Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Lifetime garantee

SubjectAuthor
* Lifetime garanteeBrian Gaff
+- Re: Lifetime garanteewhisky-dave
+* Re: Lifetime garanteeJethro_uk
|`* Re: Lifetime garanteeThe Natural Philosopher
| +- Re: Lifetime garanteeTim Streater
| `- Re: Lifetime garanteeBrian Gaff
+* Re: Lifetime garanteebilly bookcase
|`* Re: Lifetime garanteeBrian Gaff
| +* Re: Lifetime garanteeMax Demian
| |`* Re: Lifetime garanteeBrian Gaff
| | +* Re: Lifetime garanteecharles
| | |`- Re: Lifetime garanteeSteveW
| | `- Re: Lifetime garanteeAndrew
| `- Re: Lifetime garanteewasbit
`* Re: Lifetime garanteeMax Demian
 +- Re: Lifetime garanteeBrian Gaff
 `* OT: government car tax fuckedThe Natural Philosopher
  +* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedGB
  |`* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedThe Natural Philosopher
  | +* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedGB
  | |`* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedThe Natural Philosopher
  | | `- Re: OT: government car tax fuckedAndy Burns
  | +- Re: OT: government car tax fuckedJeff Gaines
  | +* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedTheo
  | |+* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedThe Natural Philosopher
  | ||+- Re: OT: government car tax fuckedFredxx
  | ||`* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedalan_m
  | || `* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedalan_m
  | ||  `- Re: OT: government car tax fuckedAndrew
  | |`* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedwrights...@f2s.com
  | | `* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedJohn Miller
  | |  `* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedThe Natural Philosopher
  | |   `- Re: OT: government car tax fuckedThe Natural Philosopher
  | +* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedalan_m
  | |`* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedcharles
  | | +- Re: OT: government car tax fuckedTim Streater
  | | `* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedAndrew
  | |  `- Re: OT: government car tax fuckedcharles
  | `- Re: OT: government car tax fuckedwrights...@f2s.com
  +* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedAndrew
  |`- Re: OT: government car tax fuckedTim Lamb
  +- Re: OT: government car tax fuckedJohn Miller
  `* Re: OT: government car tax fuckedJohn Miller
   `- Re: OT: government car tax fuckedThe Natural Philosopher

Pages:12
Lifetime garantee

<ui2mdt$2ov3r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108598&group=uk.d-i-y#108598

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Lifetime garantee
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 11:39:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 11:39 UTC

The other day I needed to simply saw off a bit of plastic angle to cover up
a bit of edge damage on a shelf, and noticed my trusty junior hacksaw had no
blade. I found a packet of new ones which I'd purchased some time ago from a
large DIY store, and my friend noticed that the pack said Lifetime
guaranteed on it. I pondered this for a while and wondered if this
completely meaningless phrase was still in use anywhere. I mean you would
not say that about something like a candle, and obviously it could not be
said to be of any meaning for a hacksaw blade ether?
The first time I encountered this was on Scotch video tapes. I'm sure you
recall the animated skeletons saying their tape had a lifetime guarantee.
Lifetime of what?
Its a bit like what you find on adverts for toothpaste and the like when
they say Clinically proven and this is normally uttered by somebody in a
white coat.

Back in the day of photographs, I'd often see films for your camera made by
Kodak, suggesting you got more vibrant colours than with other films. Most
of the variability, at least as far as I knew was down to the development
and printing process.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Lifetime garantee

<05d266dd-2e8b-404e-8d7d-430d9bba6698n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108606&group=uk.d-i-y#108606

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 06:17:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Lifetime garantee
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (whisky-dave)
 by: whisky-dave - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 13:17 UTC

On Friday, 3 November 2023 at 11:44:10 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
> The other day I needed to simply saw off a bit of plastic angle to cover up
> a bit of edge damage on a shelf, and noticed my trusty junior hacksaw had no
> blade. I found a packet of new ones which I'd purchased some time ago from a
> large DIY store, and my friend noticed that the pack said Lifetime
> guaranteed on it. I pondered this for a while and wondered if this
> completely meaningless phrase was still in use anywhere.

Also who's lifetime a mayfly or a Galapagos Giant Tortoise.

and do they mean if it;s not used i.e. left in the packet .
>I mean you would
> not say that about something like a candle,

I'd give it a life for the number of hours burning

>and obviously it could not be
> said to be of any meaning for a hacksaw blade ether?
> The first time I encountered this was on Scotch video tapes. I'm sure you
> recall the animated skeletons saying their tape had a lifetime guarantee.
> Lifetime of what?

of skeleton perhaps

> Its a bit like what you find on adverts for toothpaste and the like when
> they say Clinically proven and this is normally uttered by somebody in a
> white coat.

Even I don't wear a white lab coat anymore.

> Back in the day of photographs, I'd often see films for your camera made by
> Kodak, suggesting you got more vibrant colours than with other films. Most
> of the variability, at least as far as I knew was down to the development
> and printing process.

Well not really provided you exposed it, developed it and printed as advised.
Kodak was more vibrant which was OK for most things but I prefered Fuji film
for things like gigs.
Films did have different characteristics.

Now most things are in most parts electronics even pictures lifetime warranties or guarantees
have little meaning if any instead a time period or usage is involved.

Re: Lifetime garantee

<ui2uir$u5sg$14@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108614&group=uk.d-i-y#108614

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:03:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:03 UTC

On Fri, 03 Nov 2023 11:39:35 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

> Back in the day of photographs, I'd often see films for your camera made
> by Kodak, suggesting you got more vibrant colours than with other films.
> Most of the variability, at least as far as I knew was down to the
> development and printing process.

I thought the "gold" range of films was distinctly nicer for it's colour
rendition. Especially at faster speeds.

Re: Lifetime garantee

<ui34i4$2r5kl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108615&group=uk.d-i-y#108615

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 15:45:08 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 15:45 UTC

On 03/11/2023 14:03, Jethro_uk wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Nov 2023 11:39:35 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> Back in the day of photographs, I'd often see films for your camera made
>> by Kodak, suggesting you got more vibrant colours than with other films.
>> Most of the variability, at least as far as I knew was down to the
>> development and printing process.
>
> I thought the "gold" range of films was distinctly nicer for it's colour
> rendition. Especially at faster speeds.
Brian is as usual wrong.

Kodak colors trashy and vulgar. Best skin toe Konika - the wedding
photographers favourite. Agfa had very well rendered greens and was my
favourite for landscapes.

Kodachrome very accurate and detailed but colors were muted

--
“Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,”

– Ludwig von Mises

Re: Lifetime garantee

<kqkn1rF5tp8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108618&group=uk.d-i-y#108618

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 3 Nov 2023 16:56:27 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 16:56 UTC

On 03 Nov 2023 at 15:45:08 GMT, "The Natural Philosopher"
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 03/11/2023 14:03, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Nov 2023 11:39:35 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> Back in the day of photographs, I'd often see films for your camera made
>>> by Kodak, suggesting you got more vibrant colours than with other films.
>>> Most of the variability, at least as far as I knew was down to the
>>> development and printing process.
>>
>> I thought the "gold" range of films was distinctly nicer for it's colour
>> rendition. Especially at faster speeds.
> Brian is as usual wrong.
>
> Kodak colors trashy and vulgar. Best skin toe Konika - the wedding
> photographers favourite. Agfa had very well rendered greens and was my
> favourite for landscapes.
>
> Kodachrome very accurate and detailed but colors were muted

All my Kodachome slides have kept their colours, and most are 50 years old.
Unlike deceased FiL's slides, such as when he was doing his National Service
in Cyprus in the 50s. SWMBO is going through those now, colours are very
muddy. Not sure what he used.

--
The truth of the matter is that we Scots have always been more divided amongst ourselves than pitted against the English. Scottish history before the Union of Parliaments is a gloomy, violent tale of murders, feuds, and tribal revenge. Only after the Act of Union did Highlanders and Lowlanders, Picts and Celts, begin to recognise one another as fellow citizens.

Tam Dalyell

Re: Lifetime garantee

<ui7th7$3ve4a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108695&group=uk.d-i-y#108695

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 11:15:50 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 11:15 UTC

I as the saying goes, reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Brian

--

--:
"The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 03/11/2023 14:03, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Nov 2023 11:39:35 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> Back in the day of photographs, I'd often see films for your camera made
>>> by Kodak, suggesting you got more vibrant colours than with other films.
>>> Most of the variability, at least as far as I knew was down to the
>>> development and printing process.
>>
>> I thought the "gold" range of films was distinctly nicer for it's colour
>> rendition. Especially at faster speeds.
> Brian is as usual wrong.
>
> Kodak colors trashy and vulgar. Best skin toe Konika - the wedding
> photographers favourite. Agfa had very well rendered greens and was my
> favourite for landscapes.
>
> Kodachrome very accurate and detailed but colors were muted
>
> --
> "Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,"
>
> - Ludwig von Mises

Re: Lifetime garantee

<TwidnR7Dz-MzRNX4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108735&group=uk.d-i-y#108735

From: bil...@anon.com (billy bookcase)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:18:52 -0000
 by: billy bookcase - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:18 UTC

"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The other day I needed to simply saw off a bit of plastic angle to cover
> up a bit of edge damage on a shelf, and noticed my trusty junior hacksaw
> had no blade. I found a packet of new ones which I'd purchased some time
> ago from a large DIY store, and my friend noticed that the pack said
> Lifetime guaranteed on it. I pondered this for a while and wondered if
> this completely meaningless phrase was still in use anywhere.

It probably meant the blades won't snap before the teeth wear down

> I mean you would not say that about something like a candle,

Made with poor quality wax substitute possibly a candle could
simply disuintegrate before beurning right to the ened

> and obviously it could not be said to be of any meaning for a hacksaw
> blade ether?
> The first time I encountered this was on Scotch video tapes. I'm sure you
> recall the animated skeletons saying their tape had a lifetime guarantee.
> Lifetime of what?

The tape won't wear out, before the technology becomes redundant for
most users at least. In the small print there will probably be gets
outs about the quality deteriorating if used for re-recording over
a certain number of times

> Its a bit like what you find on adverts for toothpaste and the like when
> they say Clinically proven and this is normally uttered by somebody in a
> white coat.

That usually means it was tested on monkeys or consenting prisoners and
it didn't perform noticeably worse then any of any of the competition
while their teeth didn't fall out as a result.

bb

Re: Lifetime garantee

<uib0vm$h2er$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108744&group=uk.d-i-y#108744

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 15:33:09 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 15:33 UTC

You are more cynical than I am!

The slogan of Silit Bang is a little open to interpretation as well. Bang
and its gone.
Still we can all be happy that Domestos kills 99 percent of all known
germs.

Question of the day:
Why can't you get those magic markers in white?

Brian

--

--:
"billy bookcase" <billy@anon.com> wrote in message

> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The other day I needed to simply saw off a bit of plastic angle to cover
>> up a bit of edge damage on a shelf, and noticed my trusty junior hacksaw
>> had no blade. I found a packet of new ones which I'd purchased some time
>> ago from a large DIY store, and my friend noticed that the pack said
>> Lifetime guaranteed on it. I pondered this for a while and wondered if
>> this completely meaningless phrase was still in use anywhere.
>
> It probably meant the blades won't snap before the teeth wear down
>

>> I mean you would not say that about something like a candle,
>
> Made with poor quality wax substitute possibly a candle could
> simply disuintegrate before beurning right to the ened
>

>> and obviously it could not be said to be of any meaning for a hacksaw
>> blade ether?
>> The first time I encountered this was on Scotch video tapes. I'm sure you
>> recall the animated skeletons saying their tape had a lifetime guarantee.
>> Lifetime of what?
>
> The tape won't wear out, before the technology becomes redundant for
> most users at least. In the small print there will probably be gets
> outs about the quality deteriorating if used for re-recording over
> a certain number of times
>

>> Its a bit like what you find on adverts for toothpaste and the like when
>> they say Clinically proven and this is normally uttered by somebody in a
>> white coat.
>
> That usually means it was tested on monkeys or consenting prisoners and
> it didn't perform noticeably worse then any of any of the competition
> while their teeth didn't fall out as a result.
>

> bb

Re: Lifetime garantee

<uib5nq$hluh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108752&group=uk.d-i-y#108752

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 16:54:18 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 16:54 UTC

On 06/11/2023 15:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
> You are more cynical than I am!

> Question of the day:
> Why can't you get those magic markers in white?

Because you can use Tipp-Ex.

I don't suppose "white" ink of the sort that could be used in a felt tip
pen would be opaque enough without clogging it.

--
Max Demian

Re: Lifetime garantee

<uib5uo$hluh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108753&group=uk.d-i-y#108753

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 16:58:01 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 16:58 UTC

On 03/11/2023 11:39, Brian Gaff wrote:

> The first time I encountered this was on Scotch video tapes. I'm sure you
> recall the animated skeletons saying their tape had a lifetime guarantee.
> Lifetime of what?

"...provided that the tape format is still in normal use," is what is
says on the box.

(I sent one back once as it had a horizontal streak; probably because
the tape became creased. They sent a replacement, but I still had to pay
the postage to them.)

--
Max Demian

Re: Lifetime garantee

<uid0t9$um1p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108781&group=uk.d-i-y#108781

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:44:09 +0000
 by: wasbit - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:44 UTC

On 06/11/2023 15:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
> You are more cynical than I am!
>
> The slogan of Silit Bang is a little open to interpretation as well. Bang
> and its gone.
> Still we can all be happy that Domestos kills 99 percent of all known
> germs.

Yet it's the other 1% that's the most dangerous & needs killing.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Lifetime garantee

<uidp7b$138h4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108802&group=uk.d-i-y#108802

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 16:39:04 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 16:39 UTC

Why cannot it be the same as other colours. A friend of mine wants to mark
some controls on home built gear which happens to have a black front panel.
Snopake and the like come with a brush, and hence not very controllable.
Brian

--

--:
"Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On 06/11/2023 15:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> You are more cynical than I am!
>
>> Question of the day:
>> Why can't you get those magic markers in white?
>
> Because you can use Tipp-Ex.
>
> I don't suppose "white" ink of the sort that could be used in a felt tip
> pen would be opaque enough without clogging it.
>
> --
> Max Demian

Re: Lifetime garantee

<5affaed25ccharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108805&group=uk.d-i-y#108805

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 23 17:45:03 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:45 UTC

In article <uidp7b$138h4$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why cannot it be the same as other colours. A friend of mine wants to
> mark some controls on home built gear which happens to have a black front
> panel. Snopake and the like come with a brush, and hence not very
> controllable. Brian

I have a white, extra fine point pen. You just need to shop in the right
place.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Lifetime garantee

<uiea0n$16n4f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108813&group=uk.d-i-y#108813

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 21:25:43 +0000
 by: SteveW - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 21:25 UTC

On 07/11/2023 17:45, charles wrote:
> In article <uidp7b$138h4$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why cannot it be the same as other colours. A friend of mine wants to
>> mark some controls on home built gear which happens to have a black front
>> panel. Snopake and the like come with a brush, and hence not very
>> controllable. Brian
>
> I have a white, extra fine point pen. You just need to shop in the right
> place.

A search for "paint pens" returns numerous options.

Re: Lifetime garantee

<uifqf6$1iofo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108838&group=uk.d-i-y#108838

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:12:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:12 UTC

Basf were often making tapes that creased due to their video tape sticking
to the guides and slipping on the capstan. If you looked at other makes they
often had a dull back coting which stopped the friction being so high The
old VCR double deck tapes were the worst for this, as the whole of the top
of the drum rotated and could add just enough to the friction so the bottom
edge creased on the guides. Brian

--

--:
> On 03/11/2023 11:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> The first time I encountered this was on Scotch video tapes. I'm sure you
>> recall the animated skeletons saying their tape had a lifetime guarantee.
>> Lifetime of what?
>
> "...provided that the tape format is still in normal use," is what is says
> on the box.
>
> (I sent one back once as it had a horizontal streak; probably because the
> tape became creased. They sent a replacement, but I still had to pay the
> postage to them.)
>
> --
> Max Demian

OT: government car tax fucked

<uifql8$1ipld$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108839&group=uk.d-i-y#108839

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: government car tax fucked
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:15:51 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:15 UTC

Neither the website nor the telephone system will accept my card.

Have I been debanked?

--
“Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,”

– Ludwig von Mises

Re: OT: government car tax fucked

<uifrcq$1isn2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108841&group=uk.d-i-y#108841

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT: government car tax fucked
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:28:27 +0000
 by: GB - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:28 UTC

> Neither the website nor the telephone system will accept my card.
>
> Have I been debanked?

It could easily be a problem at your bank's end.

Re: OT: government car tax fucked

<uifs77$1j14j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108843&group=uk.d-i-y#108843

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:42:31 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:42 UTC

On 08/11/2023 11:28, GB wrote:
> On 08/11/2023 11:15, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> Neither the website nor the telephone system will accept my card.
>>
>> Have I been debanked?
>
> It could easily be a problem at your bank's end.

No. It says 'your card number does not match the selected card type'. It
never got as far as the bank *at all*.

The phone service said 'the transaction could not be processed at this
time' .

The help service on the website directs me back to the website.

It is the usual Kafkaesque support roundabout.

--
"An intellectual is a person knowledgeable in one field who speaks out
only in others...”

Tom Wolfe

Re: OT: government car tax fucked

<uifsef$1j335$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108844&group=uk.d-i-y#108844

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:46:24 +0000
 by: GB - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:46 UTC

> On 08/11/2023 11:28, GB wrote:
>> On 08/11/2023 11:15, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>> Neither the website nor the telephone system will accept my card.
>>>
>>> Have I been debanked?
>>
>> It could easily be a problem at your bank's end.
>>
> No. It says 'your card number does not match the selected card type'. It
> never got as far as the bank *at all*.
>
> The phone service said 'the transaction could not be processed at this
> time' .
>
> The help service on the website directs me back to the website.
>
> It is the usual Kafkaesque support roundabout.

I'm on the phone in a queue to speak to support at my bank. It is not
much better. :)

Re: OT: government car tax fucked

<uift46$1j6ie$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108845&group=uk.d-i-y#108845

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:57:58 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:57 UTC

On 08/11/2023 11:46, GB wrote:
> On 08/11/2023 11:42, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> It could easily be a problem at your bank's end.
>>>
>> No. It says 'your card number does not match the selected card type'.
>> It never got as far as the bank *at all*.
>>
>> The phone service said 'the transaction could not be processed at this
>> time' .
>>
>> The help service on the website directs me back to the website.
>>
>> It is the usual Kafkaesque support roundabout.
>>
> I'm on the phone in a queue to speak to support at my bank. It is not
> much better. :)

Not surprised. My bank which gave me an unasked for £15,000 overdraft
limit when I opened the account with a couple of million deposit in the
late 90s, has now reduced it to £310.

If it wasn't for the fact that I never asked for wanted or needed any
overdraft at all, I might get pissed up enough to shriek down the phone
at them.

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

― Confucius

Re: OT: government car tax fucked

<xn0o93adzik5fl4018@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108846&group=uk.d-i-y#108846

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Nov 2023 12:02:47 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 12:02 UTC

On 08/11/2023 in message <uifs77$1j14j$1@dont-email.me> The Natural
Philosopher wrote:

>No. It says 'your card number does not match the selected card type'. It
>never got as far as the bank *at all*.

I've had that. My First Direct debit card is recognised by the system as
an HSBC Mastercard, might it be something like that?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You know it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold.

Re: OT: government car tax fucked

<kr1c2fFeit5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108847&group=uk.d-i-y#108847

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 12:08:47 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 12:08 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> My bank which gave me an unasked for £15,000 overdraft limit when I
> opened the account with a couple of million deposit in the late 90s, has
> now reduced it to £310.

I think it's Barclays general position to "remove stuff" nowadays. I've
only used my overdraft for a couple of days (by accident) in 39 years,
recently they've taken it away. I also had free CHAPS transfers
(occasionally useful for car and property transactions) and that's also
been taken away.

Re: OT: government car tax fucked

<2eo*7cUuz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108848&group=uk.d-i-y#108848

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 08 Nov 2023 12:45:34 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 12:45 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 08/11/2023 11:28, GB wrote:
> > On 08/11/2023 11:15, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> >> Neither the website nor the telephone system will accept my card.
> >>
> >> Have I been debanked?
> >
> > It could easily be a problem at your bank's end.
> >
> No. It says 'your card number does not match the selected card type'. It
> never got as far as the bank *at all*.

That's normally done on the first few digits of the card number, which specify
the card network (Visa/Mastercard/etc) and bank. This logic is simple
enough that 'card type' checking is often done in Javascript in the browser
- Visa is '4', Mastercard is '51-55', etc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_card_number

Given they probably don't accept Humo or LankaPay, the logic for what they
do accept is not complicated.

If you failed that check, either it was entered wrong or do you have a new
card that might have a new numbering scheme? (eg Mastercard added 2221 and
2720 in 2017).

Theo

Re: OT: government car tax fucked

<kr1fn1Fges9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108849&group=uk.d-i-y#108849

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:10:57 +0000
 by: alan_m - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:10 UTC

> It is the usual Kafkaesque support roundabout.

My exercise in futility this morning was with Royal Main. A 24 hour
tracked package is "still in transit" for the past 7 days (but
supposedly in the same depot 30 miles away from my location for the past
6 days).

If I wanted more information on the delay they suggested that I phone
them. Twenty five minutes on hold and I speak to one of their employees
who gives me exactly the same information I found on their tracking web
site. No other information was available. I was also informed that 24
hours didn't mean 24 hours but up to 10 days!

Re: OT: government car tax fucked

<uig1i3$1k09d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108850&group=uk.d-i-y#108850

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:13:39 +0000
 by: Andrew - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:13 UTC

> Neither the website nor the telephone system will accept my card.
>
> Have I been debanked?

a->u