From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Why are my sunflowers either growing like snakes or drooping?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 14:05:56 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 13:05 UTC

They're growing on a west-facing wall. The soil is rather sandy. There's
a lot of wretched ivy growing up the wall, which will have to go, but I
have not done anything to it yet. The plants were started in pots, but
put out in good time.

https://i.ibb.co/jhmmfzY/IMG-20210619-125631.jpg ("High Hopes", all snaky)

https://i.ibb.co/4p6YgQh/IMG-20210619-125641.jpg (Valentine, droopy with
puckered leaves)
https://i.ibb.co/vJrLQGP/IMG-20210619-125647.jpg (as above)

The middle ones are "Earth Walker", which seem to be doing the best of
the lot, but some have required staking.

I see some small black wingless insects on some. Aphids.

Re: Why are my sunflowers either growing like snakes or drooping?

<dksrcglviarfgimct5pv6se43vqmam0dcg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1057&group=uk.rec.gardening#1057

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 14:49:09 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 13:49 UTC

On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 14:05:56 +0100, Chris Bacon
<chris.p.bacon@maildrop.cc> wrote:

>They're growing on a west-facing wall. The soil is rather sandy. There's
>a lot of wretched ivy growing up the wall, which will have to go, but I
>have not done anything to it yet. The plants were started in pots, but
>put out in good time.
>
>https://i.ibb.co/jhmmfzY/IMG-20210619-125631.jpg ("High Hopes", all snaky)
>
>https://i.ibb.co/4p6YgQh/IMG-20210619-125641.jpg (Valentine, droopy with
>puckered leaves)
>https://i.ibb.co/vJrLQGP/IMG-20210619-125647.jpg (as above)
>
>The middle ones are "Earth Walker", which seem to be doing the best of
>the lot, but some have required staking.
>
>I see some small black wingless insects on some. Aphids.

I would say they are just dry at the roots. I'm growing some datura
sanguinea in pots (OK so it's brugmansia these days) from seed, plants
about 12" tall now, and they will readily droop their leaves or bend
right over, even though the soil in the pots is quite wet. I have to
keep them very well watered, almost standing in water, to stop it
happening.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Why are my sunflowers either growing like snakes or drooping?

<sapfqh$h0m$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1078&group=uk.rec.gardening#1078

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 08:41:06 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 07:41 UTC

On 19/06/2021 14:49, Chris Hogg wrote:
> I would say they are just dry at the roots. I'm growing some datura
> sanguinea in pots (OK so it's brugmansia these days) from seed, plants
> about 12" tall now, and they will readily droop their leaves or bend
> right over, even though the soil in the pots is quite wet. I have to
> keep them very well watered, almost standing in water, to stop it
> happening.

I think you might be right. They're better now we've had (more!) rain.
Thirsty things.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Why are my sunflowers either growing like snakes or drooping?