a blowlamp which will run on more than one type of
> gas. E.g. MAP and propane or butane and propane as in this:
>
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-rofire-propane-butane-blow-torch/82945
>
> I already have some camping gaz gas. It would be handy if that could be
> used but not essential.
>
> Alternatively to a DIY unit, would a kitchen-type gas torch be any good
> for bitumen / flashing tape. I've no intention to make creme brulee(!)
> or otherwise use it in the kitchen but something I could keep indoors
> might one day be useful.
>
> In other words, my requirements aren't great but the options seem to be
> many.
>
> So any recommendations would be appreciated!
>

> --
> James Harris
I've got a Bullfinch with clicker ignition that has a small (football sized) propane bottle for real work and a small one for 7se with my beekeeping sublimation kit. The small one is remarkably handy, cheap and powerful. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165810513712?var=465316510631

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<15bc5db2-f038-4a40-8626-c77706a551b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107456&group=uk.d-i-y#107456

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 03:37:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:37 UTC

On Thursday, 19 October 2023 at 23:29:50 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
> On 19/10/2023 22:39, Animal wrote:
>

> > You can buy Chinese ones for a few quid. Nothing wrong with them, they just lack the inbuilt sparker that would save you time if you're doing a lot of work with it.
> > Canisters are cheapest on ebay iirc.
> > Kitchen ones, I'm not sure I see the point of them. You pay more for less.
> > If you encounter an old paraffin/petrol one, beware of their safety issues. Extremely cheap to run but I'd not want to use one indoors.
> 40/60 years ago getting paraffin was easy. Many petrol stations had
> paraffin dispensers on the forecourt. I remember when my parents they
> had paraffin as their main source of heating a man came around every
> week with a big tank in the back of his van to fill household
> containers. Now it's expensive (in small quantities) and possibly only
> mail order for most of the country.
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

28 second kerosene heating fuel. Talk to a friend with oil fired central heating

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<ugtmlq$11imk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107468&group=uk.d-i-y#107468

From: james.ha...@gmail.com (James Harris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:01:13 +0100
 by: James Harris - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:01 UTC

On 19/10/2023 22:25, John Rumm wrote:
> On 19/10/2023 20:24, James Harris wrote:
>> Any recommendations on which blowtorch to buy?
>>
>> Aside from needing a blowlamp just now to help apply flashing tape on
>> a lead gulley I don't know if I'd get much other use out of it so cost
>> is a factor but probably ease of use would be top of the list.
>>
>> Any value in getting a blowlamp which will run on more than one type
>> of gas. E.g. MAP and propane or butane and propane as in this:
>>
>> https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-rofire-propane-butane-blow-torch/82945
>>
>> I already have some camping gaz gas. It would be handy if that could
>> be used but not essential.
>>
>> Alternatively to a DIY unit, would a kitchen-type gas torch be any
>> good for bitumen / flashing tape. I've no intention to make creme
>> brulee(!) or otherwise use it in the kitchen but something I could
>> keep indoors might one day be useful.
>
> IME kitchen ones are a bit too small for most "work" applications...
>
>> In other words, my requirements aren't great but the options seem to
>> be many.
>>
>> So any recommendations would be appreciated!
>
> Probably overkill, but I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2 blowtorches.
> They will run on MAPP or propane. They are trigger start - pull the
> trigger it lights and runs at your preset output power, let go and it
> stops (you can lock it on if you want). It runs from cold in any
> orientation and gives a very well focussed flame and a good range of
> flame control. Very safe to use - since you can just put it down and let
> go, and it is off. It fires reliably first time every time.
>
> SF etc usually want silly money for them, but better deals can be had,
> e.g. :
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253240447517?epid=23029748253&hash=item3af64e921d:g:H4AAAOSwG8tgS6Qm

Thanks, that sounds great but as you suggest probably overkill for the
one-off job I have to do now.

Something like this may be better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqJpWIqfF1I

- i.e. a blowtorch which attaches to a campingaz cartridge.
Disappointingly, the video doesn't say what it's called other than that
Australasians, I presume, can get them from Korean or Asian grocery
stores(!) or maybe ebay. Even the ebay pointer is not very helpful
unless one knows what the product is called.

--
James Harris

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<ugtnfo$11ouo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107471&group=uk.d-i-y#107471

From: james.ha...@gmail.com (James Harris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:15:03 +0100
 by: James Harris - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:15 UTC

On 20/10/2023 11:34, John J wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 October 2023 at 20:25:00 UTC+1, James Harris wrote:
>> Any recommendations on which blowtorch to buy?
>>
>> Aside from needing a blowlamp just now to help apply flashing tape on a
>> lead gulley I don't know if I'd get much other use out of it so cost is
>> a factor but probably ease of use would be top of the list.
>>
>> Any value in getting a blowlamp which will run on more than one type of
>> gas. E.g. MAP and propane or butane and propane as in this:
>>
>> https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-rofire-propane-butane-blow-torch/82945
>>
>> I already have some camping gaz gas. It would be handy if that could be
>> used but not essential.
>>
>> Alternatively to a DIY unit, would a kitchen-type gas torch be any good
>> for bitumen / flashing tape. I've no intention to make creme brulee(!)
>> or otherwise use it in the kitchen but something I could keep indoors
>> might one day be useful.
>>
>> In other words, my requirements aren't great but the options seem to be
>> many.
>>
>> So any recommendations would be appreciated!
>>

>> --
>> James Harris

> I've got a Bullfinch with clicker ignition that has a small (football sized) propane bottle for real work and a small one for 7se with my beekeeping sublimation kit. The small one is remarkably handy, cheap and powerful. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165810513712?var=465316510631

Thanks, the one at that ebay link looks ideal! Ordered.

For someone who may be looking at this thread in the future when the
link no longer works I don't see a make & model but it's a blowlamp
which attaches to a butane gas cartridge and the description is "Butane
Gas Blow Torch Burner Welding Auto Ignition Soldering BBQ Flame Thrower".

--
James Harris

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<ugtpo7$12bvt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107476&group=uk.d-i-y#107476

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:53:43 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:huaJE3qDHraKPgLJqIy6EJLe+jo=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:53 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 19/10/2023 20:24, James Harris wrote:
>> Any recommendations on which blowtorch to buy?
>>
>> Aside from needing a blowlamp just now to help apply flashing tape on a
>> lead gulley I don't know if I'd get much other use out of it so cost is
>> a factor but probably ease of use would be top of the list.
>>
>> Any value in getting a blowlamp which will run on more than one type of
>> gas. E.g. MAP and propane or butane and propane as in this:
>>
>> https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-rofire-propane-butane-blow-torch/82945
>>
>> I already have some camping gaz gas. It would be handy if that could be
>> used but not essential.
>>
>> Alternatively to a DIY unit, would a kitchen-type gas torch be any good
>> for bitumen / flashing tape. I've no intention to make creme brulee(!)
>> or otherwise use it in the kitchen but something I could keep indoors
>> might one day be useful.
>
> IME kitchen ones are a bit too small for most "work" applications...
>
>> In other words, my requirements aren't great but the options seem to be
>> many.
>>
>> So any recommendations would be appreciated!
>
> Probably overkill, but I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2 blowtorches.
> They will run on MAPP or propane. They are trigger start - pull the
> trigger it lights and runs at your preset output power, let go and it
> stops (you can lock it on if you want). It runs from cold in any
> orientation and gives a very well focussed flame and a good range of
> flame control. Very safe to use - since you can just put it down and let
> go, and it is off. It fires reliably first time every time.
>
> SF etc usually want silly money for them, but better deals can be had,
> e.g. :
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253240447517?epid=23029748253&hash=item3af64e921d:g:H4AAAOSwG8tgS6Qm

£5 cheaper on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rothenberger-Super-Fire-2-Brazing-Torch/dp/B00NJSSLVK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=321CRI01PE0PN&keywords=rothenberger+superfire+2&qid=1697802725&sprefix=Rothen%2Caps%2C131&sr=8-3

Richard

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<VzuYM.317834$XBH2.201997@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107491&group=uk.d-i-y#107491

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@for.mail (fred)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:41:25 GMT
 by: fred - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:41 UTC

James Harris <james.harris.1@gmail.com> wrote in

> On 20/10/2023 11:34, John J wrote:
>
>> I've got a Bullfinch with clicker ignition that has a small (football
>> sized) propane bottle for real work and a small one for 7se with my
>> beekeeping sublimation kit. The small one is remarkably handy, cheap
>> and powerful.
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165810513712?var=465316510631
>
> Thanks, the one at that ebay link looks ideal! Ordered.
>
> For someone who may be looking at this thread in the future when the
> link no longer works I don't see a make & model but it's a blowlamp
> which attaches to a butane gas cartridge and the description is
> "Butane Gas Blow Torch Burner Welding Auto Ignition Soldering BBQ
> Flame Thrower".

Did you get the gas multibuy too?

Be aware that this one uses the low cost camping stove type bayonet refil
rather than the screw on type that most DIY torches use. They can be a
really cost effective way to buy butane but they're less readily available
in the 70% butane 30% propane mix formuala that most people run their
portable torches on for the hotter flame and better low temperature
operation.

Thanks to others for their recommendations, I am in the market too.

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<ugtvde$1183r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107503&group=uk.d-i-y#107503

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:30:23 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 13:30 UTC

On 19/10/2023 22:25, John Rumm wrote:
> Probably overkill, but I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2 blowtorches.
> They will run on MAPP or propane. They are trigger start - pull the
> trigger it lights and runs at your preset output power, let go and it
> stops (you can lock it on if you want). It runs from cold in any
> orientation and gives a very well focussed flame and a good range of
> flame control. Very safe to use - since you can just put it down and let
> go, and it is off. It fires reliably first time every time.

I have two of those in my workshop, but I would suggest they are just
too small and hot a flame, for the OP's needs. He needs a more gentle,
larger flame, like a roofing torch, or a cheap gas blowlamp.

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<1QeaTJVeqpMlFwZ0@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107527&group=uk.d-i-y#107527

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:19:58 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:19 UTC

In message <ugtvde$1183r$1@dont-email.me>, Harry Bloomfield Esq
<a@harrym1byt.plus.com> writes
>On 19/10/2023 22:25, John Rumm wrote:
>> Probably overkill, but I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2
>>blowtorches. They will run on MAPP or propane. They are trigger start
>>- pull the trigger it lights and runs at your preset output power,
>>let go and it stops (you can lock it on if you want). It runs from
>>cold in any orientation and gives a very well focussed flame and a
>>good range of flame control. Very safe to use - since you can just
>>put it down and let go, and it is off. It fires reliably first time every time.
>
>I have two of those in my workshop, but I would suggest they are just
>too small and hot a flame, for the OP's needs. He needs a more gentle,
>larger flame, like a roofing torch, or a cheap gas blowlamp.

I threw my Rothenberger kit away. The initial problem was the failure of
the ignition system. (perhaps conductive dirt)
Easily overcome by separate ignition.

After 2 cans of fuel the gas filter gathered enough crap to obstruct gas
flow.

The other issue is *what to do with the empty canisters*

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<3txYM.346925$qkdf.149155@fx07.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107546&group=uk.d-i-y#107546

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@for.mail (fred)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:58:55 GMT
 by: fred - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:58 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote in

> The other issue is *what to do with the empty canisters*

If truly empty, puncture and pass thro your regular steel recycling.

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<kpfoi2F2de8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107560&group=uk.d-i-y#107560

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:35:16 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:35 UTC

James Harris wrote:

> Any value in getting a blowlamp which will run on more than one type of
> gas. E.g. MAP and propane or butane and propane

I have a Rothenberger Superfire 3, as well as taking propane or MAP*
gas, also takes a range of burners

<https://www.rothenbergertools.us/21-Rothenberger_Torches_&_The_Sweatbox_II.html>

[*] what is commonly sold a MAP or MAP-pro gas now, isn't as hot as the
original MAPP gas, which is no longer sold

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<kpfoltF2de8U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107561&group=uk.d-i-y#107561

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:37:19 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:37 UTC

John Rumm wrote:

> I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2 blowtorches.
> Very safe to use

Provided you turn the gas valve off when chucking it into the back of a
van along with a coat!

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<uguafk$16e0s$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107562&group=uk.d-i-y#107562

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:39:16 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:39 UTC

On 20/10/2023 12:01, James Harris wrote:
> On 19/10/2023 22:25, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 19/10/2023 20:24, James Harris wrote:
>>> Any recommendations on which blowtorch to buy?
>>>
>>> Aside from needing a blowlamp just now to help apply flashing tape on
>>> a lead gulley I don't know if I'd get much other use out of it so
>>> cost is a factor but probably ease of use would be top of the list.
>>>
>>> Any value in getting a blowlamp which will run on more than one type
>>> of gas. E.g. MAP and propane or butane and propane as in this:
>>>
>>> https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-rofire-propane-butane-blow-torch/82945
>>>
>>> I already have some camping gaz gas. It would be handy if that could
>>> be used but not essential.
>>>
>>> Alternatively to a DIY unit, would a kitchen-type gas torch be any
>>> good for bitumen / flashing tape. I've no intention to make creme
>>> brulee(!) or otherwise use it in the kitchen but something I could
>>> keep indoors might one day be useful.
>>
>> IME kitchen ones are a bit too small for most "work" applications...
>>
>>> In other words, my requirements aren't great but the options seem to
>>> be many.
>>>
>>> So any recommendations would be appreciated!
>>
>> Probably overkill, but I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2 blowtorches.
>> They will run on MAPP or propane. They are trigger start - pull the
>> trigger it lights and runs at your preset output power, let go and it
>> stops (you can lock it on if you want). It runs from cold in any
>> orientation and gives a very well focussed flame and a good range of
>> flame control. Very safe to use - since you can just put it down and
>> let go, and it is off. It fires reliably first time every time.
>>
>> SF etc usually want silly money for them, but better deals can be had,
>> e.g. :
>>
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253240447517?epid=23029748253&hash=item3af64e921d:g:H4AAAOSwG8tgS6Qm
>
> Thanks, that sounds great but as you suggest probably overkill for the
> one-off job I have to do now.
>
> Something like this may be better:
>
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqJpWIqfF1I
>
> - i.e. a blowtorch which attaches to a campingaz cartridge.
> Disappointingly, the video doesn't say what it's called other than that
> Australasians, I presume, can get them from Korean or Asian grocery
> stores(!) or maybe ebay. Even the ebay pointer is not very helpful
> unless one knows what the product is called.

Some years back, there were quite good reviews for these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004508053850.html

e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1qALcPgX50

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<uguar3$16e0s$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107564&group=uk.d-i-y#107564

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:45:22 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:45 UTC

On 20/10/2023 14:30, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> On 19/10/2023 22:25, John Rumm wrote:
>> Probably overkill, but I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2 blowtorches.
>> They will run on MAPP or propane. They are trigger start - pull the
>> trigger it lights and runs at your preset output power, let go and it
>> stops (you can lock it on if you want). It runs from cold in any
>> orientation and gives a very well focussed flame and a good range of
>> flame control. Very safe to use - since you can just put it down and
>> let go, and it is off. It fires reliably first time every time.
>
> I have two of those in my workshop, but I would suggest they are just
> too small and hot a flame, for the OP's needs. He needs a more gentle,
> larger flame, like a roofing torch, or a cheap gas blowlamp.

Yup that is a fair point. I was forgetting that this was a roofing
application.

Something like the more traditional torch that runs from a separate
bottle of propane, via a regulator would be better for this application:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089S42MNY

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<kpg01vF3pjdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107605&group=uk.d-i-y#107605

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 19:43:12 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 18:43 UTC

On 20/10/2023 17:37, Andy Burns wrote:
> John Rumm wrote:
>
>> I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2 blowtorches. Very safe to use
>
> Provided you turn the gas valve off when chucking it into the back of a
> van along with a coat!

Quarter turn of the trigger locks it in the off position.

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<e6b3a503-ee87-4d95-a55a-365580b91addn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107618&group=uk.d-i-y#107618

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 13:03:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 20:03 UTC

On Friday, 20 October 2023 at 12:01:20 UTC+1, James Harris wrote:
> On 19/10/2023 22:25, John Rumm wrote:
> > On 19/10/2023 20:24, James Harris wrote:
> >> Any recommendations on which blowtorch to buy?
> >>
> >> Aside from needing a blowlamp just now to help apply flashing tape on
> >> a lead gulley I don't know if I'd get much other use out of it so cost
> >> is a factor but probably ease of use would be top of the list.
> >>
> >> Any value in getting a blowlamp which will run on more than one type
> >> of gas. E.g. MAP and propane or butane and propane as in this:
> >>
> >> https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-rofire-propane-butane-blow-torch/82945
> >>
> >> I already have some camping gaz gas. It would be handy if that could
> >> be used but not essential.
> >>
> >> Alternatively to a DIY unit, would a kitchen-type gas torch be any
> >> good for bitumen / flashing tape. I've no intention to make creme
> >> brulee(!) or otherwise use it in the kitchen but something I could
> >> keep indoors might one day be useful.
> >
> > IME kitchen ones are a bit too small for most "work" applications...
> >
> >> In other words, my requirements aren't great but the options seem to
> >> be many.
> >>
> >> So any recommendations would be appreciated!
> >
> > Probably overkill, but I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2 blowtorches.
> > They will run on MAPP or propane. They are trigger start - pull the
> > trigger it lights and runs at your preset output power, let go and it
> > stops (you can lock it on if you want). It runs from cold in any
> > orientation and gives a very well focussed flame and a good range of
> > flame control. Very safe to use - since you can just put it down and let
> > go, and it is off. It fires reliably first time every time.
> >
> > SF etc usually want silly money for them, but better deals can be had,
> > e.g. :
> >
> > https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253240447517?epid=23029748253&hash=item3af64e921d:g:H4AAAOSwG8tgS6Qm
> Thanks, that sounds great but as you suggest probably overkill for the
> one-off job I have to do now.
>
> Something like this may be better:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqJpWIqfF1I
>
> - i.e. a blowtorch which attaches to a campingaz cartridge.
> Disappointingly, the video doesn't say what it's called other than that
> Australasians, I presume, can get them from Korean or Asian grocery
> stores(!) or maybe ebay. Even the ebay pointer is not very helpful
> unless one knows what the product is called.

it's called blowtorch, sort by price

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<kphe2oFc21pU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107672&group=uk.d-i-y#107672

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:48:42 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 07:48 UTC

alan_m wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> John Rumm wrote:
>>
>>> I love my Rothenberger Superfire 2 blowtorches. Very safe to use
>>
>> Provided you turn the gas valve off when chucking it into the back of
>> a van along with a coat!
>
> Quarter turn of the trigger locks it in the off position.

Adam's apprentice didn't know that ...

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<uh03ci$1lqa6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107679&group=uk.d-i-y#107679

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:50:27 +0100
 by: wasbit - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:50 UTC

On 20/10/2023 11:17, alan_m wrote:
> On 20/10/2023 10:39, wasbit wrote:
>> On 19/10/2023 23:29, alan_m wrote:
>>>

>>> snip <
>>>
>>> 40/60 years ago getting paraffin was easy. Many petrol stations had
>>> paraffin dispensers on the forecourt. I remember when my parents they
>>> had paraffin as their main source of heating a man came around every
>>> week with a big tank in the back of his van to fill household
>>> containers.  Now it's expensive (in small quantities) and possibly
>>> only mail order for most of the country.
>>>

>> B@Q, but its nearly £12 for less than a gallon
>>   - https://www.diy.com/departments/bartoline-paraffin-4l/257116_BQ.prd
>>

> Currently unavailable :)

The Range (selected stores) ?
-
https://www.therange.co.uk/arts-and-crafts/art-supplies/sculpture-and-casting/barrettine-premium-paraffin/

Homebase - all local stores show stock
-
https://www.homebase.co.uk/bartoline-premium-grade-paraffin-4l/12812567.html

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Blow torch recommendation request

<uh071r$1mgvo$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107695&group=uk.d-i-y#107695

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:52:59 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:52 UTC

On 21/10/2023 09:50, wasbit wrote:
> On 20/10/2023 11:17, alan_m wrote:

>>> B@Q, but its nearly £12 for less than a gallon
>>>   - https://www.diy.com/departments/bartoline-paraffin-4l/257116_BQ.prd
>>>

>> Currently unavailable :)
>>

> The Range (selected stores) ?
>  -
> https://www.therange.co.uk/arts-and-crafts/art-supplies/sculpture-and-casting/barrettine-premium-paraffin/
>
> Homebase - all local stores show stock
>  -
> https://www.homebase.co.uk/bartoline-premium-grade-paraffin-4l/12812567.html

heating oil (kerosene) is about 70p a litre, and is pretty much the same
stuff, less the punitive taxes...

--
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They
always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them"

Margaret Thatcher