Don't believe everything you hear or anything you say.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Audio description

SubjectAuthor
* Audio descriptionPenny
+- Re: Audio descriptionJohn Ashby
`* Re: Audio descriptionChris
 `* Re: Audio descriptionKate B
  +- Re: Audio descriptionPenny
  +* Re: Audio descriptionChris
  |+* Re: Audio descriptionVicky
  ||`* Re: Audio descriptionJohn Ashby
  || +- Re: Audio descriptionMike McMillan
  || +- Re: Audio descriptionPenny
  || `* Re: Audio descriptionNick Odell
  ||  `- Re: Audio descriptionJohn Ashby
  |`* Re: Audio descriptionJenny M Benson
  | +- Re: Audio descriptionVicky
  | +- Re: Audio descriptionChris
  | `- Re: Audio descriptionPenny
  `* Re: Audio descriptionSam Plusnet
   `* Re: Audio descriptionKate B
    +* Re: Audio descriptionNick Odell
    |+- Re: Audio descriptioncarolet
    |`* Re: Audio descriptionSam Plusnet
    | `* Re: Audio descriptionPenny
    |  `- Re: Audio descriptionMike McMillan
    `- Re: Audio descriptionChris

1
Audio description

<7vt4hhlidt2scm869fuh5c4uqdn0elg9c5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10780&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10780

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Audio description
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 23:07:20 +0100
 by: Penny - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 22:07 UTC

Audio description is not something I have ever used, although I knew it was
available these days. I must have pressed the appropriate button the other
day, because an episode of a drama series I'd recorded started describing
the opening scene. I looked for the button to switch it off, couldn't find
it, but the description shut up after that so I thought I had hit it
anyway.

Tonight I watched an episode of Van De Valk and there was the AD again.
Very useful, particularly over the opening scenes which I often forget to
watch (I do tend to treat TV as radio) and which build the basis of the
story. It also named all the recurring characters as they appeared in the
credits - I rarely remember people's names, so that was useful too. Back to
the rest of the opening and the young woman cellist described at the start
was seen to enter the Bimhuis. I don't speak Dutch, but I have been to the
Netherlands a few times, enough to know that 'uit' spells 'out' (just as
Suid - on the South African stamps - is pronounced s-ow-d) so to have the
describer call the building Bim-hue-iss, instead of Bimhouse was quite
ridiculous.

I've no idea if the AD is done by a person, or some sort of bot - either
way I feel they should have been taught how to say the 'foreign' words.

Other than that, it was very well done, synced well with the action and
didn't say more than necessary. I have found the off button now, but I may
leave it on for dramas (as long as I can FF through the ads).
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Audio description

<teuchi$2p96b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10782&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10782

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Audio description
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 03:01:22 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 02:01 UTC

On 02/09/2022 23:07, Penny wrote:
> Audio description is not something I have ever used, although I knew it was
> available these days. I must have pressed the appropriate button the other
> day, because an episode of a drama series I'd recorded started describing
> the opening scene. I looked for the button to switch it off, couldn't find
> it, but the description shut up after that so I thought I had hit it
> anyway.
>
> Tonight I watched an episode of Van De Valk and there was the AD again.
> Very useful, particularly over the opening scenes which I often forget to
> watch (I do tend to treat TV as radio) and which build the basis of the
> story. It also named all the recurring characters as they appeared in the
> credits - I rarely remember people's names, so that was useful too. Back to
> the rest of the opening and the young woman cellist described at the start
> was seen to enter the Bimhuis. I don't speak Dutch, but I have been to the
> Netherlands a few times, enough to know that 'uit' spells 'out' (just as
> Suid - on the South African stamps - is pronounced s-ow-d) so to have the
> describer call the building Bim-hue-iss, instead of Bimhouse was quite
> ridiculous.
>
> I've no idea if the AD is done by a person, or some sort of bot - either
> way I feel they should have been taught how to say the 'foreign' words.

It goes for subtitles too, Watching The Roads to Freedom I was amused to
see the aesthete Daniel talking of the writings of that great French man
of letters, Rambo.

john

Re: Audio description

<tf0dv8$2vp59$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10816&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10816

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 20:38:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ziiAGwcMMJfBZndAvARsILZVMbw=
 by: Chris - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 20:38 UTC

Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> Audio description is not something I have ever used, although I knew it was
> available these days. I must have pressed the appropriate button the other
> day, because an episode of a drama series I'd recorded started describing
> the opening scene. I looked for the button to switch it off, couldn't find
> it, but the description shut up after that so I thought I had hit it
> anyway.
>
> Tonight I watched an episode of Van De Valk and there was the AD again.
> Very useful, particularly over the opening scenes which I often forget to
> watch (I do tend to treat TV as radio) and which build the basis of the
> story. It also named all the recurring characters as they appeared in the
> credits - I rarely remember people's names, so that was useful too. Back to
> the rest of the opening and the young woman cellist described at the start
> was seen to enter the Bimhuis. I don't speak Dutch, but I have been to the
> Netherlands a few times, enough to know that 'uit' spells 'out' (just as
> Suid - on the South African stamps - is pronounced s-ow-d) so to have the
> describer call the building Bim-hue-iss, instead of Bimhouse was quite
> ridiculous.
>
> I've no idea if the AD is done by a person, or some sort of bot - either
> way I feel they should have been taught how to say the 'foreign' words.
>
> Other than that, it was very well done, synced well with the action and
> didn't say more than necessary. I have found the off button now, but I may
> leave it on for dramas (as long as I can FF through the ads).

AD leaves a lot go be desired still, apparently. The RNIB are doing some
research into it (not a lot of tv has it). The whole thing fell apart on
me. Of four long clips from different sources, only aunty beeb 1
(Attenborough: I recognised the clip) ran with the pictures so I described
it as I would were I blind, not knowing the channels nor the content: which
was an eye opener as some important clue words I misheard which the picture
might have helped with!!

Sincerely Chris

Re: Audio description

<jnht2oF77hvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10817&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10817

From: elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 21:51:37 +0100
 by: Kate B - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 20:51 UTC

On 03/09/2022 21:38, Chris wrote:
> Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> Audio description is not something I have ever used, although I knew it was
>> available these days. I must have pressed the appropriate button the other
>> day, because an episode of a drama series I'd recorded started describing
>> the opening scene. I looked for the button to switch it off, couldn't find
>> it, but the description shut up after that so I thought I had hit it
>> anyway.
>>
>> Tonight I watched an episode of Van De Valk and there was the AD again.
>> Very useful, particularly over the opening scenes which I often forget to
>> watch (I do tend to treat TV as radio) and which build the basis of the
>> story. It also named all the recurring characters as they appeared in the
>> credits - I rarely remember people's names, so that was useful too. Back to
>> the rest of the opening and the young woman cellist described at the start
>> was seen to enter the Bimhuis. I don't speak Dutch, but I have been to the
>> Netherlands a few times, enough to know that 'uit' spells 'out' (just as
>> Suid - on the South African stamps - is pronounced s-ow-d) so to have the
>> describer call the building Bim-hue-iss, instead of Bimhouse was quite
>> ridiculous.
>>
>> I've no idea if the AD is done by a person, or some sort of bot - either
>> way I feel they should have been taught how to say the 'foreign' words.
>>
>> Other than that, it was very well done, synced well with the action and
>> didn't say more than necessary. I have found the off button now, but I may
>> leave it on for dramas (as long as I can FF through the ads).
>
> AD leaves a lot go be desired still, apparently. The RNIB are doing some
> research into it (not a lot of tv has it). The whole thing fell apart on
> me. Of four long clips from different sources, only aunty beeb 1
> (Attenborough: I recognised the clip) ran with the pictures so I described
> it as I would were I blind, not knowing the channels nor the content: which
> was an eye opener as some important clue words I misheard which the picture
> might have helped with!!
>
> Sincerely Chris

I know nothing of AD on TV, but my sister does live AD for theatre
productions in Edinburgh. It's a terrific thing - if you register for
her performance (usually only one or two in the run) then you get a
touch-tour of the set, often with the actors telling you about it, then
you wear wireless headphones and my sister leads you gently through the
show, speaking in the gaps. It's certainly an art to get the right sort
of information over without speaking over the actors, but I've heard her
do it and it's really impressive.

--
Kate B

Re: Audio description

<c6l7hh1vacpfftj06710ou4u08q649rmov@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10820&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10820

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 23:33:55 +0100
 by: Penny - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 22:33 UTC

On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 21:51:37 +0100, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>I know nothing of AD on TV, but my sister does live AD for theatre
>productions in Edinburgh. It's a terrific thing - if you register for
>her performance (usually only one or two in the run) then you get a
>touch-tour of the set, often with the actors telling you about it, then
>you wear wireless headphones and my sister leads you gently through the
>show, speaking in the gaps. It's certainly an art to get the right sort
>of information over without speaking over the actors, but I've heard her
>do it and it's really impressive.

That sounds great.
The only 'review' of any kind about AD I've heard, came from Chris
McCausland (blind comedian) who almost certainly exaggerated for comic
effect, with complaints about being told, 'he shut the door', when he'd
figured that out for himself from the sound of the door closing.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Audio description

<tf1mr7$36i6v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10825&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10825

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:15:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:dJzRpNZharra+xaTVTTZPR72eF0=
 by: Chris - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:15 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/09/2022 21:38, Chris wrote:
>> Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> Audio description is not something I have ever used, although I knew it was
>>> available these days. I must have pressed the appropriate button the other
>>> day, because an episode of a drama series I'd recorded started describing
>>> the opening scene. I looked for the button to switch it off, couldn't find
>>> it, but the description shut up after that so I thought I had hit it
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> Tonight I watched an episode of Van De Valk and there was the AD again.
>>> Very useful, particularly over the opening scenes which I often forget to
>>> watch (I do tend to treat TV as radio) and which build the basis of the
>>> story. It also named all the recurring characters as they appeared in the
>>> credits - I rarely remember people's names, so that was useful too. Back to
>>> the rest of the opening and the young woman cellist described at the start
>>> was seen to enter the Bimhuis. I don't speak Dutch, but I have been to the
>>> Netherlands a few times, enough to know that 'uit' spells 'out' (just as
>>> Suid - on the South African stamps - is pronounced s-ow-d) so to have the
>>> describer call the building Bim-hue-iss, instead of Bimhouse was quite
>>> ridiculous.
>>>
>>> I've no idea if the AD is done by a person, or some sort of bot - either
>>> way I feel they should have been taught how to say the 'foreign' words.
>>>
>>> Other than that, it was very well done, synced well with the action and
>>> didn't say more than necessary. I have found the off button now, but I may
>>> leave it on for dramas (as long as I can FF through the ads).
>>
>> AD leaves a lot go be desired still, apparently. The RNIB are doing some
>> research into it (not a lot of tv has it). The whole thing fell apart on
>> me. Of four long clips from different sources, only aunty beeb 1
>> (Attenborough: I recognised the clip) ran with the pictures so I described
>> it as I would were I blind, not knowing the channels nor the content: which
>> was an eye opener as some important clue words I misheard which the picture
>> might have helped with!!
>>
>> Sincerely Chris
>>
> I know nothing of AD on TV, but my sister does live AD for theatre
> productions in Edinburgh. It's a terrific thing - if you register for
> her performance (usually only one or two in the run) then you get a
> touch-tour of the set, often with the actors telling you about it, then
> you wear wireless headphones and my sister leads you gently through the
> show, speaking in the gaps. It's certainly an art to get the right sort
> of information over without speaking over the actors, but I've heard her
> do it and it's really impressive.

Theatre is an immersive experience and my friends who use it say it makes
all the difference.

Its not the same animal on TV. For a start only the most popular
programmes stand a chance of having it. And only *ten per cent* are
expected to be AD max. And its hit and miss once its on catch up has gone,
or even if it lasts a whole series apparently.

I believe cinema is the same: one has to be on the ball all the time.
Prime films don’t AD even when labelled: obviously penalised by them over
the pond. I gather Netflix is much better.

Mrs McT

Re: Audio description

<3eo8hh5j9fklgps19upq0loc349oedevp6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10829&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10829

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 09:29:18 +0100
 by: Vicky - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:29 UTC

On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:15:35 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> AD leaves a lot go be desired still, apparently. The RNIB are doing some
>>> research into it (not a lot of tv has it). The whole thing fell apart on
>>> me. Of four long clips from different sources, only aunty beeb 1
>>> (Attenborough: I recognised the clip) ran with the pictures so I described
>>> it as I would were I blind, not knowing the channels nor the content: which
>>> was an eye opener as some important clue words I misheard which the picture
>>> might have helped with!!
>>>
>>> Sincerely Chris
>>>
>> I know nothing of AD on TV, but my sister does live AD for theatre
>> productions in Edinburgh. It's a terrific thing - if you register for
>> her performance (usually only one or two in the run) then you get a
>> touch-tour of the set, often with the actors telling you about it, then
>> you wear wireless headphones and my sister leads you gently through the
>> show, speaking in the gaps. It's certainly an art to get the right sort
>> of information over without speaking over the actors, but I've heard her
>> do it and it's really impressive.
>>

>Theatre is an immersive experience and my friends who use it say it makes
>all the difference.
>
>Its not the same animal on TV. For a start only the most popular
>programmes stand a chance of having it. And only *ten per cent* are
>expected to be AD max. And its hit and miss once its on catch up has gone,
>or even if it lasts a whole series apparently.
>
>I believe cinema is the same: one has to be on the ball all the time.
>Prime films don’t AD even when labelled: obviously penalised by them over
>the pond. I gather Netflix is much better.
>
>Mrs McT

A lot of programmes still don't have subtitles either.

Re: Audio description

<tf1p3n$36o2p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10830&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10830

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 10:53:38 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 09:53 UTC

On 04/09/2022 09:29, Vicky wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:15:35 -0000 (UTC), Chris
> <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I know nothing of AD on TV, but my sister does live AD for theatre
>>> productions in Edinburgh. It's a terrific thing - if you register for
>>> her performance (usually only one or two in the run) then you get a
>>> touch-tour of the set, often with the actors telling you about it, then
>>> you wear wireless headphones and my sister leads you gently through the
>>> show, speaking in the gaps. It's certainly an art to get the right sort
>>> of information over without speaking over the actors, but I've heard her
>>> do it and it's really impressive.
>>>

>> Theatre is an immersive experience and my friends who use it say it makes
>> all the difference.
>>
>> Its not the same animal on TV. For a start only the most popular
>> programmes stand a chance of having it. And only *ten per cent* are
>> expected to be AD max. And its hit and miss once its on catch up has gone,
>> or even if it lasts a whole series apparently.
>>
>> I believe cinema is the same: one has to be on the ball all the time.
>> Prime films don’t AD even when labelled: obviously penalised by them over
>> the pond. I gather Netflix is much better.
>>
>> Mrs McT
>>

> A lot of programmes still don't have subtitles either.

The ones that annoy me have subtitles which lag the action by about a
minute and a half so you get the dialogue for two scenes ago.

john

Re: Audio description

<tf1qba$36s3a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10831&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10831

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 09:15:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8VzKqBFkGy3NhZJSt4nTndOscwM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 09:15 UTC

John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 04/09/2022 09:29, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:15:35 -0000 (UTC), Chris
>> <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> Theatre is an immersive experience and my friends who use it say it makes
>>> all the difference.
>>>
>>> Its not the same animal on TV. For a start only the most popular
>>> programmes stand a chance of having it. And only *ten per cent* are
>>> expected to be AD max. And its hit and miss once its on catch up has gone,
>>> or even if it lasts a whole series apparently.
>>>
>>> I believe cinema is the same: one has to be on the ball all the time.
>>> Prime films don’t AD even when labelled: obviously penalised by them over
>>> the pond. I gather Netflix is much better.
>>>
>>> Mrs McT
>>>

>> A lot of programmes still don't have subtitles either.
>
> The ones that annoy me have subtitles which lag the action by about a
> minute and a half so you get the dialogue for two scenes ago.
>
> john

Auntie Beeb would probably call that ‘Watch Again’.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Audio description

<pas8hh5t8od6f203ccrqcpgv9cggo2839p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10832&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10832

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 10:41:11 +0100
 by: Penny - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 09:41 UTC

On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 10:53:38 +0100, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
scrawled in the dust...

>On 04/09/2022 09:29, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:15:35 -0000 (UTC), Chris
>> <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> Its not the same animal on TV. For a start only the most popular
>>> programmes stand a chance of having it. And only *ten per cent* are
>>> expected to be AD max. And its hit and miss once its on catch up has gone,
>>> or even if it lasts a whole series apparently.
>>>
>>> I believe cinema is the same: one has to be on the ball all the time.
>>> Prime films don’t AD even when labelled: obviously penalised by them over
>>> the pond. I gather Netflix is much better.
>>>
>> A lot of programmes still don't have subtitles either.
>
>The ones that annoy me have subtitles which lag the action by about a
>minute and a half so you get the dialogue for two scenes ago.

I vaguely recall my humax box has a way of syncing it but I have yet to
find the manual and check. Sometimes just switching the subs off and on
again helps. US programmes have more ad breaks which mess it up, I think.

I always switch the subs off for 'live' programmes (except the weather
forecast, because the errors amuse me), they are often wrong and always out
of sync, even on the repeat showings.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Audio description

<jnjadgFdmqsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10833&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10833

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 10:45:20 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 09:45 UTC

On 04/09/2022 09:15, Chris wrote:
> Theatre is an immersive experience and my friends who use it say it makes
> all the difference.
>
> Its not the same animal on TV. For a start only the most popular
> programmes stand a chance of having it. And only*ten per cent* are
> expected to be AD max. And its hit and miss once its on catch up has gone,
> or even if it lasts a whole series apparently.
>
> I believe cinema is the same: one has to be on the ball all the time.
> Prime films don’t AD even when labelled: obviously penalised by them over
> the pond. I gather Netflix is much better.

On a vaguely related note, I was working at my desk yesterday, waiting
for The Brokenwood Mysteries to start. When it did start I thought I'd
just finish the bit I was working on and then go and sit where I could
see the TV.

It ended up with me working at the computer throughout the whole
programme and I felt that I missed nothing. I reflected at the time
that a *good* television programme really needed it to be essential that
it was *viewed*, otherwise it was rather a waste of the medium and might
as well have been broadcast on radio.

Of course, I now realise I should have been saying to myself "... but
it's good that - at least sometimes - blind people can enjoy a tv
programme as much as the rest of us."
--

Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Audio description

<pm69hhp0uac39pbpqem5b7kqhp58b2qpb0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10837&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10837

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 13:33:45 +0100
 by: Vicky - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 12:33 UTC

On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 10:45:20 +0100, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 04/09/2022 09:15, Chris wrote:
r.

>On a vaguely related note, I was working at my desk yesterday, waiting
>for The Brokenwood Mysteries to start. When it did start I thought I'd
>just finish the bit I was working on and then go and sit where I could
>see the TV.

I really liked Brokenwood but have seen them all, some more than once.
It is one of UK tv channels daughter helps run and she says a new
series is being made :)
>It ended up with me working at the computer throughout the whole
>programme and I felt that I missed nothing. I reflected at the time
>that a *good* television programme really needed it to be essential that
>it was *viewed*, otherwise it was rather a waste of the medium and might
>as well have been broadcast on radio.
>
>Of course, I now realise I should have been saying to myself "... but
>it's good that - at least sometimes - blind people can enjoy a tv
>programme as much as the rest of us."

Re: Audio description

<i0a9hhlac5027tpgdu1lqi7eerv837nqdb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10841&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10841

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 14:36:07 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 13:36 UTC

wrote:

>On 04/09/2022 09:29, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:15:35 -0000 (UTC), Chris
>> <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> Theatre is an immersive experience and my friends who use it say it makes
>>> all the difference.
>>>
>>> Its not the same animal on TV. For a start only the most popular
>>> programmes stand a chance of having it. And only *ten per cent* are
>>> expected to be AD max. And its hit and miss once its on catch up has gone,
>>> or even if it lasts a whole series apparently.
>>>
>>> I believe cinema is the same: one has to be on the ball all the time.
>>> Prime films don’t AD even when labelled: obviously penalised by them over
>>> the pond. I gather Netflix is much better.
>>>
>>> Mrs McT
>>>

>> A lot of programmes still don't have subtitles either.
>
>The ones that annoy me have subtitles which lag the action by about a
>minute and a half so you get the dialogue for two scenes ago.

As Penny has already said, there may be a synchronisation tool
available in the menu of whatever device you are using to watch the
programme.

I watch very little but when I do, I like to have the subtitles on.
Because I don't have a TV I play almost everything on my PC using VLC
Media Player. In the Tools menu of VLC there is a specific feature to
synchronise the subtitles and it seems to work very well.

Nick

Re: Audio description

<tf2bdc$38aba$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10844&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10844

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 15:52:43 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 14:52 UTC

On 04/09/2022 14:36, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 10:53:38 +0100, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 04/09/2022 09:29, Vicky wrote:

>>> A lot of programmes still don't have subtitles either.
>>
>> The ones that annoy me have subtitles which lag the action by about a
>> minute and a half so you get the dialogue for two scenes ago.
>>
> As Penny has already said, there may be a synchronisation tool
> available in the menu of whatever device you are using to watch the
> programme.
>
> I watch very little but when I do, I like to have the subtitles on.
> Because I don't have a TV I play almost everything on my PC using VLC
> Media Player. In the Tools menu of VLC there is a specific feature to
> synchronise the subtitles and it seems to work very well.
>
> Nick

This is iPlayer on Firefox under Fedora. I've tried turning subtitles
off and on again (thank you The IT Crowd) to no avail. Mine dew, a
recent update of the h264 codec (me neither) seems to have broken
Firefox's video playing capacity, especially iPlayer so <sigh>.

john

Re: Audio description

<WD6RK.466192$f0c6.418396@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10851&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10851

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 20:03:17 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 19:03 UTC

On 03-Sep-22 21:51, Kate B wrote:
> I know nothing of AD on TV, but my sister does live AD for theatre
> productions in Edinburgh. It's a terrific thing - if you register for
> her performance (usually only one or two in the run) then you get a
> touch-tour of the set, often with the actors telling you about it, then
> you wear wireless headphones and my sister leads you gently through the
> show, speaking in the gaps. It's certainly an art to get the right sort
> of information over without speaking over the actors, but I've heard her
> do it and it's really impressive.

A jolly useful service, but I'm ashamed to say it made me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpeQuxaoh4

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Audio description

<jnkj87Fk4bcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10854&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10854

From: elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 22:22:16 +0100
 by: Kate B - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 21:22 UTC

On 04/09/2022 20:03, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 03-Sep-22 21:51, Kate B wrote:
>> I know nothing of AD on TV, but my sister does live AD for theatre
>> productions in Edinburgh. It's a terrific thing - if you register for
>> her performance (usually only one or two in the run) then you get a
>> touch-tour of the set, often with the actors telling you about it,
>> then you wear wireless headphones and my sister leads you gently
>> through the show, speaking in the gaps. It's certainly an art to get
>> the right sort of information over without speaking over the actors,
>> but I've heard her do it and it's really impressive.
>
> A jolly useful service, but I'm ashamed to say it made me think of this:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpeQuxaoh4

Well, not that she actually needs to make the Noises as such, of
course... But this gives occasion for a kind of proxy knickerflash, in
that the Bonzo Dogs played in my husband's garden in Blackheath, about
fifteen years before I arrived... I'm still not quite sure how that
happened, his tastes ran more to Bach than Bonzo, but all our neighbours
still had fond memories of it.

--
Kate B

Re: Audio description

<0udahhpcuks4sn2a7a5sgurb9tbt2rvc5g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10855&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10855

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 00:42:28 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 23:42 UTC

On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 22:22:16 +0100, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 04/09/2022 20:03, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 03-Sep-22 21:51, Kate B wrote:
>>> I know nothing of AD on TV, but my sister does live AD for theatre
>>> productions in Edinburgh. It's a terrific thing - if you register for
>>> her performance (usually only one or two in the run) then you get a
>>> touch-tour of the set, often with the actors telling you about it,
>>> then you wear wireless headphones and my sister leads you gently
>>> through the show, speaking in the gaps. It's certainly an art to get
>>> the right sort of information over without speaking over the actors,
>>> but I've heard her do it and it's really impressive.
>>
>> A jolly useful service, but I'm ashamed to say it made me think of this:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpeQuxaoh4
>>
>Well, not that she actually needs to make the Noises as such, of
>course... But this gives occasion for a kind of proxy knickerflash, in
>that the Bonzo Dogs played in my husband's garden in Blackheath, about
>fifteen years before I arrived... I'm still not quite sure how that
>happened, his tastes ran more to Bach than Bonzo, but all our neighbours
>still had fond memories of it.

Very fine knickers indeed!

Nick

Re: Audio description

<tf4cf1$3hc3r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10863&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10863

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 08:36:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WLznQinHGzTVIWgtxCD+9cBgABM=
 by: Chris - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 08:36 UTC

Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 04/09/2022 09:15, Chris wrote:
>> Theatre is an immersive experience and my friends who use it say it makes
>> all the difference.
>>
>> Its not the same animal on TV. For a start only the most popular
>> programmes stand a chance of having it. And only*ten per cent* are
>> expected to be AD max. And its hit and miss once its on catch up has gone,
>> or even if it lasts a whole series apparently.
>>
>> I believe cinema is the same: one has to be on the ball all the time.
>> Prime films don’t AD even when labelled: obviously penalised by them over
>> the pond. I gather Netflix is much better.
>
> On a vaguely related note, I was working at my desk yesterday, waiting
> for The Brokenwood Mysteries to start. When it did start I thought I'd
> just finish the bit I was working on and then go and sit where I could
> see the TV.
>
> It ended up with me working at the computer throughout the whole
> programme and I felt that I missed nothing. I reflected at the time
> that a *good* television programme really needed it to be essential that
> it was *viewed*, otherwise it was rather a waste of the medium and might
> as well have been broadcast on radio.
>
> Of course, I now realise I should have been saying to myself "... but
> it's good that - at least sometimes - blind people can enjoy a tv
> programme as much as the rest of us."

I thought that till I watched a piece without AD and with. Even just a few
words to describe the ‘star’ of the moment made all the difference in a C4
clip on a research project the other day especially as I missed its name
the first time.

Sincerely Chris

Re: Audio description

<tf4cf2$3hc3r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10864&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10864

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 08:36:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MWM80MP3x+2eslnOiM4u/bnnJPs=
 by: Chris - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 08:36 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 04/09/2022 20:03, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 03-Sep-22 21:51, Kate B wrote:
>>> I know nothing of AD on TV, but my sister does live AD for theatre
>>> productions in Edinburgh. It's a terrific thing - if you register for
>>> her performance (usually only one or two in the run) then you get a
>>> touch-tour of the set, often with the actors telling you about it,
>>> then you wear wireless headphones and my sister leads you gently
>>> through the show, speaking in the gaps. It's certainly an art to get
>>> the right sort of information over without speaking over the actors,
>>> but I've heard her do it and it's really impressive.
>>
>> A jolly useful service, but I'm ashamed to say it made me think of this:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpeQuxaoh4
>>
> Well, not that she actually needs to make the Noises as such, of
> course... But this gives occasion for a kind of proxy knickerflash, in
> that the Bonzo Dogs played in my husband's garden in Blackheath, about
> fifteen years before I arrived... I'm still not quite sure how that
> happened, his tastes ran more to Bach than Bonzo, but all our neighbours
> still had fond memories of it.

The bind moggles

Mrs McT

Re: Audio description

<62gbhhhhgcv8a39c940ohodhos9r6bis8k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10869&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10869

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 10:31:39 +0100
 by: Penny - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 09:31 UTC

On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 10:45:20 +0100, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>On a vaguely related note, I was working at my desk yesterday, waiting
>for The Brokenwood Mysteries to start. When it did start I thought I'd
>just finish the bit I was working on and then go and sit where I could
>see the TV.
>
>It ended up with me working at the computer throughout the whole
>programme and I felt that I missed nothing. I reflected at the time
>that a *good* television programme really needed it to be essential that
>it was *viewed*, otherwise it was rather a waste of the medium and might
>as well have been broadcast on radio.
>
>Of course, I now realise I should have been saying to myself "... but
>it's good that - at least sometimes - blind people can enjoy a tv
>programme as much as the rest of us."

My enjoyment of some TV drama would definitely have been enhanced by *not*
glancing at the screen from time to time, particularly those with the set
dresser who has an obsession with flowering wisteria at all times of the
year! I think I've seen it on 3 different ITV crime dramas now.

OTOH, the people who should be shot, make heavy use of brief, (not very)
close-ups of written notes or text messages without any use of a voice
reading them out.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Audio description

<tf4fuh$3hmhi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10870&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10870

From: carolet....@gmail.com (carolet)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 10:36:18 +0100
 by: carolet - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 09:36 UTC

On 05/09/2022 00:42, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 22:22:16 +0100, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:

>>> A jolly useful service, but I'm ashamed to say it made me think of this:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpeQuxaoh4
>>>
>> Well, not that she actually needs to make the Noises as such, of
>> course... But this gives occasion for a kind of proxy knickerflash, in
>> that the Bonzo Dogs played in my husband's garden in Blackheath, about
>> fifteen years before I arrived... I'm still not quite sure how that
>> happened, his tastes ran more to Bach than Bonzo, but all our neighbours
>> still had fond memories of it.
>
> Very fine knickers indeed!
>
> Nick

Too good to bury!

--
CaroleT

Re: Audio description

<HjrRK.468920$f0c6.184646@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10871&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10871

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 19:35:18 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 18:35 UTC

On 05-Sep-22 0:42, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 22:22:16 +0100, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:

>>> A jolly useful service, but I'm ashamed to say it made me think of this:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpeQuxaoh4
>>>
>> Well, not that she actually needs to make the Noises as such, of
>> course... But this gives occasion for a kind of proxy knickerflash, in
>> that the Bonzo Dogs played in my husband's garden in Blackheath, about
>> fifteen years before I arrived... I'm still not quite sure how that
>> happened, his tastes ran more to Bach than Bonzo, but all our neighbours
>> still had fond memories of it.
>
> Very fine knickers indeed!

Indeed. Worthy of a Blue Plaque I think.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Audio description

<c1rchhlkjv2bgjt41pecq7tf2ivtbq9dqa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10872&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10872

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 22:38:37 +0100
 by: Penny - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 21:38 UTC

On Mon, 5 Sep 2022 19:35:18 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...

>On 05-Sep-22 0:42, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 22:22:16 +0100, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Well, not that she actually needs to make the Noises as such, of
>>> course... But this gives occasion for a kind of proxy knickerflash, in
>>> that the Bonzo Dogs played in my husband's garden in Blackheath, about
>>> fifteen years before I arrived... I'm still not quite sure how that
>>> happened, his tastes ran more to Bach than Bonzo, but all our neighbours
>>> still had fond memories of it.
>>
>> Very fine knickers indeed!
>
>Indeed. Worthy of a Blue Plaque I think.

That would make the knickers most uncomfortable to wear...
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Audio description

<tf6sin$3rodt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10873&group=uk.media.radio.archers#10873

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 07:24:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MOzw5VMMgOAXYzaun38CPmGv3DU=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 07:24 UTC

Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2022 19:35:18 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> scrawled in
> the dust...
>
>> On 05-Sep-22 0:42, Nick Odell wrote:

>>> Very fine knickers indeed!
>>
>> Indeed. Worthy of a Blue Plaque I think.
>
> That would make the knickers most uncomfortable to wear...

Perhaps just a water bowl then?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan