From: dive...@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Subject: [_CC_]_Recent,_rapid_ocean_warm
ing_ahead_of_El_Niño_alarms_scientists
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 12:01:40 +0100
 by: N_Cook - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 11:01 UTC

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65339934>
By Matt McGrath and Mark Poynting
BBC Climate and Science team
A recent, rapid heating of the world's oceans has alarmed scientists
concerned that it will add to global warming.
This month, the global sea surface hit a new record high temperature. It
has never warmed this much, this quickly.
Scientists don't fully understand why this has happened.
But they worry that, combined with other weather events, the world's
temperature could reach a concerning new level by the end of next year.
Experts believe that a strong El Niño weather event - a weather system
that heats the ocean - will also set in over the next months. ...

To fast moving, although referring to Oz BoM, not this El Nino
prediction output yesterday
<http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ocean/outlooks/#region=NINO34>
NINO34 probabilities
Month May 2023 Jun 2023 Jul 2023 Aug 2023 Sep 2023 Oct 2023
NINO34 1.0C 1.4C 1.8C 2.3C 2.6C 2.8C
below -0.8C 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
neutral 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
above 0.8C 100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%

exactly matching the sequence from NOAA ONI listing of the highest El
Ninos since 1950s
1957, +1.8 deg C maximum
1965, +2.0 max
1972, +2.1 max
1982, +2.2
1997, +2.4
2015, +2.6
2023, +2.8??
from
<https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php>

Nor that Antarctic sea-ice is at the lowst in April of the satellite
era, today and presumably et seq, (call up Antarctic and 1980) on
<https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charctic-interactive-sea-ice-graph/>

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: [ CC ] Recent, rapid ocean warming ahead of El Niño alarms scientists

<00817efa-15a5-4763-b7fa-0f9e5a5f8931n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10766&group=uk.sci.weather#10766

Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 09:41:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_[_CC_]_Recent,_rapid_ocean_warming_ahead_of_El_N
iño_alarms_scientists
From: step...@davenport.net (Stephen Davenport)
 by: Stephen Davenport - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 16:41 UTC

On Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 6:01:39 AM UTC-5, N_Cook wrote:
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65339934>
> By Matt McGrath and Mark Poynting
> BBC Climate and Science team
> A recent, rapid heating of the world's oceans has alarmed scientists
> concerned that it will add to global warming.
> This month, the global sea surface hit a new record high temperature. It
> has never warmed this much, this quickly.
> Scientists don't fully understand why this has happened.
> But they worry that, combined with other weather events, the world's
> temperature could reach a concerning new level by the end of next year.
> Experts believe that a strong El Niño weather event - a weather system
> that heats the ocean - will also set in over the next months. ...

---------

The greater part of this warming has been in the tropical Indo-Pacific. This of course includes the equatorial Pacific where El Niño warming is underway but there seems to be an inter-basin coupling across the Indian Ocean, which has also shown significant warming. Mid-latitude SSTs have seen mixed changes.

Re: [ CC ] Recent, rapid ocean warming ahead of El Niño alarms scientists

<u2dvgr$1upml$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10776&group=uk.sci.weather#10776

From: dive...@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Subject: Re: [ CC ] Recent, rapid ocean warming ah
ead of El Niño alarms scientists
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:06:26 +0100
 by: N_Cook - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 14:06 UTC

On 26/04/2023 17:41, Stephen Davenport wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 6:01:39 AM UTC-5, N_Cook wrote:
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65339934>
>> By Matt McGrath and Mark Poynting
>> BBC Climate and Science team
>> A recent, rapid heating of the world's oceans has alarmed scientists
>> concerned that it will add to global warming.
>> This month, the global sea surface hit a new record high temperature. It
>> has never warmed this much, this quickly.
>> Scientists don't fully understand why this has happened.
>> But they worry that, combined with other weather events, the world's
>> temperature could reach a concerning new level by the end of next year.
>> Experts believe that a strong El Niño weather event - a weather system
>> that heats the ocean - will also set in over the next months. ...
>>

> ---------
>
> The greater part of this warming has been in the tropical Indo-Pacific. This of course includes the equatorial Pacific where El Niño warming is underway but there seems to be an inter-basin coupling across the Indian Ocean, which has also shown significant warming. Mid-latitude SSTs have seen mixed changes.

From an NOC expert on the North Atlantic, no proven teleconnection
between Pacific ocean oscillations and Atlantic AMOC or NAO, despite the
proven jetstram teleconnection.