Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste

SubjectAuthor
* (Maybe OT) Composted dog wasteStephen C
+* Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog wasteJanet
|+- Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog wasteThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog wasteStephen C
+- Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog wasteThe Natural Philosopher
`* Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog wasteDavid
 `* Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog wasteThe Natural Philosopher
  `* Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog wasteJanet
   `* Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog wasteThe Natural Philosopher
    `- Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog wasteNick Maclaren

1
(Maybe OT) Composted dog waste

<JCtyI.139415$gpy1.70510@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1024&group=uk.rec.gardening#1024

From: lammasl...@gmail.com (Stephen C)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:59:19 +0100
 by: Stephen C - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 20:59 UTC

I've recently moved home to where the previous occupants trained working
dogs. There is a big green dalek composter which I assume they used to
dispose of the dogs' crap. They don't seem to have been keen gardeners and
the bin is not full of twigs and leaves, so I assume that's what it is for.
Is the contents OK to use? Should I mix it with other stuff first, or would
it be best to take it in small amounts to the tip?
Thanks in advance.

Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste

<MPG.3b355052d3634ec3989a78@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1025&group=uk.rec.gardening#1025

From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 13:28:36 +0100
 by: Janet - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 12:28 UTC

In article <JCtyI.139415$gpy1.70510@usenetxs.com>, lammasland@gmail.com
says...

> I've recently moved home to where the previous occupants trained working
> dogs. There is a big green dalek composter which I assume they used to
> dispose of the dogs' crap. They don't seem to have been keen gardeners and
> the bin is not full of twigs and leaves, so I assume that's what it is for.
> Is the contents OK to use? Should I mix it with other stuff first, or would
> it be best to take it in small amounts to the tip?
> Thanks in advance.

I would not use composted dog waste on the vegetable garden or in
areas where children play or you do much handweeding. But I would
happily spread it around under shrubberies or trees where nobody will
come in contact with it. I might spread the dogwaste then top it with
fresh lawn cuttings.

Janet

Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste

<safkfd$oo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1029&group=uk.rec.gardening#1029

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 14:59:09 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 13:59 UTC

On 16/06/2021 21:59, Stephen C wrote:

> I've recently moved home to where the previous occupants trained working
> dogs. There is a big green dalek composter which I assume they used to
> dispose of the dogs' crap. They don't seem to have been keen gardeners and
> the bin is not full of twigs and leaves, so I assume that's what it is for.
> Is the contents OK to use? Should I mix it with other stuff first, or would
> it be best to take it in small amounts to the tip?
> Thanks in advance.

Should be fine. when I first seeded my front lawn the topsoil was a bit
sandy, and the cats made it the preferred toilet. Grass shot up in those
places.

Dogs were well behaved and didn't crap in the garden but I would imagine
that dog crap breaks down nicely in air - certainly my sewage digester
makes great 'night soil' out of *my* 'offerings'...

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell

Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste

<safl10$55j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1030&group=uk.rec.gardening#1030

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 15:08:32 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 14:08 UTC

On 17/06/2021 13:28, Janet wrote:
> In article <JCtyI.139415$gpy1.70510@usenetxs.com>, lammasland@gmail.com
> says...
>>
>> I've recently moved home to where the previous occupants trained working
>> dogs. There is a big green dalek composter which I assume they used to
>> dispose of the dogs' crap. They don't seem to have been keen gardeners and
>> the bin is not full of twigs and leaves, so I assume that's what it is for.
>> Is the contents OK to use? Should I mix it with other stuff first, or would
>> it be best to take it in small amounts to the tip?
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> I would not use composted dog waste on the vegetable garden or in
> areas where children play or you do much handweeding. But I would
> happily spread it around under shrubberies or trees where nobody will
> come in contact with it. I might spread the dogwaste then top it with
> fresh lawn cuttings.

I think that provided it is composted it will be fine. The danger of dog
crap when its fresh is if the dog has toxocara canis - Dog round worm
(<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocara_canis#Transmission_to_humans>)
Although the eggs can last for years, composting at high temperatures
should have destroyed them.

In any case you should develop basic hygiene standards - vegetables
should be cooked and anything that has come into contact with the ground
thoroughly washed and dirt coated hands washed and scrubbed clean

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell

Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste

<ij1l4aFbh8iU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1036&group=uk.rec.gardening#1036

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 17 Jun 2021 19:12:10 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 19:12 UTC

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:59:19 +0100, Stephen C wrote:

> I've recently moved home to where the previous occupants trained working
> dogs. There is a big green dalek composter which I assume they used to
> dispose of the dogs' crap. They don't seem to have been keen gardeners
> and the bin is not full of twigs and leaves, so I assume that's what it
> is for.
> Is the contents OK to use? Should I mix it with other stuff first, or
> would it be best to take it in small amounts to the tip?
> Thanks in advance.

I had a dog crap composter in the garden to deal with dep[osits.
It was like a small plastic dustbin with a grid in the bottom and sunk
into a soak away.
The theory was that all the crap was slowly broken down and then the
results drained away into the ground.

It seemed to work as a dog crap digester.

I never considered using the contents as a fertiliser.

Cheers

DAve R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste

<saks76$tps$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1054&group=uk.rec.gardening#1054

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 14:41:58 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 13:41 UTC

On 17/06/2021 20:12, David wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:59:19 +0100, Stephen C wrote:
>
>> I've recently moved home to where the previous occupants trained working
>> dogs. There is a big green dalek composter which I assume they used to
>> dispose of the dogs' crap. They don't seem to have been keen gardeners
>> and the bin is not full of twigs and leaves, so I assume that's what it
>> is for.
>> Is the contents OK to use? Should I mix it with other stuff first, or
>> would it be best to take it in small amounts to the tip?
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> I had a dog crap composter in the garden to deal with dep[osits.
> It was like a small plastic dustbin with a grid in the bottom and sunk
> into a soak away.
> The theory was that all the crap was slowly broken down and then the
> results drained away into the ground.
>
> It seemed to work as a dog crap digester.
>
> I never considered using the contents as a fertiliser.

Crap is first rate fertiliser - cow dung, horse dung, pig shit, cat
crap - all are plant rocket fuel.

The problem with dog crap is worm eggs.

So not that good for food and a nono where small children play.

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell

Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste

<MPG.3b392a47c01ebd71989a7f@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1065&group=uk.rec.gardening#1065

From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:35:21 +0100
 by: Janet - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 10:35 UTC

In article <saks76$tps$5@dont-email.me>, tnp@invalid.invalid says...
> Crap is first rate fertiliser - cow dung, horse dung, pig shit, cat
> crap - all are plant rocket fuel.
>
> The problem with dog crap is worm eggs.

Cats often carry the same toxocara parasite, so their crap is just as
much a risk to humans as dogs'.

Cow, poultry and horse are all fine. Pig smells so terrible I'd
reject it on aesthetic grounds :0(

The vegetable garden at my grandparents home was fuelled entirely by
raw human manure from the bucket lav in an outhouse (the house had no
indoor water supply/plumbing/sewage at all). Grandad dug a trench in the
veg garden and gradually filled it with the bucket contents and a
shovelful of earth tossed on top. When the trench was full he started
another. It was an incredibly fertile garden and we never got ill.

Janet

Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste

<sanbb4$rp4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1070&group=uk.rec.gardening#1070

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 13:12:20 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 12:12 UTC

On 20/06/2021 11:35, Janet wrote:
> In article <saks76$tps$5@dont-email.me>, tnp@invalid.invalid says...
>> Crap is first rate fertiliser - cow dung, horse dung, pig shit, cat
>> crap - all are plant rocket fuel.
>>
>> The problem with dog crap is worm eggs.
>>

> Cats often carry the same toxocara parasite,

No, they carry a *different* toxocara parasite. Toxocara cati.
Not toxocara canis.

so their crap is just as
> much a risk to humans as dogs'.

No, there are far less cases of T. cati taransferring to humans than T.
canis

> Cow, poultry and horse are all fine.

Poultry absolute hot bed of salmonella.

Horse depends what its eaten. If weedkilled grass, its lethal to many
plants.

Pig smells so terrible I'd
> reject it on aesthetic grounds :0(

Well yes, drive across N Germany or Denmark and it simply stinks of pig,
but after rotting its pretty OK smell wise. Still harbours parasites
thio potentially

> The vegetable garden at my grandparents home was fuelled entirely by
> raw human manure from the bucket lav in an outhouse (the house had no
> indoor water supply/plumbing/sewage at all). Grandad dug a trench in the
> veg garden and gradually filled it with the bucket contents and a
> shovelful of earth tossed on top. When the trench was full he started
> another. It was an incredibly fertile garden and we never got ill.
>
> Janet

I use blood fish and bone and never get ill.

My grandmother was vile at hygiene. Ate half rotted food. My mother
would never eat eggs, after a massively serious case of salmonella
poisoning in her childhood from her mothers free range hens.

Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste

<sao7km$vbp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1074&group=uk.rec.gardening#1074

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 20:15:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 20:15 UTC

In article <sanbb4$rp4$1@dont-email.me>,
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>> Cow, poultry and horse are all fine.
>
>Poultry absolute hot bed of salmonella.

Firstly, salmonella does not produce durable spores and is never
transmitted via the soil - that's irrelevant. Secondly, salmonella
is a natural component of our gut flora, and problems arise only if
you have no resistance to that strain or if it is left to produce
high levels of toxins (as in eggs).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: (Maybe OT) Composted dog waste

<PcPzI.12406$xn1.2625@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1075&group=uk.rec.gardening#1075

From: lammasl...@gmail.com (Stephen C)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 23:22:37 +0100
 by: Stephen C - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 22:22 UTC

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 13:28:36 +0100, Janet wrote:

> In article <JCtyI.139415$gpy1.70510@usenetxs.com>, lammasland@gmail.com
> says...
> >
> > I've recently moved home to where the previous occupants trained working
> > dogs. There is a big green dalek composter which I assume they used to
> > dispose of the dogs' crap. They don't seem to have been keen gardeners and
> > the bin is not full of twigs and leaves, so I assume that's what it is for.
> > Is the contents OK to use? Should I mix it with other stuff first, or would
> > it be best to take it in small amounts to the tip?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> I would not use composted dog waste on the vegetable garden or in
> areas where children play or you do much handweeding. But I would
> happily spread it around under shrubberies or trees where nobody will
> come in contact with it. I might spread the dogwaste then top it with
> fresh lawn cuttings.
>
> Janet

Thanks everyone for your replies. I need to get rid of it somehow, so will
be spreading it out under some shrubs like Janet suggests.