How kind of you to be willing to live someone's life for them.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

SubjectAuthor
* Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineBruce Horrocks
+- Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineChris Ridd
+* Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineGraeme Wall
|`* Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineAlan B
| `* Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineGraeme Wall
|  `* Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineBruce Horrocks
|   +- Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineJoerg Lorenz
|   +* Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineAlan B
|   |`- Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineChris Ridd
|   `* Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineJaimie Vandenbergh
|    `- Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineGraham J
`- Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time MachineRichard Tobin

1
Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<bbee07e9-dc0e-e09c-9a04-563f5a8b843d@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10741&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10741

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 19:39:53 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 18:39 UTC

If you have a Time Machine backup on Monterey (12.6) go into Contacts,
select any card and then choose Time machine -> Enter Time Machine from
the menu bar.

You should then get the 'deck of cards' effect. Go back a short amount
of time and, for me, the display changes to say "No cards" instead of
the version of the card at that time.

I get this even on a card that I've just changed, which is now worrying
me that Contacts are not actually being backed-up.

Does anyone else get this?

I have Contacts set to synch via iCloud - it would be interesting to see
if anyone who doesn't use iCloud experiences the same behaviour.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<tgst8p$3q8pf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10744&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10744

From: chrisr...@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 20:07:04 +0100
 by: Chris Ridd - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 19:07 UTC

On 26/09/2022 19:39, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> If you have a Time Machine backup on Monterey (12.6) go into Contacts,
> select any card and then choose Time machine -> Enter Time Machine from
> the menu bar.
>
> You should then get the 'deck of cards' effect. Go back a short amount
> of time and, for me, the display changes to say "No cards" instead of
> the version of the card at that time.
>
> I get this even on a card that I've just changed, which is now worrying
> me that Contacts are not actually being backed-up.
>
> Does anyone else get this?

Same. In fact every snapshot except the last one is empty.

> I have Contacts set to synch via iCloud - it would be interesting to see
> if anyone who doesn't use iCloud experiences the same behaviour.

Hm, I'm syncing them via iCloud too.

--
Chris

Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<tgt41t$3qs4e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10745&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10745

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 22:02:53 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 21:02 UTC

On 26/09/2022 19:39, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> If you have a Time Machine backup on Monterey (12.6) go into Contacts,
> select any card and then choose Time machine -> Enter Time Machine from
> the menu bar.
>
> You should then get the 'deck of cards' effect. Go back a short amount
> of time and, for me, the display changes to say "No cards" instead of
> the version of the card at that time.
>
> I get this even on a card that I've just changed, which is now worrying
> me that Contacts are not actually being backed-up.
>
> Does anyone else get this?
>
> I have Contacts set to synch via iCloud - it would be interesting to see
> if anyone who doesn't use iCloud experiences the same behaviour.

I get the same effect but I'm also syncing via iCloud.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<tguctm$141h$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10746&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10746

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 08:40:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 08:40 UTC

On Mon, 26 Sep 2022 22:02:53 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:

> On 26/09/2022 19:39, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>> If you have a Time Machine backup on Monterey (12.6) go into Contacts,
>> select any card and then choose Time machine -> Enter Time Machine from
>> the menu bar.
>>
>> You should then get the 'deck of cards' effect. Go back a short amount
>> of time and, for me, the display changes to say "No cards" instead of
>> the version of the card at that time.
>>
>> I get this even on a card that I've just changed, which is now worrying
>> me that Contacts are not actually being backed-up.
>>
>> Does anyone else get this?
>>
>> I have Contacts set to synch via iCloud - it would be interesting to
>> see if anyone who doesn't use iCloud experiences the same behaviour.
>>

> I get the same effect but I'm also syncing via iCloud.

+1

According to this answer on Apple Discussions, if Contacts are set to use
use iCloud sync, they are omitted from backup by TM.

<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251269624>

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<tguogj$25a9$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10748&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10748

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 12:58:11 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 11:58 UTC

On 27/09/2022 09:40, Alan B wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2022 22:02:53 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:
>
>> On 26/09/2022 19:39, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>>> If you have a Time Machine backup on Monterey (12.6) go into Contacts,
>>> select any card and then choose Time machine -> Enter Time Machine from
>>> the menu bar.
>>>
>>> You should then get the 'deck of cards' effect. Go back a short amount
>>> of time and, for me, the display changes to say "No cards" instead of
>>> the version of the card at that time.
>>>
>>> I get this even on a card that I've just changed, which is now worrying
>>> me that Contacts are not actually being backed-up.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else get this?
>>>
>>> I have Contacts set to synch via iCloud - it would be interesting to
>>> see if anyone who doesn't use iCloud experiences the same behaviour.
>>>

>> I get the same effect but I'm also syncing via iCloud.
>
> +1
>
> According to this answer on Apple Discussions, if Contacts are set to use
> use iCloud sync, they are omitted from backup by TM.
>
> <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251269624>

Specifically go to:
<https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/icloud-ipad/mm1d9cfdb498/1.0/icloud/1.0>

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<4450241c-dbf9-922d-dcc0-6fbc5efaf958@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10758&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10758

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:26:54 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:26 UTC

On 27/09/2022 12:58, Graeme Wall wrote:
> On 27/09/2022 09:40, Alan B wrote:

>>> I get the same effect but I'm also syncing via iCloud.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> According to this answer on Apple Discussions, if Contacts are set to use
>> use iCloud sync, they are omitted from backup by TM.
>>
>> <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251269624>
>>

> Specifically go to:
> <https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/icloud-ipad/mm1d9cfdb498/1.0/icloud/1.0>

Thanks for that Graeme.

So restore is now by date and the only way to see what you're actually
restoring is to first do a restore, and then see if the record you
wanted was restored? If not then repeat. :-(

Not sure why they couldn't be saved in Time Machine as well - it's not
as if the Contacts list is going to be many TBs of disk?

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<tgvb11$66h2$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10761&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10761

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 19:14:08 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:14 UTC

Am 27.09.22 um 18:26 schrieb Bruce Horrocks:
> So restore is now by date and the only way to see what you're actually
> restoring is to first do a restore, and then see if the record you
> wanted was restored? If not then repeat. :-(
>
> Not sure why they couldn't be saved in Time Machine as well - it's not
> as if the Contacts list is going to be many TBs of disk?

Because ist simply redundant and can cause unwanted confusion down the road?

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<tgvbl9$3ul5$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10762&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10762

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:24:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:24 UTC

On 2022-09-27, Bruce Horrocks <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:
> On 27/09/2022 12:58, Graeme Wall wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> According to this answer on Apple Discussions, if Contacts are set to use
>>> use iCloud sync, they are omitted from backup by TM.
>>>
>>> <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251269624>
>>>

>> Specifically go to:
>> <https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/icloud-ipad/mm1d9cfdb498/1.0/icloud/1.0>
>
> Thanks for that Graeme.
>
> So restore is now by date and the only way to see what you're actually
> restoring is to first do a restore, and then see if the record you
> wanted was restored? If not then repeat. :-(
>
> Not sure why they couldn't be saved in Time Machine as well - it's not
> as if the Contacts list is going to be many TBs of disk?

You can of course export your contacts to an archive file (e.g.
Contacts - 27-09-2022.abbu) and save it in your Documents folders
which will then get backed up by TM.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<tgvcq7$jg1$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10763&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10763

From: rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:44:39 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:44 UTC

In article <bbee07e9-dc0e-e09c-9a04-563f5a8b843d@scorecrow.com>,
Bruce Horrocks <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

>I have Contacts set to synch via iCloud - it would be interesting to see
>if anyone who doesn't use iCloud experiences the same behaviour.

It's the same for me, and I have my contacts synced with Google.

-- Richard

Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<th0i5s$9t64$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10767&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10767

From: chrisr...@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 05:22:20 +0100
 by: Chris Ridd - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 04:22 UTC

On 27/09/2022 18:24, Alan B wrote:
> On 2022-09-27, Bruce Horrocks <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:
>> Not sure why they couldn't be saved in Time Machine as well - it's not
>> as if the Contacts list is going to be many TBs of disk?
>
> You can of course export your contacts to an archive file (e.g.
> Contacts - 27-09-2022.abbu) and save it in your Documents folders
> which will then get backed up by TM.

I was going to suggest selecting all contacts and exporting to vCard
(vcf) format as a workaround. You can probably script it. Vcard is a
standard textual format.

--
Chris

Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<jpivleFfcngU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10775&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10775

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 28 Sep 2022 13:14:22 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 13:14 UTC

On 27 Sep 2022 at 17:26:54 BST, "Bruce Horrocks" <07.013@scorecrow.com>
wrote:

> Not sure why they couldn't be saved in Time Machine as well - it's not
> as if the Contacts list is going to be many TBs of disk?

I'd guess they didn't want to do all the coding needed to cope with the
condition "you restored from TM but you're synced with iCloud and the
restored entries are older than the iCloud ones but you want them but
aargh"

Cheers - Jaimie
--
If you can't measure it, it's not science.

Re: Monterey, Contacts and Time Machine

<th1uir$dd0l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10779&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10779

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 18:00:02 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 17:00 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2022 at 17:26:54 BST, "Bruce Horrocks" <07.013@scorecrow.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Not sure why they couldn't be saved in Time Machine as well - it's not
>> as if the Contacts list is going to be many TBs of disk?
>
> I'd guess they didn't want to do all the coding needed to cope with the
> condition "you restored from TM but you're synced with iCloud and the
> restored entries are older than the iCloud ones but you want them but
> aargh"

But surely that applies to all files, not just items in Contacts?

--
Graham J