malpractice, n.: The reason surgeons wear masks.

aus+uk / uk.comp.os.linux / Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites

SubjectAuthor
* Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websitesDavey
+- Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websitesIanJ
+* Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websitesMarco Moock
|`* Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websitesDavey
| +- Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websitesMike Scott
| `- Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websitesMarco Moock
`* Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websitesDaniel James
 `* Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websitesDavey
  `- Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websitesAdrian Caspersz

1
Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites

<uklp2f$3k0lv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1082&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1082

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 23:58:04 +0000
 by: Davey - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 23:58 UTC

I don't remember doing anything about this, but now, my PC is
automatically signing me in to Google Mail and LinkedIn, and maybe
more, without asking me for my password. I looked at the settings of
GoogleMail, and I couldn't find where or how to change this.
Has there been a general change somewhere? I like having to sign in, it
at least means that my computer doesn't give somebody else access to my
online accounts.
I use Firefox and Thunderbird, on Ubuntu. I have always refused the
request to let Firefox remember my passwords.
Any help appreciated.
--
Davey

Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites

<uklpgl$3k45o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1083&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1083

From: SPAMian_...@yahoo.co.uk (IanJ)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 00:05:41 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: ronin <ronin@fugu.contractcoder.biz>
 by: IanJ - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 00:05 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> I don't remember doing anything about this, but now, my PC is
> automatically signing me in to Google Mail and LinkedIn, and maybe
> more, without asking me for my password. I looked at the settings of
> GoogleMail, and I couldn't find where or how to change this.
> Has there been a general change somewhere? I like having to sign in, it
> at least means that my computer doesn't give somebody else access to my
> online accounts.
> I use Firefox and Thunderbird, on Ubuntu. I have always refused the
> request to let Firefox remember my passwords.
> Any help appreciated.

I remember something like this when I logged into gmail, it doesn't log
you out so maybe any other site that has the option to login with your
google credentials is treating you as already being logged in.

Try going to the googlemail website and clicking the logout link /
button and see if this still happens with other sites. It probably
stores some session cookie in your browser. If this is the case then you
could probably stop it happening by clearing all your browser cookies.

Hope this helps.

--

IanJ

gopher://gopher.icu

Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites

<ukml65$2rjt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1084&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1084

From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:57:57 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 07:57 UTC

Am 04.12.2023 um 23:58:04 Uhr schrieb Davey:

> I don't remember doing anything about this, but now, my PC is
> automatically signing me in to Google Mail and LinkedIn, and maybe
> more, without asking me for my password.

Configure your browser so it deletes the Cookies when closing it.

Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites

<ukmn4g$35to$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1085&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1085

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:31:12 +0000
 by: Davey - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:31 UTC

On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:57:57 +0100
Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:

> Am 04.12.2023 um 23:58:04 Uhr schrieb Davey:
>
> > I don't remember doing anything about this, but now, my PC is
> > automatically signing me in to Google Mail and LinkedIn, and maybe
> > more, without asking me for my password.
>
> Configure your browser so it deletes the Cookies when closing it.

I agree that might do it. I'll do that.
Will I have to do more accepting of cookies each time I visit a website?
But what changed to make it start logging me in?

--
Davey.

Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites

<ukmp0h$3c4o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1086&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1086

From: usenet...@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid (Mike Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 09:03:13 +0000
 by: Mike Scott - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 09:03 UTC

On 05/12/2023 08:31, Davey wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:57:57 +0100
> Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 04.12.2023 um 23:58:04 Uhr schrieb Davey:
>>
>>> I don't remember doing anything about this, but now, my PC is
>>> automatically signing me in to Google Mail and LinkedIn, and maybe
>>> more, without asking me for my password.
>>
>> Configure your browser so it deletes the Cookies when closing it.
>>

> I agree that might do it. I'll do that.
> Will I have to do more accepting of cookies each time I visit a website?

Probably. Or you can just allow cookies, and make sure they're
automatically deleted at end of session, which I've found a useful
compromise. But remember end of session means closing all instances of
the browser.

> But what changed to make it start logging me in?

Presumably it had a cookie set with a login token of some sort. Bad
idea, IMO. You can find a list of cookies in FF's settings page.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England

Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites

<ukmqpb$3nq6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1087&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1087

From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 10:33:31 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 09:33 UTC

Am 05.12.2023 um 08:31:12 Uhr schrieb Davey:

> On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:57:57 +0100
> Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>
> > Am 04.12.2023 um 23:58:04 Uhr schrieb Davey:
> >
> > > I don't remember doing anything about this, but now, my PC is
> > > automatically signing me in to Google Mail and LinkedIn, and maybe
> > > more, without asking me for my password.
> >
> > Configure your browser so it deletes the Cookies when closing it.
> >

> I agree that might do it. I'll do that.
> Will I have to do more accepting of cookies each time I visit a
> website?

Of course because the cookie consent is saved in a cookie.
There are addons that automatically give consent.

> But what changed to make it start logging me in?

Websites tore this information in cookies. If you let the browser
delete them when exiting, the session info is gone and you need to log
in again.

Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites

<uktkea$1eioj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1091&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1091

From: dan...@me.invalid (Daniel James)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 23:28:51 +0000
 by: Daniel James - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 23:28 UTC

On 04/12/2023 23:58, Davey wrote:
> I don't remember doing anything about this, but now, my PC is
> automatically signing me in to Google Mail and LinkedIn, and maybe
> more, without asking me for my password.

That is *usually* something that is done for you by the browser, not
something done by the site itself. It's possible that a site could store
a login state in a cookie ... but you can fix that by deleting cookies.

> I use Firefox and Thunderbird, on Ubuntu. I have always refused the
> request to let Firefox remember my passwords.

It's worth checking that this hasn't 'helpfully' turned itself on again,
somehow in an upgrade, perhaps thanks to Ubuntu using snap (Edit,
Settings, Privacy and Security, Logins and Passwords).

Otherwise, Cookies and Site Data is on the same settings page. Manage
Data will show you which sites have things set.

I always set Firefox to delete cookies when it is closed (and I close it
periodically to make that happen). Yes, I have to select preferences a
bit more often, but I think it's worth the bother.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites

<uktquu$1fctj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1092&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1092

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 01:19:26 +0000
 by: Davey - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 01:19 UTC

On Thu, 7 Dec 2023 23:28:51 +0000
Daniel James <daniel@me.invalid> wrote:

> On 04/12/2023 23:58, Davey wrote:
> > I don't remember doing anything about this, but now, my PC is
> > automatically signing me in to Google Mail and LinkedIn, and maybe
> > more, without asking me for my password.
>
> That is *usually* something that is done for you by the browser, not
> something done by the site itself. It's possible that a site could
> store a login state in a cookie ... but you can fix that by deleting
> cookies.
>
> > I use Firefox and Thunderbird, on Ubuntu. I have always refused the
> > request to let Firefox remember my passwords.
>
> It's worth checking that this hasn't 'helpfully' turned itself on
> again, somehow in an upgrade, perhaps thanks to Ubuntu using snap
> (Edit, Settings, Privacy and Security, Logins and Passwords).
>
> Otherwise, Cookies and Site Data is on the same settings page. Manage
> Data will show you which sites have things set.
>
> I always set Firefox to delete cookies when it is closed (and I close
> it periodically to make that happen). Yes, I have to select
> preferences a bit more often, but I think it's worth the bother.

Yes, I went in to the cookies settings, and deleted the LinkedIn and
Google cookies. LinkedIn now requires me to log in, as it used to. I
notice on the way out that it offered to keep me logged in, maybe i
inadvertently checked that earlier. I haven't tried google via browser
yet.
I think that the cookie deletion on exit will soon be implemented.
Thanks, everyone, for the help.

--
Davey.

Re: Suddenly, my PC is signing me into websites

<ktoijsFg5ktU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1102&group=uk.comp.os.linux#1102

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:54:04 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:54 UTC

On 08/12/2023 01:19, Davey wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2023 23:28:51 +0000
>
> Yes, I went in to the cookies settings, and deleted the LinkedIn and
> Google cookies. LinkedIn now requires me to log in, as it used to. I
> notice on the way out that it offered to keep me logged in, maybe i
> inadvertently checked that earlier. I haven't tried google via browser
> yet.
> I think that the cookie deletion on exit will soon be implemented.
> Thanks, everyone, for the help.

While you are on a cookie control spree, most browsers have a ban third
party cookie setting, which doesn't no harm to enable.

Usual stuff though, strong passwords, use 2FA/2SA, authenticator app/device.

--
Adrian C